2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:ctreeMERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!:sheepxmas:santa:rud

Sorry that I've been AWOL but these last few days have been crazy! Had my dd(20),sil and their 4 month old little boy, my ds(21), dil and their 3 yr old little girl, my other dd(15) and her bf, my other ds(12) along with my bf and his 6 yr old son all here for Christmas Eve breakfast. They stayed till mid-afternoon and then all left to go to either work or other family. Then bf and I went to his sister's for dinner.

Today was pretty quiet. Just BF and I until he got his ds at 1. I went to see my mom for a bit this morning and then went to bf's mom and stepdad's for dinner. It was really nice and mellow. Spent most of the day playing with my Kindle and finding books to download and then starting reading one!:lol

The weather here was yucky. Lots of rain and pretty cold.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and maybe things can get back to normal now!

I just finished the third of the Imogen Rose's Portal Chronicles, Quantum. Now she needs to get busy and write the next in the series. If it's too long, I forget what 's going on, since the plot is far from straightforward. I should have waited until they were all out. It's been a pretty good read.

I was rating books with smiley stars, and got the message that I had exceded my image quotient. So I'll just rate them as I post them here. I would give the whole series a 3-4 rating.

I hope you all had a wonderful, happy Christmas. We had a really nice Christmas, but what I "got" for Christmas was...sick! My head cold has hit my chest, I have a fever, and I wish someone had gotten the number of the truck that apparently hit me. I'm curled up in bed today, eyes too weak and weepy from the fever to even feel like reading. Now that's bad. I don't feel like crocheting, either. All signs that I really am *sick*. Back to bed now...I'll visit again when I'm feeling more human.

Trish

It sounds as if you had a busy Christmas there for the first half anyhow ! Glad it went well ,and so far ,it sounds like we have a new Nook and a new Kindle in the group !

Enjoy it ~~

Karen

Wow, you poor thing -- what a gift! I remember once a long time ago i was sick like that on Christmas -- no fun at all . Hope you are soon on the mend --stay in bed and rest .

Good morning-

Karen- Feel better quick!! That is not a good gift at all!!!

Trish- Sounds like you had a busy but fun Christmas!!!

We are supposed to get a blizzard today, so what better thing to do than read a bit, crochet a bit and watch some Sunday afternoon football? I think I may just try my hand at one of the thread snowflakes!

Good morning-

Karen- Feel better quick!! That is not a good gift at all!!!

Trish- Sounds like you had a busy but fun Christmas!!!

We are supposed to get a blizzard today, so what better thing to do than read a bit, crochet a bit and watch some Sunday afternoon football? I think I may just try my hand at one of the thread snowflakes!

:woo Girl, we gotta hang out! I crochet with football too, unless its our Giants. Can't concentrate on crochet while they're playing.

When me & BF first got together, it was July, well pre-season is Aug. We were sitting watching pre-sea. and he started playin with my hair tryin to get all romantic. DURING a Game!:eek I looked at him and said (ok yelled) 'The game is on!!'

He was shocked. Didn't know a girl could be that into a game :rofl

His past GF's, wives etc, all complained when he watched sports, I sit n yell at the TV. Culture shock for him for sure!

Speedy recovery Karen!

Trish, I'm all worn out just from reading about your day!!

Hi, ladies!

:ctreeMERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!:sheepxmas:santa:rud

Sorry that I've been AWOL but these last few days have been crazy! Had my dd(20),sil and their 4 month old little boy, my ds(21), dil and their 3 yr old little girl, my other dd(15) and her bf, my other ds(12) along with my bf and his 6 yr old son all here for Christmas Eve breakfast. They stayed till mid-afternoon and then all left to go to either work or other family. Then bf and I went to his sister's for dinner.

Today was pretty quiet. Just BF and I until he got his ds at 1. I went to see my mom for a bit this morning and then went to bf's mom and stepdad's for dinner. It was really nice and mellow. Spent most of the day playing with my Kindle and finding books to download and then starting reading one!:lol

The weather here was yucky. Lots of rain and pretty cold.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and maybe things can get back to normal now!

Normal?....I love normal:yes

I hope you all had a wonderful, happy Christmas. We had a really nice Christmas, but what I "got" for Christmas was...sick! My head cold has hit my chest, I have a fever, and I wish someone had gotten the number of the truck that apparently hit me. I'm curled up in bed today, eyes too weak and weepy from the fever to even feel like reading. Now that's bad. I don't feel like crocheting, either. All signs that I really am *sick*. Back to bed now...I'll visit again when I'm feeling more human.

