Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh thanks for the link grannyannie! I'm rubbish at reading patterns so will probably just make it up as I go along as usual! I'll just have to buy tonnes of the stuff so that I have plenty, I think a lapghan would be sooooo yummy in it, and if I have some left over I'm sure I'll find some use for it! 

I finally finished a project yay! Its the green and purple scarf you commented on from my Ravelry page Grannyannie, I'm so happy with it! Will get some photos of the finished item tomorrow when it's light again. My first ever scarf, woo hoo! It'll make a good christmas present for someone. 

Right that's it, I'm buying that yarn, I just HAVE to HAVE IT!! 

Becca, that's exactly why I made my "only buy yarn I have a project in mind for" rule, the not knowing how much to buy! I'd actually forgotten that was the reasoning behind that until reading your post. :lol

That does sound like a messy surgery, owl. I hope you have a good medical team that will get you through it no problem!

Man, there was somebody else I particularly wanted to respond to, but my phone won't let me multiquote and now after getting all caught up I can't remember what it was about. :( I have to make this post from my phone because I almost forgot, I got a puffy this week, too!! And here is a picture! Thanks so much, Katie!! :D

post-62070-0-84506200-1374978521_thumb.jpg

Ok, I have a problem!  I need to go work for Hobby Lobby!  Not because of all the "yarn" I can get, but I left there earlier today and grabbed an application to work part time, and the sign said that if you work full time, you make AT LEAST $14 an hour!  That is what I make at the lawfirm!!!!  Something is wrong with this picture here!  I need a raise!!!!

Seriously, I am going to put in an app to Hobby Lobby to work part time, but if they hire me for full time, bye bye law firm!!!  LOL

If I worked at any craft store I think my house would have more than the store. Not a good idea for me. But it would be so wonderful to work where you would love to. If I had I would pick a craft store and would love every minute of it.

Beautiful blocks!

Good night all!

Going to try to go get some sleep.

Thanks everyone for thinking of me and keeping me in your prayers.

It means a lot.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Night

my surgery has to do with my stomach hernia. They may have to make it where they give me a smaller one depends on how bad it is when they get in there. They said if its really bad then I would benefit from moving the stomach and redoing the small intestine to the smaller pouch they make from my stomach. So in other words it all boils down I will have a small pouch. Right now it bothers me and also a lot lately have had heart burn to where I feel like I'm having a heart attack. That's why I ended up at the hospital and found out about the hernia when they put a scope down my throat. Just been in a lot of pain and just want it to all go away. Migraines come and go and today hasn't been the best of days. I am plugging along and will get through all this. Just one day at a time. Right now on a strict diet to shrink the liver so surgery will go awesome.

I don't usually tell anyone but its really not that personal and you all are my dear friends. My own family hasn't said a dang thing. Oh well life is life I will move on. They make mad and I don't want to think about them right now.

Good luck with your surgery and let me know how it goes because I have a hernia too.  For now I am putting it off.  It's about a 5 inch one and it will put me down for at least six weeks and I cannot afford to do that.

I would of bought all the yarn too. The eyelash yarn is one of my favorites. Great find!!

I would have done the same

I would have done the same

I have enough of the specialty yarns or I would have, lol

Good night all!

Going to try to go get some sleep.

Thanks everyone for thinking of me and keeping me in your prayers.

It means a lot.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Night

You mean a lot, too, to us!

Becca, that's exactly why I made my "only buy yarn I have a project in mind for" rule, the not knowing how much to buy! I'd actually forgotten that was the reasoning behind that until reading your post. :lol

That does sound like a messy surgery, owl. I hope you have a good medical team that will get you through it no problem!

Man, there was somebody else I particularly wanted to respond to, but my phone won't let me multiquote and now after getting all caught up I can't remember what it was about. :( I have to make this post from my phone because I almost forgot, I got a puffy this week, too!! And here is a picture! Thanks so much, Katie!! :D

certainly welcome viking, I don't know for sure, but I think i used ILTY for those.

