2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Good morning everyone. I'm on call for work, so I got up early, just in case they need me.

Karen, I'm glad you are feeling a little better. Hope your dh doesn't get too sick.

I am re-reading a Nero Wolfe mystery at the moment. I've read it before but its been so long that I don't have a clue how it ends.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning folks

Karen

glad to hear you are at least a little improved,but you have the right idea. Take it easy so you dont overdo . Hope your husband doesnt get it too severely .

Cindy

Hope you get the day off so you can have another long weekend !

I just finished a book too --- The Glass Castle .. Jeannette Walls . Very good,but very depressing . Now on to part 2 --Half Broke Horses .

JoAnn, how much snow did you end up with? We have I'm guessing a foot and it's still coming. I had today off so I'm not worried about shoveling out in a hurry. BF called off work. so he can get out there too.

As for the game, I don't wanna talk about it. :( I cant believe Eli is the leader in throwing interceptions. I have to go whoop his but!

JoAnn, how much snow did you end up with? We have I'm guessing a foot and it's still coming. I had today off so I'm not worried about shoveling out in a hurry. BF called off work. so he can get out there too.

As for the game, I don't wanna talk about it. :( I cant believe Eli is the leader in throwing interceptions. I have to go whoop his but!

Good morning Wrennie- We got about a foot and a half with some of the drifts higher than that. My office closed today- got a call from my boss last night! NJ declared a State of Emergency so I'm sure that is why my office closed- this is the first time!!! I'm very relieved that I don't have to go in and DH is off work this week anyway.

I'm with you re: the game- It was very painful to watch:(

Here's a few pics to give you an idea of the snowfall we had

post-27163-13589760994_thumb.jpg

post-27163-135897609943_thumb.jpg

post-27163-135897609948_thumb.jpg

Karen- glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better! Hope that DH doesn't get too sick.

Cindy- So far every time my DD has been on call, she gets called in. Apparently one of the surgeons, schedules "elective"surgery on a Saturday- even though they really aren't elective. Saturdays OR schedule is only supposed to be for emergency surgeries.

Julie Glad you had Cam yesterday! I started reading a nice mindless book last night- Debbie Macomber- The Shop on Blossom Street- it was on my Nook and I thought to myself- now here's a quick read!!! LOL I also read a short story Evergreen- A Christmas Tale by Richard Taylor.

You got more than us, as predicted. I'll have to get pictures. I don't mind the snow so much, it's the cold and shoveling I hate.

Me too- I hurt my back shoveling last winter- and don't want to tempt the fates this year!

I finished my book, and I just got called and told they won't need me today. I might go shop the after Christmas sales later today.

Joanne, an ICU can be very unpredictable. We always start out the day with an admission plan or two, but we can get patients who are so sick that they need a nurse all to themselves, and then it's nice to have a nurse on-call. Our normal patient load is usually only two patients, once in a while three, if they are all doing quite well.

Wrennie and Joanne, be careful if you end up shoveling. That an awful lot of snow.

GOOD MORNING! I have a Christmas hangover. urghh.....lol

Christmas Eve - the Mr decided to take the day off (we own our own general contracting business), so we all packed up and went to the chiropractor - I had an appointment but he got us both in, kids played in the playroom.

then we got some last minute groceries, and headed home to dig out the sleds to take to my parents house. I cooked, and did some cleaning. Headed to my parents for a party around 2. sledded with the kids for a few hours then went inside for hot chocolate and start cooking, my brother and his family showed up with their dogs (one who just had leg surgery, this was her first outing post surgery). presents and lots of good finger food. We got home at 11, tucked the kids into bed, nursed the Mr's asthma attack (cats and dogs), took care of some "details"

Christmas Morning, kids were up at 8. we opened Santa, had breakfast. and opened a MOUNTAIN of presents. I started cooking and cleaning, husband's family was coming for dinner. I don't think I stopped going until about 10 when the last one walked out the door. but one of the BILs and I climbed into a bottle of red wine :) (we've both married into an insane family).

Boxing day was a put the house back together day.

and today....I hit the treadmill to wear off the extra 5lb I tacked on this weekend. Husband is off to work, and the kids are just getting up.

:)

I hope I get to read today, and I hope I get to crochet something today.

Good morning everyone. A nice and quiet morning at my house. Still haven't finish reading my christmas book yet. I have turkey and noodles cooking on the stove and dough rising for homemade rolls for lunch. I got a EdgeryDoo and a SnB Happy Hooker book for Christmas so today I'm going to spend the day playing with them.

All the pictures of snow are pretty here in the middle of Nebraska we don't have any.

Hi again ladies

Joanne and Cindy

Glad neither of you had to go out in the snow for work today . We are getting quite a pile ourselves,compared to what they said we would . Not anywhere NEAR what the NJ gals got,but it's been snowing all morning and still is,and the roads are scarey . I made it to the store and back,so I am done for the day .

Grammy

Sounds like you got some fun crocheting items for Christmas, so you will have some new patterns to try out now ,and your lunch sounds very good !

Those of you who have to shovel, be careful. Sam insists on doing ours,but I wish he wouldnt ,you know what they say about men our age and shoveling -- not very safe . Last year, we had some high school boys come around to shovel - they were earning money for the football team,so it was nice having these 3 big muscley teenagers to come do the whole driveway in about 15 minutes .

Havent seen them yet this winter though .

