Multi Colored Bird Tote

TheKnottyMale

I started graphing out the design on December 23rd and finally finished this one in early May. I started out with a 2 color bag. As I worked my graph, I noticed that I was making some really bad mistakes. Like a dummy, I graphed out my design on plain graph paper. I KNEW better than to do this! I've been doing tapestry for years now and I know that what looks right on normal graph paper does not always look right once it's tapestry crocheted. I ended up having to pull out 18 rounds of work. I managed to get about 7 or 8 of those rounds back on and noticed that the heads weren't idential and neither were that tails. I was REALLY getting frustrated by then.

In the meanwhile, my good friend Sally suggested "why not make one multi-colored. Your so good at tapestry anyway and you know how to carry more than 2 colors at the same time" so that's jsut what I did. I made the tote that you see and I also finished the 2 colored one. I will post a picture of that bag as soon as I remeber where I put those pictures. I don't think that they are in my hard drive right now.

This tote is really big. It's 22H X 17W X 9.5D. There is a zippered pocket in the side of the bag and there is also a zippered closure at the top. The straps are not an afterthought. They are crocheted as the final rounds of the bag are completed. The yarn gets pretty tangled during this process, but I really like the way the interlocking handles fold the bag at the top. I had to use robe hooks (yes... robe hooks) in place of bag cleats. I could not find one single store that had any - not even the size commonly used for purses either!

This bag will be making a home in Glendale AZ very soon! A friend of mine (who lives in AZ) is matting/framing an old piece of art and paying the shipping to send it to me in exchange for the bag. The artwork is a family heirloom that's been around since 1983.

Bob

Oh my!! I love birds and I love what you've done with them! I have never done tapestry crochet, but your work sure has me wanting to give it a try -Beautifully done, Bob!!

Here's the 2 colored bag. I wish the colors had turned out better in the picture. I used Red Heart Super Saver's Shocking Pink to make this one. That color is extremely brilliant! The photo shows that mistakes that continued to make throughout this bag. When I ripped back the 18 rounds, it was because it looked like "chunks" were missing out of the birds back where the body curves upward to create the tail.

I thought I had the problem solved, but still didn't. As you can see, all of the heads aren't identical and neither are the tails. I didn't make this problem with the multi-colored bag. One thing that I wish I had done was to take away the some of the brown background colored stitches and change them to the appropriate bird color so that the birds have more of an overlapping appearance. I didn't realize it was happening until it was too late and I didn't want to start all over again. My graph has the corrections made to it already so now all I have to do it retreive the graph whenever I'm ready to make another bag with this design on it. I don't any notes when I'm making a base because I never know what I want to make. Square? Round? Oval?.... who knows :hook

They're FABULOUS....as I have said many times before.....lol!!

You're quite an inspiration Bob, believe me I would have NEVER tried TC if not for you.....thanks a million!!

Thank you for all of the compliments :)

Sally, if it had not been for you even mentioning the idea of a multi colored bag, I would have never made this one. Thanks again for putting the idea in my head.

Now I just need to make one for myself LOL!!

YES YOU DO!!!!

Everyone has a Bob bag, except Bob!!

I still tote my patriotic stars bag around all the time. It's amazing to me how far you've come. Compare that one to this......impressive!! I love that you're willing to challenge yourself like this. This bag is well worth the mat/frame and shipping charges, your friend is getting your best work yet!!

Archived