Experiments with variegated thread...

Krakovianka

Thanks to some amazingly generous 'villers, I was gifted some very pretty variegated crochet thread during the holiday season. In spite of the fact that quite a few of my pattern magazines feature doilies made with variegated crochet thread, I have mixed feelings about it. The colors demand their own attention, and create their own designs, but the colors often seem to "fight" with the thread design/pattern. It is possible to completely lose the design of the doily in the colored thread (if you could compare the yellow/orange below to the pattern for it, you'd see clearly what I mean--the colors show up nicely, but the stitch design is completely hidden). That's why I have mixed feelings...

But MIXED--that, I decided, might be the key to using the pretty variegated threads--featuring them on part of a doily, but mixing with a solid to allow the stitch design a fair shake. The blue doily below, with variegated border, was my first try, and I was really, really pleased with the result. The stitch design of the border was nothing special--very simple--and the variegated thread made it much prettier. Then I tried something similar with the little pink one. The border was meant to be flowers, and I thought the variegated would make it look like multi-colored flowers. I'm not really sure about that one--the flower design seems to fight with the colors, and I think the effect is more butterflies than flowers.

Then, I wanted to try using the variegated in the center of the doily, so I chose a pattern that featured a flower in the middle, and used a little more on the border. I think I made a mistake on the color for that one. I used the same variegated as I used with the blue thread, but chose green for the solid color. Although there is a little green in the variegated, it doesn't seem to blend as well as with the blue.

So, there you go. I realized my idea is not in the least original, but these were my own experiments. I still have a lot of variegated thread left, and I'm looking forward to finding just the right projects to show them off. I have one with white and shades of purple that I tried to use. After a few rounds, I felt that my doily looked like someone had gotten purple ink on a white doily. I abandoned that one in a hurry, and will have to try some other pattern.

post-13065-135897615449_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897615453_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897615456_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897615459_thumb.jpg

Karen, your doilies are AMAZING! I salute anyone who uses thread! That said, I see your point on the one looking like butterflies. But that's ok, because they are beautiful butterflies! ;)

Me too - Easter was the first thing I thought of.

I know what you mean about the colors fighting with the pattern. I love the way that you combined the solid colors in with it. They really are striking.

They definitely take on a "new look" with varigated thread. I especially like the one in the upper right! It's outstanding!

They are all beautiful. Something must be wrong with me, I do see flowers on the pink one. lol! It's gorgeous!

Archived