2012 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

Stashbusters - do NOT go to Michael's. I repeat, do NOT go to Michael's!

They are having a huge sale. Vanna's was 2 for 5, impeccable was 2 each... cotton was 1 per.

Oh dear I don't know how I got out of there!

I bought 6 cotton BUT they are not for me. They are not going anywhere near my stash so I can get them in the mail for a swap and call it done :P

Although I did grab me some cabled knitting needles :P

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stashbusters - do NOT go to Michael's. I repeat, do NOT go to Michael's!

They are having a huge sale. Vanna's was 2 for 5, impeccable was 2 each... cotton was 1 per.

Oh dear I don't know how I got out of there!

I bought 6 cotton BUT they are not for me. They are not going anywhere near my stash so I can get them in the mail for a swap and call it done :P

Although I did grab me some cabled knitting needles :P

Thanks for the warning. Being broke helps too.

:manyheart

I am working on a potholder for the swap, and used up a skein. So I'm at a positive number (+2) so far.

I bought yarn yesterday, but it went straight to my DD's stash for the hats she is making her friends. And my 8 year old son is NOT helping me out! We were in the yarn aisle and he's throwing POUNDERS in the cart!!!!! Saying, "you need these mom." :devil Little stinker! :lol

What a good boy!!!!! He's gonna make some crafter a mighty fine hubby in the future!

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

I don't think it's weird. If that's what keeps you on track, then that's great!!

At the end of last year, I had a full bag to take to recycling. I'm hoping to fill two bags this year, but I'm already behind. :( I'm also behind my New Year's Resolution of "Using up my Yarn Stash". :eek I figured that I would need to average three skeins per day to reach that goal, but I'm not sure what I'll do without a yarn stash.

Oh, well. I only used up one skein so far today. Must. Stay. Off. Computer.

:compute:ccompute:ebay

:kick Stay off the computer! :sofunny Like I'll really listen.

Being on the broke side is getting me to look in my stash more when starting a new project. I made a potholder out of blue for a swap, and then with the rest of the blue, made another one and trimmed it with red and white. This one is for the county fair. And all three colors were in my stash.

So, I used up some stash, and made something for a swap partner, and the county fair.

Now if I can just keep this up, I will really try to stay in the positives.

cris, its easy for me not to go to Michael's :lol The closest one to me is an hour one way. Same for Joann's. Hobby Lobby is about 30-45 minutes, so I tend to go there more often. Sadly I buy online. A lot. :lol

I wish I had more than just a skein or two of certain colors. I'd love to make hubby or my mother an afghan, but I don't have bulk amounts in colors. And since I already have cotton on its way (Tuesday is the earliest it will ship), I don't want to buy anymore to ruin my stashbusting score.

Just knocked out "the city neckwarmer" posted on Ravelry. Not 100% if I like it or not.... we shall see. I'll give it a couple days and see if I like it.

Either way, used 1.5 skeins on it so pulled 3 points. The last of the skein is rolled into a nice lil ball sitting in a stash basket. Back into the positives YAY

Thought about reporting yesterday morning but hadn't booted computer. Don't know where the day went, then today with all our snow and hubby needing help outside time slipped away. Got a lot done last week on yellow and blue charity afghan and start of a preemie blanket to break up routine. Since I missed deadline I will report totals in combination with this week's usage. From totals it looks like we made good progress.

I went to Joann's today to pick up a new I hook since I can't find mine :think and that's what I'm using on my current project....anyhow, I managed to leave with NO new yarn :eek Being broke is helping me too :lol

Good for you! Sometimes, it's so hard not to let those nice, cozy skeins of yarn jump in your cart.

I went to Joann's today to pick up a new I hook since I can't find mine :think and that's what I'm using on my current project....anyhow, I managed to leave with NO new yarn :eek Being broke is helping me too :lol

I'm with you. I just spent better than an hour walking around Hobby Lobby with my mom and sister and never even went near the yarn corner. Thank goodness I was broke!!! :D

I've started on a pinwheel afghan. It uses 15 colors with a black border. I bought the yarn last year, but never got to it. It's going fairly fast. But it looks like the joke's on me--I don't think the afghan will finish off any of the colors except the black!

Ack! I was so busy with having to make up hours at work on Saturday and then taking a nap before the work holiday party (and then I just simply forgot... Ooops...) that I didn't get my score in! Of course, I haven't had a lot of time to crochet so my score is still WTD: 0, YTD:0

Ack! I was so busy with having to make up hours at work on Saturday and then taking a nap before the work holiday party (and then I just simply forgot... Ooops...) that I didn't get my score in! Of course, I haven't had a lot of time to crochet so my score is still WTD: 0, YTD:0

Things happen. Better luck next week.

Well, last night, my DD#1 decided that she wanted me to UNDO her entire round ripple and make it into a rectangular square motif. I'm taking it a color at a time. So, last night, though I frogged what would have probably been a skein, I also used it up making squares, so I'm still at +2 for the week.

I frogged the ruffle on the christening gown and started over on fixed knitting needles. I had them on the kind that you can change needles on, and they kept opening on me. Interchangeable needles give me problems. Very frustrating.:angry

It's confession time. Last Friday my hubby and I were going out to eat to celebrate our wedding anniversary (which was Saturday January 14th - 23 years) but changed our minds because we had real cold weather Friday. We went today instead. I wanted to go to WalMart before going to the restaurant which we did. This WalMart is not a Super Center one. Its just a WalMart like they used to be. But their fabric/craft section is outstanding. I wanted to go look at the yarn. Okay, "look" is the operative word here. I told my hubby I was not promising I would not buy any yarn but it did have to be at a good price and they had to have the colors I wanted. Joann.com currently has RHSS 7 oz skeins for $2.49. Well wouldn't you know it. My WalMart had RHSS at $2.33 for a 7 oz skein. They also had the big pounders (well they used to be pounders they are now 14 oz at $5.44). They had the colors I wanted in the 7 oz size. So what happened. Suddenly 18 skeins jumped in my cart. I didn't know what to do. They all just suddenly jumped in and begged me to take them home with me. They even promised to be good in the cold car trunk while we were in the restaurant. They weren't the only thing that jumped in my cart today. As I was passing an end cap on my way back to the far corner of the store where the fabric/craft department is an electric fleece blanket jumped in. It told me "Kathy you know how cold you get in the winter. Yes you have all kinds of afghans to wrap up in and even a chenille robe large enough to fit over your clothes to keep you warm. But I am electric. And I come in a several shades of blue plaid. You know you just love blue." So what could I say. It came home with me to. But the really great thing is I only spent a little over $17 of our money for everything. I had a gift card from WalMart that I have had for a very very long time. Kept forgetting to use it. But not today.

So my score so far for the week ending January 21, 2012, will be -36. :eek

I've been :crocheting away & have finished all the pieces to the afghan I'm making for my brother for his b-day, but have yet to finish off any more skeins. I do, however, have 10 skeins that I'll be dropping off at our local thrift store tomorrow. They are some that were gifted to me a LONG time ago that I have never used, so I'm going to send them on their merry way. So, for now, until my yarn order arrives, I'm at a +20!!:clap

Archived