Multi Colored Bird Tote

TheKnottyMale

There is no pattern for this motif, but if you are interested, there is another 3 stranded bird bag pattern that IS available. It's called An Oval Purse That's "For The Birds." The pattern is in the book titled More Tapestry Crochet by Carol Ventura.

I've worked the pattern before, but didn't make a full sized bag. Instead, I reduced the size of the starting chain and made a small messenger bag with a very long strap. You can see a picture of the orginal sized bag at Carol Ventura's Flickr page. If you look closely at the picture, you will notice that there are 4 different styles of birds. 2 of the 4 birds are in white - the other 2 are red and blue.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14714525@N02/1939848530/

Bob

Just one word - WOW. Although because so many of us have said that, you probably feel like you are in an echo chamber. I love both of the bags and find it hard to believe there is anything at all wrong with either one. Your work is truly amazing.

Now, to welcome you to Crochetville. :wavingHowdee from Nashville, TN and :welcome to Crochetville. You will :heart it here. I do. :-) By the way, Carol Ventura makes her home here in Tennessee. I have not had the good fortune to meet her but I so admire her work. :ty for sharing yours.

Wonderful design and execution. (I'm very partial to bird motifs anyway.) I love the idea of swapping. Awhile back I traded an afghan I'd made to an acquaintance for coming over and doing a custom silk flower arrangement for my home, since I'm all thumbs with flower arranging. Are you going to post a photo of the artwork when you get it?

Curves are tricky, rather than smooth, they are made in a more "faceted" fashion. Like putting segmented lines together to create a design. Danielle Kassner a.k.a laracroft, fashioned a small bag and called it her Garden Pouch. There are 2 photos of the bag in the January 2008 archive of Carol Ventura's blog. Here's the link. You will have to scroll down the page a bit.

http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/blog/?m=200801

The easiest way to create a succesful floral motif is to use a special graph paper that is specifically used for making things "in the round." There is also a flat tapestry paper, but that's entire different subject. If the pattern was being put into a round bag, that wouldn't be a problem. You are able to start the strap anywhere on the last round. Trying to put a single floral motif (say a motif of one bunch of flowers made in an arrangement - like flowers tied together with a ribbon maybe??) onto a flat or oval bag would be a lot more complex. As you work in the round, the pattern shifts slightly to the right with each round (or left if you are a lefty.) Not compensating for this slant would result in a motif that would not be centered on the bag. There are 4 super informative videos to watch at Carol's tapestry crochet webpage (not her blog). Here is the link http://tapestrycrochet.com/

Here is a clipped piece of what "in the round" graph paper looks like. Tapestry Crochet Graph Paper for Right-Handed Rounds This is what the one for lefties looks like Tapestry Crochet Graph Paper for Left-Handed Rounds

Carol's free Kitty Bag pattern is a great one for a first time project. The more you do it, the more your stitches improve. :hook

• 9 months later...

Archived