Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a great idea. What is this queen stuff you are referring to?

well Kay the last couple of years, each month we draw a name from active members on the list, and pick one, and she becomes our ruling BIggest Square, and all that can, shower her with her preferred color, and sized squares! Check the first post of this thread, for the list of all whom have had the honor!!!

I have been getting "reigned" on, indeed! :) I'm on vacation at the beginning of August and I think I'll start looking at putting things together. I don't know that I have enough to do it completely, but I'm probably getting close. :)

Oh that is wonderful news, do let us know, everyone in fact, if you are in need of a few to complete your ghan!! The sooner you finish, the sooner we get eye candy< lol

Hi everybody,

Katie, I have not been able to put my squares together yet, but I still have them. I am waiting until I get the number of squares that I need in the pastelghan before I put any squares together. 

I hope that everybody is well. 

Did anybody hear about the plane crash yesterday in Russia? I have been following the news on CNN and one or two of the other networks.

The pastel ghan sounds delish, love to see it done, and yes, what a tragedy, 23 americans on that plane........

Good morning!

ImmaFreek - glad you got your meds straighted out!

bgs - yeah glad I thought to pm grannyannie over on ravelry! Much 'busier' place over there it seems!

cshort - enjoy and don't worry about us!

katie - hey there! No didn't go back to sleep but slept last nite ......I'm an every-other-nite sleeper most of the time!

everyone else - hi!

Good morning to all! I'm off today (summer hrs) and sending kiddles to summer camp - they go bowling today. I have a lot of errands to run, lunch with a friend, and I'll be taking two big walks!

Hugs!

kuddles

Oh, lol was thinking you would fall aslelep at the computer, darn it, but then you may have overslept, so all is good!!

well it was not your recommended breakfast yesterday,Hubby offered a brownie from his co worker,had her goodies before,but yesterday I was so energized from it,got lots done,inside the house and out, these days my umph is at a low ebb,have yet to tackle

this darn morning glory vines,took another morning stroll around and found morrrrre of them,ugh

Brownies are always a refreshing pick me up, anytime of the day, in my book!!

Sorry Katie my poor little blocks are indeed shivering in a box. I found some and need to find the rest from the move. Thought they were all together but I guess not. Hopefully soon I can start putting squares together. I have a few boxes full of them .... I keep making them too and in the box they go. So my goal for the rest of the year will be to put them together. :)

Oh my Sandra, now I shall worry, do talk to them, and let them know, soon, soon little squares, you will become a part of something bigger..Patience!!!!

oh wow bgs, that is some work there,but the sentiment surely out weighs it!! You did a beautiful job on all of them, and I bet your sisters, and you, truely cherrish these ghans!!!   

Did I hear you say, you are going to start collecting squares again now??? he he he

Lacey, Jessica is doing a bang up job, she even has the technique down pretty good, with those little fingers, love it, tell her from all of us, GOOD JOB JESSICA!! and do post when and if she finishes!!!!!!!!!!

In other news, yep, always thinking, always a dangerous state of mind for ME to be in, lol thanks Bgs.

I have done a scarf, dug out some of my pretty specialty yarns, homespun, and boucille, and such, and seeing what I can come up with to use a bit of that up, as it all won't fit in one basket, which is disturbing for me,lol Like yarn, in one place, is a rule I sincerely try to follow, ha ha. but this group of pretties, are not cooperating, sooo, I will just have to use some up, on hats, and or scarves, and such... I did find one scarf I made last year, and a little note tucked inside, apparently it was another one for grannyannie, as the noted started out, Hi Ann, here is another one for you!! so,,,,might send that along closer to winter, or add it to a donation pile, whatever comes first, lol   

Other than that, craft room is a mess now, with digging out yarns and looms and such, lol, but it will soon be tidy again, if I can get my doggie off the floor in there long enough to tidy up a bit, she loves to spend time in there with me, but is the devil to try to get her out, lol, she likes the ac vent in there, and usually lies right in front of it, so I put her rug there, lol 

Oh Bgs, question for you dear one, i have never tried a scarf on the knifty knitter looms, did you use the straight loom, or a round one, and if so, which round one, lol...I have been meaning to try that for a while, maybe now is the time, lol.

nothing else here, starting to think about putting together a supper in an hour or so, I have cabbage, I have boneless pork ribs, i may make my mom's favorite meal, cabbage and ribs, to combine into a soup almost, with onions, and carrots if desired, it is so good, course I like cooked cabbage, sooo there ya go.....

