Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

I double rrss and it makes nice mats for the cats and dogs. I also make little blankets for them. I feel they need blankets too.

Mine like to snuggle so I figure a lot them like to snuggle. It's fun and I know they love them so much. I need to get a batch made up and drop them off the next time I'm out there.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All!  I'm having one of my typical days, started out with a migraine and it appears a lupus flare starting up all on top of a fungal infection which I found out about yesterday.  My nurse has been having me treat it as a yeast infection, well it's gotten worse, so called the dr.  Had to see his nurse practitioner and she took one look and said that's fungal and the cortisone while make it spread.  What have I been putting on it?  Yup! :lol Hopefully this new med will clear it up quickly.  Sorry for all the medical details. That's my life, lol.

So sorry to hear about the infection.  Sending up prayers for your healing.

Urgh really not looking forward to tomorrow, have some tasks to do that are making me anxious just thinking about them, even with the medication I'm on. But I must get them done, I've avoided them long enough. Think I'll try to get them done first thing then they'll be out of the way and I can go back to crocheting to calm down again. 

I get anxious about things I don't want to do.  I put them off as long as possible, which probably makes the anxiety worse.  You will do well tomorrow, Becca.  All your friends here are with you in spirit.

Good morning all! Back to 'regular' work hours of 8 - 4 with full hour for lunch! No more Fridays off but that's fine, I'm glad to have my hours back!

Have a great day!

kuddles

Hi all, 

Well I've done two of the things I had to do and that is a relief, the last one is a phonecall I really don't want to make though :( It's silly because like Honex99 says, putting it off is probably only making the anxiety worse, and yet I just can't face it. 

Hope you're all having a good Monday, we have had almost every type of weather possible in the space of a few hours here! Was sunny first thing, then a few showers, then a full on thunderstorm followed by hail, then rain and now sunshine again - what is going on?! 

Yay to the normal hours again Kuddles! 

Owlvamp - I don't know what rrss is but its funny coz just this morning I was thinking I could make some more out of two strands of DK weight. It's lovely doing something for the furries who need some love :) 

Katy - to answer about DK weight - It is 8 ply, so like 2 strands of 4ply/fingering weight  together but it is made to this weight so you don't actually double it yourself. When I joined this group and looked it all up what you guys call ww is 10 ply, so only a slight difference to DK, and we call it aran - If you have a look on Ravlery, you know when you search patterns and down the left hand side of the page you can sort by different things, and yarn weight is one of them - you'll see DK there as 8 ply, and two groups for 10ply - one called worsted and one called aran - as far as I can tell they're both the same just called different things in the UK/US. Have no idea if any of that made sense!! 

My OH is laying a new floor at my friend's house today, so he took her newly finished crochet slippers with him - she rang to say she loves them yay :) 

Off to find other ways to procrastinate and avoid the dreaded phone call - later squares! 

RHSS Red Heart Super Saver is the yarn. I'm sorry put to many r's .

Aha - I still don't know exactly what that is  :lol but I know what you mean now, I'm not sure if it is sold in the UK or not, I've not seen it for sale on the websites I use - what weight is that? I'm thinking two strands of aran/ww would work for pet beds? 

I think it's 4 ply. I don't go by weight if I like it I buy it. LOL:) now I've been crocheting 28 years now and my mom taught me but she just went by what she liked . I have learned so much more over the years and just winged it. I taught myself to read patterns oh my what a wonderful world that is. I used to get patterns the yarn and give it to my sister to do because she had someone who would help her read. Well one day I said enough is enough and asked for the patterns and yarn back and taught myself. It was very frustrating at first but I did it. YouTube is a wonderful place to go for help and the right person is amazing and I've learned so much.

Hi!  I've loved reading the posts this weekend though with so many of them, I've lost track of who said what :lol  I hope everyone is mending that needs mending and that everyone is well.  

