2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only football we watch is the superbowl and that is only for the commercials lol. I wonder sometimes if my son is missing out but he likes to watch the rodeos and bullriding haha. He also watches all the car types shows with hubby on saturday mornings and loves them so I guess he is getting enough testosterone filled stuff.

Wrennie and Judy- Here we go!!! And Manningham just slipped and fell! This is not going to be pretty in these wet conditions!!!

Oh no, now Seubert is injured!!! Not good!!!!

See you after the game!

Yikes! A dislocated knee! You knew he was in huge pain when he grabbed the guy who came out to help him and almost had him on the ground.

If I had run a 5K I wouldn't be reading or crocheting at all because I would be on life support in the intensive care unit. And on ice! Yikes. You are bold and brave woman!

I swear I saw that suggestion about using two strands for Snuggles, but when I was on the site again while ago, I didn't see it anywhere. I think it was a hallucination generated by my devious brain to give me permission to buy more hooks. Oh well, whatever works!

I'm taking a break from the puzzle for a bite to eat, so I decided to check in again. It sounds like the Giants got off to a distressing start. I hope things are looking up for them. And for all the teams you're rooting for.

The Giants won, but so did Green Bay which nudged us out of the playoffs.

I'd be in intensive care too :rofl

Maybe you saw the 2 strand suggestion in a pattern. I make them with 1 or 2, more mat like with 2 strands ww. Up to 5 strands baby weight which is more mat than blankey.

The only football we watch is the superbowl and that is only for the commercials lol. I wonder sometimes if my son is missing out but he likes to watch the rodeos and bullriding haha. He also watches all the car types shows with hubby on saturday mornings and loves them so I guess he is getting enough testosterone filled stuff.

I like rodeo/ bull riding too!

Hi, ladies!

I managed to read an entire book this afternoon, "The Jacob Street Mystery" by R. Austin Freeman and also did a few rounds on a hat for one of my grandsons. The book is an old one, about a physician who does forensic work. It was around 375 pages long, but moved quickly.

Sounds like an NCIS-type of story...I like that stuff, too.

Yikes! A dislocated knee! You knew he was in huge pain when he grabbed the guy who came out to help him and almost had him on the ground.

I saw how he reacted, too - he almost had the doctor/trainer needing medical assistance. And you knew it was bad then...esp when they brought out the cart...:(

Maybe you saw the 2 strand suggestion in a pattern. I make them with 1 or 2, more mat like with 2 strands ww. Up to 5 strands baby weight which is more mat than blankey.

Hmmm...sounds like a great way to use up the baby yarn I have...pets or baby ghans...they sure would be colorful.

Hi ladies

Thought it might be fun to do this once in awhile :

Please post the FIRST SENTENCE of the book you are currently reading -- you dont have to give a title, just the sentence .

Maybe someone will be able to guess what you are reading by the first line .

Here's mine :

We're off .

Hi, ladies. It's cold, but sunny here today.

First Sentence of Current Book (and a few more): "It was a slow Sunday afternoon, the kind Walden loved....A short man in a black coat and a black felt hat stepped down from the car. Walden recognized the man and his heart sank: the peaceful summer afternoon was over.

"It's Winston Churchill," he said.

Lydia said: "How embarrassing."

The man just refused to be snubbed......"

The book is The Man from St. Petersburg by Ken Follett. With these sentences from the first two pages I was hooked. It's barely started, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Morning Linda --

I have read a couple of Follet's books from a long time ago -- can't even recall what they were now, but I know that wasnt one. He is a really good storyteller !

Morning Cindy ,

I had a feeling no one would guess mine. Just too short and not enough info . It is a travel book called Cross Country by Robert Sullivan. Just started it this morning,so I have no clue how I will like it,but i usually love reading travel books. You can see the whole world without leaving your chair .

Morning Linda --

Morning Cindy ,

I had a feeling no one would guess mine. Just too short and not enough info . It is a travel book called Cross Country by Robert Sullivan. Just started it this morning,so I have no clue how I will like it,but i usually love reading travel books. You can see the whole world without leaving your chair .

I like travel books too, as long as they are told from a personal viewpoint and not like a travellers guide.

I'm reading two now, Tooth and Claw and The Brothers Karamazov (audio):

Bon Agornin writhed on his deathbed, his wings beating as if he would fly to his new life in his old body.

Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a land owner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place.

I'm really enjoying the reader of the Brothers Karamozov, Frederick Davidson. From his reviews on Audible.com, it seems you either love or despise his reading. It's a good thing I do - I also have him reading War and Peace (61 hours) and Les Miserables (57 hours). The Brothers Karamazov is a mere 35. What a lightweight -LOL!

Still more puzzle than crochet today.

I have a collected works of Edgar Allen Poe I've been wanting to start!

And Linda, I started a snowflake this afternoon...and I can SEE the thread!:yay:lol Two rounds into the small one...

Cindy

Yep, I like the travel books when people tell about the trip themselves, not just a travel guide of places to see .

I think Bill Bryson got me hooked way back when I read The Lost Continent -- you actually laugh the whole way through the book. He is one funny guy !

Wow, Donna

Those russian names are a mouthful arent they ? Someday I need to tackle some of those .

HiYa Jude !

Glad you are getting the snowflake to work for you. I just can't do those tiny metal hooks with the thin thread,so I go for the size 3 thread and a C hook, I think I used .

Cindy

Yep, I like the travel books when people tell about the trip themselves, not just a travel guide of places to see .

I think Bill Bryson got me hooked way back when I read The Lost Continent -- you actually laugh the whole way through the book. He is one funny guy !

Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" got me.

No football watchers in this house. I grew up with sisters and my husband isn't into sports. My sister works at Giants Stadium- does that count? Speaking of my husband. He spent the day in bed with his back out. So I didn't manage to get any crocheting in with the kids home and all. But I am headed to bed early with a book! Looking forward to that!

Oh, I hope your DH will be ok- Backs are not fun when they are not functioning! That is so cool that your sister works at Giants Stadium!

I managed to read an entire book this afternoon, "The Jacob Street Mystery" by R. Austin Freeman and also did a few rounds on a hat for one of my grandsons. The book is an old one, about a physician who does forensic work. It was around 375 pages long, but moved quickly.

That sounds like a book that I would like - Wow- you read fast! You read almost 400 pages and crocheted too!!!

My friend at work gave me her hard copy of Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen- and you know how I like her books- so guess I'll be reading that one in addition to the one I'm reading on my Nook.

I couldn't tell you what the first sentence was in the book I'm reading now- and my Nook is upstairs!!:lol

HiYa Jude !

Glad you are getting the snowflake to work for you. I just can't do those tiny metal hooks with the thin thread,so I go for the size 3 thread and a C hook, I think I used .

Hi!

Well, I haven't had a chance to get past the 2nd round since gripping the piece hurts the split I got on the side of my thumb...but at least I know I can do it.:hook I wanted to try the thread first...:)

I hope everyone had a great day today.

At lunch time I made snowflake A and half of B :clap My friend is going to bring some spray starch for me to use, since I don't keep it around at all :lol

The first sentence of my book is: "Eighty feet below Trafalgar Square the train rattled southward, steepening its angle as it prepared to plunge beneath the Thames." I got to read a few chapters this evening while waiting for my friend's basketball practice to finish. He's the assistant coach and his car wouldn't start :( Hopefully getting that taken care of tomorrow, but I had some time to kill and had my book with me :D

Archived