I never have known what saurekraut was, and someone told me a while back, it;s like a soured cooked cabbage dish, hum. never knew that, thought the saurekraut was a plant, you know, like uh, that other strange one, rutabega, lol

Never had that either, I lead a pretty sheltered life here, I guess!! all for now, hope to see you all soon, again, brenda, thanks so much for posting eye candy, and lacey too, with the video, nice and clear, did you use a cell phone, or a camera to do it with!!!!

I have been getting "reigned" on, indeed! :) I'm on vacation at the beginning of August and I think I'll start looking at putting things together. I don't know that I have enough to do it completely, but I'm probably getting close. :)

yay, you go girl!!!!!!!!

no katy, I don't need squares, I am still putting together ghans from my aunt's squares.  I already have afghans that friends and family have made for me through the years.  I used most of the squares from my box to complete my sisters' ghans but did keep back a few that  mom made and some my aunt made in case I want to do something with them.  Right now I am trying to get ghans together for neices and nephew by Christmas out of my aunts squares.  I use the straight knifty knitter loom to make scarves.  I found instructions some place on line on how to double knit them on the loom.  

Katy sounds like you have some good ideas to keep us busy. I think I nearly have a scarf done on my knifty knitter loom that needs to be freed.  I started it some time ago and then laid it aside.

pineknott, you inspired me to go out and free one of my lilac bushes.  The poor thing was covered in grape vine and surrounded by polk. Usually when I want to clean up an area I immediately run into poison ivy but I didn't find any this time..............which may turn out to  be a bad thing. 

I used to think I would not like joining squares for an afghan but I got over it a couple of years ago.  An aunt passed away and I inherited many totes of yarn and lots of squares.  This was very ironic because I had told Sue that I didn't want to collect squares here because I knew I would never get around to putting them together.  When I  started looking through the boxes (in July) there were 4 that had my sisters and my name in them.  These boxes had a few squares that my mom had started (she has been gone for 20 years) along with several squares my aunt had made to go with them.  I can tell their work apart.  I asked my sisters what they wanted me to do with their squares knowing that I was the only one that could put them together.  There were 42 squares in each box but one sister wanted a larger afghan.  I wanted theirs to be the same size so I made a few squares and then robbed my box of some squares so I could get them done by Christmas.  Unfortunately my mom and aunt had knotted and clipped the ends instead of weaving them in and some squares were already coming apart.  I spent hours tacking ends down with sewing thread (3 afghans, 56 squares each, at least 6 ends per square).  I used the flat braid method of  joining these.  There is a slight difference in the colors of the buff RHSS that my aunt used to edge the squares and what i used to put them together using the flat braid method.  There were a lot of smiles (and tears) that Christmas.

attachicon.gifGlenda afghan.jpg  attachicon.gifMary afghan.jpg  attachicon.gifLiz afghan.jpg

lovely blankets you've made.I've never been bothered by poison ivy,but poison sumac got me once as a kid

Bgs, those afghans are 100% gorgeous! That is a wonderful gift!

cshort, terrific work on those wallets! I always love seeing sewing machine eye candy in this thread; we have talented seamstresses here!

I was surprised and sorry to hear about snowflake. I didn't connect the name with the screenname either and I was shocked when Katie said who Lisa was.... It's hard to believe.

I'm getting pestered to get off the computer now; sometimes it's frustrating when he wants to do something to help me relax but the thing doesn't involve me actually relaxing, because pulling me away from something I'm in the middle of is the opposite of relaxing.... And sighing at me heavily doesn't help any. :P

And this does count as something to do because I added "check in with Crochetville" to my habitRPG list for Fridays! Katie, I think it was you had asked about that before and I never got a chance to explain it.... It's a website where you can list habits that you want to make or break, things you need to do, schedules you need to keep, and it turns it into a game for you! You get gold and experience when you get things done, and lose hit points if you don't do get things done, which is why I need to do some things before I can "relax" :P It's a lot of fun, and Little VIking has been enjoying playing along with me and looking at the pictures for quests and my new gear. Oh, and you can buy rewards with your gold, there's in game stuff like equipment for your character, but you can also put your own rewards in, and set the cost where you like to be a good motivation.... I've found that new Lego sets make good motivation for me. :D But I've got their cost set pretty high now, since we do have quite a few Legos already. I decided to use a 10x multiplier, so if I have a Lego set that cost me ten dollars, I don't get to open it until I have 100 gold (I have to earn both buying the set *and* opening it it up, separately; that's my rule).

Ok, that's all for tonight from me. If I don't get in soon, at least I'll see you next Friday! This weekend is my great-uncle's memorial service, so it's going to be a long weekend and then probably a long week after.... :(

Katy sounds like you have some good ideas to keep us busy. I think I nearly have a scarf done on my knifty knitter loom that needs to be freed.  I started it some time ago and then laid it aside.

pineknott, you inspired me to go out and free one of my lilac bushes.  The poor thing was covered in grape vine and surrounded by polk. Usually when I want to clean up an area I immediately run into poison ivy but I didn't find any this time..............which may turn out to  be a bad thing. 

