2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Second thoughts on the categories:

Maybe I'll just add a "leftovers" at the bottom of the list. Over the course of the year most of them will probably be able to find homes somewhere in the list.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Donna

It's totally fine with me if you copy and paste my page onto yours . Won't bother me a bit !

And if you want to add a list at the bottom with books that don't fit any category, that's totally ok too .

The categories aren't really mandatory,just more or less as a guidline to make it a little more fun ,but any book at all is fine,even if it doesnt fit anyplace else .

And I'm very proud of you for trying a Michener novel .I REALLY enjoy his books. I hope you will too .

Last night I listened to Dickens' Christmas Carol, an audiobook read by Simon Prebble. I don't use the word "awesome" lightly, it was an awesome narration. I was so glad I believed the reviewers and got that one. I had never actually read the book, or mini-book (the reading was about three hours). It was wonderful. I may have to listen to again tonight while I crochet.

Donna

That sounds like it was really enjoyable . I love Dicken's books -- he sounded like quite an entertaining person ,the way he described the characters in his book .

I've only ever attempted one audio-book and fell asleep listening to it .

My kindle has the text to speech feature (not available on all books ),and I tried listening to it one night,but it is still in the phase of trying to improve it, I think .

Anyhow ,you can choose whether a man or lady reads it to you ,and I tried both. It drove me bonkers because they mis-pronounced words ,and they had no emotion while reading,so it was like the Robot on Lost in Space was reading to me .

I still like my kindle and wouldnt trade it for any other item in my house,but I don't like their speech feature. Maybe they will gradually improve it somehow. I'm not sure if they can or not .

I don't like the text to speech function either. I know some people on another forum posted that they loved it and used it all the time, but it made me crazy, for the same reasons. I found I had to listen so hard just to follow while my brain translated that it wasn't worth the effort. It was way too much work.

I have fallen asleep with an audiobook too, which is a pain because my MP3 player can only go back in big chunks. On the Kindle you can back it up in 30 second increments, but it's not as convenient to use.

I just wish audible.com would stop having such alluring sales. Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon shopping their "20% off members price" on every title sale. I only looked at the really cheap ones, and still came up with 15. I can't download them until I take my computer into work - I only have pokey dial up at home, but we have high speed wireless there. I spent another $55, but there are some really substantial books in it. The prize was Anna Karenina for 3.76, with a narrator that got high praise from the reviewers. I had to say I had LOTS of fun shopping! When I can get audiobooks for under $5, I'm going to toss my sales resistance out the window. I've become totally addicted to them.

:sheepxmas:wreath:mdustMERRY CHRISTMAS :mdust

Sorry I haven't stop by often but like everyone I have been so busy. I'm still working on my snowflakes and I'm only half way done with one of them. I am reading my second book at the moment by Heather Grahma call "Home in time for Christmas". I never read a Dickens book and will probably put that on my one day to do list. Have a Safe and Merry Holiday.

I had to have work done on my car this morning and took a bunch of snowflakes with me and managed to hide the tails on 10 of them in addition to finishing a scarf. How's that for multitasking? :lol :lol Once I have all three of the January snowflakes done in the size 30 thread, I'll post a picture of them with a quarter so you can get a good size comparison. :lol :lol

It's officially Christmas here now, so Merry Christmas to everyone, and happy holidays for everyone who celebrates a different holiday or just loves a mid-winter festival.

I hope there is hot cocoa in your plans -- it would be such a shame to waste any excuse!

Merry Christmas to everyone here, old friends and new

I hope you have a day filled with things you love to do . :manyheart

May you have yarn in your basket ,waiting for you :yarn

And a pile of books calling to you .:book

May your year ahead be filled with joy

And may you spread that to others to enjoy . :ghug

You don't need to do much to brighten someone's day

Just a smile or hello can do more than words can say :waving

The purpose of this group is to have fun

But at next year's end, it will be to help someone .:knit

So read your books, crochet your projects

Enjoy each and every one . :crocheting

Remember in the end,

You will be helping someone .:tup

Keep track through the year of all that you do .:nbook

So next December, we can donate our coins to help others ,too .:2c

Happy Holidays, ladies ! And however you choose to celebrate today:2magic

I wish you all the best ,and a peace filled holiday.:earth

Good morning!! Merry Christmas to ALL!!!!!