Oooh thanks for the link grannyannie! I'm rubbish at reading patterns so will probably just make it up as I go along as usual! I'll just have to buy tonnes of the stuff so that I have plenty, I think a lapghan would be sooooo yummy in it, and if I have some left over I'm sure I'll find some use for it! 

I finally finished a project yay! Its the green and purple scarf you commented on from my Ravelry page Grannyannie, I'm so happy with it! Will get some photos of the finished item tomorrow when it's light again. My first ever scarf, woo hoo! It'll make a good christmas present for someone. 

love to see a pic when you get around to it, and buy the yarn, you deserve it!

Becca, this is the link I was thinking of earlier.  If you have a pattern it can help you figure out how much yarn you need.  I've never used it, mind you, just think it's neat, lol.

Thanks Ann!

Congrats on your find Katie!  I actually "found" my crochet hooks, well so of them!  I am working on a throw or maybe a little bigger, it will be for my mom for Christmas.  She is in Indiana and is always cold, so I have about 6 skeins of chenille in a denim blue color.  It is actually going to be just one huge granny square when I am done.  It's stormy today, so it is a good day to stay inside and just crochet.  I did get two pair of Nike tennis shoes and a pair of New Balance for $15.  They are slightly used, but they have lots of tread on the bottom and will be good for walking.  I haven't done it in two weeks, so come Monday morning I need to be right back out! 

I feel your pain, though Katie, on not having a phone.  Mine is a cell phone, though.  I have been without one for over a week, and that is rough.  If I am at a place that has wireless internet, I can use it as my job's phone number is internet based.  So I call my mom and dad from that number until I can get a cell back.  I had Verizon, and it was just way to expensive - the data plan kills ya!!!  If it wasn't for the data plan, I would have been ok.  So, I am going to be getting another one, but not until probably two weeks or so!

Hope everyone has a great weekend, happy hooking!

yeah I hear that, i finally have my phone back.Bout 645 this evening, I hear the weirdest sound, the phone ringing!!!!!

I hadn't checked it for about an hour, but it was working, and it was a neighbor thank goodness, or I wouldn't have probably checked again, as no one came to the door, nor let me know they were working on it...Im sure it was because I was a bit impatient with the girl I spoke with, and threatened to change carriers. Shrugs shoulders, oh well, glad to have it back anyway!

so, i feel back in the loop now. Sometimes it doesn't ring all day, sometimes it rings too much, lol

Getting sleepy, gotta get some sleep shortly,you all take care, talk to you in the am!

If I worked at any craft store I think my house would have more than the store. Not a good idea for me. But it would be so wonderful to work where you would love to. If I had I would pick a craft store and would love every minute of it.

Beautiful blocks!

Ok, I have a problem!  I need to go work for Hobby Lobby!  Not because of all the "yarn" I can get, but I left there earlier today and grabbed an application to work part time, and the sign said that if you work full time, you make AT LEAST $14 an hour!  That is what I make at the lawfirm!!!!  Something is wrong with this picture here!  I need a raise!!!!

Seriously, I am going to put in an app to Hobby Lobby to work part time, but if they hire me for full time, bye bye law firm!!!  LOL

I work at Michaels and it takes ALL my willpower not to buy yarn with my paycheck.  LOL

Good willpower ! I would spend some of my paycheck there. I'm sure sales come on or Clarence's and I wouldn't or couldn't resist not to. LOL

I've considered Joanns or Hobby Lobby but would not get home with any money....sigh.

Hope you get at least part time! would be cool!

kuddles

hi all, good to be back in the communicating world, lol..BEEN THINKING,,,,,,,UH OH....

first things first,

Got a concern with so many dropping out of the thread, so will post here that if any of you know anyone that would like to participate, please let them know, I am finding it hard to find people that are still active and online weekly, cept for us, the regs, lol Usually it happens during the summer, and picks up in the fall, as I recall, so not too concerned, but I for one would love some more new blood to square for!!