I used to think I would not like joining squares for an afghan but I got over it a couple of years ago.  An aunt passed away and I inherited many totes of yarn and lots of squares.  This was very ironic because I had told Sue that I didn't want to collect squares here because I knew I would never get around to putting them together.  When I  started looking through the boxes (in July) there were 4 that had my sisters and my name in them.  These boxes had a few squares that my mom had started (she has been gone for 20 years) along with several squares my aunt had made to go with them.  I can tell their work apart.  I asked my sisters what they wanted me to do with their squares knowing that I was the only one that could put them together.  There were 42 squares in each box but one sister wanted a larger afghan.  I wanted theirs to be the same size so I made a few squares and then robbed my box of some squares so I could get them done by Christmas.  Unfortunately my mom and aunt had knotted and clipped the ends instead of weaving them in and some squares were already coming apart.  I spent hours tacking ends down with sewing thread (3 afghans, 56 squares each, at least 6 ends per square).  I used the flat braid method of  joining these.  There is a slight difference in the colors of the buff RHSS that my aunt used to edge the squares and what i used to put them together using the flat braid method.  There were a lot of smiles (and tears) that Christmas.

attachicon.gifGlenda afghan.jpg  attachicon.gifMary afghan.jpg  attachicon.gifLiz afghan.jpg

Beautiful afghans!

Good morning!

Couldn't sleep so thought would check in.

Good morning!

Wow, lots of love and work went into those afghans Brenda! Yikes! They look great of course......you are an inspiration! I have enough squares to probably make 3 afghans, just gotta get my mojo back to do them!

I was able to finish up 3 small in the hoop projects yesterday on my embroidery  machine, errands and lunch before picking up kiddles. Yes yes I know I owe several pictures for you guys to see....gotta get moving! I'll try, I promise!

Have a great day all!

kuddles

Hi all!!
Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday so far... Im off to the store in a few, and bank, before noon when it closes, the bank I mean, lol... I never woulda though of using regular thread to tie down those nasty short knotted ends, I had a gal once that made hers like that as well, and was forever  telling her, please just leave the ends loose, Ill do them, lol we were in a project together, and didn't want all hers falling apart after the first wash, soooo. I did hers as well as my own, but my name was on it too, so my reputation was on the line as well, and true, I couldn't let them go out knowing they might fall apart!! That was hours and hours of work you must have put in, but the effort was truley worth the end result Brenda!

Ok, all for now, on my way, have fun today, it's a nice day here!!

Good morning everyone. We are out doing some running today then going to my MILs house to hangout and visit for the day. Jessica told me all day yesterday how much she loves to crochet and was wanting to make squares to put together :) i told her i have some she can help me with and today I am going to show her how to make squares :woo shes so very excited. The blanket os just too much to travel with for her just yet.

Hope everyone is doing well. :hug

Thank you all for your kind words about the afghans. I thought we needed some pictures. ;)   It was a bigger job than I ever thought I wanted to do but I felt like I just had to do it and not procrastinate.  I was not fond of the colors of the squares but the beige made them look pretty good.  That was an interesting lesson.  Now I know the hardest part is laying the squares out in the order you want them not putting them together.  

I have spent the day with my niece, sister, dad, and stepmom.  Not doing anything much so its been a more relaxing day than running around doing lots of things.

afternoon all!!!

what  did you all do today?   I took advantage of some time all to myself, lol, and went through a few things, to detash, not yarn though, not y et, lol    But I was wondering if anyone of you do scrapbooking, cause I have some of those fancy edge craft scizzors, I won't be using ever, lol... I bought them, a long time ago, several pairs, thinking I might find some time to scrapbook, but honestly, it just doesn't interest, me, I know, Im weird, lol

So there are some of them, and some battery operated singer scizzors too, still work, in fact i never used those either, I tried cutting a strand of yarn with them, but they are made for fabric,,,,what! no good to me, lol

I will take some pics and maybe put them up on the destashing thread probably tomorrow, or Tuesday, but wanted to give you all a heads up first!! pm me, if  you think you might want them, Ill sell them or trade them maybe, for oh, I dunno, yarn or soemthing equally deliscious!!!  some of the fancy scizzors, and I consistantly spell that word wrong, lol     still have tags on them, I think most are made by provo crafts..lemme know ha ha, we'll talk a deal, lol...

