2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning to those who are up and posting !

Sounds like we all kinda have a reading plan of some sort in place, whether it is a set number of books, a certain type of book, or just to make reading more of a priority .

Karen

I tend to agree with you on some of the freebies for the kindle -- I have gotten ahold of a few myself that are new and unheard-of writers and the writing is pitiful .I'm sure they could be some that are really good ,new talent ,but I havent found any yet.

The free classics are almost always a good choice unless it's an author who is too "dry",which a few of them are .

And I don't think anyone would consider your reading choices to be wierd . We all have different types of books we like . Just like we all have favorite foods, we also have favorite books, colors, etc .

Makes the world more interesting !

Top Ten Books of All Time ?

( List online from the book called The Top Ten :Writers Pick Their Favorite Books )

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust

The Stories of Anton Chekhov by Anton Chekhov

Middlemarch by George Eliot

How many have you read,and how many would you agree with ? What would YOUR top Ten include ?

This sounds like a great one for me!:clap

Welcome!!

Good morning all & Happy New Year! I've read a few of the post. Love your bags Judy!
Thanks!

( List online from the book called The Top Ten :Writers Pick Their Favorite Books )

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy Read it in High School

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy On my Nook waiting for me

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain My book club's selection a few months ago - I skimmed it.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare High School

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Read it with my Book Club

How many have you read,and how many would you agree with ? What would YOUR top Ten include ?

Not sure if I could make a top ten list. My choices are very eclectic, ranging from Jane Eyre and other books with the UK as it's setting to modern cozy mysteries set in the US.

I've read 3 of those books, Hamlet, The Great Gatsby and Huckleberry Finn. I started Lolita, Anna Karenina, and War and Peace and couldn't get into any of them.

I personally thought "The Great Gatsby" was over-rated.

I am not really into serious literature as such. I read quickly and I want my books to move along at a good pace. When I read, I want to be entertained, and enjoy myself, and therefore if a book doesn't grab my interest, I don't finish it. Life is too short for me to waste it on someone else's idea of what I should read.

I couldn't make a top ten list, my tastes change on a whim, and sometimes a book or author really surprises me.

:firecrack :mdust :firecrack Happy New Year!!! :firecrack :mdust :firecrack

I've read one of the top ten list, Huckleberry Finn. I tried War and Peace but didn't make it very far.

I managed to read 7 books in December. That's much better than my norm. Now into the official beginning of the 2011 Challenge. I'll be looking through my shelves to see what I've got that fits into this month's categories. And I made two sets of this month's snowflakes. Guess I'll have to make another set this month. :lol

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (read it 3 years ago and going to read it again for this challenge)

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (read it in 8th grade and loved it)

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (read it in 6th grade)

Hamlet by William Shakespeare (read in 9th grade)

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (read in 10th grade)

Wow, i need to read some of these again, it has been awhile lol. I loved Anna Karenina

I've bolded the ones I've read:

So, that's half. That's kind of my norm--when I consider most lists of "have you read this," I've usually read about half of them. I will, sometime, read Anna Karenina and The Great Gatsby. I might tackle the Proust someday, if I get in the right mood. Madame Bovary isn't really on my radar, and I think I actually have read some Chekhov, but it would have been long ago.

What an odd list of books!

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - have on audio for this year

Madame Bovary was not a favorite, nor was Middlemarch. I agree that the Great Gatsby is overrated.

I almost finished with a book set in another country. For me it's a 5+, a favorite I have read many times. Gerald Durrell, My Family and Other Animals. It's his memoir of a couple of years he and his family lived in Corfu. He was 10 when they moved there. He later became a famous collector of animals for zoos and wrote many wonderful books about it. His brother is Lawrence Durrell, the auhor. This is one of the funniest books on my list. As often as I have read I was still laughing out loud last night. I really love this one.

I've also started an odd one I found yesterday for the Kindle. Jo Walton, Tooth and Claw. According to the descriptions, it's a "Victorian" novel with one little difference - all the characters are dragons. When it opens, the patriach of the family is dying, and wants to make his confession to his son, who is a clergyman. In the first pages we are introduced to the family, and the first hints about how the society functions. It sounds like it is going to be a fascinating and imaginative read.

Julie, why didn't you give us a category for books about Victorian dragons? I have no idea where I'll put this one!

Books Read:

December

Winter Theme

Return to Rose Cottage (Cover has snow on it)-by Sherryl Woods

Any Mystery that is part of a series of mystery stories that has the same person in each one.

The Confession (audio)-by John Grisham; Possession in Death (audio) by J.D. Robb

January

Book made into a movie

Call Me Mrs. Miracle-by Debbie Macomber

Book set in another country

February

Memoir

Classic

March

Person's name in the title

Book ONE of a series

April

Travel narrative

Flowers on the cover

May

Author starts with M

Any banned book

June

Any mystery

An author new to you that someone recommended

July

Childhood favorite

Book that has been on your list for a LONG time,and you never got around to it yet .

August

Biography of a famous person

Any book set during a War

September

Book over 350 pages

A COLOR in the title

October

Scarey book

Edgar Allen Poe book

November

Short story collection

Make a recipe from a cookbook

December

Any Award-Winning book

Takes place out West --past or present

:badideaGrab Bag :shrug

Completed -Don't fit a category .:blink

Crochet Projects:

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

I've only read two from this top ten list!

The Road by Cormac McCarthy and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott- those two would be on my top ten.

Hope everyone is having a good start to 2011. I did laundry- and then DH wanted to go out for a bit. Finally sitting down and not sure if i'm going to Hook or Nook for a while.:D

I've also started an odd one I found yesterday for the Kindle. Jo Walton, Tooth and Claw. According to the descriptions, it's a "Victorian" novel with one little difference - all the characters are dragons. When it opens, the patriach of the family is dying, and wants to make his confession to his son, who is a clergyman. In the first pages we are introduced to the family, and the first hints about how the society functions. It sounds like it is going to be a fascinating and imaginative read.

