Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

I concert was so much fun last night, highly disappointed in Uncle Kracker....he only played like 4 songs!

Catching up on laundry, crochet (of course) and not a bunch of anything else planned for today. I need to search for some more baby dress patterns, the ones I had done are HUGE! Shifilo patterns are awesome! I need to go search for some embellishments next week to finish them off. Anyone know of a simple and cute bootie pattern??

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mary-jane-skimmers

I've done this one twice and it's great! Instead of attaching a flower like they have in the main picture, I added a button for decoration :)

Has anyone done a crocheted sweater for a toddler? A co-worker of mine has an adorable 3 year old, and she would like me to make her a sweater. I've never done clothing before!

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone!  Sorry I've been missing.  I didn't realize how long it had been until I saw how many posts there were to catch up on!  Sorry, no way I can do it, lol.   I've been crocheting a little, resting a lot, and enjoying the (finally) cooler weather.

Katie, your friendship ghan is beautiful!!!

Becca,thanks for the ginger advice.  I've tried it, but it makes me sick.  Go figure, lol. Oh! Your kittie is so cute.  Looking forward to pics of kittens when she gives birth.  Sure wish we were closer, we would take one for sure!

Skoggy, hope your little one feels better soon.

owlvamp, keeping you in my prayers regarding your upcoming surgery.

Estee, so glad you are feeling better!

Kuddles, I didn't think Lucky could get any cuter, but it's amazing what a good grooming can do.  Any new pics? Pretty Please, lol.  As for the 9yr old, good luck, lol.  She is 9 you know! :devil

AngelRoseLite, beautiful squares!

Hope I covered everybody.  Hugs and Happiness to all my crochet square friends.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

wow, i was going to answer each and every post, but found that i tagged NINE, and that would take up too much room, so a quick summary...Glad Estee is better, hi mandy,and Becca and  Smith, let us know how your collecting is going, ANgel, you are certainly welcome, I loved doing brights and 3 inchers.Kuddles, always a nut! Granny ann, hope all is well, and Owlvamp, I do that too, clean when I am nervous or jittery about something! It helps..Snowflake and Kuddles, Im sort of in a crochet slump too, so don't feel alone, I think cause its been so hot, or something, I don't know, I only know it will come back as it always does, so hang in there ..

I know I missed some of you all so sorry,

honestly, this phone thing is really getting me down, I feel out of touch with the world, thank goodness for you people,a nd this thread and internet, lol

Now it is tomorrow they are coming, they forgot about me on Thursday, rescheduledl till tomorrow, from 230 to 630 sometime, I don't know, I had to call them again, yesterday, and find out why no one had come out yet, i had to use, Gasp,,,,,,,a pay phone, I don't have a cell, used to, can live without it, lol      soooo do you know how hard it was to even find a pay phone, seems like they don't exist anymore for the public.......But I did find one, and tomorrow is the day, thank goodness...

that is the story,snake poop, i never heard of that either, do you think he was making it up??? Said he had to replace my circuit thingie in the junction box, a couple of yards over, and if he did to that, less than a month ago, why is it still not working again now, did another snake get in there, and do do all over it again!! , one might wonder!

thanks for letting me unload, I already did the dishes!! lol peace be to all, and to all, a crocheting good night!!!!!!

Today is just sunny and hot and not a pleasant day for me.  I need to move to Alaska!  lol

Alaska is having temperatures of 97 degrees

No the pre-opp went well. So that wasn't the problem just trying to get everything in gear and just frustrated but I'm better today after doing some dishes?LOL I am all ready for surgery. I know I will be better after it is all over ..

The blocks are beautiful and love the little shoes that were crocheted. Will have to try that when I see what daughter has. She is about 8 weeks now.

Before I forget this, I posted a pic of my finished ghan, on the show and tell thread, here is that post, It turned out so pretty, I absolutely adore it, and thank you all that contributed time, talent, and love to help this come together for me!!!!!!!!

Awesome, awesome afghan!!!   So pretty.  What method did you use to join?  

I probably have more than enough squares, but have not joined any together.  I am terrified....LOL  It is so overwhelming of a project that it scares me.

Good morning all!

Didn't sleep well last night as you see I am up posting to you all. Going to try to lay down for a least a couple more hours.

I don't know how anyone is up with the chickens.

Hi, ladies!  I'm glad to read that you're feeling much better, Estee :)

You're a crackup, Kuddles!  My crafting group has been on a roll lately with unintended double entendres :lol  I think we need to go to confession!   :lol

I got a puffy!  I got a puffy!  Katie sent me eight 3-inch squares and two 6-inch squares.  Thank you, Katie! :hug  Here is a picture.  Sorry that it's blurry.

