2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

I've completed the first of the 3 stories and it was really cute :yes An easy and enjoyable read.

I think I'm going to head up to bed now and start the second :lol at least until my eyelids fall to gravity. No crocheting for me this evening, which is a nice little break with the extra I've been doing for xmas :yes

Good night

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning ladies

I thought maybe that video would give you guys a little surprise . I watch youtube a lot,and this lady does lots of book reviews and shows you new books she buys,etc .

I was really surprised when I saw what came slithering up the page. I didnt notice what was in her other hand .

I have never touched a snake .Can't say I'm deathly afraid of them,but I would probably rather not touch one .

Anyhow, thanks to all who stopped in yesterday,and for those reading your books ! I'm hoping next week when things finally get back to normal that a lot of folks come back in and get started on their books and projects .

I may try to make the little bookbag .... I'll have to make a store run to get some cotton to work with ,so probably wont try that til tomorrow. I "think" we are getting freezing rain here this morning,so I wont be going out in it !

You all have a good day,and keep reading ! I'm ALMOST done with another book -- a true crime . Not sure if it will fit a category,but if not, I will include it at the bottom .

I finished listening to I Shall Wear Midnight while ago, and got a start on the next audio, a January book, The Brothers Karamazov. I read it back in college at the dawn of time. I find the big Russian novels hard to get started - so many characters, so many names. They may be hard to track just listening, but I'm going to give it a try. I may need to read the first few chapters in print to be sure I have them straight before I go much farther with it.

Yes, I did play in the yarn today. I got a number of projects sorted out in their own tubs. Some started, some just with the yarn. I'm getting all the thinking over with in one go, and then I can just coast!

I hope you're all surviving the snow. At least if you can't dig out, you have an excuse to stay home and read and crochet.

Marisa, I think those stories are called novellas....

And Joanne, I'm working on the straps/handles for both the cotton and wool versions now. I measured both bags, so need to decide the strap length before taking pics and felting.

It should be interesting:lol

'nite all.:hug

:yay:yay Can't wait to see what you've come up with for the felted one!!! I haven't picked up a hook in a couple of days- But I've been picking up my Nook!!

Good Morning everyone!

I read a few more chapters last night of Code Blue- not sure what category if any it falls into- but I'll put it at the bottom if it doesn't fit any category. And when finished, it will be another coin for charity in the jar!

I can't wait to see what Judy has come with for felting the made by Joanne book bag.

Making one in cotton is also a great idea. I have lots of Peaches N'Creme from when Walmart had it on clearance since they were only going to carry Sugar n' cream.

Well, time for me to get ready for Paradise- Have a happy reading/crocheting/working/doing whatever you have planned day!

Morning Donna

You are doing great with your reading list. I just now completed another myself -- a new True Crime by Ann Rule . It was good and interesting. Won't say anything about the ending in case someone else might read it at some point .

Joanne

Safe travels to work,and I'm with you, I seem to be doing much more reading than crocheting lately. Maybe I'll attempt the book bag this weekend .

Wrennie

Glad you found a book to fit in one of the categories ! People who dont enjoy reading are sometimes clueless about books.

I know my dad asked me once What Do You GET Out of These Things ?

ODD ...... non-readers (not people who CANT read,but people who dont LIKE reading )just don't have a clue,do they ?

lol...my husband is NOT a reader either. he just doesn't understand. and there's nothing better than a hot steamy fluffy historical romance. lol

Good Morning!

all three kids are feeling fine this morning (YAY), so I'm packing them and their respective buckets into the truck to hopefully get everything done that I needed to on Tuesday when the middle one threw up all over her sisters in the truck. ugh...

I did get about 25rounds into a new blanket I'm working on (check my blog for the "mom I want one too" post for a pic).

I'm thinking about making the book bag - out of that pretty grey wool I found last week, might felt it, but not sure yet. I have a vision of the pretty grey with a nice teal, or burgundy.

so.....

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

I've been on a bit of a reading marathon the last few days, and when I do that...well, I read fast.

I finished The Girl from Montana by Grace Livingston Hill, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, and The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card (a reread). I have to go look at our categories and see where I can slot these in...lol.

It's almost January...I need to make those snowflakes. But the bookbag is striking me as possibly more fun...

