2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Hi, ladies!:hug

Karen, thank goodness for SKYPE...enjoy your family time and all the good food:hug:manyheart

I downloaded that one, too - never read it! I think I'll have to live to be 100 to read everythong I want to read!:lol

You and me both!:lol:lol

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good evening everyone. Hi Shana. Glad you are joining us.

Karen, I can't get into Tommy and Tuppence much either. I have read a few of them, but I like Miss Marple and Poirot better. I also like to lsiten to audio books when I crochet. I have tried listening to them when I clean, but I miss too much.

Welcome, Shana!

Karen, are we literary twins? I have a degree in English too, and I also managed to avoid most of the 20th century, but since my specialty was the novel, I couldn't get out of all of it. I expected to like Howard's End more - I thought Passage to India was ok, and I really liked A Room with a View, back when I read it years ago. I think this may be one that it would have been better to read than listen too. On the other hand, I can't read Dickens anymore, but enjoy listening to it.

I don't read as much sci fi now either, except for Terry Pratchett which is more fantasy, but my dissertation was on humor in the sf short story in the golden age. Now though I'm into the Portal Chronicles and enjoying those a lot. I've never read any of the Ender series. I should sample them one of these days. I just downloaded his Seventh Son, the first of a YA series, but I may put it on long hold for the "out West" category, if I can stretch it to out West in an alternative reality!

Hi Donna

Not sure what happened with you trying to load the page here yesterday. Once in awhile there is a little glitch in the ville,not sure why.Maybe they are working on it or it gets too busy or some such thing ? I'm not very good at technology,so really have no idea ,but once in awhile I make out a really long post, then it disapears on me .

As for the classics, I think it takes a different mindset to get into some of them,since they seem so much more challenging to read,compared to modern day books. I think it's the way they talked then,it makes me need ultimate quiet so I can think while I am reading them,to make sense .

Karen

It sure is a small world,isn't it ? We were probably in the Marietta area at about the same time you were . Our reunion is always the first weekend in June, and we have been going down the week before just as a mini-vacation,so we may have been there at the same time. We have a few family members who live right in Marietta,but the majority of the family lives in th Beverly/Waterford area ,if you have heard of that before. It is about a 15 minute drive to Marietta from there (north) .

Linda

You amaze me ,being able to work with that tiny thread and hooks .I cannot even imagine making something with it,but your items turn out so pretty . I bet the ladies would love to see pictures of some of your teeny-tiny thread projects if you have the time to post them .

Hi Shana,and welcome ~

Of course you can join ,and it sounds like you have just the 2 ingredients you need to fit in if you like to crochet and read. As Judy posted,all the info is on post one, and the clickable links to the book page and crochet info are there as well. I am on the book end, Jude is on the crochet end.

The first crochet project is listed already,so anytime you are ready, you can give it a try if you want. As said before, no pressure. If you want to do a specific project with the group,that's great,but if not, you can work on anything else you want until the next project is posted,then maybe it'll be something you want to do .

I'll get your name added to post one, then you can just click on it to post your books,etc .

Joanne

The audio books might work out well for you -- you could listen while driving to work,etc if that is a long enough drive from home so you could get a few pages or so in .

I only tried audiobooks once,and they make me fall asleep . It's like someone telling me a bedtime story !:lol

Diane

Welcome ! It's nice to have 2 new recruits in one day . Of course, we'd love to have you join in .As said to Shana, I'll get your name listed and clickable, then jump right in --all the info is on post one --

What type books do you like to read ?

Okey dokey everyone

I got Shana and Diane added to our list . I also wanted to make mention of 2changes. In choosing categories, I wanted to make them a wide range so that you don't have a very small selection of books to fit each category .After looking over my list, I thought the Michener book was narrowing the gap considerably ,plus he is quite a challenge to get through the first 200 pages or so -- I love his books, but the beginnings are very dry and hard to get into,so I changed that to any book over 350 pgs ..

Also -- I added a Bonus Book Category . For each month, I will list some authors born in that month,so you can use those as Bonus Reads if you want to .

I just finished another book this morning --

Unbroken --A WW II Story of Survival, Resilience & Redemption --

An A PLUS book ---- Cannot recommend it highly enough . Now.... on to dig through my books -- trying to complete my regular book-books before hitting my kindle books .

Good morning!

Welcome Diane!!!

I did get a few more chapter read of the book I feel like I've been reading all month! (I guess that is because I have been!:lol) Then I got really tired and put it down and went off to dreamland. I had started another scarf before reading so I think at this point, my goal is to finish this book by the end of the weekend!

My commute to work is about 20- 25 minutes so I probably could get in some "reading" time that way.

Off to start my day!

Merry Christmas Eve to all who celebrate it!!!

Morning Joanne !