LOL Confession wouldn't stop me I'm sorry to say!

Great squares! Way to go Katie!

kuddles

Morning squares! 

Wow lovely to see loads of you! Hi everyone!! 

So glad it wasn't the appt owlvamp. Really hope you've managed to get some more sleep, as I'm guessing your post wasn't at 11am like it was here :) 

Katie - haven't received any just yet, but none of mine that I sent will have arrived yet either, silly airmail! Can't wait til everyone receives them! 

I have spent hours last night and this morning drooling over a couple of Sirdar yarns online. I just can't stop looking at them. But I'm frustrated because I can't decide what I would make with them, and I'm trying to convince myself that I shouldn't just buy them without a project in mind... mostly because they only come in 50g skeins and I won't know how many to get! They are chunky and DK weights and I think they'd make lovely socks, but I've tried socks once and couldn't do them - any tips?!

They'd make up lovely to anything really, but I'm so limited by my novice abilities. Any suggestions for easy things to make? The yarns are Sirdar Folksong and Sirdar Faroe if that helps. 

I'm thinking of making my M-I-L a lap blanket too, she has cancer and its terminal :( She had to have her right arm amputated and has adapted so well considering she is in her 70s, she's an inspiration. Maybe the DK ones would be good yarns for that - but how do I work out how many skeins I'd need for a lap blanket? 

I shall go and have a hunt around the rest of the 'ville for sock patterns too, am determined to learn! Its the heel I struggle with, and I'd rather work toe-up so that I don't get too far in then realise something is wrong. I've made ballet slippers, but for those you just sew together the heel piece... I wonder if you could do that for socks then start working in the round again? 

Off hunting I go, 

Later squares, have a great day!! 

Hey Squares, Kiddles and I are going to meet her godfather for breakfast, gasp, downtown! If you don't hear from me again, I got lost in downtown Chicago!

Perhaps an afternoon playdate for Kiddles, have to hear back from them, otherwise, just a lot of relaxing I hope!

Have a great day!

kuddles

well buck up all, all things happen for a reason, if not this house, pattern, job, etc then the next! What is the nature of your surgery Owlvamp, or would you rather not  divulge. Just curious really, surgery is surgery, right. Just wondering about the down time, and you know recovery time, and if it will affect your crochet!

Cleaned today a bit more than usual, phone guy coming today from 230 to 630. They just stopped HandyDandyman outside in the yard, and said they will be laying fiber optic line from 1230 to 3.00 so phone service will be out, what, we have been without phone service for days, he says, we just need our phone on, and if you can't do it today, we'll change carriers on monday....ok, wrong man, wrong yard for the phone guy!

Nothing much else happening, having a quietish day, cooler here, and I will probably crochet later on today! I found a score yesterday!! At a thrift store, something told me to go and see as I haven't been in there for a while, and low and behold, a cart full, in the front, of yarn most of it 59cents a skein!! I bought all the red heart, a pound of love antique white, a big bed spread type of zip lock plastic carry case full of odd skeins, mostly red heart, red, white, navy, green, rust, yellow, and a couple more I can't remember right now, several of them in the bag were the big 14 - 16 oz red hearts, the pound of love was in there, and several balls of different red heart colors. the bag was 5.99, the others that were separates, 59 cents.

Another lady spied it a short time after I found the cart in the front of the store, and she was respectful enough to wait till I had what I wanted before she meandered over, I was prepared to fight, honest, lol but she was nice, and waiting in the wings so to speak, so I was nice, and left her a couple suedes, and or chenile skeins, and some baby yarn, and one or two maybe of the fancy fur, and or eyelash. She was ok with that. getting it for her mom that made baby things for charity, soooo for a total of about 10 bucks, i got probably 30 or 40 bucks in yarn, the pound of loves go for at least 9 bucks, last time i check, so hec, did ok... Came home, ate a couple Inovasian chicken egg roles, and called it a lucky day, lol

I have it sorted, and put up now, for when I need it, and that sparked a cleaning of behind my easy chair in the craft room, which catches all the dust, and yarn bobs,and spread out into the rest of the craft room,  lol So, now done, put all away, clean and ready to work!

