Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

OH< found the bags, how precious!! I love butterflies, so I like that one best, but they are all adorable!!! Seems i skipped a whole page of posts, but am fairly caught up now, lol SOrry it took me so long to answer kuddles, I do love the bags,they are terrific!!! OH....im almost falling asleep, night all!!!!!!!! My @@'s are growing dim, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wondered why you didn't comment on them! You always do! LOL  Thanks, glad you liked them and woot!

ad news about MIL's health yesterday, we know that she is terminal but it seems things are progressing a bit quicker now :( But, we are all so very grateful for the time shes had, the diagnosis was 15 months ago and we thought she'd be lucky to see last Christmas - so we are very blessed. And now it means I am extra determined to use that yummy new yarn to get a lapghan done for her as soon a possible. 

:hug :hug

Ok, here she be, lol I can't wait till tomorrow!!!! Our new queen, and therefore new crown wearer for the month of AUg is..........

lo and behold, our New Queen OwlVamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she would like.......12 inch, WW, any colors! Congratz Your Highness, may your reign be prosperous, and your afghan be filled with squares! Speech, Speech!!!!!!

Pledging is now open,I pledge at least one!!!!!

Woot! I pledge two squares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the crown! Wear it well!

kuddles

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations owlvamp! :yay  I will pledge 2 squares for our new :queen

AngelRoseLite and kuddlekubs, those are beautiful squares.

Beccalovely, prayers for your mil and family.

I’m still without a car. :(  I picked it from the mechanic about noon yesterday, drove for 10 to 15 minutes and it started giving me problems again, so back the garage we went. My dad is planning to go over today and tell them to change the fuel pump, he thinks that is the problem. They’ve had trouble pin pointing the problem because the car only acts up when I drive it.

I'm still in the sewing room working on some outfits for my granddaughter, I will post pics when they are finished.

Have a great day everyone!

Wow!! I am Queen for the month oh how exciting ! I am thrilled to be queen. Thanks everyone that is so sweet of all of you.

beeca that will be fine I can put those squares in a different afghan. I am so excited that I can't wait. Just think of all the puffy's when I get home from the hospital I will definitely feel like the Queen.

Uh oh Carol, does Christine, ring a bell?????? he he he

Congratulations owlvamp! :yay  I will pledge 2 squares for our new :queen

AngelRoseLite and kuddlekubs, those are beautiful squares.

Beccalovely, prayers for your mil and family.

I’m still without a car. :(  I picked it from the mechanic about noon yesterday, drove for 10 to 15 minutes and it started giving me problems again, so back the garage we went. My dad is planning to go over today and tell them to change the fuel pump, he thinks that is the problem. They’ve had trouble pin pointing the problem because the car only acts up when I drive it.

I'm still in the sewing room working on some outfits for my granddaughter, I will post pics when they are finished.

Woohoo! Congratulations Owlvamp! Brilliant news, may I bow down to you our queenie  :yay

I have a couple of squares waiting to post to you already... but they are not 12"... is this ok? If not I will make some others or add to them.

Today I am determined, I didn't get out of bed yesterday, so this morning I am up, showered and dressed. 

I'm also a bit nervous as I'm about to wash a small blanket I made... will it stay together?!! Haha

Bad news about MIL's health yesterday, we know that she is terminal but it seems things are progressing a bit quicker now :( But, we are all so very grateful for the time shes had, the diagnosis was 15 months ago and we thought she'd be lucky to see last Christmas - so we are very blessed. And now it means I am extra determined to use that yummy new yarn to get a lapghan done for her as soon a possible. 

Oooh I think someone asked for a pic of this yummy yarn didn't they? Katy think it was you? Here it is:

attachicon.gifIMG_2914.jpg

It is a little bit more pastel-like in real life, I love it!

Right, wish me luck with the washing machine venture haha! 

Wishing you all a lovely Thursday x

So sorry to hear of mil, our thoughts will be with you and yours..Oh that yarn looks devine, so soft, and loving it's colorway!!!!!!!!! it's going to be gorgeous!

Wondered why you didn't comment on them! You always do! LOL  Thanks, glad you liked them and woot!

:hug :hug

Woot! I pledge two squares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the crown! Wear it well!

kuddles

ha ha, I KNOW, i kept seeing references to them, checked on the forums for bags and such twice, sheesh, duh me, huh!!!

