I'm so broken hearted :-(

heavenlypurple1

Awhile ago I made several gloves and scarves for a fundraiser for breast cancer. I gave them to my co-worker who was in charge of this fundraiser and then I discovered that she didn't even bother using them. The box was still sitting in the same spot she told me to put it. So then I confronted her about it and she said that she didn't think those were going to sell. Alot of my friends ask me to make stuff for them and they usually help pay for supplies and yarn and they usually do so way ahead of time to give me time to make them. What upsets me is the fact that I made several of these and spent alot of money on the yarns .. not to mention that it took so much time to make them. So then I asked for them back so I can donate them to people who I know will use them and she said she's saving them for next years fundraiser. I told her no I would rather donate them to a homeless shelter or something now because when the holidays come it's going to be freezing and they will use them regardless.

I understand how you feel. I think your co-worker was wrong not to include them in the fundraiser. I think donating them to a great cause is something that your co-worker will understand. Maybe she will come around yet. I would hate to see them put away for another year when they could be quite useful this year.

Oh my goodness, that is sad! :hug hugs to you:hook

I guess she must have thought they were pretty nice if she thought they would sell next year! that doesn't make too much sense:think that she thougth they wouldn't sell this year but would next year. maybe she was going to sneak them out of the box and wear them herself in the meantime:lol

But really don't let somebody's opinion get to you. It's too bad she didn't appreciate them, but it's her loss.

I'm sure you can easily find a charity that will want pretty and warm things. :wangel

Good for you for taking it back! I was going to suggest that. Don't feel bad - she obviously has no respect for the arts and the time and effort you put into it! Give them to someone who will enjoy them!!

:think I agree that it doesn't make sense that she'd want to save them for next year after not even trying to sell them this year. Personally, I think she forgot about them and was too embarrassed to say so. :shrug

But yes, I think you were right to reclaim them and donate them to a worthy cause. They were intended as charitable items, and somebody will appreciate them this winter.

Next year when she asks for something to sell, tell her you will donate directly. I wouldn't make anything else for the sale if I were you. She had her chance. :P

:hugI'm sorry she did this.

I agree that you were right in taking them back. Someone will enjoy them this winter.

I also agree that next year you say you'll donate directly in cash.

Of if you want, find a fundraiser that appreciates your crocheting and you can't donate this year because of other fundraising assignment and you're busy and all your funds are spread out among them. Or you can do some early in the year and when she asks, you say, "I've done my fundriasing for the year, if I can manage it I may be able to donate some cash...". Or just say, "sorry I'm not able to this year." and leave it at that.

I've seen this happen and it makes me so mad that I have to go somewhere else before I say something and get in trouble with Karol. It really chaps my hide to see all that hard work and generosity of heart go unappreciated.

She didn't forget about them, she said pretty much that she didn't think that they would sell. She doesn't do arts and crafts so she doesn't understand all the work that goes into it. It's been decided that I will from now on only donate cash for work fundraisers, I will continue to make stuff for shelters, coats for kids etc....... because I know it will get used. She didn't understand why I got upset though :-(

That would pull my heartstrings too honey!

You never know what will sell and when for these types of things and for her not to give them a chance is not right especially when you put all that work into them!

I make shawls for the Relay for Life - and I got a sweet note from a lady who was the recipient of one as a gift. She was fighting cancer and her friend went to the relay - saw the shawls - picked one out for her and once she got it she wore it all thru treatment and says she still takes it out to wrap up in and just had to send me a note to tell me so --

People DO buy these handmade things for those they know as gifts not just for themselves but special "somebodies" in their lives....

Keep making and giving but definitely make sure of the who,how,when,where and why portions.

That must have been so upsetting to put all that work into the gloves and scarves and then find out that they were never used. I think it was good that you took them back. She doesn't deserve to have them for the fundraiser next year.

I'm sure that whoever gets them will enjoy them.

So sorry this happened to you. Glad you took them back. I know the homeless will appreciate them. I think you are right that in the future all you will donate to work charities is money. There are other charities and people that will really appreciate the work that goes into crocheting something.

When I first started reading your note, my reaction was she needs to get them back! I'm so glad you did and so sorry for this bad experience. Knowing what you know now, no more fundraising dealings with the co-worker.

They will be cherished and used wherever you donate them.

:hug

I'm very sorry this happened to you. I can only imagine how you felt. So much of our hearts go into what we do that some people just don't realize. I'm glad you're getting them back so you can donate them where they are needed now. Sending you hugs... :hug

Oh my goodness...it's possible that she forgot, but it's also very possible that she really didn't think they would sell but didn't know how to tell you that upfront, especially since you went to the trouble of making them all.

I just got done with our local Relay for Life a couple of months ago. My personal fundraiser within my team was to crochet little Cinderella shoes in thread. I called them Ginger's Shoes, since our theme was Gilligan's Island. Before I went to the trouble of making nearly 50 of them, I made one sample and showed them to my team and asked their opinion. They liked them, and they set the price (which ended up being too much...but it's all a learning experience...) I did sell probably 1/2 of them, but the thing is, people are fickel...what sounds like a good idea at the time, 6 months later may not seem like a good idea...

The one thing that really hurt though was that they all made a bigger deal about a decorate a plate fundraiser within our team and then when the event happened, didn't bother to do it at all, but on the handout listing all the fundraisers, that one was listed and mine wasn't and as it turned out, mine was the only fundraiser our team had...sure wasn't feeling appreciated at that point...still you do what you can and you try not to let things like this get to you. I actually broke down in tears at the event, for a minute...I'm not suppose to be doing any of this for my personal gain, thanks or appreciation...I am suppose to not think of myself in the equation...I made something to raise money for the fight against cancer, I made some money...it's all good in the end.

Now, having said all that, in our Relay, it was only our 2nd year and we are still learning what works, what doesn't...and I'm learning what I will do and won't do.

If you ever get the hankering to do something for fundraising efforts, make a sample first and then only make a small amount, if they are successful, you can always make more...but what your co worker did was not right and honestly what was really offensive to me was when she still wanted to keep them "for next year..." Yeah right, she just got done saying she didn't think they would sell and that's why she didn't use them (and why she couldn't have just approached you with the box of stuff and told you that ahead of time is beyond me...)

Hang in there...you did a good thing in making them in the first place and if you donate them, that will be a good thing too.

I am sorry this happened.

Maybe the scarves are just MEANT to go to those who will appreciate them the most.

They must be needed more at the shelters than the fundraiser.

Your work will be loved, it was not for nothing.

• 1 month later...

So sorry to here what happen to you. I think now that you have them back that you should take them to your local hospital cancer treatment center and donate them to ladies that are going thru this hard time in their lives. They would so much enjoy getting them. May you be blessed for all that you do. :-)

Good for you for telling her that you were taking them back to be put to good use. You made them to help let someone know that you care, not to sit in a box. I know the cancer treatment center near me loves it when I walk in with hats, scarves or whatever I might have made. One time a patient saw me heading to the donation box & thanked me & called me an angel. That still makes me smile. It's why we do what we do.

Archived