2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Good morning ladies !

Welcome to Lorraine and Aurora !! :)

Always good to greet new people . (And another Kindle owner added !! ) We have lots of people in here who have them or nooks.

We'd love to have you along for the ride, so I will go make your names clickable -- follow directions on first post to track your progress ,so it's all in one place. That will make it much easier to keep track of what you have completed throughout the year .

I see Jude has posted another new crochet project too,so all of you should have stuff to keep you occupied in both categories !

I started another book last night -- this one on my kindle . I was gonna read the second book to the last one I completed,but it was pretty depressing,so I moved on to another one .

Hope you all are getting time to start wading through some books and getting your small crochet projects completed .

Enjoy your day, stay safe and warm ! :yes

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This item may just come in handy for lots of you folks ! Make sure to check it out ! I think it'd be a pretty quick pattern to complete,and will be interested to see it in the felted version,too !

*** For those loving dogs ,or interested in reading more about autism, the book I completed the other day ( Driving with Dead People ), the author has a new book about her autistic son,and the pup they bought for him . Looks like a very good story . :yes

Cowboy & Wills by Monica Holloway --make sure to watch the video about it ! Looks VERY good !

http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Wills-Story-Monica-Holloway/dp/1416595031

Hi gang

We are probably all very familiar with Dr Seuss books .

Did you know his first book was rejected 27 times before it was finally published ?

The book was "And to Think I Saw It on Mulberry St . "

I think my favorite Dr Seuss book was Green Eggs & Ham . I think I read that about 279 times to my grandson when he was small .

He also LOVED What was I Scared Of ? I had never even heard of this one before til I found it for him. It's a very small book,and a little silly, but VERY cute story .

http://www.amazon.com/What-Scared-Little-Dipper-Books/dp/0679885404/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293528035&sr=8-2

What is YOUR favorite Dr Seuss book ? :think

My favorite Dr. Seuss Book is The Cat in the Hat followed by Oh the Places You'll Go- the latter which I gave to each of my DD's for their college graduation!

Welcome to Aurora and Lorraine!!! Great to have more and more people joining this FUN CAL

Wish I could stay and "chat", but I've got to get ready to go back to Paradise for another day- but at least it's only a 3 day week!!!!!

See you all later!

Take care today, Cindy and Joanne....CU later!

Judy- I love the project (of course it helps that the designer shares my name-:lol:lol)

Ha!:lol:lol

How much bigger do you think we need to make it to felt it? I have the Patons Classic Wool that I've been dying to use to try my hand at felting and this would be PERFECT!!!! So excited!!!!:hug:hug

I'm going to start it today, and I have Patons wool, too. I was going to start with a K hook and see how big the first round or two look to see if I wanted to go up another hook size or more....the felting part is controllable, so even if the wool - prefelted - version isn't too huge, you don't have to felt it to death...don't want it to be a doll purse:lol

Hi CrochetVille Peoples ! :clap

I am looking to sign up for some CAL's in 2011 and would like to join you here!

Santa gave me a Kindle (well really I gave myself a Kindle :yes ) and I'm ready to use it!

So- I saw the snowflake patterns for January and I will probably make 2.

For a book made into a movie- I'm thinking Riding the Bus With My Sister.

I've been wanting to read it for awhile and this gives me a good chance.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome!! I have a Nook...love it! It's also way too easy to order books for it:lol:lol:lol:lol

Is it too late to join in on this........this sounds like a lot of fun!!!

Welcome to you, too!

Lorraine - welcome to another Kindler! I'd be lost without mine. I hope you love yours as much.

Myblueangels - how could it be too late to join? It's not even 2011 yet! We just couldn't wait to get started.

I'll have to take a look at the new pattern. Sounds good. But LOL - I feel like I'm already behind! Thank goodness January has 31 days!

The new pattern is just if you're bored...;)some of the ladies have already made the snowflake part of the Jan challenge so I thought I would toss something else out there.

All of the suggestions for projects are just that: suggestions. Many of us, myself included, often need a little push:D...which is why Julie came up with the idea for this thread:)

*** For those loving dogs ,or interested in reading more about autism, the book I completed the other day ( Driving with Dead People ), the author has a new book about her autistic son,and the pup they bought for him . Looks like a very good story . :yes

Cowboy & Wills by Monica Holloway --make sure to watch the video about it ! Looks VERY good !

http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Wills-Story-Monica-Holloway/dp/1416595031

Hmmmm....I went to the link...and then "looked inside". Good thing they have that feature - I wouldn't be able to read it:(

Hi gang

Did you know his first book was rejected 27 times before it was finally published ?

You would be amazed at the many successful authors who went through tons of rejections before being published. One of my writing books has a list (Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul, I think it is...)

I LOVED readign Green Eggs and Ham to our son! I think I still remember parts of it...and that's going back over 30 years!:lol

Did you know Dr. Suess wrote "The Cat in the Hat" as a controlled-vocabulary reader? It uses only 100 different words. Someone challenged him to write a book using only 50 words, and thus was conceived...Green Eggs and Ham. That's why it's so repetitious.