Second topic, Im going to try to use up some of the smaller balls of baby and or sports yarn I have accquired,for donation afghans in the fall,  so was wondering, would anyone out there mind some squares made up of two strands of the thinner yarns mentioned above?? I have made a few, and they look so cute, I will post later, but if you are interested, let me know, and I will put some baby/sports yarn squares together! Otherwise, I still will, lol but use them for a donation baby afghan for the fall.........

Do you all have sports and baby yarns you want to use up, maybe I should go back in the collecting squares postings, and collect just those, that would be fun, let me know what you think, a baby afghan out of squares of two strands baby or sports yarn is about the same weight as ww four ply Red Heart, in my opinion, so just asking........ If there are a number of you that would make some, I might do that, or if you don't mind a few, I might be able to olbilige... Cleaning out a cabinet, full of odds and ends, and this is my first project out of it, lol Scratch that, second project out of it, as I started a baby ghan, not in grannys, with the two strands too, for the larger balls. I'ts coming out kinda nice, and seems no heavier than red heart ww, soooo thanks for listening.. Do let me know dear friends, lol

Then there is the Caron Simply Soft project yet to be determined......sigh.... I don't have lots of that, but there are some skeins and some balls..........soooooooooo ideas anyone??

Evening all! 

Katy, I for one honestly don't mind what my squares are made from. Making some for charity is lovely too. I've actually spent all day today looking around UK charity crochet projects on the net, and alongside my order of the yummy yarn I just had to have I also ordered some lovely 4ply baby yarn to make some blankets for charity. 

I also had a super chunky yarn that I can't even remember where it came from or what it is, so I've been playing around with that all day and have come up with a pet bed that I can donate to the local animal shelter. I'm working a flat round at the moment and will keep going until its around 18" in diameter, then I think if I work the following round in the front loops only that should make it sit up to create low sides... hopefully this will work, otherwise they may just end up with a sort of round rug for the pets to sleep on! 

Urgh really not looking forward to tomorrow, have some tasks to do that are making me anxious just thinking about them, even with the medication I'm on. But I must get them done, I've avoided them long enough. Think I'll try to get them done first thing then they'll be out of the way and I can go back to crocheting to calm down again. 

OH very selfishly (!) wants an early night, so looks like I'll be relegated to the sofa for my evening crochet session! 

I think what you are talking about, Katy, would near enough be DK yarn to Becca and I. In which case, I can always use squares in DK. :)

Its such a shame that numbers are going up and down. As you say, the summer is slightly to blame and I hope that soon people will come back.

Hi All!  I'm having one of my typical days, started out with a migraine and it appears a lupus flare starting up all on top of a fungal infection which I found out about yesterday.  My nurse has been having me treat it as a yeast infection, well it's gotten worse, so called the dr.  Had to see his nurse practitioner and she took one look and said that's fungal and the cortisone while make it spread.  What have I been putting on it?  Yup! :lol Hopefully this new med will clear it up quickly.  Sorry for all the medical details. That's my life, lol.

Oh, you should see!  There are a whole bunch of swallows swooping in and out of my yard!  They like to sit on the telephone wires out front and often play out back in the fields, but I don't know what is drawing them to my side yard this afternoon.  Theiy're so much fun to watch!

Well enough jibberjabbering, back to my hooks!  Have a great day, what's left of it. :manyheart  

You're very welcome.  Congrats on your finish!  That scarf is beautiful.  Someone is going to be very happy at Christmas!  Good for you for buying that yarn, you deserve it!!!

pretty squares!!!

Wow, that's a great starting wage.  Considering I'd leave at least half my check at the store though it's probably not such a great deal, lol.  Good luck to you though and I hope you have good willpower!

yeah I hear that, i finally have my phone back.Bout 645 this evening, I hear the weirdest sound, the phone ringing!!!!!

