2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Morning ladies

Marisa

Good luck on the baby blanket ,but I know you will finish in tim3. You are a whiz --I cannot believe the afghans you got done in the time frame you had before Christmas !

Joanne

Hope your day at work goes well and you are soon home again . Too bad you will have a short weekend off . Hope your next week is a little easier .

As for the snowflakes ,I think you will be able to figure them out ,and if you get stuck, Linda or Jude will jump right in to help,along with all the photos (link in the Crochet post, I think) --you will be able to make any or all of them !

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, believe it or not, I read an entire book since last night ,and what a good one it was .

It was a very fast read,not super thick (351 pgs),but the print wasnt real small ,and the story was so good you wanted to keep reading .

Called The Prize Winner of Defiance,Ohio by Terry Ryan .

It was a true story about a mom who had 10 kids ,and an alcoholic husband ,so they were always short of money or had none at all,so the mom started entering all the "jingle-writing " contests for products which they used to have in the 50's and 60's .

She actually won enough times to keep their family afloat throughout their lives. A VERY good book. Have to give this one 5 stars .

Sad in spots, and parts of it make you angry at the dad for making life so hard for this mom ---anyhow won't give away the ending but it is SO worth the time to read .

Joanne - I have done the third snowflake yet, but the first was easier than the second for me, although that one wasn't hard either (I just missed a step that got myself confused until I went back to check it for the 4th time when I finally caught it :lol )

I hope to do the 3rd today during lunch after finishing the last round of the 2nd. So, I'll let you know tomorrow :yes

I'm hoping to try my hand at one of the thread snowflakes on Sunday. Which is the EASIEST of the three to do?

Hope you ALL have a happy Friday!

I only did the 1, top right of picture. It was very easy, no picots etc., just a few rounds & tada!

I finished snowflake B - need to tuck tails and starch...but want to do C first.

Linda, my clover size 7 hook is working well with 10 thread...and I love the symmetry (sp?) of your patterns! Deceptively simple, and just wonderful to make. Do you happen to like math?? I was wondering as I saw how they were working out...;)

Oh, yeah. I like math and I'm good at it, too. My high school math teacher wanted me to be a math teacher. :lol :lol :lol I continually amaze Rosie at my ability to calculate stuff on the fly for the quilts we make. My ex majored in math and both our kids are good at it, too. :lol :lol :lol

I try to keep my snowflakes pretty straight forward. The middle one doesn't have any stitches that needed explaining, so that might be the easiest to follow.

I'm about as obsessed with hunting down books as I am with hunting down cool patterns.

I play on http://www.goodreads.com - when you click on a book, down at the bottom there's a 'you might like these too' section. and I just keep clicking and clicking and then I don't know where I am but I have a few dozen new books on my 'to-read' list. lol

Thanks for the input ladies on the snowflakes. I need to attempt it when I have a good light- and since Sunday is the only day I'm home this week, I'm praying for sun!!!

Julie- I'll have to add that book to my list of ones to read. Thanks! You too Karen for giving it the thumbs up too!!!

Julie, thanks for the lists. I'm going to print out a few of them. I'm curious to see how many I have read from the list of 1000. Since I brought everything I needed to crochet during my supper break at work -- except the hook :lol -- I'll go through it then.

I also signed up for goodreads.com. That site's going to take some exploring.

I finished the Victorian dragon book last night, Jo Walton's Tooth and Claw. It was so much fun! It was sort of a cross between Jane Austen (Austen-like plot) and Trollope's picture of society. She did a lot of fun things - like the cliche "blushing bride" becomes a major element in the life and society of the dragons - and the plot, and incorporated all the usual dragon lore - flying, flaming, sleeping on gold, and so on in really inventive ways. It's a quick light read, but I love it when whole cultures are freshly imagined. I found it more interesting the farther I read, as the society began to be more clearly unfolded. I thought it well worth my time, though it's not "great literature" in any way.

Hi ladies

Just a quick check in for the last of the evening. We have our grandson here to spend the night,so I guess I'll clear off and go see what he is up to. We like getting to spend time with him when he's here .

You all enjoy your evening -- I'll stop back in the morning ... Keep on reading ,you are all doing great .

I also signed up for goodreads.com. That site's going to take some exploring.