Wow!! I am Queen for the month oh how exciting ! I am thrilled to be queen. Thanks everyone that is so sweet of all of you.
beeca that will be fine I can put those squares in a different afghan. I am so excited that I can't wait. Just think of all the puffy's when I get home from the hospital I will definitely feel like the Queen.

You will be recooperating quicker Ill bet, as with each puffy, a healing thought or prayer is contained!!

:yay  Congratulations Owlvamp!!! You so deserve it!!  :yay

She does, and thank you graceful past queen, you had a nice rule, and hopefully will have a total of squares received for us soon!! I hope they bring your aghan nearer completion!!!! Thank you for passing the crown, I sort of miss it, lol!!

I earlier pledged one to owlvamp, now Im pledging another, for a total of two, count um two, lol coming her way soon!!! I think I will mail next week, then maybe they will get there when you are home and need a lift, huh! hugs!!

And so then I will wait for yours on that day too Becca, if that is ok, one trip to the post office, beats two, for sure! So, yours and queenies out next week, ok ok, that's settled!!

soooooo back to the crochet I guess, errands are complete, supper is planned, and will be executed way later on, it's going to rain this aft...We'll have Spaghetti and meat ballies, yay.....

Im looking forward to that,oh and the rain too,  to cool things down a bit, it's very muggy here too, which I can very well live happily without however, it's been said, if you don't like the weather in Nebraska, wait a few minutes, it's bound to change!!!

Ran across this story, thought I would share it with you..

The Tablecloth

The brand-new pastor and his wife, newly assigned to their first ministry, to reopen a church in suburban Brooklyn, arrived in early October excited about their opportunities. When they saw their church, it was very run down and needed much work. They set a goal to have everything done in time to have their first service on Christmas Eve. They worked hard, repairing pews, plastering walls, painting, etc. and on Dec. 18 were ahead of schedule and just about finished. On Dec. 19 a terrible tempest--a driving rainstorm-- hit the area and lasted for two days.

On the 21st, the pastor went over to the church. His heart sank when he saw that the roof had leaked, causing a large area of plaster about 20 feet by 8 feet to fall off the front wall of the sanctuary just behind the pulpit, beginning about head high. The pastor cleaned up the mess on the floor, and not knowing what else to do but postpone the Christmas Eve service, headed home. On the way he noticed that a local business was having a flea market type sale for charity so he stopped in.

One of the items was a beautiful, handmade, ivory colored, crocheted tablecloth with exquisite work, fine colors and a Cross embroidered right in the center. It was just the right size to cover up the hole in the front wall. He bought it and headed back to the church.

By this time it had started to snow. An older woman running from the opposite direction was trying to catch the bus. She missed it. The pastor invited her to wait in the warm church for the next bus 45 minutes later.

She sat in a pew and paid no attention to the pastor while he got a ladder, hangers, etc., to put up the tablecloth as a wall tapestry. The pastor could hardly believe how beautiful it looked and it covered up the entire problem area.

Then he noticed the woman walking down the center aisle. Her face was like a sheet. "Pastor", she asked "where did you get that tablecloth?" The pastor explained. The woman asked him to check the lower right corner to see if the initials EBG were crocheted into it there. They were. These were the initials of the woman, and she had made this tablecloth 35 years before, in Austria.

The woman could hardly believe it as the pastor told how he had just gotten the tablecloth. The woman explained that before the war she and her husband were well-to-do people in Austria. When the Nazis came, she was forced to leave. Her husband was going to follow her the next week. She was captured, sent to prison and never saw her husband or her home again.

The pastor wanted to give her the tablecloth; but she made the pastor keep it for the church. The pastor insisted on driving her home, that was the least he could do. She lived on the other side of Staten Island and was only in Brooklyn for the day for a housecleaning job.

What a wonderful service they had on Christmas Eve. The church was almost full. The music and the spirit were great. At the end of the service, the pastor and his wife greeted everyone at the door and many said that they would return. One older man, whom the pastor recognized from the neighborhood, continued to sit in one of the pews and stare, and the pastor wondered why he wasn't leaving. The man asked him where he got the tablecloth on the front wall because it was identical to one that his wife had made years ago when they lived in Austria before the war and how could there be two tablecloths so much alike?

He told the pastor how the Nazis came, how he forced his wife to flee for her safety, and he was supposed to follow her, but he was arrested and put in a prison. he never saw his wife or his home again all the 35 years in between.

The pastor asked him if he would allow him to take him for a little ride. They drove to Staten Island and to the same house where the pastor had taken the woman three days earlier. He helped the man climb the three flights of stairs to the woman's apartment, knocked on the door and he saw the greatest Christmas reunion he could ever imagine.

