2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Linda

I do the same thing -- if I find an author I like, then I want to read everything by them before moving onto someone else . I havent read any of the Evanovich books, but I know lots of people love them . I don't guess I'm a big mystery fan. Once in awhile, I read a book that would fit into a mystery category, but not real often. I used to read Christie's books a lot, but moved on to others .Guess it just depends on my mood .

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks ~

Do YOU have a reading goal for the coming year ? Are you setting a certain number of books you want to read, or have a certain list of books you plan on completing ?

I guess I had one goal that I have already met. I went for the past few years and did very little reading .I guess my mind was on other stuff and wasn't being disciplined enough with myself to set aside time to read .

I finally made up my mind to take up reading again like I used to . I would read every chance I got,even reading while making supper . I would go through books really quickly and be able to polish off some huge ones within a couple days time .

I just kinda let LIFE catch up to me, and didnt really do much reading ,but now I am reading much more often,and finishing books again ,so I guess I at least achieved that goal .

NOW... I have to decide if I am going to set a NUMBER goal ,and try to complete a certain number of books in one year ,like the 50 book challenge that a lot of you do .

SO ---what is YOUR reading goal for the coming year ?:think

Good morning!!! Happy Last Day of 2010!

My reading goal is to just read more- I'm not going to set a goal of a certain # of books because than for me that becomes stressful. If I don't make the # of books than I feel like I failed. I guess that may sound silly, but I tired the 50 book reading challenge once, saw how fast some folks were tallying up the score and I felt like I just couldn't keep up - :(

I like that this challenge is more a go at your own pace type of thing.:yes I have been reading more the last week or so and enjoying it immensely! After all the crocheting to get gifts made, it is a welcome break.

Realistically, I have a certain # of hours in the day to devote to either reading or crocheting since I routinely work more than 40 hrs/week and that doesn't count my commute time each day. And I do have to sleep (although for the life of me I don't seem to be able to sleep more than 5-6 hrs/night)

I love hearing about books that are being read, the different categories for the challenge and the fact that at the end of the year, we'll be donating to a charity!

My other goal is to try and expand my reading horizons. I LOVE mysteries and I do tend to also find an author I like and then read everything in site by that author- and then get burned out on it. So I'm hoping to mix it up a bit this year and the different categories will help me do that.

Well, I've babbled on enough!!! Hope you all have a wonderful last day of 2010 and here's to all good things in 2011!!:hug

Hi, ladies - thanks for the comments on the bags. I like the felted one, too - I've felted before and love the patterns that show up.:D

Judy- How many rounds is this? You know me- I need it really spelled out! :hook

Unfelted, began as size 16 by 12 with a strap of 23 inches. I used a size 9.00mm hook. The strap didn't shrink but the bag went down to 8 1/2 by 10 1/2, almost identical to the cotton version. The holes in the granny are still there, but very small.

ETA on 12/31/2010- I can just measure the granny to get it 16 X 12. I guess my brain was tired last night when I asked that question!!! LOL

I made 7 rounds, but you crochet looser. I used the G hook as suggested. The 5 rows of dc and 2 of sc are on one side only and then your sc them together, wrong side facing, and go back over th eedge (cotton version only) with a rev sc (crab stitch) if you want to...

Jules, years ago I'd be standing at the stove, stirring something, while I read:lol

And I won't set a goal...just that I'll be reading lots more every day than in this past year!

I just used up a gift card for B&N that I got...and I had such fun!

Ordered "curtains" by A Christie (wanted the hard copy instead of Nook version of this and a couple of other books). I ordered Mists of Avalon from a used book seller and a couple of other paperbacks. I find I shop so carefully when I have a GC:lol I'll be getting my new books indribs and drabs, which will be fun:D

Good morning. I just finished The Children of the Shiny Mountain by David Dvorkin. The story is a 4 but the delivery is a 1. It was like a college lecture on a detailed subject delivered in a flat monotone. The story was good which is the only reason I finished it, but the delivery put me to sleep after about 20 pages or so. :yawn I guess I rate it at a 2 or 2.5 overall. Definitely one that I will not reread.

