A dying art

I was waiting for my mother at a doctor's office yesterday and working on a small doily. Another woman (probably in her sixties) sitting there commented that it was a dying art. I was too startled to know how to respond. I spend so much of my time wrapped up in needlework that it was almost as if she were speaking a foreign language to me! When I attend shows centering around yarns or fabrics or even go shopping for them there are always so many people interested and involved in the same thing. It actually felt odd to me that someone would think it was so rare. (A handyman working in the office mentioned that his house is full of quilts because his mother-in-law is an avid quilter---he seemed to find needle crafts normal.) When I told my mother about this exchange, she said that these crafts weren't popular until a resurgence several years ago. I can't imagine a life without a hook or needle in my hand, can you?

I was waiting for my mother at a doctor's office yesterday and working on a small doily. Another woman (probably in her sixties) sitting there commented that it was a dying art. I was too startled to know how to respond. I spend so much of my time wrapped up in needlework that it was almost as if she were speaking a foreign language to me! When I attend shows centering around yarns or fabrics or even go shopping for them there are always so many people interested and involved in the same thing. It actually felt odd to me that someone would think it was so rare. (A handyman working in the office mentioned that his house is full of quilts because his mother-in-law is an avid quilter---he seemed to find needle crafts normal.) When I told my mother about this exchange, she said that these crafts weren't popular until a resurgence several years ago. I can't imagine a life without a hook or needle in my hand, can you?

I'm one of the few at my work who crochets. On my shift, there's several hundred people in the shop, and I know of only maybe 3 people who crochet or knit, and that's including me!

I can't imagine not having my crafts.

I admit that when I'm online, it seems like everyone "around" me is a crafter of some sort, crocheting, scrapbooking, whatever. But in real life, I have only one friend who makes anything and she's a knitter so hooking wise, I do sometimes feel like I'm the only one that does it. If that makes any sense! lol

Crocheting in public is a funny thing, you'll get a lot of people that think like this lady because it's just not that commonplace to see it anymore. At least I don't really ever see it outside of my online hookers. lol :crocheting

That's why we need to hook in public more often! :hook

perhaps its the different areas of the country have different amounts of folks interested; because here, it's not so uncommon. 1 branch of the local library has had two classes to teach, theres me of course, my friend tammy, the 2 wmn who taught me to knit, and i could go way on to include the local artisan members, churches, etc that knit/crochet. i am not a spinner, but know several folks who are as well as i've been trying (slowly) to learn to tat at times (tatting is much rarer around here than the knit/crochet/quilt (we have a guild of quilters), and many other types of crafts).

this is, however, a fairly small area, where folks still can their food, hunt, fish, etc as nearly a way of life. just a few hrs from the joseph campbell folkarts school, reynolds homestead, and we have several folklife festivals. so, this longwinded post is very much an agreement w/ you that I wouldnt know what to do if it wasnt for my crafts/hobbies/etc. it's a local tradition.

Well, you did mention doily. Now, I'm a thready, so I don't think this way at all, but even a lot of yarn crafters, who might appreciate the skill required to make them, think doilies are a pointless waste of time. Not that many people use them any more.

I come have come upon more n more people lately that Do crochet. It's how I met my 3 friends here in Ga. Met one in the yarn isle of walmart and she was debating to learn Crochet or Knit. and I talked her into Crochet and offerd to teach her.. we then started our lil Group, and we soon after met our other friends.

I also just the other day Discoverd my Sister in law Crochets. and she's been married to my brother since i was 11. (im almost 35 now). and I never knew she knew how. but My uncle Crochets too. and i've come upon ladies in my hubby's Dibetic dr office crocheting.

I don't think it's realy a "dying" art. just you got ppl like her thinkin that and mabey ppl who crochet who don't go out in public and do it... I know I have gotten comments from Younger people saying "isnt that a "granny" craft? my own hubby n kids joke n call me granny when I sit in my old wicker rocker n crochet n rock lol.

I had someone make this statement to me just the other day. I promptly informed them that NO! Crochet was alive and well. That it is actually rather popular. Even my doily that I was working on was not a dying art form. That there were lot's of people who enjoyed the relaxation and sense of achievement that crocheting provides.

I never go anywhere with out my hook and a project. Normally a doily as it's so easy to pack around. Alot of times it starts a conversation with fellow crafters and other times it is admired by non crochetiers. Either way it's a great ice breaker.

I've been crocheting about 40 years. When I lived in NYC, I used to crochet on the subway - many people would come up to me and comment on my work.

Now that I live in South Jersey, it seems to be more common place. I've also seen a resurgence of crocheting and knitting.

I'm also lucky to have 3 craft stores near me - AC Moore, Michaels & Joann. Someone always has yarn on sale.

Well, you did mention doily. Now, I'm a thready, so I don't think this way at all, but even a lot of yarn crafters, who might appreciate the skill required to make them, think doilies are a pointless waste of time. Not that many people use them any more.