The Universe, at work eh!

Hi all! Just checking in.  I finally finished the pattern I was testing.  It went much easier when I made it in one color and really paid attention to my stitches, oh boy, sometimes I don't know about me, lol.

Thanks Ann!! That Sofia embroidery is awesome! Stitched out so nice! And of course the mickey/minnie ones, I've made tons and they are simple yet great!

Wish ya lived closer!

kuddles

It would be awesome if we lived closer!

Thank you grannyannie  :hug xx

Awww, your welcome... :hug

We'll keep our fingers crossed that everything turns out well.  Sometimes we expect the worst when things are much simpler.  Good luck :)

And here are Becca's lovely squares, cute little bows, and beautiful postcard.  Thanks!   :hug

Beautiful squares!

Here are MY Becca squares! I told her teal and autumn colors like brown and she took me at my word! Beautiful squares! A package of buttons and bows (like the song?) and a cute strawberry fairy postcard that Kiddles has already claimed to tape up on her wall!

Thank you again Becca! You made my day!

kuddles

Love your squares too!!!

love the squares becca!! 

I was a good girl today, I walked through the yarn section at Joanns and only petted a few skeins even though bounce was 50% off....a double strand pink/white would be so very pretty wouldn't it?  :devil

Good girl, much better than I'd probably be, lol.  Yes, the pink/white sounds very pretty! :D

Is it close enough to midnight yet on the first???? Aug. FIrst......cause if you all say it is......I have a new queenie to announce........

Course if you would rather wait till tomorrow..........

attachicon.gifcrown14.jpg

Ok, here she be, lol I can't wait till tomorrow!!!! Our new queen, and therefore new crown wearer for the month of AUg is..........

lo and behold, our New Queen OwlVamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she would like.......12 inch, WW, any colors! Congratz Your Highness, may your reign be prosperous, and your afghan be filled with squares! Speech, Speech!!!!!!

Pledging is now open,I pledge at least one!!!!!

Congrats OwlVamp!!!! I pledge 2 squares.

Today I am determined, I didn't get out of bed yesterday, so this morning I am up, showered and dressed. 

I'm also a bit nervous as I'm about to wash a small blanket I made... will it stay together?!! Haha

Bad news about MIL's health yesterday, we know that she is terminal but it seems things are progressing a bit quicker now :( But, we are all so very grateful for the time shes had, the diagnosis was 15 months ago and we thought she'd be lucky to see last Christmas - so we are very blessed. And now it means I am extra determined to use that yummy new yarn to get a lapghan done for her as soon a possible. 

Oooh I think someone asked for a pic of this yummy yarn didn't they? Katy think it was you? Here it is:

attachicon.gifIMG_2914.jpg

It is a little bit more pastel-like in real life, I love it!

Right, wish me luck with the washing machine venture haha! 

Wishing you all a lovely Thursday x

So sorry about MIL.  Sending hugs and prayers to you and your family.  The yarn looks scrumptious!  It will make a wonderful blanket!

OMGosh, that is ridiculous.  Sometimes I think they take advantage of us because we're woman.  You need your car back, now! I'll tell 'em, lol. 

You deserve it. :hug

soooooo back to the crochet I guess, errands are complete, supper is planned, and will be executed way later on, it's going to rain this aft...We'll have Spaghetti and meat ballies, yay.....

Im looking forward to that,oh and the rain too,  to cool things down a bit, it's very muggy here too, which I can very well live happily without however, it's been said, if you don't like the weather in Nebraska, wait a few minutes, it's bound to change!!!

The Tablecloth

The brand-new pastor and his wife, newly assigned to their first ministry, to reopen a church in suburban Brooklyn, arrived in early October excited about their opportunities. When they saw their church, it was very run down and needed much work. They set a goal to have everything done in time to have their first service on Christmas Eve. They worked hard, repairing pews, plastering walls, painting, etc. and on Dec. 18 were ahead of schedule and just about finished. On Dec. 19 a terrible tempest--a driving rainstorm-- hit the area and lasted for two days.

On the 21st, the pastor went over to the church. His heart sank when he saw that the roof had leaked, causing a large area of plaster about 20 feet by 8 feet to fall off the front wall of the sanctuary just behind the pulpit, beginning about head high. The pastor cleaned up the mess on the floor, and not knowing what else to do but postpone the Christmas Eve service, headed home. On the way he noticed that a local business was having a flea market type sale for charity so he stopped in.

