2012 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

:lol Kathy. I know the feeling, and it doesn't help that my hubby works for Walmart, so I get the employee discount (which pays the sales tax and a little bit more).

I really do need to go through my stash and take out the skeins that I'm likely to NOT use and donate them to the thrift store for the animal shelter. I have a bunch of the RH Kids colors that I'm not likely to use. I just need to dig them out of the crates.

Maybe I'll do some stash digging when my cotton gets here. If I donate as much as I bought, I won't have a negative score :D

Yeah, my shoulder is bothering me so I did 1 hat today, not much getting done this week. Though I do have the next 2 days of relative quiet at work to do some stuff.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've started on a pinwheel afghan. It uses 15 colors with a black border. I bought the yarn last year, but never got to it. It's going fairly fast. But it looks like the joke's on me--I don't think the afghan will finish off any of the colors except the black!

Can you share the location for your pinwheel pattern?

It's confession time. Last Friday my hubby and I were going out to eat to celebrate our wedding anniversary (which was Saturday January 14th - 23 years) but changed our minds because we had real cold weather Friday. We went today instead. I wanted to go to WalMart before going to the restaurant which we did. This WalMart is not a Super Center one. Its just a WalMart like they used to be. But their fabric/craft section is outstanding. I wanted to go look at the yarn. Okay, "look" is the operative word here. I told my hubby I was not promising I would not buy any yarn but it did have to be at a good price and they had to have the colors I wanted. Joann.com currently has RHSS 7 oz skeins for $2.49. Well wouldn't you know it. My WalMart had RHSS at $2.33 for a 7 oz skein. They also had the big pounders (well they used to be pounders they are now 14 oz at $5.44). They had the colors I wanted in the 7 oz size. So what happened. Suddenly 18 skeins jumped in my cart. I didn't know what to do. They all just suddenly jumped in and begged me to take them home with me. They even promised to be good in the cold car trunk while we were in the restaurant. They weren't the only thing that jumped in my cart today. As I was passing an end cap on my way back to the far corner of the store where the fabric/craft department is an electric fleece blanket jumped in. It told me "Kathy you know how cold you get in the winter. Yes you have all kinds of afghans to wrap up in and even a chenille robe large enough to fit over your clothes to keep you warm. But I am electric. And I come in a several shades of blue plaid. You know you just love blue." So what could I say. It came home with me to. But the really great thing is I only spent a little over $17 of our money for everything. I had a gift card from WalMart that I have had for a very very long time. Kept forgetting to use it. But not today.

So my score so far for the week ending January 21, 2012, will be -36. :eek

Congrats on your anniversary :hug And it's amazing how things in the store have a mind of their own :think It happens to me all the time :eek

It's snowing pretty darn hard now, so I am finishing up the housework needed, then curling up with a project. Not a big fan of winter. Anyone want to trade places with me? Someplace warm and sunny?

:manyheart

Well I'm at 0 so far this week, but should get to +1 maybe tonight. I did get to crochet the last 2 nights. But, working on an afghan I started last year making 20 sunflower squares to join. Anyhoo, I had 3 done already and as I was doing the 4th I decided I really didn't like the 3rd and 4th to last rounds which might actually have something to do with its fate of getting cast aside :think So on Sunday I decided to change it, but still getting a similar look and like how that 4th square came out. So to the frog pond I went with the other 3. I did 1 and 1/2 on Sunday and the other 1 1/2 yesterday so they are all caught up. I started the 5th yesterday also and used up they yarn that was left over from frogging the other 3 (I guess my new way also uses a bit less yarn) so haven't really used anything yet for this week other than that of the 4th square, but wasn't enough to count for anything. :think:lol

It's snowing pretty darn hard now, so I am finishing up the housework needed, then curling up with a project. Not a big fan of winter. Anyone want to trade places with me? Someplace warm and sunny?

That sounds wonderful to me, but I can't trade with you because it's raining here and although it's a high in the 50s today, tomorrow should be in the 20s with flurries and snow to follow on thursday. I enjoy winter, granted I wouldn't want it all year round, but do really like having the change of seasons :manyheart

It's the October afghan in Annie's Attic Crochet Afghan Calendar 2010. The designer is Ernestine Barff.

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to seeing your finished product. I searched, but had no luck since it's the 2010 calendar, I can't seem to pull it up.

finished a divine hat this morning. Didn't quite use up all the yarn...grrrr. I may have to start some kind of scrap 'ghan with the self striping yarn..maybe with black..maybe a RR. Since the self striping yarn is different than say rhss I don't think it would look good added to my granny scrap 'ghan that uses the more standard ww yarn like rhss or caron pounders. But I have to do SOMETHING with these yarn ends. Not enough for another hat...

Went to walmart..bought more self striping yarn :lol for more hats for the cancer center. -8

wtd: -7

now that I had that posted in the :think tote :think cal..thought I'd move it over here :hook:hook

:lol

We haven't had snow yet. I don't think we will this winter. It just doesn't feel like it. It's been pretty warm. But, in a month, we will be moving to PA, and I'm never going to be warm again, lol.

Finished up a skein this morning on my scarf. :crocheting Plenty more crocheting to do today because I was such a slacker yesterday.

We haven't had snow yet. I don't think we will this winter. It just doesn't feel like it. It's been pretty warm. But, in a month, we will be moving to PA, and I'm never going to be warm again, lol.

