2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Welcome Paula!!!

Julie and Cindy and Christine- Can you believe I've never read any Agatha Christie books? Guess I have to add them to my "to read sometime in this life" list!!!

Hope everyone is having a good day- and getting last minute prep done for Christmas.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cindy

Yes,she was very good at describing her main characters so you could picture them . I am about as good at solving mystery stories as I am at jigsaw puzzles,which is no good at all. I like to try,but never guess right ,so I'm always surprised at the end .

Did you ever read the Miss Pollifax mysteries ? I read all of them before way back when,too,and remember really enjoying them,beause there seemd a little humor tossed into them . I can't remember who wrote them,but I really liked them .

I think Dorothy Gillman wrote the Mrs. Pollifax mysteries. I've read a few of them, but its been a while.

And I can't do jigsaw puzzles either.

Welcome Paula!!!

Julie and Cindy and Christine- Can you believe I've never read any Agatha Christie books? Guess I have to add them to my "to read sometime in this life" list!!!

Hope everyone is having a good day- and getting last minute prep done for Christmas.

I know that a couple of her books are available as free ebooks.

"The Mysterious Affair at Styles" stars Hercule Poirot, and the other is a Tommy and Tuppence mystery, called "The Secret Adversary". I don't think either are among her best works, but they are still good mysteries.

The latter can be downloaded free at B and N, and the Hercule Poirot one is as little as 99 cents there.

Yep, you got it ! Couldnt think of her name. Our library used to have her books, but I think they must have replaced them with something else. They do that once in awhile,have a book sale and get rid of some of their older books, then put out new books from time to time .

I remember reading them a long time ago too. I used to really go through the books,but have gotten out of the habit for a long time now . When I started watching Cam full time, I didnt want to take time away from him,so I spent all of it on him,and 'm not sorry I did,because I knew he'd only be little for a short time, but my books would sit here waiting for me whenever I got back to them .

Now, I have really been trying hard to read a lot more so I can get back in the habit. I think when you get older, you need to exercise your brain or it kinda gets worn out and wont work as well anymore .

Hi, everyone! I'm not going to get all my gifts done before Christmas, or at least they won't all make there by then. Part of my "challenge" for the January crochet project was designing the snowflake. The other part is making them in size 30 thread with a size 14 crochet hook. :lol :lol :lol I finished two of them last night. :D Still have one to go. I will probably make multiples of them using a variety of threads before the end of January arrives. I'm on my 6th book for December.

I remember the "Mrs. Pollifax" books and I think I have most of them packed in a box somewhere. I particularly liked "Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha," although they are all really good.

I know that a couple of her books are available as free ebooks.

"The Mysterious Affair at Styles" stars Hercule Poirot, and the other is a Tommy and Tuppence mystery, called "The Secret Adversary". I don't think either are among her best works, but they are still good mysteries.

The latter can be downloaded free at B and N, and the Hercule Poirot one is as little as 99 cents there.

Thanks Cindy- I just downloaded The Secret Adversary for free!!!:lol I'll be checking out The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

Quick pop in before getting ready for Paradise.

Nook owners- Gulliver's Travels is a free download- they put it up for free since the movie is being released this weekend.

Hope you all have a good day!

Just dropping in to say "hi"--like most of you, I'm incredibly busy these last few days before Christmas. I am SICK of cooking and baking, and I hope this food lasts for a week, or we are going to order pizza or something. I am feeling incredibly blessed by my 2 teenage daughters, who do so much to help. What will I do when they are gone? :eek

I actually finished a short book that I think fits the December challenge criteria: Ender's Gift, by Orson Scott Card. It's kind-of a holiday day story, and it has children as the main characters. (I don't really read much science fiction any more, but I am a fan of Card's Ender series.)

I've read tons of Agatha Christie--love Poirot and Miss Marple, but I never could warm up to Tommy and Tuppence. My girls (ages 17 and 13) enjoy them, but so far only the Poirot ones. They got turned on to them after watching the TV series. :rolleyes I've read the Mrs. Pollifax books, too. I like the earlier ones better--the more recent ones got a little too spiritist and new-agey for my taste.

I'm planning to go into full-time reading mode after the holiday. Some of my "reading" is audiobooks--that's when I crochet. I'm going to be reading some non-fiction that I've been waiting to get to, plus my Kindle gift book (The Island of the World by Michael O'Brien). I'm almost finished with Howard's End is on the Landing. I envision finishing that one by the end of December.

I wish everyone a happy, love-filled holiday. We don't have much in the way of gifts, and nothing extravagant this year, but I think we are enjoying our family time and simple Christmas tradtions (tree, baking, getting together with friends). Our only note of real sadness is that my son is alone in Ohio and can't be with us. We'll be virtually visiting via Skype on Christmas day.

Hi, everyone! I'm not going to get all my gifts done before Christmas, or at least they won't all make there by then. Part of my "challenge" for the January crochet project was designing the snowflake. The other part is making them in size 30 thread with a size 14 crochet hook. :lol :lol :lol I finished two of them last night. :D Still have one to go. I will probably make multiples of them using a variety of threads before the end of January arrives. I'm on my 6th book for December.