Julie, why didn't you give us a category for books about Victorian dragons? I have no idea where I'll put this one!

I like the way your mind thinks. :D I'll be interested to see what you think of Tooth and Claw. It sounds like it's got lots of promise. :yes

Finished Code Blue- a medical mystery written by a fairly new author- retired physician, Richard Mabry- It was ok and I enjoyed it since it was a medical mystery and imanurse!:lol:lol

Just started another mystery(not medical) Deadly Sanctuary by Sylvia Noble- another free Nook book.

No hooking today- only Nooking!:lol

Finished Code Blue- a medical mystery written by a fairly new author- retired physician, Richard Mabry- It was ok and I enjoyed it since it was a medical mystery and imanurse!:lol:lol

Just started another mystery(not medical) Deadly Sanctuary by Sylvia Noble- another free Nook book.

No hooking today- only Nooking!:lol

I have those two books on my list, too...

Evening Ladies...

LOOOONG day in my house today.

husband and I ran our first race last night - the Resolution Run5k. for the local police helicopter service. it was COLD, -20C (-4F) without the windchill - I'm pretending to not know how cold it really was. lol. lots of microfibre layers and hand warmers in the mittens. crappy pace - finished in 40minutes - but lots of icy spots and inconsistent runners (there were 1500). but it was fun - we were going to meet MIL downtown at the mall where the run was based from, then go to the new years party but it was too cold for the kids (and MIL gets cranky). so they hung out at home.

got home, had hot coffee to help out the frozen lungs. and watched movies, ate popcorn with the kids. in bed by 12:15 lol

then brunch today with friends and family at our house.

Christmas is being put away tomorrow.

My December reading totals were 15books, and 14 of the B snowflake. I just have to post my titles in my post. :)

but now, its time to go work on a blanket and do some more recovering from my race. the hips are really tender from running on ice.

Wow, Christine !

Good for you, for making that run in the cold ! I dont know anything about good times'etc,because I've never done that before,but it sounds like you did well to me .

You must be in really good shape to do those long races like that . I get winded if I walk to the street corner .

Sounds as if you guys are all busy reading away ,so that's good !

Donna- sorry about forgetting a DRAGON category ! I didnt really think of it -- that might fit into a Fantasy category,but I didnt make one .

I ended up putting my "extras" that wont fit in anyplace in at the bottom . They still count as books read,just dont fit anyplace else .

Val

I'll go check your link -- sorry it isnt working for you. I was doing some rearranging of post one to make it shorter yesterday,but didnt do any changes on the name list,but it might have messed things up when I moved stuff around . I'll make sure it works today for you .

You all have a great sunday !

Hi Val -

Just went in and checked all the names and yours was the only one that wasnt clickable --- sorry , I probably added your name, but forgot to do the clickable thing,but it works now !

Thanks for telling me about it so I made sure to fix it . :)

Good morning Challengers!

Wow Christine- that is amazing that you ran that 5K in those temps! I'm definitely impressed!!:clap Hope your sore hips are feeling better this morning. I don't know how you RUN on ice when I'm afraid to WALK on ice!:eek

I read some more last night after logging off- Deadly Sanctuary is holding my interest. Did get to bed early around 9:30 and here I am at the crack of dawn- up and raring to go!

I'm heading to B&N this morning for a Nook class. Then this afternoon it's Football and Crocheting on the agenda. It's my GIANTS last hope (albeit a small hope) of getting into the playoffs.

Have a great day everyone!

Morning Joanne

I finished another book,but it was a real short one -- one of the low cost self published books .Interesting but a little hard to follow who is who for most of the story .

Good luck to the Giants ,and enjoy your day today !

I'll be watching too imanurse. Ya think Eli will hear me yelling at him today?

If he doesn't hear you yelling, I'm sure he'll me yelling! (and probably Judy, too) So maybe with our collective yelling, we'll be heard!:lol

Good morning!!!:hug

Evening Ladies...

LOOOONG day in my house today.

husband and I ran our first race last night - the Resolution Run5k. for the local police helicopter service. it was COLD, -20C (-4F) without the windchill - I'm pretending to not know how cold it really was. lol. lots of microfibre layers and hand warmers in the mittens. crappy pace - finished in 40minutes - but lots of icy spots and inconsistent runners (there were 1500). but it was fun - we were going to meet MIL downtown at the mall where the run was based from, then go to the new years party but it was too cold for the kids (and MIL gets cranky). so they hung out at home.

got home, had hot coffee to help out the frozen lungs. and watched movies, ate popcorn with the kids. in bed by 12:15 lol

then brunch today with friends and family at our house.

Christmas is being put away tomorrow.

My December reading totals were 15books, and 14 of the B snowflake. I just have to post my titles in my post. :)

but now, its time to go work on a blanket and do some more recovering from my race. the hips are really tender from running on ice.

I'm tired after reading this:P

Morning Joanne

I finished another book,but it was a real short one -- one of the low cost self published books .Interesting but a little hard to follow who is who for most of the story .

Good luck to the Giants ,and enjoy your day today !

And that's why it was self published....:yes

I'll be watching too imanurse. Ya think Eli will hear me yelling at him today?

If he doesn't hear you yelling, I'm sure he'll me yelling! (and probably Judy, too) So maybe with our collective yelling, we'll be heard!:lol
Oh yeah....I get so wound up!!

Joanne and Cheeria, let me know if you learn anything new at the Nook class...enjoy!

Archived