Katie, I don't mind double-stranded yarn.  To answer your question, DK is almost like a light worsted here, or No. 3 yarn.  Aran is almost like worsted weight but a little thinner.  When I test for ShiFio, I use either the yarn that the pattern calls for (DK weight) or our light worsted.  I just change the hook to match the gauge, and then I'm off to continue with the pattern.  Really, if you have a pattern calling for DK weight yarn and all you have is light worsted, make the gauge swatch that the pattern calls for and just change your hook until you match the gauge.  The yarn is otherwise very similar.

Time to get ready for work :)

:hug

My goodness, you all are so knowledgable about yarn!! How come Im Not, lol I see I will have to do some research, here all this time, I just plug along with the regular type yarns we get here in the states, I know there are fancier yarns but for what I do and how much i do for charities, I well couldn't afford buying mohair, or alpaca, and it wouldn't be suitable for my projects either, so ....suffice to say, dk, double knitting, i did look that up, lol is much like our sports weight probably, from what Im understanding lol and aran here, i always thought was just a color, but come to find out, it's a TYPE of yarn too, and a weight! Merino wool, i know is the first wool of a sheep, first cutting I think, and undyed, is I dunno, I always thought undyed was aran too,,,,,,,,see, world to learn here yet!!!!!!!!

(shakes head in bewilderment!)

Ok, so nuff said, glad kuddles is back to her normal hours, how does that work out with Kiddles, as you won't have Friday's together anymore....

Thanks for all the info too everyone, I will do some research on yarns, lol

A pet mat or blankee, is wonderful Owlvamp, I do them as well! They are pretty fast, and they appreciate them soo much...

Im finding out though, maybe since Im not used to it, but working with double strand sports or baby yarn, is sort of hard to my hands, i suppose just cause I haven't done it in a while, so we will see.

I might just stuff them all back into the cupboard they came out of, and worry about it all at a later date, he he he,

Seriously, I will figure something out, going off now to take a couple pics of the ones I did make..... back later!

Would love to see the ones you made.

I have a lot to learn about yarn myself. There is just so much to learn and so little time.LOL

Better get cracking.

Katy - I wouldn't say I'm knowledgeable about yarn - I have a lot to learn! But I had to try and figure out what I could use for the ww squares to send to you lovely US ladies :)

Owlvamp - I really do have to learn how to read patterns one day. I can follow basic ones and have made a couple of things from patterns, but I must confess most of the time I like just getting some yarn and a hook that I like then seeing what happens! 

AngelRoseLite - One of the reasons I struggle with patterns is because of gauge. I think because I'm only a novice I don't always manage to crochet with the same tension all the way through... (or perhaps it happens when I'm crocheting at 3 in the morning!!) I'm sure with more practice one day I will be able to crochet properly! 

Well one of my own cats has stolen the cat bed!!!!! So now I need to make another one - I did try explaining to her it was for charity, but you know cats, they don't listen!! Its so funny, because she's rather a large cat, I like to think of her as a 'curvy lady' :) I snapped her for you to see: 

post-67796-0-26098900-1375128388_thumb.jpg

She barely even fits in it but she seems pretty determined to keep it! So going to try making one with two strands of DK as that was the only super bulky yarn I had. 

Did an ice cream run earlier... oh the goodies I have in my freezer, I don't know where to start!!  :lol

Later squares! 

Katy - I wouldn't say I'm knowledgeable about yarn - I have a lot to learn! But I had to try and figure out what I could use for the ww squares to send to you lovely US ladies :)

Owlvamp - I really do have to learn how to read patterns one day. I can follow basic ones and have made a couple of things from patterns, but I must confess most of the time I like just getting some yarn and a hook that I like then seeing what happens! 

AngelRoseLite - One of the reasons I struggle with patterns is because of gauge. I think because I'm only a novice I don't always manage to crochet with the same tension all the way through... (or perhaps it happens when I'm crocheting at 3 in the morning!!) I'm sure with more practice one day I will be able to crochet properly! 

Well one of my own cats has stolen the cat bed!!!!! So now I need to make another one - I did try explaining to her it was for charity, but you know cats, they don't listen!! Its so funny, because she's rather a large cat, I like to think of her as a 'curvy lady' :) I snapped her for you to see: 

attachicon.gifKotka's bed!.JPG

She barely even fits in it but she seems pretty determined to keep it! So going to try making one with two strands of DK as that was the only super bulky yarn I had. 