Christine

Thanks for the tip on how to get along in an insane family. I have been dealing with it all wrong. I need Red wine ! Does that help, or just keep you NUMB til the dinner is over ?

And sorry to ask a stupid question ,but could you explain Boxing Day ? I think it is a day between Christmas a New Years ? Or maybe I'm wrong ,and is it like an extended Christmas celebration, or another holiday altogether ?

Christine

Thanks for the tip on how to get along in an insane family. I have been dealing with it all wrong. I need Red wine ! Does that help, or just keep you NUMB til the dinner is over ?

And sorry to ask a stupid question ,but could you explain Boxing Day ? I think it is a day between Christmas a New Years ? Or maybe I'm wrong ,and is it like an extended Christmas celebration, or another holiday altogether ?

LOL, this was the first attempt at the red wine. it was FUN! the two of us had a great time! I was quite numb by the time everyone left (didn't even do the dinner dishes! :eek) and as soon as I got the kids to bed I was out cold on the couch in a puddle of drool. husband said I looked comfy....hee hee. :c9

and thankfully, no hangover! YAY me.

Boxing day is always the 26th. There are religious or traditional meanings that I can't recall - something to do with the wealthier people going door to door with boxes of gifts and money for the poor or 'service/working' people. Now though its a stat holiday, and the SHOPPING holiday (like the US has Black Friday, we have Boxing Day sales here in Canada).

but, I don't go out on Boxing day....especially now that most of the smokin sales are in the week before Christmas. lol

Christine- loved how you handled the insane family--happy to hear you didn' t have a hangover!!!

Cindy- That's great that you don't have to go into work today! Enjoy the sales. I'm in for the day! Not venturing out on the roads- but luckily the sun is shining so that should help!

Julie- Good thing you got out and now can stay inside. How much snow all together do you think you have?

We are all dugout! Thank goodness for snowblowers (and for DH getting a really good snowblower a few years ago) HE took his time as did I (my job was shoveling the steps) I don't want DH to shovel much at all- he already had one heart attack in his forties (before I knew him) and has a couple of stents. No backache for me, and no heart pain for DH so all is successful.

I think I'm going to go read a little and I may even sneak in a nap since I got this bonus day off work!!!!

Yes, all of you folks buried in the drifts, be careful when you shovel your way out. I loved the snow when I lived in Toronto for a few years, but I never had to shovel it or drive in it, so I could just enjoy it. Now the year we had little snow but tons of ice for weeks - that was a nightmare. Try to stay cosy.

Housework rules today, I'm afraid. I moved some furniture around yesterday, and now I have to put away all the flotsam left in the wake. But maybe I'll get to read and crochet tonight.

I've got the thread coming - I slipped it in with some other stuff I ordered, and tomorrow I'll go out and get the hook, so whenever the thread arrives I'll work on the snowflakes.

we're in the midst of a chinook - snow's melting, and the kids are playing in it making a massive fort in the backyard. lol daddy'd better watchout for flying snowballs when he gets home.

my chiropractor just moved here from Australia....this is his first snow too. and first time dealing with "shovelling muscles". lol

have a wintery wonderland day everyone!

Christine

Thanks for explaining Boxing Day . I remembered reading some books before in which it was mentioned ,but I didnt remember exactly what it meant or was for. I thought it was between Christmas and New Year's .

Glad you dont have any ill effects from the wine. You may want to make sure that is available at ALL the family dinners now if it did the trick !

Joanne

We only have maybe 6 or 7 inches of snow ? Not sure --- I didnt measure it,but it looks about right . I'm sure you have a lot bigger pile than we do .

We might have some winter doldrums going around:snow:wbrr...or the after-holiday blues:yawn:thair...and a little :angelsaid something to me that made me want to post a "just because" crochet project.:idea I know some of you have already made a snowflake or three (I haven't yet :blush , but that's only because I was playing with some new patterns)

Sooooo......I'll be putting the info on the crochet link on Julie's first post if anyone is interested...

edited to say: *LINK POSTED*

Exciting - another project!!! I spent the rest of my day reading today- I started The Shop on Blossom Street last night and spent the rest of the afternoon into evening finishing it today. What a nice relaxing day (after the digging out of almost 2 ft of snow that is)

Still haven't started the snow flakes (Cindy- I'm going to try #3 thread)- and I've actually seen enough snow for right now that I don't have the desire to make any more- maybe when some of the real stuff melts!!!

Have a good night everyone!

Judy- I love the project (of course it helps that the designer shares my name-:lol:lol)

How much bigger do you think we need to make it to felt it? I have the Patons Classic Wool that I've been dying to use to try my hand at felting and this would be PERFECT!!!! So excited!!!!:hug:hug

Hi CrochetVille Peoples ! :clap

I am looking to sign up for some CAL's in 2011 and would like to join you here!

Santa gave me a Kindle (well really I gave myself a Kindle :yes ) and I'm ready to use it!

So- I saw the snowflake patterns for January and I will probably make 2.

For a book made into a movie- I'm thinking Riding the Bus With My Sister.

I've been wanting to read it for awhile and this gives me a good chance.

Thanks for having me!

Lorraine - welcome to another Kindler! I'd be lost without mine. I hope you love yours as much.

Myblueangels - how could it be too late to join? It's not even 2011 yet! We just couldn't wait to get started.

I'll have to take a look at the new pattern. Sounds good. But LOL - I feel like I'm already behind! Thank goodness January has 31 days!

Archived