2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen and Donna - I am glad to see I am not the only one who thought that the Great Gatsby is overrated. It really took some willpower to finish reading that one. I was so board about 1/2 way in that I had to challenge myself with no new projects until I finished it. Since I have ADD and can't work on just one project at a time that was all the motivation I needed to finish it.

The only book on your list I haven't read yet is In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust

I guess I will have to add it to my list.

Have a great day everybody!

Wow, Christine !

Good for you, for making that run in the cold ! I dont know anything about good times'etc,because I've never done that before,but it sounds like you did well to me .

You must be in really good shape to do those long races like that . I get winded if I walk to the street corner .

THANKS! it was my first ever race (never in a million years did I see myself doing that!)

I taught myself to run this past year. I did have to take a few months off because of an injured back, so I really haven't run the full 5k yet - its a walk/run combo. lol

next year I'm moving up to a triathlon:eek

today I plan on reading. I'm going to read the pile of Christmas books on the table. Along with putting Christmas away for the year.

I wonder if you could do the snowflakes in ww yarn with a small hook and make one I can frame and use as a Christmas wall hanging. What do you think? I have some books to start on too. I really read a ton and read fast too so I shoul dbe able to do that with no issue. I am working on a pinwheel sweater for myself too though and I don't want it to fall by the wayside lol.

Hello everyone, just dropping in for a a few minutes, while lunch cooks. DS is leaving to go back hime this afternoon, and I thought I'd send him off with a good meal.

Shana, I think you could do snowflakes in any yarn you like, they will just turn out larger.

I wonder if you could do the snowflakes in ww yarn with a small hook and make one I can frame and use as a Christmas wall hanging. What do you think? I have some books to start on too. I really read a ton and read fast too so I shoul dbe able to do that with no issue. I am working on a pinwheel sweater for myself too though and I don't want it to fall by the wayside lol.

I made one in ww cotton and starched it to hang in a window. Too big for my tree. Its posted way back in here somewhere.

Well, so much for my good intentions of staying out of craft stores this year! I was at Joann's by noon on January 2. That's pitiful!

The only saving grace was that I didn't by yarn or patterns. Since the Snuggles sight suggests two strands for thickness, I needed some larger hooks, so picked up a L, M, and N. This is good. I can mix some not-at-all-favorite variegated clearance yarn with a solid and it will look better. The cats and dogs may not care, but I have to look at it while I work it.

Still working on the puzzle, but I'll probably crochet some today too. After all, I need to give those new hooks a test drive to be sure they work, right? I'm listening To the Brothers Karamazov. I put it aside to do My Family and Other Animals, but went back to it yesterday. I'm enjoying it, but it is so very, very long.....

Hi all,

Went to my Nook class and learned a few things-and also met up with Cheeria there. There was another woman in the class about our age who also had some hints about borrowing books from the library- like how I have to actually go to the library to get a PIN#. Turns out she is a knitter.

Judy - most of the things I learned I could have probably learned on my own, but it was nice to have someone just show me.

Watching football and going to hook for a bit.

Hi, Joanne... thanks for the tip on the library. I need to go there and get my pin #

You can use ww on the snowflake pattern....like Cindy said: it'll just be Bigger.

Well, so much for my good intentions of staying out of craft stores this year! I was at Joann's by noon on January 2. That's pitiful!

The only saving grace was that I didn't by yarn or patterns. Since the Snuggles sight suggests two strands for thickness, I needed some larger hooks, so picked up a L, M, and N. This is good. I can mix some not-at-all-favorite variegated clearance yarn with a solid and it will look better. The cats and dogs may not care, but I have to look at it while I work it.

I give my oddly colored blankets to my vet for her rescues....

THANKS! it was my first ever race (never in a million years did I see myself doing that!)

I taught myself to run this past year. I did have to take a few months off because of an injured back, so I really haven't run the full 5k yet - its a walk/run combo. lol

next year I'm moving up to a triathlon:eek

:eek WOW!!! I'm impressed!

I see absolutely no reason why that wouldn't work.

I started and finished my first book for January. The Inheritance by Joan Johnston. It's set mostly in England with a tiny bit at the beginning and end in Texas. It's a historical romance novel but well written with a goodly number of twists and turns to keep things interesting. I give it 4 stars. 404 pages long but a fast read since things move quickly.

I am finishing up The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

Its only taken me about 4 days of on/off reading to get through it. Its not a typical book in the sense that its not a novel, but as the title says , it a survival guide. Its an easy read, informative, and best of off it explains the basic do's and dont's in the event of the always emminate, but never predictable Zombie outbreak.

I give it a :sstar :sstar :sstar and 1/2

No too bad, definately not the worst

Now I am going to start World War Z by Max Brooks

Working on fingerless mitts for me today- while I watch football.

Wrennie and Judy- Here we go!!! And Manningham just slipped and fell! This is not going to be pretty in these wet conditions!!!

Oh no, now Seubert is injured!!! Not good!!!!

See you after the game!

well, I found the livingroom today. and even got Christmas put away completely (it usually sits outside the storeroom for a week or so).

now I can have time to sit and crochet a bit, watch a movie with my girlies.

I'm not exactly sure HOW I ran on ice either...I didn't have the snazzy 'yaktrax' little straps that hook onto your shoes for grip. pretty sure thats why the hips are hurting.

If I had run a 5K I wouldn't be reading or crocheting at all because I would be on life support in the intensive care unit. And on ice! Yikes. You are bold and brave woman!

I swear I saw that suggestion about using two strands for Snuggles, but when I was on the site again while ago, I didn't see it anywhere. I think it was a hallucination generated by my devious brain to give me permission to buy more hooks. Oh well, whatever works!

I'm taking a break from the puzzle for a bite to eat, so I decided to check in again. It sounds like the Giants got off to a distressing start. I hope things are looking up for them. And for all the teams you're rooting for.

Happy New Year everyone :D

I had an enjoyable and relaxing weekend :clap I worked on a baby sweater for my sil who's due this month and only have the edging left. I also finished my Mistletoe Magic book of 3 short stories :woo They were all cute and I left the book at my friends for her to read. She was looking for something easy and mindless since she just finished classes and is in the process of moving, her and her dh bought a new house.

I started "Weekend in Paris" today while on the elliptical and now am going to finish up the sweater while watching my Eagles :D

If I had run a 5K I wouldn't be reading or crocheting at all because I would be on life support in the intensive care unit. And on ice! Yikes. You are bold and brave woman!

****....I wondered all through the race why exactly I was doing it. Then crossed the finish line.

I'm slightly off my rocker somedays....

I just registered for a triathlon in Banff next September (brrrr mountain lake for swimming)

I'll still watch the playoffs- and my DD and SIL always have a super bowl party- which is lots of fun. But it won't be the same, not having the Giants playing!

off to go read for a bit---have a good evening everyone!

Joanne, we'll watch the Super Bowl, but you're right that it won't be the same.

...was passing through here again so I could edit my crochet post. I was a tad wordy:P

No football watchers in this house. I grew up with sisters and my husband isn't into sports. My sister works at Giants Stadium- does that count? Speaking of my husband. He spent the day in bed with his back out. So I didn't manage to get any crocheting in with the kids home and all. But I am headed to bed early with a book! Looking forward to that!

I managed to read an entire book this afternoon, "The Jacob Street Mystery" by R. Austin Freeman and also did a few rounds on a hat for one of my grandsons. The book is an old one, about a physician who does forensic work. It was around 375 pages long, but moved quickly.

Archived