Christmas 2010 - 12 months of Crochet Christmas Caroling

Colleenka

OMGoodness, it's 41 degrees here tonight and I'm complaining up a storm! I HATE it when the temperature goes below 50! In fact when it hits 60 I break out my hoodie for walking the dog! :lol

I grew up in New Jersey where the winters in recent years have become horrible, snow-drifted, months-long nightmmares, but after all these years in south Texas, I've become a total lightweight. My husband calls me a "weather weenie". :lol And it only took me about three years of living down here to get this way! Almost immediately after removing myself from the winters in the northeast I totally lost my tolerance for the cold.

:lol weather weenie, that's funny! It's -11 celsius here this morning. It's all good, so long as you can stay inside!

Ooooh Colleen, that is just breathtaking!! Have I ever mentioned that I :manyheart snow! And yes, I even liked it when I lived in it and had to shovel, etc. :yes Very pretty pictures!

Beth, your mitts are so pretty! They look very comfy.

redhead54- your mitts are too cute! Love the snowflakes. :manyheart

I finished my hat! :clap It only took 2 hours this morning, and another half-hour tonight to weave ends. The top came out a bit too long somehow :think but it is still cute enough, IMO. Will post pics maybe tomorrow night, after dd's party.

I'm glad you liked the pics, Stacy. I think you miss Michigan...just a little bit? Can't wait to see that hat!

Ana and Beth your fingerless mitts are great.

Colleen your pics are beautiful but I'm with some of the other ladies. I lived in NJ and upstate NY for several years as a kid but I've been in south Florida for almost 33 years and the 47 degrees that I woke up to this morning is toooo cold.:wbrr

I finished my doll hats last night, I'll have to post pics later.

Ok time to finish checking the other posts and then it's time to undecorate. I'll stop by again later, have a great day.

47 is cold for South Florida! :eek Can't wait to see your doll hats!

I am terrible about never finishing things I commit myself to, so I have never joined a CAL. Since my NEw YEar's resolution is 'Try new things' I thought I would give it a go! Besides! This is an ADORABLE idea! I love the non-restrictiveness of it and seeing how everyone's minds process the lyrics!

Welcome jennawing! I'm glad you are going to try new things with us! Can't wait to see your ami's. I think you'll find lots of opportunities to make ami's in this and future carols.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are very pretty! I love the way blue looks on white. :yes

It got much worse last night. It was -2 (Fahrenheit). It was somewhere around -15 with wind chill. It has to get pretty darn cold for it to bother me. Last night was one of those nights.

I went with four friends to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie. We didn't get out of there until almost midnight. It was darn cold, but the movie was good and worth it.

I love snow, too! We have gotten very little snow here this year. Less than three inches all season (not counting the end of last winter). Way to go on the hat! I'd love to see pics one they are available.

Glad you enjoyed your movie! Can't wait to see your Bico. What colour are you using? What type of yarn? Nicole, I have to ask about the Team Canada picture in your avatar--what's the story?

I think I'll start making a winter wonderland. Years ago I ordered the green & white tree kit from Herrschner's but lost the pattern. So many people have asked me for one since then, so when the kit was on sale recently I ordered it so I could have the pattern. I have enough yarn to make several, plus what's in the kit. I found several mini light sets in the holiday clearance at Walmart so I can add lights to them as well.

I can't wait to see those trees!

Just a quick update everyone. At Amy's request, there will no longer be song lyrics posted in post #2 because they are copyrighted. I will just be posting the song title and we will each search for the lyrics ourselves if we don't know them by heart. For more fun, you could listen to the song--keep those Christmas CD's handy all year long or add each month's song to your IPod or MP3 player:lol I'm sure we'll all agree that we must respect copyright laws! I expect most of the carols I have chosen will be well-known to most of us.

Thanks everyone and happy crocheting! :crocheting

I'm in on this one! I haven't committed to what pattern yet, but probably something with a snowman. Love this idea! You ladies are way ahead of the game.:cheer At this rate, you could do maybe three or four things for January.:yes:yay

Question? I am making those stuffable snowballs with cotton yarn. Do you think I can shove a balloon in them to starch them so they keep their shape? And what do you ladies use to stiffen yarn? (as I have never done it before)

Yep, you can use a balloon for stiffening. You can get liquid starch (that's what I use) at any craft store, or you can use the old fashioned sugar starch method. Just google sugar starch for doilies for the recipe.

After your project is dry, you can spray it with any cheap hairspray to keep it looking fresh!

... I can't wait to see your pictures!:D

Thanks for the compliments, Ladies. That pattern (gloves) is a really quick one.

I'm enjoying all the pics for the other projects being posted and can't wait for this cal to really take off so I can see more. It's fun to see how other people interpret the songs.

Have a good crochet day.....it's a good day to stay in with the cold outside!!!

Glad you enjoyed your movie! Can't wait to see your Bico. What colour are you using? What type of yarn? Nicole, I have to ask about the Team Canada picture in your avatar--what's the story?

I definitely don't mind questions! It's really not a story...I love hockey and Michael Bublé. So a picture of him in a hockey uniform just kind of does it for me! :blush

I'm using Homespun on the main part of the BICO. The color is "Cream". I'm going to use a green color for the trim. I'll definitely post pictures. :yes

Question? I am making those stuffable snowballs with cotton yarn. Do you think I can shove a balloon in them to starch them so they keep their shape? And what do you ladies use to stiffen yarn? (as I have never done it before)

I use liquid starch, but I know there are instructions on the internet on using water and glue. Might want to give that a try.