One of the items was a beautiful, handmade, ivory colored, crocheted tablecloth with exquisite work, fine colors and a Cross embroidered right in the center. It was just the right size to cover up the hole in the front wall. He bought it and headed back to the church.

By this time it had started to snow. An older woman running from the opposite direction was trying to catch the bus. She missed it. The pastor invited her to wait in the warm church for the next bus 45 minutes later.

She sat in a pew and paid no attention to the pastor while he got a ladder, hangers, etc., to put up the tablecloth as a wall tapestry. The pastor could hardly believe how beautiful it looked and it covered up the entire problem area.

Then he noticed the woman walking down the center aisle. Her face was like a sheet. "Pastor", she asked "where did you get that tablecloth?" The pastor explained. The woman asked him to check the lower right corner to see if the initials EBG were crocheted into it there. They were. These were the initials of the woman, and she had made this tablecloth 35 years before, in Austria.

The woman could hardly believe it as the pastor told how he had just gotten the tablecloth. The woman explained that before the war she and her husband were well-to-do people in Austria. When the Nazis came, she was forced to leave. Her husband was going to follow her the next week. She was captured, sent to prison and never saw her husband or her home again.

The pastor wanted to give her the tablecloth; but she made the pastor keep it for the church. The pastor insisted on driving her home, that was the least he could do. She lived on the other side of Staten Island and was only in Brooklyn for the day for a housecleaning job.

What a wonderful service they had on Christmas Eve. The church was almost full. The music and the spirit were great. At the end of the service, the pastor and his wife greeted everyone at the door and many said that they would return. One older man, whom the pastor recognized from the neighborhood, continued to sit in one of the pews and stare, and the pastor wondered why he wasn't leaving. The man asked him where he got the tablecloth on the front wall because it was identical to one that his wife had made years ago when they lived in Austria before the war and how could there be two tablecloths so much alike?

He told the pastor how the Nazis came, how he forced his wife to flee for her safety, and he was supposed to follow her, but he was arrested and put in a prison. he never saw his wife or his home again all the 35 years in between.

The pastor asked him if he would allow him to take him for a little ride. They drove to Staten Island and to the same house where the pastor had taken the woman three days earlier. He helped the man climb the three flights of stairs to the woman's apartment, knocked on the door and he saw the greatest Christmas reunion he could ever imagine.

I love this story.  It brings me to tears every time I read it.  Thanks for posting it.

The Tablecloth

What a wonderful story.  I hope you don't mind me borrowing it :hug

WooHoo!!!!  I rec'd the most wonderful puffy in the mail today!  Loooonnnngggg distance!  Thank you so much Becca!  The squares are beautiful and the buttons and bows are adorable.  I love the fairy card too!  You've made my day! :hug

post-16860-0-62514600-1375400188_thumb.jpg

Congratulations to our new queen.  May you be showered with many squares during your reign. :clap

Becca, more lovely squares and an adorable card. :cheer

And one of our own, pineknott, just became the newest recipient of one of Tampa Doll's totes. :yay

WooHoo!!!!  I rec'd the most wonderful puffy in the mail today!  Loooonnnngggg distance!  Thank you so much Becca!  The squares are beautiful and the buttons and bows are adorable.  I love the fairy card too!  You've made my day! :hug

GREAT squares!

Congratulations to our new queen.  May you be showered with many squares during your reign. :clap

Becca, more lovely squares and an adorable card. :cheer

And one of our own, pineknott, just became the newest recipient of one of Tampa Doll's totes. :yay

Yippe for one of our Squares!

kuddles

More lovely squares!  You have made many of us happy campers, Becca :hug

Congratulations, pineknott!  That is a lovely bag.  I hope you get someone to post pictures of the bag and goodies.  I'm very happy for you :)

ok, third time I have tried to post answers to you all, but it won't let me post, so this will be short and sweet.lol

Lovely eye candy!! Feel better to all that need it, cshort hope you get your car back soon!! I hate being housebound for too long!!!

Angel, the story isn't mine, found it on the internet. You may use it.

Wonder how Snowflake is doing??

and Viking, how are you......