Did an ice cream run earlier... oh the goodies I have in my freezer, I don't know where to start!!  :lol

Later squares! 

yep, she looks determined to keep that bed for herself,beautiful coloring,we sure miss our calico named Marmalade

Pineknott, sorry about your mil.

Owlvamp, hope you get to feeling better.

Katie, it seems like it always gets a bit slow around Crochetville in the summer and for some reason it seems a little slower this year than in years past.  This thread is really active even though the list has dwindled down.  I am sure some will be back eventually and things will pick up.  I have had such a bad experience with Century Link as our phone provider.  Over a year ago I started keeping a log with all the times I notice there is a problem and all the times I have called in, what I was told and when or if anyone came out or contacted.  Many times they told me a date they would be working on it and it didn't happen.  They never actually come out to the house because the problem has always been at the boxes a few miles away.  Last year there was an intermittent problem with the line and it took months for them to figure out the problem.  Then they laid new cable so many days service would be out part of the day.  I thought they were through with all that and then in June we had three days that we would lose service about noon and it would come back at 8pm.  And the really frustrating part is my internet is dial up.  We can't get DSL.  

Ok, so nuff said, glad kuddles is back to her normal hours, how does that work out with Kiddles, as you won't have Friday's together anymore....

I don't mind.......it wasn't like I had a day 'off' with Kiddles in tow! LOL

Later squares! 

From one 'curvy lady' to another, you go Kotka!

Ice cream....sigh......now I want some! Dang you girl!

kuddles

Just a quick hello tonight.  Haven't hade the best of day's.  Hope to be back to my bright cheerful self tomorrow.  Becca, your kittie is adorable all curled in her new bed! Hugs to all.  See you tomorrow.

hi ya,some eye candy to feel you all better!!!!! (as dd used to say when she was little)

I just got a visit from Century link to fix my phone, you know, the one THEY fixed on Saturday....umm humm shows how ORGANIZED they are, doesn't it............sigh...........

anyway, on a brighter note, heres some of those double stranded baby yarn grannys I made, I like them, I think they will make a darling blankee!! in and with others like them, that is. I don't know If I would mix them, I don't think they are too hep on that idea, shy, you know.....

post-40621-0-35735800-1375143320_thumb.jpg                            post-40621-0-66427600-1375143353_thumb.jpg

Oh my gosh, you guys, I have so much internet to catch up on. I have blog post drafts that are months old and emails and conversations I need to respond to. I just don't even.

My husband's uncle passed away yesterday. :( He had just gotten some tests done and was all right, and he'd been scheduled for valve replacement surgery. Then Saturday night he drove himself into the hospital and it ended up his kidneys were failing. FIL (his brother) got up there Sunday morning and probably around nine, ten or so the report was that he was awake, though not talking because he was on a respirator. Then Sunday afternoon DH called me while I was out shopping with the little guy, and said he didn't make it. I knew what had happened as soon as I answered the phone and his voice was quiet, but I still didn't quite believe it. I'd made up my mind that he was awake, his brother had gotten to the hospital, so everything was going to be ok, right? Right?

The worst part is, his only son (he's divorced and as far as I know the mother is not in the son's life at all) is working in California right now, and when he heard his dad was in the hospital it shocked him so bad he had a seizure, so HE was hospitalized TOO and couldn't come out and who knows if he'd even have been able to get here in time anyway, but yeah, it's just all bad. :(

I'm still around. Don't get online as much as I like here at the 'ville but I'm still crocheting away! I have squares to send to Smith tomorrow and realized I never got her addy.

I am happy to report that I successfully completed my cert 3 in aged care and will soon be starting cert 4. I am finding I am getting a couple days off between shifts and plenty more night shifts are coming my way. So it is giving me plenty of time for crocheting. I am going to watch pride and prejudice and work on Shai's skulduggery pleasant afghan.