I'm in on this one! I haven't committed to what pattern yet, but probably something with a snowman. Love this idea! You ladies are way ahead of the game.:cheer At this rate, you could do maybe three or four things for January.:yes:yay

Welcome! I wish I could get three or four Christmas gifts done a month! Unfortunately, there are always other projects that have to get tossed into the mix. So many crochet patterns and so little time...

I did end up starting on the BICO today. I'm about half done with it. I'll likely finish it up this evening since it's such a quick pattern.

Chat with y'all later!

Nicole, what size is your BICO? I really want to try one, but I'm scared. I have so much pretty Homespun though. Hmmm.....

I am so excited about this CAL! I wait all year long for Christmas! This year I was in a bit of a funk, so I'm ready to keep the spirit all year with you all!

Ok..I've finally decided...I'm making a snowman using a 2 liter bottle as the center. I'm redoing this project as it was a gift from my Gramma a few years ago in felt. The felt is looking shabby so I'm redoing the body and scarf. I have two, but I haven't decided yet if I want to tackle the second. I initially began this project using a drawstring purse pattern, but it didn't work out as planned so I've since been working without any pattern....wish me luck!

Nicole, what size is your BICO? I really want to try one, but I'm scared. I have so much pretty Homespun though. Hmmm.....

I am so excited about this CAL! I wait all year long for Christmas! This year I was in a bit of a funk, so I'm ready to keep the spirit all year with you all!

I'm doing the six month size. It's an easy pattern especially when doing the size as written. I'm going to an adult version for the Olympic games in February though. That will take some work to get the size to go up, but shouldn't be too awfully difficult.

Ok..I've finally decided...I'm making a snowman using a 2 liter bottle as the center. I'm redoing this project as it was a gift from my Gramma a few years ago in felt. The felt is looking shabby so I'm redoing the body and scarf. I have two, but I haven't decided yet if I want to tackle the second. I initially began this project using a drawstring purse pattern, but it didn't work out as planned so I've since been working without any pattern....wish me luck!

Sounds good! Can't wait to see it...good luck. You can do it. :cheer

I used an H hook (the dark blue one probably wouldn't explain it well enough...) and I crochet more loose than tight. I love this pattern!!! I did the second one joining the first 8 rows, not joining the next 3, then joining the rest so I didn't have to sew. You do know what I think about sewing, right? :yuck

Hope this helps!

Thanks Beth- this helps alot- I crochet more loose too, so I should be safe using an H hook (you know the dark blue one:lol) I feel the same as you about sewing!

Hi Mary- glad to hear from you- if your place looks like Colleen's pics, then you are in a beautiful place! I love when we get snow like that as long as I don't have to go out in it!! Or shovel it!!!

Colleenka

That was the exact pattern that i had in mind :lolI had seen a few that others had made on Ravelry and happen to have that issue. Have started one of them but just gotta do a few finishing touches Hope to post pics soon

I haven't read all the replies to this thread--so I don't know if anyone selected snowflakes yet. :think I just made 6 snowflakes yesterday and today for Christmas next year--so I guess I'm joining your CAL!!! :yes

I'm still looking for patterns for flat angels, so if anyone has one, remember me, ok? ;)

:crocheting Collette

Colleenka

That was the exact pattern that i had in mind :lolI had seen a few that others had made on Ravelry and happen to have that issue. Have started one of them but just gotta do a few finishing touches Hope to post pics soon

:yay I can't wait to see the pics of those little birds, Tanya!

I finished the BICO a little bit ago. Here are some pics! I don't have a doll the right size to show it off being worn. :(

Nicole - That looks beautiful! Good job! It will be nice for a boy or girl.

I saw your note about your avatar. I like Michael Buble too (and Team Canada of course ;)). I like his new "Haven't met you yet"? or something like that...it's on my MP3 player.

I haven't read all the replies to this thread--so I don't know if anyone selected snowflakes yet. :think I just made 6 snowflakes yesterday and today for Christmas next year--so I guess I'm joining your CAL!!! :yes

I'm still looking for patterns for flat angels, so if anyone has one, remember me, ok? ;)

Welcome Collette! Snowflakes are popular, but like the real ones, every one is different. Can't wait to see yours! I'll keep my eyes open for flat angels. What size are you looking for? Thread or yarn?

I am closing in on the half-way point on my chakra scarf. I had to frog a few rows this afternoon after adding a stitch :bang It is working up nicely though and I am liking it. Most of all I'm loving the idea of having a Christmas gift done in January!!! :clap

http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet/Little-Angel-Crochet-Pattern

http://www.cm-crafts.com/flatyarnangel.htm

There are two for you!

Nicole your sweater is very pretty.

Collette, I would love to see the snowflakes you've made and I'll keep an eye out for angels.

Colleen, congratulations on the halfway point of your scarf, can't wait to see it finished.

Time to head out for church, I'll check in again later. Have a great day.

Here is my finished snowman. I initially used a drawstring bag pattern but when that didn't work, I went out on my own. That was my first attempt at ever going without a pattern. It isn't a complicated pattern, just a lot of increasing and decreasing with a single crochet stitch. It's all one piece over a 2 liter bottle that was lightly covered with polyfill.

The jacket, hat, and scarf came with him as he was gifted to me (as a felt body). I intend to redo his scarf and possibly try his jacket and hat.

post-23836-135897491974_thumb.jpg

post-23836-135897491979_thumb.jpg

Here is my finished snowman. I initially used a drawstring bag pattern but when that didn't work, I went out on my own. That was my first attempt at ever going without a pattern. It isn't a complicated pattern, just a lot of increasing and decreasing with a single crochet stitch. It's all one piece over a 2 liter bottle that was lightly covered with polyfill.

The jacket, hat, and scarf came with him as he was gifted to me (as a felt body). I intend to redo his scarf and possibly try his jacket and hat.

He makes me smile! You did an amazing job with him.

Archived