Have a good weekend all, and will chat later hopefully with the good news, my phones are fixed,,,,,sigh.......Eyes, fingers, toes, arms and legs all crossed!!!!

my surgery has to do with my stomach hernia. They may have to make it where they give me a smaller one depends on how bad it is when they get in there. They said if its really bad then I would benefit from moving the stomach and redoing the small intestine to the smaller pouch they make from my stomach. So in other words it all boils down I will have a small pouch. Right now it bothers me and also a lot lately have had heart burn to where I feel like I'm having a heart attack. That's why I ended up at the hospital and found out about the hernia when they put a scope down my throat. Just been in a lot of pain and just want it to all go away. Migraines come and go and today hasn't been the best of days. I am plugging along and will get through all this. Just one day at a time. Right now on a strict diet to shrink the liver so surgery will go awesome.

I don't usually tell anyone but its really not that personal and you all are my dear friends. My own family hasn't said a dang thing. Oh well life is life I will move on. They make mad and I don't want to think about them right now.

I would of bought all the yarn too. The eyelash yarn is one of my favorites. Great find!!

oh owlvamp hunnie, that sounds like some major surgery to recover from. I'm so glad though that they have a plan to make you better, and we will all be wishing you a very speedy recovery. I so know how you feel about families, a couple of members of mine have been less than useless to me with all that I'm going through, I'm very lucky I have amazing friends, and I hope that you too have people in your life that are making up for it. 

Have spent most of today working on one skein of yarn, it started out becoming slippers, then I frogged that and it started becoming a blanket, then I frogged that too and now it is becoming a tote bag! I think finally I have the right project for the yarn! Never made a crochet bag before, and as usual I'm making it up as I go along rather than following a pattern, so time will tell whether it ends up being a successful venture or not! I seem to be rather good at starting projects and not finishing them, I really need to learn some crochet discipline! 

At least I always finish my squares :) 

Still drooling over the Sirdar yarn I mentioned earlier, especially as I have found an online shop that is selling it cheap... I really want it, but I have no idea what to do with it!! Oooooh the temptation!

Katy - way to go on the yarn haul!! How exciting to find such a bargain! 

Immafreek - sorry you didn't get the house, been there, done that. It sucks but I'm sure it means the right house is out there still waiting for you. 

Pineknott - sorry to hear the visit was kind of sad, but I hope you had lots of happy times too. 

Kuddles - sure hope you are home safe and didn't get lost down town! 

Later squares! 

oh my owlvamp, that is something, we will be here all hoping it goes well for you, and thinking of you certainly. A smooth quick recovery will be my wish for you!

Hi Becca, sometimes I have days like that myself, lol gets quite noisey around here when I do, with all the rippit rippit going on!

Still awaiting phone man, still no phone, going on 10day now, at least as far as I can tell, that is the date we got the last incomming call anyways.....        later gator,,,,,,,Ill be back later on, had to look up a leaf, something was growing in one of my flower gardens, and it didn't look like a flower, well, it's not, it's a cottonwood leaf, yuk.......so pulling it up and throwing it in the trash, that's all i need is a cottonwood with my alergies, lol       

Congrats on your find Katie!  I actually "found" my crochet hooks, well so of them!  I am working on a throw or maybe a little bigger, it will be for my mom for Christmas.  She is in Indiana and is always cold, so I have about 6 skeins of chenille in a denim blue color.  It is actually going to be just one huge granny square when I am done.  It's stormy today, so it is a good day to stay inside and just crochet.  I did get two pair of Nike tennis shoes and a pair of New Balance for $15.  They are slightly used, but they have lots of tread on the bottom and will be good for walking.  I haven't done it in two weeks, so come Monday morning I need to be right back out! 

I feel your pain, though Katie, on not having a phone.  Mine is a cell phone, though.  I have been without one for over a week, and that is rough.  If I am at a place that has wireless internet, I can use it as my job's phone number is internet based.  So I call my mom and dad from that number until I can get a cell back.  I had Verizon, and it was just way to expensive - the data plan kills ya!!!  If it wasn't for the data plan, I would have been ok.  So, I am going to be getting another one, but not until probably two weeks or so!

Hope everyone has a great weekend, happy hooking!

Nothing much else happening, having a quietish day, cooler here, and I will probably crochet later on today! I found a score yesterday!! At a thrift store, something told me to go and see as I haven't been in there for a while, and low and behold, a cart full, in the front, of yarn most of it 59cents a skein!! I bought all the red heart, a pound of love antique white, a big bed spread type of zip lock plastic carry case full of odd skeins, mostly red heart, red, white, navy, green, rust, yellow, and a couple more I can't remember right now, several of them in the bag were the big 14 - 16 oz red hearts, the pound of love was in there, and several balls of different red heart colors. the bag was 5.99, the others that were separates, 59 cents.

