What will you do with yarn leftovers?

I keep having this problem where I have yarn balls leftovers from the completed projects. I often leave them alone in their bags. Once I am ready to clean up, I pack the lonely balls in the stash plastic boxes which have similar weight and fiber type.

Also, I have two huge garbage bags filled with unknown brands/fiber types of yarn. I try to wind them in balls but they keep unravelled and get in tangles with others.

Is there any good websites where they can show me how to wind yarn stash into firm balls ?

I like yarn butterflies myself for small amounts of yarn. I find that they stay tidy generally speaking.

I also keep a bag nearby and when I can do so I make granny's daughters/yoyos. I don't have a whole lot of them but I keep trying. A granny's daughter is the first round of a granny square.

This is what you can do with them when you have enough.

Hi Diane!

I use leftover scraps to make granny squares for charities.

As far as your dilemma of the balls getting tangled--I wish I had a solution. Mine get tangled too (although right now I don't have much of a stash. I'll have to keep checking this thread to see if anyone comes up with a solution.

well first ill share a lil secret i learned about just recently when you ball the yarns up place a small piece of scotch take to the end this will keep them from getting all tangled up as far as using it up we have many CALs that you could join to use it up have fun

Janny

I've been gifting a lot of yarn lately to the people I'm teaching to crochet or knit. I have 3 new students. I generally lend hooks and give leftover yarn to get them started and, hopefully, they want to continue. After they go shopping they return my hooks, and keep the yarn. One of my new students is a knitter and I've gifted her some additional new sock yarn for an upcoming project she has in mind (I bought a lot of Bernat's Sox when it was discontinued; its great for doll knits.) The rest of it, I stuff it into bags and it pretty much stays put :)

I like the tape idea of a PP, I will try that myself. I usually just keep all my yarn balls in a box. Not sure if you want ideas for projects or not but my last scrap project was a pair of pants for my dd. She loved them, and they are made entirely from scrap yarn.

3114578349_ba0ebacc7d_o.jpg

Thanks for the tips! I will keep an eye on this thread if there are more people who want to share new suggestions.

The scotch tape idea could be good. I will try it sometimes. My whole stash is rather disorganized. :blush

I already have some stash projects, such as a 3SUB WIP and probably Vertical Stitch Stripes next as a WIM. I need to finish up some WIPs before I can use up my stash. :yes

(What's new there? :lol)

I've been using up my scraps on a scrap afghan.

I had the same problem with the balls unraveling and making a mess, so I've started to put a rubber band around them, and that seems to be working well.

Someone mentioned tape. Does it hold on the yarn? I wouldn't think it would stick too well.

This past year I used almost all my left over worsted weight yarn and made a queen sized afghan for my son. I used my left over "specialty" type yarns( fuzzy fibers, chenile, things from e-bay auctions, all in earthy tones) and made a version of the shawler, used left ever homespun to make a pretty striped triangle shawl.Gave away some yarn to a new crocheter. Still have lots left: I think left over yarn is like metal clothes hangers: you start out with two and when left alone, they multiply.

somewhere on the 'ville, there is someone who takes her scrap balls and winds them together into one large ball. She makes Magic Ball Afghans with them, making them 2 strands...1 strand of a constant color and 1 strand from the "magic" multicolored ball. I think the ones she has completed are under the show n tell for afghans. If you didn't want to make an afghan you could use them to make scarves, or anything really.

I am making a scrapghan with left over yarn.......a rectangular granny square. Every round a different color. The outer rounds really eat up A LOT of yarn! And putting a bit of scotch tape on the end of the yarn to keep it from unraveling is GENIUS!

Lets see. I make squares, fridgies, bookmarks, minis or whattever my brain comes up with. If they are really little scraps I save them with my cuttings and use the for stuffing amis, pet beds, or whatever. I can usually think of something to use them .

I have also made grannies daughters, although I haven't made them into anything yet. They are in a couple of food storage bags right now. I did a 3 strand ugly blanket about a year ago, which I love. It is so warm!

I've thought about joining the ends of the smaller scraps...what's that called...a Magic Ball or something like that? I think those are really pretty. I've also considered starting a single crochet afghan with all of those little scraps. Instead of changing colors at the end of each row, I think I want to just keep going until I run out of yarn. I might have enough to do two rows of one color, and then 1/2 a row of another. I want it to have no rhyme or reason to it...just randomly select a yarn ball and add it in. I think that would work best when all of the balls of yarn are rather small-ish, though.

By the way, I read something a couple of days ago for the trimmings from weaving in ends. The article said to leave small bits of yarn and string outside on bushes in the early springtime and birds would come to collect them to help build their nests. I wonder if that would have to be natural-fiber yarns only or if you could do that with acrylic? Any wildlife experts know? I would hate to do something like that with a fiber that would harm the birds. :eek

Instead of scotch tape, pull the end of the yarn under a few wraps of your yarn ball with your hook, leaving it sticking out so it's easy to find. It won't ravel, and it's easy to un-do when you need it. I'd be afraid of tape leaving sticky residue if it's left on a while.

After I have wound my leftover yarn into a ball I have secured the end with a straight pin. Preferably one that has a beaded head and I use a contrasting color so I can see it right away. I may have to try the scotch tape idea though. Although with the straight pins you can use them over and over or for other things also.

By the way, I read something a couple of days ago for the trimmings from weaving in ends. The article said to leave small bits of yarn and string outside on bushes in the early springtime and birds would come to collect them to help build their nests. I wonder if that would have to be natural-fiber yarns only or if you could do that with acrylic? Any wildlife experts know? I would hate to do something like that with a fiber that would harm the birds. :eek

Any will do! Sparrows use all kinds of stuff including plastic wrappers and cigarette butts. Yarn would be much nicer! It won't harm the birds but also won't breakdown like plant fibers.

I have also made grannies daughters, although I haven't made them into anything yet. They are in a couple of food storage bags right now. I did a 3 strand ugly blanket about a year ago, which I love. It is so warm!

I've thought about joining the ends of the smaller scraps...what's that called...a Magic Ball or something like that? I think those are really pretty. I've also considered starting a single crochet afghan with all of those little scraps. Instead of changing colors at the end of each row, I think I want to just keep going until I run out of yarn. I might have enough to do two rows of one color, and then 1/2 a row of another. I want it to have no rhyme or reason to it...just randomly select a yarn ball and add it in. I think that would work best when all of the balls of yarn are rather small-ish, though.

I've done the continuous, random afghan with left over yarn. It actually comes out really cool. I've even mixed types of yarn (bulky, worsted, etc.) and the various textures add a really funky element.

I love the idea about giving the trimmings to the birds! I'll have to start saving my trimmings.

Archived