My goal is probably to read at least one in each category, beyond that will depend on time and what I happen to feel like reading at the time. :devil

I love the Evanovich books. Nice light reading that's a mix of mystery, romance, and humor.

Very nice, Judy. I really like the look of the felted version.

I've got all but the last one of the Outlander series and I've listened to the last one as an audio book. I've liked all of them. I started reading them as they first came out so had to wait for the next one in between each one, thus no overdosing for me. :lol I think I overdosed on the Evanovich books by reading too many back to back and never did finish all of them. I do like Grandma, though. She's a hoot and reminds me of some of my great-aunts, now all deceased.

Last night I finished Karen McQuestion's Celia and the Fairies. I picked it up some months ago for the Kindle when it was .99. It had good reviews on Amazon, a "modern fairy tale." I think it was overrated. The good people were too good, the evil people too evil, and the character transformation was literally magical, with no grounding. I know it is intended for children, but I found it altogether too sweet - even for child consumption. I would give it at best a 2. I only finished it because it was short and I was going to get my .99 worth!

I'm not going to set a number goal, though I am counting in my signature. I list them on a spreadsheet to be sure I get all the quarters in the cup, so it's self-counting. Last year over on Frugal Village I did the 100 book challenge, and by the time I was getting near the end of that it began to feel like an assignment, a chore to do. After that, I read just as much, but enjoyed it more, not feeling like I ought to be reading when I was doing something else. Remembering that is why I abandoned the de-stashing game.

It's the audiobooks that have increased my reading so much, since I can listen while I crochet or work on puzzles. Before I would just put on music, but I really enjoy the books more.

happy New Years Eve ! I hope you all are safe with the nasty weather thats hitting us.

I just finished a book called The Loving Dead by Amelia Beamer. I give it a -5. It was completely not worth reading, and the Zombies in it are very fairytale-ish in the sense that they are nothing like what a zombie is supposed to be. Typical zombies have no emotion, are very slow, and are not driven to do anything but consume living flesh. The zombies in the book have emotions, decent coordination and motor function and are sexually driven creatures that can light a cigarette, untie their restraints and other things they should not be able to. It was very rediculous to the point that I am returning it for another book.

Hi again ladies

It's nice to hear what you are reading and a little book review of it . It may give others an idea of books to read (or NOT READ) ,if they dont sound very good .

For all of you who don't want to set a goal ,that's probably a good idea ,because it would seem more like a chore if it was a have-to deadline type thing. This way is more fun . You have the option ,really, of reading anything at all you want,and lots of the categories ,you could squeeze a lot of different type books into them .

I'm with those of you who buy the book, even if it's not good, I try to read it if I buy it because I feel like I am wasting money if I don't .

I need to start a new book today. I polished off a quick one yesterday -- it was a kindle 5 buck one ,and wasnt very long. It was about a murder that took place back in the 1860's and was never solved .They had different suspects,but never found any of them guilty,so it kinda leaves you hanging,wondering who did it,but the book wasn't long or in depth,so you didnt really get to know the characters well. I like true crime stories,so even though it didnt have an ending, I still liked reading about it .

Not sure what I will start next. Our grandson is here for the rest of the day and to spend the night,so I may not get much reading time until he has to go home tomorrow .

You all enjoy the holiday tonight,to those of you that celebrate . :)

happy New Years Eve ! I hope you all are safe with the nasty weather thats hitting us.

I just finished a book called The Loving Dead by Amelia Beamer. I give it a -5. It was completely not worth reading, and the Zombies in it are very fairytale-ish in the sense that they are nothing like what a zombie is supposed to be. Typical zombies have no emotion, are very slow, and are not driven to do anything but consume living flesh. The zombies in the book have emotions, decent coordination and motor function and are sexually driven creatures that can light a cigarette, untie their restraints and other things they should not be able to. It was very rediculous to the point that I am returning it for another book.