Owlvamp, receive any puffy's yet??

kuddles, always look forward to your cheery "Good morningS" Is lazy lucky doing well at nights still and has little miss Kiddles recovered from her sleep deprivation yet...  lol

anyone I missed, hello, and how are ya!!    lol

Worked on my baby ghan today, I think Im done, I will check in the am, to make sure the border is wide enough, but I think it turned out really nice, I will snap a pic tomorrow.. It is slated for donation with a couple others I have made, I might make a hat to go with them before donating in the fall....

anyone know any really cute, easy, quick, heel less baby socks, I could make a few pair of them too, and include them with the ghans?? I can't do heels apparently, as I have tried, and they go wonky way too quickly, lol need a simple tube type sock-or socklette if any of you know any....

Oh my, I always wait too long till Im tired, to get on the computer, lol, Raining here finally, sounds like a good normal rain, nothing severe, or anything and the occastional thunder, and lightning, but we need the steady slow rain, all night, if possible, ha ha.

ok, taking to the bed soon, to watch tv for a bit, and then off to sleep, hopefully!!    night all, see y a tomorrow!

Katy received no puffy's yet.

I've been out of town all day helping the grand boys get there room all sense she moved again and they are expected to unpack and clean it all their self. So one of my daughters and I went and helped them and its all done. It was a job let me tell you. But it is done and then did some more loading the truck ate supper and drove an hour and half home.

Glad to be home. Thanks to everyone I will enjoy my Queen position for the month. Unfornately the Queen had to work today. :)

Hello Squares!!

I worked at Michael's today.  For most of the morning I stocked a whole aisle with CHRISTMAS ribbon.... :santa

The rest of the morning we stocked Halloween items..... :jack

Just thought you should know.............

Good morning Squares! 

Rang up to find out about my rather depleted pay check... turns out they are going to stop paying me altogether in 3 days time, and I will get stat sick pay instead, which will be over £1000 a month less than my normal pay. They sent a letter to warn me about this over a month ago - but they decided to just send it to the hospital ward... how does that make sense when I'm signed off sick?? So not a very nice surprise for me. Not looking forward to breaking the news to my OH either. Ergh. 

Anyway, so pleased to see another puffy arrived :) So glad you like them grannyannie  :clap

And Honex great to hear you got the part time job then? How lovely to work somewhere surrounded by pretties! 

Oh meant to say - the blanket I washed survived the washing machine yay! Just awaiting the birth now (due date was yesterday) then I can send it off with a couple of other little baby bits :)

Katy - I can't make socks to save my life, I wish I could! But I did make an easy bootie pattern yesterday, I'll attach a pic, maybe they would do to go with your baby blankets? The pattern is free on Ravelry by Hayley M, and there are a couple of variations. 

post-67796-0-86341900-1375438296_thumb.jpg

Thinking of VikingRunnerGirl and family  :hug

Have a great Friday squares xx

The Tablecloth

This former Brooklynite enjoyed the Tablecloth story so much,thanks

Awe those are really cute becca. I just might have to try those . Daughter is pregnant and soon as we know what it is those would be cute for a little girl. I'm with you becca and the socks. I can't make them for my life either. I have tried and tore it out and tried again and put a side. So I understand.

Skoggy thank you .

Just a question sense I've never been queen of anything other than my home.:) when someone pledges am I suppose to send address or Katy do you do that? Not sure what I'm suppose to do.

Good morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Happy Friday! So glad this is the last work day of the week and I get to be all alone today in my work trailer! My boss is gone and the other dept in there is out too! Woot!!! Nice and quiet! Taking crochet to work on during lunch.....

Katie.......thanks for asking and yes the dog is still doing good at nite now that he is in my bedroom....and Kiddles is sleeping 'in' meaning she doesn't get out of bed till after I get up. She acts tired every single day.......but she IS 9 you know and has such a rough life! LOL

Becca - hugs to you honey! It's always something, isn't it!!! Hang in there!

Everyone have a GREAT day!

kuddles

:c9 I want to thank everyone for the wonderful squares....My total is 12 for my reign!!  

becca...your bootie is cute but I can't do the up one side and down the other, I think I crochet too tight or something. 

I made a decision of my brothers photos....I'm going to pick out the ones I like and put them together in a few books. I have all the negatives. Many know my brother died 3 years ago in July, he was ill his entire life, he was a wildlife photographer and taught me many things. He was much older than I and stood in as a father in many ways since mine was never around. I guess thats why I"m such a tomboy now! dh always says "Sue can do anything" LOL! Anyway I've been hemming and hawing over what to do with the 15+ boxes of photos, it's tough since I remember a lot of them since I was there much of the time since he was so sick. It's going to be a long journey for me but I've got to pull those big girl panties up and deal with it, even if I have to pull them up over my head! 

Archived