This is too funny.  My cats would probably do the same thing.

hi ya,some eye candy to feel you all better!!!!! (as dd used to say when she was little)

I just got a visit from Century link to fix my phone, you know, the one THEY fixed on Saturday....umm humm shows how ORGANIZED they are, doesn't it............sigh...........

anyway, on a brighter note, heres some of those double stranded baby yarn grannys I made, I like them, I think they will make a darling blankee!! in and with others like them, that is. I don't know If I would mix them, I don't think they are too hep on that idea, shy, you know.....

attachicon.gif100_3525.jpg                            attachicon.gif100_3533.jpg

I love your squares!  You are one fast lady :)

Oh my gosh, you guys, I have so much internet to catch up on. I have blog post drafts that are months old and emails and conversations I need to respond to. I just don't even.

My husband's uncle passed away yesterday. :( He had just gotten some tests done and was all right, and he'd been scheduled for valve replacement surgery. Then Saturday night he drove himself into the hospital and it ended up his kidneys were failing. FIL (his brother) got up there Sunday morning and probably around nine, ten or so the report was that he was awake, though not talking because he was on a respirator. Then Sunday afternoon DH called me while I was out shopping with the little guy, and said he didn't make it. I knew what had happened as soon as I answered the phone and his voice was quiet, but I still didn't quite believe it. I'd made up my mind that he was awake, his brother had gotten to the hospital, so everything was going to be ok, right? Right?

The worst part is, his only son (he's divorced and as far as I know the mother is not in the son's life at all) is working in California right now, and when he heard his dad was in the hospital it shocked him so bad he had a seizure, so HE was hospitalized TOO and couldn't come out and who knows if he'd even have been able to get here in time anyway, but yeah, it's just all bad. :(

My heart goes out to your family.  It's all too sad.  My condolences.

I'm still around. Don't get online as much as I like here at the 'ville but I'm still crocheting away! I have squares to send to Smith tomorrow and realized I never got her addy.

I am happy to report that I successfully completed my cert 3 in aged care and will soon be starting cert 4. I am finding I am getting a couple days off between shifts and plenty more night shifts are coming my way. So it is giving me plenty of time for crocheting. I am going to watch pride and prejudice and work on Shai's skulduggery pleasant afghan.

Congratulations, Paula.  I love Pride and Prejudice.  You gave me a good movie idea for tonight :)

Just a quick hello tonight.  Haven't hade the best of day's.  Hope to be back to my bright cheerful self tomorrow.  Becca, your kittie is adorable all curled in her new bed! Hugs to all.  See you tomorrow.

I hope you're feeling better soon.  :hug

so sorry viking to hear of your family's loss..

Aussie Paula, nice to hear from you, we've missed you, and congrats on your training progress!

Hello maria and honex!

I figured I better check this thread a couple times a day in order to keep up on it all, and for you ms Kuddles, in the am, Good morning!!!!!!! lol

I am so sorry! Hugs sending your way and your in our prayers.

bgs thank you !

be ca your kitty is beautiful and she loves her new bed.LOL I like how you did it. I know no pattern you just winged it.

Katy those are beautiful blocks.

Good night all.

Afternoon squares! 

VikingRunnerGirl - I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news, my thoughts are with your family at such a difficult time  :hug

Katy - Wow those squares are so pretty! Great job! 

AussiePaula - congratulations on the achievement, really well done! Glad you are getting lots of time to crochet between work :)

Grannyannie - I really hope you start to feel better soon, I have a chronic condition called M.E. and I know how horribly frustrating it is when things flare up or you have a relapse,  :hug to you too. 

Owlvamp - Hope things are going a bit better for you, do you have a date for the surgery yet? 

Kuddles - I hope you had some ice cream, because that will make me feel better for how much I had!! I found these Lyons Golden Syrup cones, oh my, they are like heaven, but sooooo bad for me!! 

I hope I haven't missed anyone...

Thanks for all the lovely comments about my curvy lady Kotka, she has hit middle age and just ballooned bless her! It happens to the best of us! (Particularly when they're partial to ice cream!!)

The yarn I fell in love with arrived today, my goodness it is every bit as beautiful in real life as I thought it would be. MIL is going to love a lap 'ghan made of this :)

Have a lovely Tuesday everyone xxxx

Archived