I hope it's not the flu! Snuggle down and let yourself be cared for:hug:hug:manyheart

I couldn't do snowflakes while the Giants are on - maybe some saltines....

Too tense....:lol

:woohoo Girl, we gotta hang out! I crochet with football too, unless its our Giants. Can't concentrate on crochet while they're playing.

When me & BF first got together, it eas July, well pre-season is Aug. We were sitting watching pre-sea. and he started playin with my hair tryin to get all romantic. DURING a Game!:eek I looked at him and said (ok yelled) 'The game is on!!'

His past GF's, wives etc, all complained when he watched sports, I sit n yell at the TV. Culture shock for him for sure!

You should have heard me at the end of last weeks Giant game!!!!

When hubby and I met many moons ago we were both Yankee fans but he thought I was giving him a line - so he quizzed me...and I knew stuff HE didn't:lol

Over the years I watched hocky and football with him, so learned enough to watch it intelligently. Now I go bonkers when the Giants mess up!

It helped having 2 brothers...and our son ended up playing HS football, too. I was prepared:lol

Looks like we have some more sports fans in here ,for Jude and Joanne ! You guys will have more people to talk to about your sport watching !

To all who have signed up in here ,now that the holidays are winding down ,we can all get into some big time reading and crocheting,so get your books piled up and your hooks ready to go !

Hi, ladies!

You should have heard me at the end of last weeks Giant game!!!!

When hubby and I met many moons ago we were both Yankee fans but he thought I was giving him a line - so he quizzed me...and I knew stuff HE didn't:lol

Over the years I watched hocky and football with him, so learned enough to watch it intelligently. Now I go bonkers when the Giants mess up!

It helped having 2 brothers...and our son ended up playing HS football, too. I was prepared:lol

Oh the end of last week was painful. BF went to work and his friend who is almost as big a fan as me, said how many Giants fans all at once said "What the heck??".

Dad was a Giants fan, bro playesd hs football and is a Giants fan. I was surrounded by Giant-dom growing up.:cheer

My sil and my friend Sue are both huge Yankees fans. I don't get into baseball so much. Sue even has a Yankees tattoo. Getting ready for sil's wedding she had the game on.

BF loves his College football too. I've started to get a bit into that too (shh, don't tell him :rofl ) And he likes Basketball. My biggest problem with basket ball is the squeek, squeek, of the sneakers on the court. Gah!

Yesterday I read about 1/3 of my book waiting for BF to get up and see what Santa brought. Then I go 2 Snuggles made. Woo-hoo busted a whole ball from my stash.

ATTENTION

Michaels Arts & Crafts is having a YARN sale this week. Homespun is $2.49 Loops & threads impeccable $1.99

I can email fwd the e-flyer to anyone, just send me your email. Theres a 50% off coupon in it too.

:lol:lol:lol I saw the Michael's ad and thought to myself that is one awesome sale -but I've really got to destash the enormous of yarn that I already have.

The snow that has now started and is supposed to bring a foot to a foot and a half of snow will also keep me home safe and snug instead of driving out to buy more yarn- but believe me, I was tempted this morning!!!!

Glad to have another Giants fan in the group! Judy and I are both avid Yankee fans and I have been a Yankee and a Giants fan for what seems like forever. I also like basketball and hockey. When I first started dating my DH, he wanted to take me out somewhere, and I told him I'm going to be watching football, if you'd like to join me then you are more than welcome. I think it surprised him to find out that I really DO like sports!!!

Judy- I won't be attempting the thread snowflake during the Giants game- it's always something mindless- so I think I'm going to make fingerless mitts for ME- easy, peasy!

Marisa is a big sports fan too- but she is on the "dark" side- she is an Eagles fan :lol:lol:lol

Have a great day! (and if the Giants win, it will be, if they don't...well, let's just say, it won't be pretty at my house)

Good morning (actually I guess its afternoon). Nothing much going on here. Dh is sick again.

Trish, it sounds like you have had a very busy couple of days.

Karen, take care of your self, you sound miserable.

Joanne, what size thread are you trying the snowflakes with? I'm not sure what I used, it was a very old cone of Knit-cro-sheen, and it didn't have a size on it. It was smaller than size 3, and I had a heck of a time with cramping in my fingers, crocheting with it. I don't think that thread is never going to be my thing. I can manage a snowflake, but anything larger would be beyond me, I think. (even though I would love to make a table cloth.)