Well, I'm not a thready - but I do admire a beautiful doily!! I have a couple that I was lucky enough to have given to me; one of them was made by my Great-grandmother (who knows when)... and the other one was made by a friend of mine. :) I plan to tackle thread eventually, but for right now I don't venture too far away from yarn. Thread seems to tense me up more than relax me at this point... ;) Someday, I hope!! :yes

• 2 weeks later...

See, I've been in so many different areas of the country now that I can honestly say that crochet has had a huge resurgence in the last few years, but that for a long time, it was a dying art. I'd say that I was working on a project and I would get this baffled look and someone would ask me why in the world I was crocheting. I often made friends outside my age bracket because who expects a high school girl to crochet?

I'm now almost twenty-three and I'm still crocheting, and I occasionally still get comments at work, although they're always complimentary. I think it's just that most people can't imagine spending hours on crafting something anymore, you know what I mean?

For example, I made that bag for my manager, Jennifer, and both she and the girl who was present when I gave it to her fell madly in love with it, but I don't think Melissa saw the point of making a bag when you can go out and buy one. It gives me a sense of satisfaction knowing that I can create something, and besides, I've got a hope chest full of yarn just waiting to be. LOL.

Now Mel wants me to make her a tutu for her daughter if she buys the material, so that will be a fun learning experience.

Had a phone conversation just the other day with a friend I don't speak too often, she asked if crochet was still an "in " thing as she assumed it was just kinda not done much anymore, not in vogue I think were her words! I bit my tongue, and clenched my teeth, and let it go, after all, we don't speak that often, and had i voiced my thoughts, we might not speak again! ha ha, just goes to show you, to each their own, and in her own ways, she was not being mean, just communicating her thoughts is all...quesera sera, whatever will be, will be!

To think of crochet/knitting as a dying/dead art seems rather absurd.

I think, if anything else, hand crafts are seeing a pretty significant resurgence. Possibly due to the hard economic times a lot of the world is seeing, or possibly just because it's easier and cheaper to learn than ever. With the invent of the internet there is a greater degree of accessibility to other crafters, more sharing of patterns and methods, and more opportunity for discussion and collaboration. New methods are being developed and shared and old methods are being resurrected and given the spotlight again.

Even among those I know personally, crafting has started to reemerge. 8 years ago the only one of us who did any yarn craft was my wife; and she really just did afghans and scarves. Since then over half of us have picked up yarn craft of some kind or another; and my wife has started operating outside her original comfort zone. We're buying more yarn and trying new projects and stitches; all the while dreaming up even more projects to do.

And between all of us, we have a huge range. Two of our friends knit; one mostly does flat work like shawls, scarves, and 'ghans while the other is more tubular with sweaters, mittens, and hats. I have an uncle who does huge, simple afghans, and a pair of grandmothers who make smaller more complex 'ghans. My wife does a bit of everything, with simple afghans, granny square 'ghans, socks, and hats being her forte, while I do tighter work like amigurumi, bags, and Tunisian. I suck at gauging so I stopped trying to make clothing for the time being. I have a sister-in-law who knits very beautful scarves and blankets with quite complex chording, and a sister who desperately wants me to teach her to crochet next time I visit (She wants to learn to do the amigurumi as I do). Apparently many of my sister's co-workers want to learn amigurumi since seeing some of the things I've made, so I may have to do a class o.O.

Now that some of us are becoming very comfortable, maybe even proficient with our basic crafts, we have all started pushing the boundaries. Changing patterns to meet our needs, graphing, trying new exciting stitches and tools. I've even started in on designing an amigurumi of my own; something I couldn't even have dreamed of doing a year ago (not finished yet, but getting there). All of it with support from the huge knowledge base that has been forming in the online community and supported by all the literature availiable in books and magazines.

Really, I can't think of a time I'd rather have taken up the hook. There is more readily available information out there than there has ever been. More books, more tutorials, more articles, more experts willing to lend help, and more people willing to cheer you on. Forums, tutorial sites, blogs, pictures, galleries, and more, all at the click of the mouse or the quick addition to an online cart. Yarns of every color, weight, size, and material available to those who look for it. Instead of a small circle of 5-10 people hooking at their weekly craft meeting we have a global community all sharing the craft (ok, we have BOTH now).

Dying? I'd say quite the opposite. Flourishing is the word I'd use. You may not see it around everywhere you go; but if you wander around the yarn section in a big-box store during a 50% off super sale, you would never believe that yarn work was a dying art.

Cheers,

Taco

Had a phone conversation just the other day with a friend I don't speak too often, she asked if crochet was still an "in " thing as she assumed it was just kinda not done much anymore, not in vogue I think were her words! I bit my tongue, and clenched my teeth, and let it go, after all, we don't speak that often, and had i voiced my thoughts, we might not speak again! ha ha, just goes to show you, to each their own, and in her own ways, she was not being mean, just communicating her thoughts is all...quesera sera, whatever will be, will be!

has she been in a clothing store lately? Even target, on the kids rack...more than 25%, maybe even half of the clothes have crocheted embellishment.

