Wheel Stitch Afghan

CrochetDad

I recently finished a square wheel stitch baby blanket and thought I'd like a rectangular one, so I made one up.

Here's the link to the entry in my blog with the instructions:

I haven't finished the afghan yet, but I've attached a picture of the beginning. It's worked in the round, so you make it as big as you like, from baby-sized to adult-sized.

post-13211-135897439106_thumb.jpg

That looks great, and I love the concept. Since I hate making afghans, I won't be making one any time soon, but I want to share something I learned about foundations for rectangles. If you want your finished afghan to be 3' x 4', for example, your starting foundation should be the difference between the two--in this case, one foot or 12 inches.

If you think about it, it makes sense, because you are going to be adding the same dimension to each of the 4 "sides" (although the short sides are very short in the beginning). If you continue your pattern as you've begun, it's going to begin looking more square and less like a rectangle, and the final difference between your sides is only going to be the length of your foundation.

Hope that's helpful!

That looks great, and I love the concept. Since I hate making afghans, I won't be making one any time soon, but I want to share something I learned about foundations for rectangles. If you want your finished afghan to be 3' x 4', for example, your starting foundation should be the difference between the two--in this case, one foot or 12 inches.

If you think about it, it makes sense, because you are going to be adding the same dimension to each of the 4 "sides" (although the short sides are very short in the beginning). If you continue your pattern as you've begun, it's going to begin looking more square and less like a rectangle, and the final difference between your sides is only going to be the length of your foundation.

Hope that's helpful!

Karen,

Thanks for the info - both dimensions will increase by one wheel stitch as it progresses, so as I continue, the short dimension will remain only one wheel stitch (each wheel = about 2 inches) shorter than the long dimension. I may have to go back and rethink the desired size of the finished afghan, and change the foundation round.

I was going to start over anyway, because the hook I used created much too tight of a stitch. Look for an update on my blog (and here, of course).

Great job, love the colours used, but it does remind me of the wool eater blanket. Looks like another fun afghan to make

Ruthie,

Thanks!

The Wool Eater CAL is what got me interested in the stitch. You can see my first attempt over there.

I wanted a rectangular version, so this is what I came up with. I'm going to start on a tutorial for this. Of course, I'll share my results...:hook

That's a neat stitch. I don't think I've seen it before. I'm gonna be a gramma again so I will play with this pattern and make a baby blanket. Thanks.

That's a neat stitch. I don't think I've seen it before. I'm gonna be a gramma again so I will play with this pattern and make a baby blanket. Thanks.

My crochet activity increased with the arrival of my granddaughter a few years ago...

Very cool! I really like it!

I've noticed that when I want to make a full size ghan in a rectangle by rounds I need a much longer center foundation. The last grannyghan that I made with a short foundation row came out almost square. Have you run into that same problem?

Very cool! I really like it!

I've noticed that when I want to make a full size ghan in a rectangle by rounds I need a much longer center foundation. The last grannyghan that I made with a short foundation row came out almost square. Have you run into that same problem?

Yes, and thanks to the explanation by Karen, I've started over with a foundation row that is about 30 inches. Pic attached of progress...I should have the new instructions finished in a few days. Not the afghan, but the instructions :D

post-13211-135897439665_thumb.jpg

Ok CrochetDad, I love :manyheart what you have done with the Wheel Stitch and I love the look. I plan to do this one day just not soon. To much going on at the moment as I have just finished the 3rd doily and have started 2 christmas doilys but anyways.......

back to the Wheel Stitch. I love it and keep showing your updates. :yes:yes:yes

Yay, Gene--I bet you'll be a lot happier with your finished rectangle this way. I can't remember where or from whom I read that information about starting rectangles, but I filed it away as a very useful piece of information to keep--glad it helped you, too!

Archived