Wrennie, I just read the paper and saw the Michaels ad. I would love to run over there and buy some yarn, but I really think I ought to use up some fo the yarn I have in the house already.

Hi, ladies....I may have another little twist on our crochet part of this thread....

Possibly by New Year's.:devil

And the plot thickens!!!:devil

Judy- I was on the B&N site and they have Nook classes every Sunday @11 starting Jan 2 and every Wed at 7PM in the Freehold store.

If anyone has a Nook or just got a Nook, check out the events tab on the B&N site. They don't have classes at all the stores, but they do have separate classes for both the Nook and for the Nook color

Oh, Karen. Hope you get to feeling better very soon. :hug :hug :hug

:woo Girl, we gotta hang out! I crochet with football too, unless its our Giants. Can't concentrate on crochet while they're playing.

When me & BF first got together, it was July, well pre-season is Aug. We were sitting watching pre-sea. and he started playin with my hair tryin to get all romantic. DURING a Game!:eek I looked at him and said (ok yelled) 'The game is on!!'

Speedy recovery Karen!

Trish, I'm all worn out just from reading about your day!!

Why is it that guys never seem to think that gals know anything about sports? :think I didn't play sports, other than softball, but I was in the marching band which played at all home football games in HS, and was in the pep band which at all home basketball games in HS, too. And since our girls' basketball team went to the state tournaments 3 of my 4 years in high school I learned a lot about it. (We were state champions one of the 3 years and 3rd twice, in spite of being a little school playing against much bigger schools.) Still like watching both football and basketball. And I've been know to holler and shout at the TV during games, too. :D

Finished another book yesterday, Fallen Idols by J. F. Freedman. I'd give it 5 stars. It's very well written and has more twists and turns than a lot of mysteries. Lots of skeletons in the closets and lies upon lies upon more lies trying to cover them up/expose them. I don't think it falls in any of this month's categories, but it was a great read.

I finished crocheting the last of the snowflakes with size 30 thread last night, but still have to hide the tails and starch them. Then I'll get a picture posted.

Good Morning:hi Having a nice quiet day so far. BF and his son have gone to his sister's this morning and will probably be there for most of the day. They took the electric guitar with them:lol:cheer I am baking a cheesecake and drinking my coffee:coffee No one else is home so I can relax for a while.

Everyone take care and be safe:hug

Oh my, Karen - too sick to read is serious! Get well soon.

I have to get out and get a prescription in the next couple of days, so I'll try to get by Hobby Lobby and get the thread and a hook. I'm sure I can find what I need there.

And the plot thickens!!!:devil

Judy- I was on the B&N site and they have Nook classes every Sunday @11 starting Jan 2 and every Wed at 7PM in the Freehold store.

If anyone has a Nook or just got a Nook, check out the events tab on the B&N site. They don't have classes at all the stores, but they do have separate classes for both the Nook and for the Nook color

Thanks for the info, Joanne....

I was just out in the back with Sparkie - he loves it when I chase him in the snow.... That should keep him happy - till later:lol

Linda

Your book sounds very good and like you thoroughly enjoyed it . The categories are open now, so if you can slide it anyplace in for the year, go right ahead !

Trish

Peace & Quiet !!! I bet you are glad the electirc guitar is gone at least for a little bit .

I was so excited we had a white Christmas here where I am in GA. It is the first white Christmas since 1969 where there was actual accumulation. We had anywhere from 1 inch to 7 inches depending on where we were. It was beautiful. The pic is from right after it started looking out my back door into the horse pasture.

The snow is beautiful but at the rate it's coming down here in NJ, it's not going to be a pretty sight in the morning, I'm afraid. All I can do is hope I don't have to go to work!!!

Have a good night everyone!

Greetings, everyone. Thanks for the good wishes. After sleeping away most of the day, I started to feel a bit better. I read a whole, even--something I had loaded onto my Kindle a while ago: The Girl from Montana by Grace Livingston Hill. Definitely a mindless comfort read, and not one of her better efforts, but it passed the time. I'm feeling even better today, but weak and lethargic, so...more couch time, but this time, but this time I can read or crochet. I'm going to take it very easy this week so I don't relapse. Unfortunately, my dh seems to be getting sick now.

I may tackle those snowflakes in the next day or two...

Archived