I remember the "Mrs. Pollifax" books and I think I have most of them packed in a box somewhere. I particularly liked "Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha," although they are all really good.

Isnt size 30 thread pretty much sewing thread? I can barely see the 20, cant crochet with it, and thats with magnifiers on!

Hi Karen

It does sound as if you have had several busy days. I used to bake a lot for the holidays,but not anymore. It's just the 2 of us here and most of our family have moved away ,so they are out of state or out of the country ( our daughter and family are in Korea),so we are just having a 2-people dinner .

I'm sure you will enjoy the day,even if you dont have lots of gifts,etc. I think sometimes people go overboard with that part of the holiday,and don't take the time to be thankful for the people in their lives .

Where in Ohio is your son ? That's where we live !

I know what it's like to have kids who won't be home with you for the holiday -- none of ours will, so it's just us . We are hoping to get to spend some time with our grandson,but I need to call his mom and see what we can get worked out regarding that . We may have to see him on Sunday after all the festivities .

Hi, ladies!:hug

Karen, thank goodness for SKYPE...enjoy your family time and all the good food:hug:manyheart

Nook owners- Gulliver's Travels is a free download- they put it up for free since the movie is being released this weekend.

I downloaded that one, too - never read it! I think I'll have to live to be 100 to read everythong I want to read!:lol

Size 30 is much thicker than sewing thread--more like 3 strands of sewing thread. I use a 1mm hook when I crochet with size 30 thread. I actually made a few snowflakes this year with size 30. I've given them away.

Julie, my son is in Massillon--kind of halfway between Mansfield and Canton? They've got such a cute old-fashioned downtown, with a fabulous public library. When he first went there in 2009, I took him straight to the library to get a card. They have AC in the summer (so nice), free wireless internet, plus he can borrow all the books and DVDs he wants for free.

Ohio is, of course, a huge state. I think it might be about the same size as Poland.

***edited to add:

No, I'm wrong. I had to look it up! Ohio is about 41,000 square miles, and Poland is about 120,000 square miles--3x larger. Poland is the size of a larger, western state like New Mexico.

Good morning!

{I'm in Alberta which is 661,848 square kilometers (255,541 square miles) - your size of Ohio made me wonder what size my province is. lol}

Today is the first day off for my girls. YAY! they never look forward to the first day off, its the day Mommy plays evil taskmaster! its Clean the house day! can you hear them whining behind me? Thats why I love the school that we're in, they get out only a few days before Christmas, which is great because I leave the cleaning to a couple days before - there is afterall a method to my madness.

Today I'm packaging up all the cookie buckets - which are our gifts to everyone. and going to make a bunch more snowflakes (I'm still hooked :hook on snowflakeB, I even got some size 10 thread with a pretty iridescent thread through it)

and I need to get some more rows done on the throw for my mom. I'm going to give it to her unfinished and take it home to finish. lol

Karen

I cannot believe he is that close to us ! My husband works in Canton,so he is probably 10 minutes from there every day .

We live in a small town near Akron . We've been through Massillon before,but usually only when we go down south to visit family in Marietta ,which is at the southern tip of Ohio .

So is he working there or going to school ? Very odd that he is so close . And does he have a girlfriend or wife or friend that he spends the holidays with ?

Hi, everyone! I can't persuade my computer to load the last page - it claims there is no such address - what are you all trying to hide from me? LOL. I hope I didn't miss anything important, but suddenly we're talking about the size of places we live. Interesting.....

Today I must, absolutely, no excuses accepted, clean house. (Thinks an unladylike word.) Ah well. Then tonight, i'll just keep plugging away on some of the projects.

I finished listening to Forster's Howard's End. I still haven't decided what I think of it, but on the whole, I didn't much care for it. I've never read any Agatha Christie either, or any "official" mystery books for that matter. If we have a category for them later, I'll ask for some recommendations.

Everyone have a great day.

Donna, I never could get interested in those early 20th century authors (Evelyn Waugh, EM Forster, Edith Wharton, etc...). I have a degree in English, and I managed to avoid most of them altogether and focus on my beloved Victorians (:lol). Oddly, in the past couple of years, I've suddenly grown into them, and I've been devouring Edith Wharton and nibbling around the edges of EM Forster. Howard's End really struck a chord with me--I loved it. Not the the story so much, and especially not the ending, but the characters, and the philosophy. I just wasn't ready for it before, and I'm not sorry I put off reading these authors. Sometimes a reader and a book just don't work together, and then another time, the same book is just right.

Julie, my son is in his second year of Bible college, and he works at a sign-making shop. He does a have a girlfriend, but sadly, she is in Australia with her family this year (where it's summer right now!), so he is pretty alone this holiday. He could have gone to my family in PA, but he is house-sitting for someone and trying to get in some extra work hours.

I grew up in western PA, and my grandparents lived in Ravenna--Ohio is home territory for me (I was in Marietta, too, in May of this year).

Good morning!