My favorite was always, "The Cat in the Hat Came Back"--the one with the pink spot that gets bigger and bigger until it takes over everything, until the little z-cat with "voom" in its hat blows everything into order. I could use some of that voom stuff...

Hi gang

The book was "And to Think I Saw It on Mulberry St . "

I think my favorite Dr Seuss book was Green Eggs & Ham . I think I read that about 279 times to my grandson when he was small .

He also LOVED What was I Scared Of ? I had never even heard of this one before til I found it for him. It's a very small book,and a little silly, but VERY cute story .

http://www.amazon.com/What-Scared-Little-Dipper-Books/dp/0679885404/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293528035&sr=8-2

Green Eggs and Ham. Hands down. My kids loved having me read it to them.

I never had kids so pretty much missed the Dr. Seuss books, though I've read a few. I remember Green Eggs and Ham was fun. I'd forgotten about the book that makes you cry question. I always cry when they bury Dobby the House Elf. Can't help it - LOL.

I finished an audio book last night and haven't decided on the next yet. I think I'll move on to the January categories for that. I'm finishing up a "child" book on the Kindle. I haven't been reading much the last few days.

Would you believe that at the moment maintenance is putting a new front door on my apartment? It's a bit chilly in here! Off to put on socks....

Edited to add - no, it's FREEZING in here! About 15 more minutes without a front door, if all goes well. It's 40 outside. And inside now!

Hi, I just joined today as I suddenly found a lot of visitors to my blog from here.

I'm the one who wrote the book bag pattern, and I'm pleased that it is being used. if there's any problems with it please let me know if I can be of help.

http://madebyjoanne.blogspot.com/2009/08/have-book-will-travel-crochet-project.html

and thanks for pointing out that it fits an e-reader, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking of felting one as well, but have still never got round to trying felting.

Good morning!!

my favorite Dr Seuss....? hmm, what DON'T I love? lol

probably Hop on Pop. My brother and I call my Dad - POP. so it was almost written for us.

and my new nephew, Max is a Dr. Seuss baby (SIL is a bit obsessed).

Hi, (made by)Joanne! I see you found us right away! I love the pattern....just going to make the strap shorter for me. I just started making one with wool and a 9 mm hook. I started with a smaller one, but think this might wrok better. I'll share my results over the next couple of days!

Karen

Yep, I remember the pink stuff that covered everything . He had such a way with telling his stories,that you were actually sympathizing with the kids-- the panic they had about getting everything cleaned up before their mom came home !

How are you feeling today?

Donna

Yep-it'd be a might bit chilly for them to take your door off and put on a new one !

Hi there Linda, Christine and Jude !!!

And hello Joanne, good to have you stop in ! Very cute little book bag you made there .Several in the group have kindles and nooks,so it will be handy for any of them, I think . Thank you for sharing your pattern with us .

Hi, I just joined today as I suddenly found a lot of visitors to my blog from here.

I'm the one who wrote the book bag pattern, and I'm pleased that it is being used. if there's any problems with it please let me know if I can be of help.

http://madebyjoanne.blogspot.com/2009/08/have-book-will-travel-crochet-project.html

and thanks for pointing out that it fits an e-reader, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking of felting one as well, but have still never got round to trying felting.

Welcome to Crochetville, Joanne. :welcome That's a neat pattern and one I'll probably to trying out before too long. :D

Welcome Joanne from another Joanne!!!

your blog is great and I love this pattern. I'm going to try it in wool also and try felting for the first time. I'm going to let Judy try it first and then she can give me all her tips:devil

Had a very long day in Paradise and just settling in and the night is almost over!! Another busy day tomorrow- for such a short work week- it's going to be long!!!

Hope everyone is well and I can't wait to start the snowflakes and the book bag! Probably this weekend!!!

And Judy, I'll be waiting patiently to hear how the bag works up in the wool and felting!:hook:devil

Morning folks

Been very quiet in here lately .Maybe everyone is still busy from the holiday,with another to follow this weekend. We never do anything to celebrate it ,so it's just another day to us .

I hope you can all jump in once the weekend is over -- then we can all get some serious reading and crocheting done .

I am almost done with another book -- not sure if I have a category for it, but if not, I will put it at the bottom of my list .

I havent read this much in years . Will stop in later --

Hey everyone :hi

Sorry I've been MIA over the holidays, but hopefully will be back on track this week :xfin I still haven't started my snowflakes or a new book :eek I have to go check out january's categories again because I forget what they are :blush

I hope everyone had a wonderful, safe, and happy holiday :hug

I am reading a book right now- U is for Untertow (Sue Grafton). I picked up the paperback while Christmas shopping. I'm finding that spending some time reading at the end of the day is helping take my mind off things.

And while I'm straightening up the house today I'll pull out the supplies to get started on a snowflake or two. Maybe I'll even start one today!

Archived