Another lady spied it a short time after I found the cart in the front of the store, and she was respectful enough to wait till I had what I wanted before she meandered over, I was prepared to fight, honest, lol but she was nice, and waiting in the wings so to speak, so I was nice, and left her a couple suedes, and or chenile skeins, and some baby yarn, and one or two maybe of the fancy fur, and or eyelash. She was ok with that. getting it for her mom that made baby things for charity, soooo for a total of about 10 bucks, i got probably 30 or 40 bucks in yarn, the pound of loves go for at least 9 bucks, last time i check, so hec, did ok... Came home, ate a couple Inovasian chicken egg roles, and called it a lucky day, lol

I have it sorted, and put up now, for when I need it, and that sparked a cleaning of behind my easy chair in the craft room, which catches all the dust, and yarn bobs,and spread out into the rest of the craft room,  lol So, now done, put all away, clean and ready to work!

Have a good weekend all, and will chat later hopefully with the good news, my phones are fixed,,,,,sigh.......Eyes, fingers, toes, arms and legs all crossed!!!!

Wow! Lucky girl!!!!!!!

my surgery has to do with my stomach hernia. They may have to make it where they give me a smaller one depends on how bad it is when they get in there. They said if its really bad then I would benefit from moving the stomach and redoing the small intestine to the smaller pouch they make from my stomach. So in other words it all boils down I will have a small pouch. Right now it bothers me and also a lot lately have had heart burn to where I feel like I'm having a heart attack. That's why I ended up at the hospital and found out about the hernia when they put a scope down my throat. Just been in a lot of pain and just want it to all go away. Migraines come and go and today hasn't been the best of days. I am plugging along and will get through all this. Just one day at a time. Right now on a strict diet to shrink the liver so surgery will go awesome.

I don't usually tell anyone but its really not that personal and you all are my dear friends. My own family hasn't said a dang thing. Oh well life is life I will move on. They make mad and I don't want to think about them right now.

I would of bought all the yarn too. The eyelash yarn is one of my favorites. Great find!!

Hugs for the surgery! Sounds like most of us  have family members that are not up to standards........but we have to 'find' our family! Sometimes you aren't born into them, you find them along the way in life!

Kuddles - sure hope you are home safe and didn't get lost down town! 

Later squares! 

Hi! :yay ! I did not get lost because I did map it and the map was right! I was gripping the wheel I must say! This guy (godfather) is a short visit kind of guy. We were together all of 45 minutes! But he paid so that was nice! All in all, good visit. We are tired and are relaxing now. A play date didn't materialize but I'm good with that.

So while Kiddles is in her room playing with Legos, I have Lucky sitting at my feet and I'm enjoying the quiet! Rare so I better enjoy!

Take care all!

kuddles

Helloooooooooooooo Everyone!  Where does the time go?  I've been up since 7am and just now getting to say hello to you all!  I've been futzing about here and there, not doing much.  I took care of some financial paperwork that needed looking after and wrote a letter to a friend that I've been meaning to get around to doing, so I guess I did accomplish something today, lol.  Now it's time to crochet!

Katie, I hope they fix your phone today!  I know the lost feeling when you don't have it.  It drives me crazy when ours goes out.

What's this, Alaska was at 97 degrees?! What is going on!

owlvamp, hope you got a nap in. Before I got sick I used to be up with the chickens every morning.  It was great!  I would go for my morning walk at 4:30am, such a great way to start the day.  Now my sleep pattern is so off.  I sleep when I can, day or night. UGH.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers for your up coming surgery.  I know all about bad tummies. :hug

Becca, I don't know anything about that yarn but it sounds like it would make a lovely lapghan or shawl.  I can't remember it right now, but I know there's a link to help you figure out the amount of yarn you would need for a project.

Kuddles, oh kuddles did you find your way home??? :lol Sounds like you and Kiddles had a nice day planned.  Hope it all worked out.

Pineknott, I'm so sorry. :hug

ImmaFreak, so sorry you didn't get the house.  I know it's disappointing, but it must mean something better is just around the bend.

Katie, score!  Awesome find.  Hubby won't take me to any thrift stores because I've opened my big mouth and told him about the great finds you guys have got there, lol. For some reason all of a sudden he thinks I've got enough yarn! Wha! :no Never!

That's all folks.  Have a wonderful weekend!  And to those of us going thru a bit of a crochet slump it's ok, maybe try a small project like a dishcloth. or something you don't usually make.  Try a new stitch, or just give yourself a break.  Sometimes we need to do that.  It always comes back, we love our craft!  I sure do wish that I'd win the lottery. I'd fly you all out here so we could get together, sit and chat, drink coffee/tea/soda/whatever and crochet the day away!  Wouldn't that be fun? :c9

Archived