{I'm in Alberta which is 661,848 square kilometers (255,541 square miles) - your size of Ohio made me wonder what size my province is. lol}

Okay, Christine, that is huge. So I did a bit more checking, and discovered that Canada is slightly larger than EUROPE, never mind just Poland. And it's only divided into just 13 province and territories...so yeah, most of them have to be huge. Wow.

Isnt size 30 thread pretty much sewing thread? I can barely see the 20, can't crochet with it, and that's with magnifiers on!

My size 14 hook is 0.75 mm. It's not that far off from the 100% cotton thread, but a bit bigger. I have to take my glasses off when I work with the size 30 thread or I can't see it clearly. Size 20 is fine, but not the size 30. :lol :lol :lol

January

1- Book made into a movie

2-Book set in another country

:yayBonus Book Authors

Isaac Asimov

Jack London

A A Milne

Edgar Allan Poe

Lewis Carroll

E M Forster

J D Salinger

MY BOOKS!

Call Of The Wild (bonus author and Made Into a Movie...woohoo!)

February

1-Memoir

2-Classic

MY BOOKS

Life, In Spite Of Me

(memoir)

Anna Karenina

(classic)

March

1-Person's name in the title

2-Book ONE of a series

April

1-Travel narrative

2-Flowers on the cover

May

1-Author starts with M

2-Any banned book

June

1-Any mystery

2-An author new to you that someone recommended

July

1-Childhood favorite

2-Book that has been on your list for a LONG time,and you never got around to it yet .

August

1-Biography of a famous person

2-Any book set during a War

September

1-Any book over 350 pages

2-A COLOR in the title

October

1-Scarey book

2-Edgar Allen Poe book

November

1-Short story collection

2-Make a recipe from a cookbook

December

1-Any Award-Winning book

2-Takes place out West --past or present

Oh I would love to join in! May I please? I love to read and I love to crochet so I should be good. Are the projects small or large because I am not very fast? Anyway, we were supposed to just put our name...sorry.

Shana (shana0923)

Welcome, Shana!:hook

Jules will pop in later and say more, but at my end of things, the crocheting part, I'm trying to keep the projects smallish, yet something that might be new to a few of us, which would make it a bit of a challenge. You can do any of them you want. Or sit them out...no real rules on that, so no pressure.

Read the first post if you haven't already, and check out the book and crochet links.

Oh I would love to join in! May I please? I love to read and I love to crochet so I should be good. Are the projects small or large because I am not very fast? Anyway, we were supposed to just put our name...sorry.

Shana (shana0923)

Welcome, Shana.

Okay, Christine, that is huge. So I did a bit more checking, and discovered that Canada is slightly larger than EUROPE, never mind just Poland. And it's only divided into just 13 province and territories...so yeah, most of them have to be huge. Wow.

lol, yep. lots of wide open spaces up here.

:)

(I love statistics)

Just dropping in to say "hi"--like most of you, I'm incredibly busy these last few days before Christmas. I am SICK of cooking and baking, and I hope this food lasts for a week, or we are going to order pizza or something. I am feeling incredibly blessed by my 2 teenage daughters, who do so much to help. What will I do when they are gone? :eek

I actually finished a short book that I think fits the December challenge criteria: Ender's Gift, by Orson Scott Card. It's kind-of a holiday day story, and it has children as the main characters. (I don't really read much science fiction any more, but I am a fan of Card's Ender series.)

I've read tons of Agatha Christie--love Poirot and Miss Marple, but I never could warm up to Tommy and Tuppence. My girls (ages 17 and 13) enjoy them, but so far only the Poirot ones. They got turned on to them after watching the TV series. :rolleyes I've read the Mrs. Pollifax books, too. I like the earlier ones better--the more recent ones got a little too spiritist and new-agey for my taste.

I'm planning to go into full-time reading mode after the holiday. Some of my "reading" is audiobooks--that's when I crochet. I'm going to be reading some non-fiction that I've been waiting to get to, plus my Kindle gift book (The Island of the World by Michael O'Brien). I'm almost finished with Howard's End is on the Landing. I envision finishing that one by the end of December.

I wish everyone a happy, love-filled holiday. We don't have much in the way of gifts, and nothing extravagant this year, but I think we are enjoying our family time and simple Christmas tradtions (tree, baking, getting together with friends). Our only note of real sadness is that my son is alone in Ohio and can't be with us. We'll be virtually visiting via Skype on Christmas day.

Karen- it's wonderful that your two teenagers are such a great help! I miss having my girls around - they are all great bakers and forced me to make cookies- I'd much rather do most anything other than cook- I just don't enjoy the clean-up so I'd rather not make the mess to begin with:lol But I'll probably bake up a batch of cookies tomorrow morning. My oldest is up in Boston- and won't be coming home for Christmas- I'll miss her for sure. But we'll talk on the phone and I will be spending Christmas Eve with my two other daughters at my youngest daughters Mother-in-law's house. It's always a lot of fun. I think I need to look into some audiobooks since I love to read, and I love to crochet and working 40+hrs/week doesn't leave a lot of time to do both!

Hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and thank goodness for Skype!!!! What did people do before all this wonderful technology?

Archived