Christine

Man, I remember those days of stomach flu . Not much worse when your kids are small and get that . We had one day when all of us had it on the same day,MANY years ago,but still an unforgettable day . YEK .

Your color choices sound pretty for your book bag. I love grey .

Karen

Wow, you certainly ARE a speedy reader when you get on a kick,arent you ?

Isn't Outlander one of those HUGE books ??? I havent read those --arent they in a set .or am I thinking of another one ?

It could go in the big book category, the part of a set ... set in another country ( I think ???)

Havent read it ,but I remember hearing a little about it one time,and thinking it is Scotland ??? Ireland ? Not sure. I could be thinking of another book .

Christine

Isn't Outlander one of those HUGE books ??? I havent read those --arent they in a set .or am I thinking of another one ?

It could go in the big book category, the part of a set ... set in another country ( I think ???)

Havent read it ,but I remember hearing a little about it one time,and thinking it is Scotland ??? Ireland ? Not sure. I could be thinking of another book .

Big, in a series & in Scotland

I downloaded Outlander to my Kindle when it was free sometime last summer, so I don't know how big it looks in print. I didn't quite realize just how much of a series this was...and the rest of the series is not available on Kindle. What's up with that? (At least, it's not available to me here in Europe...not sure about the US.) I won't be reading further in the series any time in the near future.

I was looking over my books for "set in another country" thinking, hmmm, not much there. Then I realized that probably a majority were -- I just don't think of England as another country, at least not literarily. It would absolutely be another country if I lived there! But I have a few that will let me wander farther afield.

Late last night my brain kicked in and I realized that there was no need to read a bit of The Brother Karamazov in print to get the names straight. Wikipedia knows everything! the trouble with the Russian novels isn't just the name, like Dmitri. It's that everyone calls Dmitri something different. He is also called Mitya, Mitka, Mitenka, Mitri. Aleksey is also Alyosha, Alyoshka, Alyoshenka, Alyoshechka, Alexeichik, Lyosha, and Lyoshenka.

I better do Really Simple Patterns while I listen to this!

After living so long in Poland, I have a real advantage when it comes to those Russian names. Polish and Russian are both Slavic languages, and Polish names are treated/changed in a similar fashion, so it doesn't disturb me at all.

I've got the whole Outlander Series....I only really liked the first couple, not sure but I might have overdosed on the characters by reading them ALL in one go.

I really liked the book about Sir John though, he was neat.

I downloaded Outlander to my Kindle when it was free sometime last summer, so I don't know how big it looks in print. I didn't quite realize just how much of a series this was...and the rest of the series is not available on Kindle. What's up with that? (At least, it's not available to me here in Europe...not sure about the US.) I won't be reading further in the series any time in the near future.

I have it downloaded on my Nook too- another freebie! Maybe that will be next up when I finish Code Blue! Gotta love free books. I don't know if the rest of the series is available on Nook or not!

The cotton bag, the wool bag...before and after felting. Explanations on the crochet link, post one

Love them!! Going to check out the info in the link. And funny, I have a couple of skeins of that same Paton's wool!!!!:lol

Judy- How many rounds is this? You know me- I need it really spelled out! :hook

Unfelted, began as size 16 by 12 with a strap of 23 inches. I used a size 9.00mm hook. The strap didn't shrink but the bag went down to 8 1/2 by 10 1/2, almost identical to the cotton version. The holes in the granny are still there, but very small.

ETA on 12/31/2010- I can just measure the granny to get it 16 X 12. I guess my brain was tired last night when I asked that question!!! LOL

Jusy, I like those. I'm still waiting on the thread for the snowflakes to come, slipped in with another order, so maybe I'll try one of those soon. I doubt I'll get much done at all until after New Year's though. So far, I doing well on the reading, but a real washout on the crocheting!

All in good time.

The cotton bag, the wool bag...before and after felting. Explanations on the crochet link, post one

Very nice, Judy. I really like the look of the felted version.

I've got all but the last one of the Outlander series and I've listened to the last one as an audio book. I've liked all of them. I started reading them as they first came out so had to wait for the next one in between each one, thus no overdosing for me. :lol I think I overdosed on the Evanovich books by reading too many back to back and never did finish all of them. I do like Grandma, though. She's a hoot and reminds me of some of my great-aunts, now all deceased.

Archived