I finished the Victorian dragon book last night, Jo Walton's Tooth and Claw. It was so much fun! It was sort of a cross between Jane Austen (Austen-like plot) and Trollope's picture of society. She did a lot of fun things - like the cliche "blushing bride" becomes a major element in the life and society of the dragons - and the plot, and incorporated all the usual dragon lore - flying, flaming, sleeping on gold, and so on in really inventive ways. It's a quick light read, but I love it when whole cultures are freshly imagined. I found it more interesting the farther I read, as the society began to be more clearly unfolded. I thought it well worth my time, though it's not "great literature" in any way.

I'm hypermama on goodreads as well. :)

I read Tooth and Claw last year I think it was....it was fun.

Well, I only scored 161 out of a 1000 on the book list. That's sad, after a lifetime of reading, some of them under academic compulsion. However, it contained a lot of titles in genres I just don't read. I guess it could have been worse.

But some of the choices bewildered me. I have actually read at different times back in college when I was reading everything, three of Tobias Smollett's books - The Adventures of Roderick Random, The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle, and The Expedition of Humphrey Clinker. Why, I don't know since they are so obscure they're not even read in classes as far as I know. I can't imagine why they made a list like this - I can't figure out why anyone should read them, let alone everyone!

Taken all together, it seemed a rather strange list to me. But it was fun to go through it. Before I die, I'm sure I'll read more of the 839 still waiting. Some on the list have been on my to-read list for a long time. But there are some on it I wouldn't read if I were offered a lifetime supply of fine yarn in exchange! There's definitely something for everyone on it though.

Thanks for the link.

Quick stop in to say Good morning and have a great day! I have to work (and since I'm salaried I don't get paid extra which makes it harder and harder to work these extra hours) But what can you do?

I've got to check out the goodreads site.

Quick stop in to say Good morning and have a great day! I have to work (and since I'm salaried I don't get paid extra which makes it harder and harder to work these extra hours) But what can you do?

I've got to check out the goodreads site.

Good morning! I know what you mean. I'm covering the opening and closing of my store because we had to fire a shift supervisor this week. I'm off to work now and won't get off until 10P.

Good morning all. Have a great day!

Good morning all

Sounds as if you are all having fun looking through the reading lists and visiting the goodreads site. I had been in there before and signed up awhile ago,and never did much with my page after that,but maybe it's time to go back in and update it . Sounds like lots of you may be going in to join up too,so we could possibly make some type of group in there that is made up of the people in this group,so we could keep up in 2 places .

I'll try to take time to look at it later on -- our grandson is still here so I try not to spend a lot of time on here while he is up ,but will definitely take the time to look into the goodreads boards soon .

Will be back later to respond more directly to everyone ~~ enjoy your Saturday ,:)

Good morning. I've been up since 7, went to breakfast with the in-laws, ran errands and just got home. I need to clean house today, and we are going out again tonight,so I won't be around much. I'll check out the good reads site when I have more time to look around.

Hi Jude

Yea, i know what you mean -- thats probably why i didnt keep going in to goodreads --- it takes some organizing to get your page like you want it and record everything .

Maybe once i go back in i can get things straightened out .

Good morning ladies :coffee

I have my first 2 snowflakes finished (A and B). I did started C and got 2 of the arms done and wasn't happy with it so I took it out and moved onto something else :sigh Here's a pic and the first is starched, but the 2nd is not yet.

I didn't read at all yesterday either :(

post-36814-13589761406_thumb.jpg

good morning!

we're back to our regularly scheduled programming. lol oldest has piano class this morning.

then we're going to the Ultimate health and fitness show downtown. husband is going to the motorcycle show at the same convention centre with SIL and BIL so we're meeting up for lunch or something.

I got a bunch of crocheting done last night (I worked out a bit too hard yesterday morning, it was all I could do to use my hands, lol body shut down around 7:30).

I'll go look up some of you on goodreads. as far as I know setting up groups is pretty easy. that would be fun!

and they have an APP too = which is really fun to use.

Good morning ladies :coffee

I have my first 2 snowflakes finished (A and B). I did started C and got 2 of the arms done and wasn't happy with it so I took it out and moved onto something else :sigh Here's a pic and the first is starched, but the 2nd is not yet.

I didn't read at all yesterday either :(

Pretty, Marisa. :clap :clap

I deep sixed the book I was reading after the first 100 pages. I was bored. It's one I read a long time ago, but just could not get into it this time around. I started one by Jude Devereux instead and could not put it down. At 12:30 this morning I made myself stop or I would have been up until I finished it. It's the first time I've read one of Jude's books, but if they are all as well written as this one, I've found myself another super good author. Don't know if this will fit in any of the categories but it's sure good.

Archived