:ctree:sheepxmas:wreath:wreath:santa:gift

Thank you Julie for that wonderful poem!!!! Just love it!!!:manyheart

Wishing you all a wonderful day whatever it is you have planned. I downloaded Dickens The Christmas Carol to my Nook- another freebie!!! I plan to spend a little time today finishing up the book I'm currently reading and then that leaves me a week to squeeze in a "Christmas" book!!!

Thanks all for the gift of your friendship! :hug

Merry Christmas - again:lol

I went outinto the yard with Sparkie around 6 AM and heard children screeching loudly next door.:think

half hour later I heard the kids on their back deck and peeked through my blinds to see them prancing around with a very tiny puppy.

Good news if it were me, but I hope they thought it through - this time. About 4 years ago, and at Christmas, they got a golden retriever puppy. Within a month it was given away.:(

I'm afrraid I would have run threm through a million questions before telling them if I thought it was a good idea or not.

I REALLY hope it works out.

:sheepxmas:wreath:mdustMERRY CHRISTMAS :mdust

Sorry I haven't stop by often but like everyone I have been so busy. I'm still working on my snowflakes and I'm only half way done with one of them. I am reading my second book at the moment by Heather Grahma call "Home in time for Christmas". I never read a Dickens book and will probably put that on my one day to do list. Have a Safe and Merry Holiday.

I liked Heather's book....:)

I had to have work done on my car this morning and took a bunch of snowflakes with me and managed to hide the tails on 10 of them in addition to finishing a scarf. How's that for multitasking? :lol :lol Once I have all three of the January snowflakes done in the size 30 thread, I'll post a picture of them with a quarter so you can get a good size comparison. :lol :lol

A quarter?:eek:eek:eek

Good morning everyone, and:ctree Merry Christmas!:ctree

I got a Nook color for Christmas!!!!! (and I didn't even ask for it!)

Julie your poem iS terrific.

Judy, hopefully the neighbor kids are more mature and mom is less busy with them after four years, so maybe the time is right for a puppy.

Judy- Hoping that 4 years later, they are a little wiser!!! So many times you hear about kids getting puppies or kittens for Christmas and once the novelty wears off, they are given away.

Cindy- How cool that you got a Nook color!!! Exciting- you must have been a very good girl!:lol I hope Santa brought one to Cheeria too! I know how much she was hoping for a Nook!

I finished my book- Mystic River by Dennis Lehane! Finally!!! :)

Morning Jude

I'm with you, I hope the neighbors learned their lesson about what a responsibility it is to take good care of a pet .

Merry Christmas Shana -- good to see you today !

Joanne --- good job finishing your book,wasn't it good ??? Enjoy your day --

Cindy

Wow, a color Nook ! Good gift,and I agree, you must have been good this year !

:wreath Wishing all of you a very blessed Christmas! :wreath

We are planning a quiet day today. On my agenda are sewing, reading, and crocheting. And maybe some baking, too. No snow here yet, but it is in the forecast and my joints say it's a definite possibility.

Safe journeys to those who are traveling.

I think my best gift is all of the friends I have here in Crochetville. I feel that I have family near and far in all of you. :hug

Julie- Yes, the book was a good one- I'm going to give it to my DD to read when she comes over later today. I have another one of his books The Given Day that I plan on reading soon.

Hope all that are getting a white Christmas are safe! We are forecasted to get snow tomorrow into Monday. My DD said they had a little bit of snow in Va this morning when they were driving to her BF's sister's. It stopped, but she said it looks like they'll be getting more. I'm glad that they aren't planning on traveling home until Tuesday!

All of you getting serious winter weather, stay safe and warm. We have heavy overcast with a lot of wind, and it's normally cold for us, 41, which, I know, would be positively balmy where some of you live! You'd be out in shorts.

It's sounds like a lot of reading and crocheting is on the communal agenda today. I promise to do my part. I've got a big pot of beef vegetable soup started to go with it. Yummm.

Thanks for all the greetings, and the unexpected poem!

Hi, ladies!

Good morning everyone, and:ctree Merry Christmas!:ctree

I got a Nook color for Christmas!!!!! (and I didn't even ask for it!)

A color Nook!!!!!!Wow!!!!

Judy, hopefully the neighbor kids are more mature and mom is less busy with them after four years, so maybe the time is right for a puppy.

I sure hope so....

Archived