Finished up a skein this morning on my scarf. :crocheting Plenty more crocheting to do today because I was such a slacker yesterday.

Ooo, where in PA are you headed to?

now that I had that posted in the :think tote :think cal..thought I'd move it over here :hook:hook

:lol

:lol I tend to do that a lot then I actually catch a glimpse of where it is being posted and back up :D

I've started a magic ball with all the little bits leftover from my skeins, since its not enough to even have a good row or two on a hat with but I consider the skein done, you know? Sadly, I had one from last week that I think hubby threw away when we were cleaning up the living room day before yesterday :angry

So right now, I have to very pathetic clumps of yarn sitting on the sidetable :lol

I spent almost all of yesterday crocheting and didn't finish off any of the 7 colors that are in the graphghan I'm working on. I need to make an afghan for a baby gift and needed sport weight yarn so I stopped at AC Moore today, I came home with 11 skeins for the baby gift and 2 pretty skeins of baby yarn that were on sale. So my score is now -26, hopefully I will get a lot done on the baby afghan so I can improve my score.

I pulled out all my stash yesterday. Yes, I know. I kept finding skeins of black yarn! :lol I took photos of it, and I'll be posting them soon... I also wound up two partial skeins into balls and should have another ball or two used up maybe tomorrow!! :) I'm writing down what I do otherwise I'm sure I'll forget. :blush

Okay, here are some photos of some of my stash. :yarn This is the worsted weight acrylic section; it covers my queen-sized bed... and the small tote I have of baby-weight (or sport weight) yarn. I think it might take me a while to get through all this!! What do you think? :think

post-25611-135897727589_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727594_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727597_thumb.jpg

post-25611-1358977276_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727603_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727606_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727609_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727611_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727614_thumb.jpg

Here are some photos of other aspects of my stash... I have a bag (thanks to Kuddle Kubs) that I put all my balls of yarn in. I am making a granny square blanket from this bag of balls. :yarn

post-25611-135897727617_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727622_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727625_thumb.jpg

See how big and fat the bag can get? It's a good thing, too, or I wouldn't be able to fit all my balls in there!! :lol

I went a little crazy with the cotton yarn back when it was on sale... shhh! Don't tell my husband! :devil

Here is one of my Lion Brand Pop-Up Yarn Caddies with the Cones of cotton I have collected... there is space at the top, just keep in mind these caddies are 14 inches square on the top and 23 inches tall!

post-25611-135897727629_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727632_thumb.jpg

I also have a fairly nice collection of Cotton-Ease...

post-25611-135897727636_thumb.jpg

Then there is the cotton that is in balls instead of cones...

post-25611-135897727642_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727646_thumb.jpg

... and the rather impressive (I think, anyway! :lol) collection of novelty type yarns... this is my other Lion Brand Pop Up Yarn Caddy...

post-25611-13589772765_thumb.jpg

post-25611-135897727653_thumb.jpg

And finally, my meager collection of thread. I'm perfectly fine with this amount of thread, though, because I rarely work with it. This amount will probably last me forever!!! :lol

post-25611-135897727656_thumb.jpg

Now, I realize my stash isn't as big as a lot of people's (I remember hearing talk of closets, guest bedrooms, and even barns!! :eek), and I hope you enjoyed checking it out with me!!

:manyheart:hug:hook

[ATTACH]50320[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50321[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50322[/ATTACH]

... and the rather impressive (I think, anyway! :lol) collection of novelty type yarns... this is my other Lion Brand Pop Up Yarn Caddy...

[ATTACH]50323[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50324[/ATTACH]

And finally, my meager collection of thread. I'm perfectly fine with this amount of thread, though, because I rarely work with it. This amount will probably last me forever!!! :lol

[ATTACH]50325[/ATTACH]

Now, I realize my stash isn't as big as a lot of people's (I remember hearing talk of closets, guest bedrooms, and even barns!! :eek), and I hope you enjoyed checking it out with me!!

What a drool-worthy stash! :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool I think I'm in love with your stash! :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart

I wish my stash was that organized. Mine is spread throughout the house (basement, two bedrooms, and temperature-controlled attic). By the way, those pop-ups are great. I've used pop-up hampers to corral some of my yarn when it's waiting for scrap projects. The rest of my yarn is stored in vacuum-sealed space bags. That way I can store two to three-times as much yarn in the same amount of space. :yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn

Your stash is awesome! Now, you need to get moving to bust it. :devil

This is not one of my good weeks for stash busting. I've only used up five skeins so far (so +10), but I've finished three afghans. Go figure! At least I'm in positive territory and getting WIP's completed.

All I can say is WOW! :eek That is the biggest stash I've ever seen!

[ATTACH]50320[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50321[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50322[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50323[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50324[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50325[/ATTACH]

...and my husband thinks I have a lot of yarn! Lol. I'm so jealous! I know I have over 100 skeins in my stash, but it's mostly in a very large tote, in the back of my car. My house is up for sale, so I decided I'd put it there so I can still get to it. I do have a basket in my closet that has some colors that I'm currently working with in it though.

Nice stash Melanie :drool I don't really have much compared to you ladies...but I'm also on a yarn buying hiatus since I'm broke so unless I need it for a specific project, it stays put :( Plus, I'm currently living with my sister and her bf so don't want to overwhelm him :lol

I worked some squares last night and my ghan is going to be 12 instead of 20 so will be 3'x4' prior to the border. Still didn't finish my skein though :shrug

Archived