Granted, that's commercially made stuff, and the quality isn't what we hand-artists produce, but it doesn't look to me like handwork--crochet, knit, etc--is a dying art. :U

There is some truth in that fewer people know handwork than, say, 100 years ago, when as part of their education, all little girls learned to sew, knit, tat, crochet, embroider, quilt, etc etc. (some boys learned too) :tup Admittedly, it was more necessary to develop many of those skills, for basic necessities. But even necessities got prettied up when possible. Now, it seems, hand work is more of a hobby or artistic past-time than anything. and, I agree, there's an increased interest on such art. :yes:yarn

I think it comes and goes. I did not learn as a kid, but when I wanted to make dolls clothes and toys, I decided I needed to learn and found that lots of people around me knew and started up again when they saw me doing it.

If you look at the number of books and e-patterns being published I don't see it as a dying art.

• 5 months later...

My mother taught me how to crochet when I was about 12 years old and I haven't really stopped when I could no longer draw learning from my mom with the exotic stitches I wanted to try I had to learn on my own, she commented recently how I have far surpassed her skills. It was something that was not normal to do in high school and it was frowned upon by the more popular girls when I would say that I had made something. How dare I not just buy a beanie!

But now that I am a mother of one (another on the way) I couldn't imagine not crocheting. I made blankets my 5 year old still uses today when he was born, he has asked me for several beanies and now of course Christmas would not be the same this year without all of my little Amigurumi. So if its a dying art, I for one, plan on going down with the stitch.

That's why we need to hook in public more often! :hook

Should arrange a Hook-in :hook! Ya know, pick a day and everyone go out and do some crochet in public to "raise awareness" type of thing. "Yes! I'm crocheting! It DOES still happen you know!" :) Can then report back here to share our experiences. Is there a National Crochet day in the States? I have no idea but that would make a perfect day. :D

I don't know anyone other than myself that crochets. I know a few who knit and have tried crochet but they say its harder than knitting. Not in my opinion but then we are all different. I love my hooks. :hook I was telling my Gran, when I saw her on my holiday in the UK, that I'm really into crochet and am making everyones present this year and she was saying "Oo... I used to do that but that was a very long time ago" "I know Nan, you taught me." "Oh, so I did". She was surprised I did it and commented that it isn't really a thing than younger people would be interesting in doing. Surprise Nan!!! :lol

It could be different in various parts of the U.S. Everyone in my family

knits,crochets,quilts,makes rag rugs,do tapestry and weaving and many other forms of hand craft. When the family gets together we four or five generations doing things together. I learned most of this before I ever started school. My grandmother felt girls should learn all these things before starting formal education. Its not just my family. Most of the women

I know do at least a few of these crafts on a daily basis. If we need something we make it. Its that simple.:)

Lots of people crochet maybe not so many work with thread. People making doilies is rarer than people who hats & afghans. I know lots of people who crochet & have never made a doily. Maybe that is what she meant.

I'm the only person I really know who crochets besides my sister who lives in Toledo, Ohio & I'm in California. I live in a mountain community near Santa Cruz which is a beach community.

We have a small "mountain arts" center that I just joined. I've seen several peoples' knitted items, but never crochet. And everything is so politically correct here. Everything "should" be natural fibers only, etc. I love wool, cotton & all the other natural fibers & do occasionally use them. But as most of you know they just aren't practical for everyday use for something you have to wash & wear often.

My neighbors, who are mostly men in their 30s & 40s, sometimes laugh at me when they see me crocheting. I'm in my 60s & they just think it's an old lady thing to do. But when they need a hat or something they do come to me & hint until I make it. My friend, Michael, loves goofy hats. I've already made him a Santa hat & this year I'm making matching owl hats for him & his toddler DGS. I know he'll love them.

I do know that there are more crocheters & many more knitters who live in the county because I see them sometimes in Beverly's Fabric which carries loads of yarn & patterns now. There is also a quilting store that carries middle- end yarn, we have a Chicks With Sticks & there are 2 other high-end yarn stores. I just don't know the people. I'm always saying that I'll go to the weekly "bring your project" group at the quilting store or take knitting lessons, but so far I haven't. I would love a crocheter friend IRL...

I'm 23 and I had the same thing said to me. She said it's nice to see young people still interested. Made me feel good. I thought it wasn't cool when I saw a few girls in the club in high school but Im so glad I learned and I enjoy making things for people. Handmade with love is so much better!

I'm so glad i found this post. I was checking out at Walmart with yarn in hand and the cashier said do you know what your going to do with that? Im like crochet stockings. She then proceeds to tell me I look to young to know what that is. I then told her i know quite a few young army wives that would beg the differ. She then looked at me like I had 6 eyes. Lol

Archived