I did throw away some scraps of yarn, I mean, if they don't make a yo yo, out they go go, its  a no no,. but...... you know know!!

I don't feel guilty, and i WON"t go into that trash bin, and fetch them out again, i Won't, i tell ya!! Out of sight, out of mind, right!!

and well, back to the summer heat, not bad in here at all, in fact, since we added 12 oz. (ac serviceman) of freon to it at the beginning of the summer, it has really been pushing out that cold air, unlike last year, towards the end of the summer, we were noticing a definate difference in output and cold, so glad it fixed it, knew it would, told him that is what it was,,,,he he he, I googled it!!

That is one thing he won't mess with, the freon is soooo expensive, and he does not have his guages anymore anyway!!

And I pulled out the three or four afghans I have ready for whatever reason, well, three of them are going out around Christmas, but I like to keep a spare or two around for unexpected gifts needed, lol never know when you run into someone on the street,that is jones" ing for a ghan, right!! Jk, I mean for when I need a gift on short notice of course!

Oh yes, and now crochet talk, where was my head,,,,well, I have started on a triangle shawl, or I dunno, made from some of my stash of sports yarns, and working on weeding the smaller balls out, by using them up...If I don't like it as a shawl, i ll decrease each row, and make it a baby ghan, or something!! I'ts so far turning out nicely even, lol off white, with stripes of blue fleck, and some suede type tan I wanted to use up, so far, looking good, about 26 to 30 inches across so far, so a ways to go!!

Ill keep ya posted!!

If it weren't 3 pm,l would definately have a snack of cabbage soup, but if i do it now, I won't be hungry for supper, which is going to be chicken something, fried fingers, or hot chicken sandwichs, I dunno yet!!   

Ok, so Im off for now, got an emal to send, so see you all later, stay cool, stay safe, and stay hook"n!!

Just popping in to say hello. I skimmed through the posts quickly so I'm sure I missed things.

Katie, you are going to keep us all busy, but it sounds like fun ideas.

Brenda, the afghans are beautiful.

I picked up my granddaughter Friday evening and have been staying busy with her. Yesterday we went to Cracker Barrel for her favorite breakfast of pancakes and bacon. Then we went sailing with my dad. When we got home we went in the pool for about 30 minutes until I heard thunder and knew the storm was heading our way. By the time we showered and had dinner we were both tired and just relaxed on the sofa until bed time. Today was church, she was excited to see everyone and then we did a little sewing project. After dinner we will go pick up my grandson from the other grandparents and the fun and busy will continue.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Good morning all!

Yesterday was busy for kiddles and me......went to two Joanns and two Half Price Books! Tomorrow kiddles turns 10! Yes 10! Making this old mama feel even older!

Last week of summer hours so won't be working the longer days after this week. So glad! This weekend kiddles and I will go down to visit my family so they can give her her birthday gifts. and visit.

Well gotta get ready! Have to be at work at 7!

kuddles

Hi ya lacey, good afternoon, well, almost, still a bit of the morning left, but not much, promises to be a long hot one too, we are back in the summer heat cycle. lol

Hi kuddles, tell Kiddles happy birthday from all of us to her, will you please, and wishes of a wonderful day for her!!

Good morning all!

Yesterday was busy for kiddles and me......went to two Joanns and two Half Price Books! Tomorrow kiddles turns 10! Yes 10! Making this old mama feel even older!

Last week of summer hours so won't be working the longer days after this week. So glad! This weekend kiddles and I will go down to visit my family so they can give her her birthday gifts. and visit.

Well gotta get ready! Have to be at work at 7!

kuddles

Oh my, three little ones, they will think this is a great adventure, so much to see, and watch at a "tire Shop' he he he, good luck, hope you all find the time for a nice little lunch out, and treat yourself and the kidlets!!

Good Morning. Heading to the tire shop for an alignment with three toddlers in toe....no crocheting time for me. Wish me luck..... :/

Good morning everyone :)

No other news much, Im thinking of just starting to decrease for a blanket on the shawl, as I discovered, I might not have enough of the same off while, to make it the size i want it, so maybe will decrease now, from here on, and make it into a baby blankee, lol, crochet is wonderful isn't it!!

So will work on doing that later on today, got some running errands to do, so Im off, and will see you later on, take care all, and have a grand monday!!!!!!

Hello!

a.creative.mrs, that is a beautiful afghan, what a great find.

Kuddles, wish kiddles a happy birthday for me.

It's "quiet time" after 45 minutes at the park and 1.5 hours in the pool, I think we were all ready for a little down time. The grandkids are stretched out on blankets and pillows in the living room watching Frozen. So I thought I would pop in to say hi.

Archived