I hadn't checked it for about an hour, but it was working, and it was a neighbor thank goodness, or I wouldn't have probably checked again, as no one came to the door, nor let me know they were working on it...Im sure it was because I was a bit impatient with the girl I spoke with, and threatened to change carriers. Shrugs shoulders, oh well, glad to have it back anyway!

so, i feel back in the loop now. Sometimes it doesn't ring all day, sometimes it rings too much, lol

Getting sleepy, gotta get some sleep shortly,you all take care, talk to you in the am!

Hurray, you've got your phone back!

I work at Michaels and it takes ALL my willpower not to buy yarn with my paycheck.  LOL

Yep, don't think I could do it...

hi all, good to be back in the communicating world, lol..BEEN THINKING,,,,,,,UH OH....

first things first,

Got a concern with so many dropping out of the thread, so will post here that if any of you know anyone that would like to participate, please let them know, I am finding it hard to find people that are still active and online weekly, cept for us, the regs, lol Usually it happens during the summer, and picks up in the fall, as I recall, so not too concerned, but I for one would love some more new blood to square for!!

Second topic, Im going to try to use up some of the smaller balls of baby and or sports yarn I have accquired,for donation afghans in the fall,  so was wondering, would anyone out there mind some squares made up of two strands of the thinner yarns mentioned above?? I have made a few, and they look so cute, I will post later, but if you are interested, let me know, and I will put some baby/sports yarn squares together! Otherwise, I still will, lol but use them for a donation baby afghan for the fall.........

Do you all have sports and baby yarns you want to use up, maybe I should go back in the collecting squares postings, and collect just those, that would be fun, let me know what you think, a baby afghan out of squares of two strands baby or sports yarn is about the same weight as ww four ply Red Heart, in my opinion, so just asking........ If there are a number of you that would make some, I might do that, or if you don't mind a few, I might be able to olbilige... Cleaning out a cabinet, full of odds and ends, and this is my first project out of it, lol Scratch that, second project out of it, as I started a baby ghan, not in grannys, with the two strands too, for the larger balls. I'ts coming out kinda nice, and seems no heavier than red heart ww, soooo thanks for listening.. Do let me know dear friends, lol

Then there is the Caron Simply Soft project yet to be determined......sigh.... I don't have lots of that, but there are some skeins and some balls..........soooooooooo ideas anyone??

I wouldn't be too concerned about members.  As you mentioned, membership usually picks up after summer. Let the kids get back to school and things will settle down more into a routine.  As for the sports/baby yarn, I wouldn't mind 2 strands together.  it's all good!  I'm making a lot of baby ghans too and have given the thought of one out of squares, so even single stranded is ok if you want.  The CSS, not sure what you are looking for here?  I use it all the time for scarves.  I love it and wouldn't mind a square from it, but I don't think I would mix it with a blanket put together with mostly RHSS or the like. It has a different texture/sheen to it.  Does that make sense?

Evening all! 

Urgh really not looking forward to tomorrow, have some tasks to do that are making me anxious just thinking about them, even with the medication I'm on. But I must get them done, I've avoided them long enough. Think I'll try to get them done first thing then they'll be out of the way and I can go back to crocheting to calm down again. 

OH very selfishly (!) wants an early night, so looks like I'll be relegated to the sofa for my evening crochet session! 

Good luck to you tomorrow. :hug

Howdy! Nice day here in Chicagoland.....still 'cool' of around 70, cloudy with some sun peeking out now and then,  and a breeze. I love having windows open and no TV on! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Made Kiddles to some worksheets, school starts in 3 weeks! Yikes! We've not done any summer work! But we will now!

Took Lazy Lucky on a walk.....I swear he is the laziest dog I've ever seen! He'd stay in the condo and never go for a walk if he could! So LL for short! Suits him!

Granny Annie....hope you are feeling better.......

Becca - Hi! Hope your day tomorrow goes well....Hugs!

Katie, I'd always take double stranded sport weight yarn! In two colors, would sure be unique!

Gotta run!

kuddles

Thanks everyone, your support means a lot  :ghug

Katy - I have changed my signature so that when people read posts in other threads they might stop by to say hello if they'd like to join in :) 

I am duly relegated to the sofa! Have just finished my little cat bed and have emailed the local charity to see if I can donate it to them. Think I'll keep an eye out for more super chunky yarn that would be suitable and make some more if they like it, as it was very quick and easy to make up. 