You are doing great,with working full time, Christmas coming and gifts to complete, you will have done well completing your book too ! I don't know how you keep up as well as you do . I wouldnt be able to do it myself !

Tammy

:birthday

:cake

Have a good one !!!

Julie- I checked out your link- so we can add the books that fit into a category to the month of that category even if we read it in a different month? (boy that sounded confusing as I typed it):lol

Thanks Julie for the vote of confidence!

Hi Joanne

Yep,anytime you read a book that would fit into any of the categories,go ahead and add it wherever it will fit !

I know I don't like being on a real regimented schedule of HAVING to do something that is supposed to be fun,but HAVING to do it on a certain timetable .

I 'm trying to make the book area as easy as possible to get through,making wide categories so you have huge selections to choose from, and the addition of being able to read anything you want, then trying to slide it into one of the categories. We'll see how well it works out,but I think it should be pretty easy to do .

Julie- I like that way of doing it!!! So whenever I read a book, I'm going to see where I can slide it in!!! (more coins for charity that way too!!!)

I'm so looking forward to more reading time after this last minute holiday crunch!!!

Thanks Joanne

I think I need to go in and rephrase it in my beginning post .I always do that -- I know what I'm talking about,but nobody else does,because I am pretty scatterbrained ,so I sometimes don't explain myself well .

I need to try to improve that in the future .:yes

Good morning all and Merry Christmas Eve. We have a busy day ahead and I'm not quite ready to get started. We are having a get-together at our house tonight so both sides of the family can visit. That means lots of cleaning and cooking. We got a good bit done yesterday and will finish it up today. I finally finished my shopping and got everything wrapped.

Hope everyone is doing well and your holidays are full of love and laughter.

Thanks Joanne

I think I need to go in and rephrase it in my beginning post .I always do that -- I know what I'm talking about,but nobody else does,because I am pretty scatterbrained ,so I sometimes don't explain myself well .

I need to try to improve that in the future .:yes

I'm the same way:P

Welcome, Diane!

The first public library in America was opened in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1698 .

And did you know that

Established in 1848, the Boston Public Library was the first publicly supported municipal library in America, the first public library to lend a book, the first to have a branch library and the first to have a children's room?

The Boston Public Library really is an amazing place- If you ever are in Boston, you have to check it out! I spent an afternoon there once when I was visiting my DD and she was at work!

I may actually get to read a little bit today since I finished the flannelghan for my DD's BF!!! Just have to finish up a scarf for my youngest DD, then head out to treat myself to a SB Gingerbread Latte and read until it's time to go to DD's MIL's at 4!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Joanne

I bet the Boston library is HUGE !!! I used to do lots of "library visiting",and actually have been to 12 libraries in surrounding towns. I like to see how they all compare .

There was actually one in the town my parents met in that still used the card catalog system until about a year ago. I loved it in there. It was a privately funded library ,until last year when they apparently ran out of funds and had to become public and sign on with other ones in the system .

I loved going there because they put the cards in the card slot in back,and they had LOTS of really old books from when I was little and back into the 40's even .

They had LOTS of the re-covered books with the pages soft from so many people reading them . It was like a trip back in time .

That library sounds really cool Julie! I just love the old ones- they just have so much character! The NY Public Library is pretty amazing too!

Next time I trek to Philly, I want to check out that one. Anyone in the country can get a Philadelphia Library Card for $15.00 and you can borrow books to your Kindle or Nook

It's great to have more people joining in - I love seeing people's reading lists!

Julie - I love the way you've set up your page. Is it cheating to copy and paste? You've got style! :fame I haven't checked out the new categories, but I will as soon as I finish this. As for Michener, I attempted a couple of things, but never got very far, and when I saw him listed I decided this was the year to climb that mountain. Hawaii was the one I wanted to read, so I found a cheap used copy. With your blessing to read out of order, I think I'll start it while I'm on vacation.

I'll probably use the system that did back in college when I had to read huge novels, and was pressed for time. I picked up a really cheap paperpack at the used book store, and as I read each page, I pulled it out and tossed it away. It absolutely scandalized one of my professors, but it was such an incentive to see the book getting thinner and thinner! Whatever it takes to get through several novels courses at the same time.... :lol

Also, could we add a "reader's choice" custom category or two? I said I wasn't reading as much sci fi now, but looking back, I do read a lot. Also some non-fiction that doesn't really fit easily anywhere else.

For the next four days, I am ON VACATION. 30 minutes of housework, minimal cooking, and nothing else but reading, crocheting, and playing on the computer. Family joys are grand, but I live for my hermit holidays alone!

Donna- Enjoy your vacation!!! Isn't it great to have some time to yourself to just read, crochet and play on the computer? A slice of heaven for sure!!!

I chuckled at how you tackle big novels!!!

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Archived