Oh, dear! :eek A Minus 5! I think I'd take it back, too.

Hello everyone. happy New Year! (well its still a few hours away, but I amm too tired to stay up that long. I didn't sleep at all last night.

Judy, your book bags look good. I like the way the felted one turned out. I doubt if I will be making a book bag. I tend to carry a large purse, and pretty much always have room for a book.

I won't be setting any reading goals. I tend to read in spurts, but if I set a goal, i will probably quit reading. I've been reading a lot since I got my nook, mostly older free books that I have found on-line.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Actually it's only 9 here but I know back east the New Year has arrived! Just a quiet evening at home but those are usually the best anyway!

Finished another book today "While My Pretty One Knits" by Anne Canadeo. Not too bad-a pretty quick read and although relatively predictable it was entertaining.

Finished a bag last night. I made it for my kindle until I can get a regular case for it.I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Be safe everyone and may all of your dreams come true this year!:2magic

Happy New Year ladies ! May you all find lots of good books and lots of crochet projects to work on this year .

Cindy

Sounds great to not set a reading goal. I understand, it doesnt seem as fun if you HAVE to do something .

Trish

Good job, finishing a book and a project ! We'll be looking for your photo when you get the chance to post it !

You've read 7 books already Julie! Geesh! I wish I had the time to pick out 7 books much less read them!

I've still read the 1 Koontz one and have #2 waiting for me to get into it. I read the first couple of pages, then got interrupted.

Good morning, and happy new year, my friends!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Finished a bag last night. I made it for my kindle until I can get a regular case for it.I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Awesome! Looking forward to a picture....:hook

I do have some reading goals for 2011. It's not so much about numbers--I'm a voracious reader, and I read really fast, so 50 books in a year isn't even a challenge to me. Because I can churn through them so fast, my goals are more about quality than quantity. I read a LOT of 3rd-rate stuff in 2010--mostly Kindle freebies. Man, those things can be time-wasters. Even when you read as quickly as I do, 2 hours reading fluff is 2 hours NOT reading something meatier.

Naturally, I like my escapist comfort reads as much as anyone, but I want to read some serious stuff in 2011. Two of the first on the list (already started, actually) are Absence of Mind by Marilynne Robinson (love her fiction, but this is non-fiction) and Habits of Mind: Intellectual Life as a Christian Calling by James Sire. I've read a couple of James Sire's other books, and they are great. Now, hopefully you won't think I'm totally strange, but those are part of my goals.

I posted my favorite books of 2010 on my blog: http://ukrakovianki.blogspot.com/2010/12/best-reads-of-2010.html

I have such good intentions, but then I grab an Orson Scott Card book from my shelf, and off I go.

I've made a good start on Island of the World by Michael O'Brien--it's shaping up to be an amazing read, but the pace is very slow and thoughtful so far, with hints of tension hovering around the edges of the story, getting closer all the time. You just have to slow down when you read a book like this, or you miss so much. Honestly, I hate the break-neck pace at which I read. Wish somebody had made me slow down long ago, because I'm not very good at doing it myself.

Good Morning Cindy and Karen - Happy New Year!

Karen, I read way too fast, too, and it's hard to slow down. I have some classics loaded into my Nook that should help me slow down a bit. I hope:lol

I wasn't able to get your blog page to load up...will try later.

Have a good one, my friends!

Good morning and Welcome to 2011!!!

Karen- I think we all have read our fair share of what is considered "trash"-:lol I have lots of the Classics on my Nook and I would like to challenge myself to read them. I checked out your blog and made note of some of the books that you mentioned. I think for me, I need to mix in some "hard" reads- those that require lots of attention with some "easy" reads or fluff!!

Looking forward to having fun with you all in the New Year with our crocheting and reading!!

Many blessings to you all!!!:hug:hug

Archived