After my horrible bit of the day is out the way tomorrow I'm going to weave in some ends and post off some more squares :) Hopefully some that I sent last week will begin to arrive soon  :manyheart

Well, not saying I wouldn't buy some yarn or something working there, but I just wouldn't have the stress I do with the lawfirm.  I am currently looking for other work elsewhere for full time as well.  I just couldn't believe what I saw was all.  I worked for Hobby Lobby when I was married and made I think $5 and hour.  I know it was a long time ago, but I thought they started at minimum wage!

Katie, I think that is a good idea, doubling up the yarn.  I have lots of sport weight and baby weight yarn and never thought about that!  I need to try it and see how it comes out as well.  As for me, if you had turquoise white or black and did that, I wouldn't mind either!

Thanks everyone, your support means a lot  :ghug

Katy - I have changed my signature so that when people read posts in other threads they might stop by to say hello if they'd like to join in :)

I am duly relegated to the sofa! Have just finished my little cat bed and have emailed the local charity to see if I can donate it to them. Think I'll keep an eye out for more super chunky yarn that would be suitable and make some more if they like it, as it was very quick and easy to make up. 

After my horrible bit of the day is out the way tomorrow I'm going to weave in some ends and post off some more squares :) Hopefully some that I sent last week will begin to arrive soon  :manyheart

Good idea about the signature!

Hugs in advance for tomorrow!

kuddles

wow, everyone is so nice and chatty today!! Lazy Lucky huh, well, he is more or less a house dog, lol and he knows it!! Dogs have no conception of size, so maybe he doesn't know it, lol

Glad you are done with your un nice chores becca, see you made it, you did it, it's over yay!! what a good idea about the signature idea, will change mine up a bit too!

Grannyannie, thank you for the ideas, I think i will try a scarf out of it, I think one skein will make a scarf, or cowls maybe, it's so soft, and if you don't have to change colors, I love it working with it, it's just that the ends have to be soooooooo super secured, or they come out, least they do for me, lol so I don't use it when Im going to change colors often, and wouldn't mix it either, with red heart, as they do have a different body, feel and look, so you're right right right!

Also, yep glad to have the phone back now too. Neighbor brought over some Redkin Hair products for me, he works in their warehouse, maybe, or something, and gets all kinds of shampoos and conditioners, and mousse, free so I will try redkin next, Im on Kenra now, BIG bottle, might be a while, lol

Ummm, what else did i think to reply to, Granny ann feel better soon my friend, Skoggy, so is that what dk is?? I never knew what weight it was, do you mean just one strand is equal to dk, so doubling it would be just like you would use with dk?? Fascinating!

Snowflake, sounds like a plan, go for the job, if you have worked there before, you are sure to get hired, one would think, maybe not that store, but even another, y ou have experience and they like that.

Becca you cat rug/bed sounds adorable, it warms my heart you are doing that for the shelters, I do as well, when possible, in fact,the gal that takes them from me, always ooohs and ahhhs over them lol they are simple mats, is all, but well appreciated! I love animals too!

well much to think about, regarding this box of baby/sports yarns, lol. I will take some pics tonight, and post them later, or in the am, they are cute, some of them though, different yarns, are a touch heavier than others, but I think they will still work for a nice warm blankee for donation, course most of the baby yarn of course, is pastels, and the sports is all colors, but not a lot of any particular one, so we will see what we can do, maybe a pet mat two stranded would be a good idea too, haven't done one for a while! I will try hats or scarves for the caron simply soft, as well, or cowls, like granny said, that's a good idea. So soft! Used to hate to work much with it, but have accquired some over the months, sooooo gotta use it, mustn't waste good yarn, lol

thanks all for the ideas, suggestions, comments, advice, and encouragement!!!!!! Gotta love this thread!!!!!!!!!!

till tomorrow then, take care!

Archived