How were your gifts received?

Last year, I gave hat and scarf sets to my sister's teenage step-daughters. I don't believe they ever used them, judging by the looks on their faces when they opened the boxes. :( I gave the same hat and scarf set to my son's girlfriend this year, because she saw the one I was making for my swap partner. She admired it, so she got a set in pink. I hope she likes them.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made my dd's soon to be step an afghan with the understanding that I will add a color when she gets ready for it. I had only met her a couple of times, but I knew she admired the afghans that I had made for my grandson (which he refuses to share) so I wanted her to have one of her own. She wouldn't allow anyone to touch it, curled up in it and ignored her other gifts. The worrying part is what color she will pick out next? It is Aggie Mae's round ripple that already has 3 shades of purple and a variegated yarn (that was not what I really wanted, but was the only thing that the local Wal-Mart had available). She is 5. so know telling what color she will want next though she is a purple freak.

My grandson is a color freak at 22 months and is very choosy about colors and textures so he is a real "joy" to make anything for. I have learned to offer him 2 or 3 colors that I am willing to work with and let him choose from those for anything I make him. I made him a sweater with the new Caron Eco yarn and I really loved working with it. It worked up like a dream and is warm without being heavy.

Everyone loved the things I made for them.

I gave one of my friends an afghan that I crocheted when her husband passed away. I worked on it when I was sitting with everyday for a week.

I gave it to her and and she looked at me. And said oh it the one you won a ribbon at the fair. Then I said to her were did I work on it. And she looked at me and started to cry!!

I thnk that was the best!!!!!!

It made me feel good to give it to her.

everyone loved the round ripples and SIL loved the butterfly wing shawl and cody my youngest loved the starghan he was so surprised he had no idea i had made it i kept telling him i had so many to do id make his after christmas im so sneaky i am going to try to get a picture of him with it in his bed hes my morning sunshine as long as he shines each morning my world is wonderful

my mom in law loved her round ripple lapghan she was a crocheter an excellent one at that and she just loves it now I am way excited to make my list for 2009 christmas my daughter pointed to hers and said i want a scarf this color well it just so happens i have enough of that left

I hope everyone had a wonderful christmas

My BF loved her doily and quiltghan. She always goes crazy over anything I give her.

My neighbor friend is supposed to be here tonight, I made her a doily and some snowflakes for her tree. I give her ornaments every year (along with other stuff) and they are always on her tree. I made book marks (thread) for the Carolers, and still have a lot more gift giving to do later in the week. Never received negative remarks from anyone except for oldest son and his spouse. They wouldn't say it to my face, but it always got back to me from rest of family. They received pre-packaged food gift the past two years...but I did make homemade for their kids.

my neice and nephews loved their RR's my sister and BIL have now put in their orders for next year. My MIL loved her handwarmers and scarf. My other neice was more intrested in diego and dora than her handwarmers and scarf, but hey shes only 3

My niece loved her Dora Dress up doll complete with crochet clothing (Thank you Darski for your patterns:clap) My son and daughter loved their fleece tied blankets. Made them for my BIL and SIL's as well. Two in WVU material and for the other set Harley Davidson . I was actually able to find Pink Harley fleece:cheer. Aunts also liked their scarf and hat sets. Then again my aunt loves anything that is handmade. She paints so I usually get a hand painted snowman ornament from her. All in all I think that they went over very well this year. Hope all of you had a great holiday and are looking forward to the new year!

I don't think I have ever been as excited about giving gifts as I was this year. Every gift was a HUGE hit. :D My family and freinds just raved about what they got from me. It is so nice to have your work appreciated. :manyheart

Sore

Even though I already posted I had to come back and comment after reading every post here.

I'm SO happy for everyone who worked hard for months to give others something made with their own hands, to me that has LOVE stamped all over it and I hope most of the recipients will realize how much goes into most hand crafted items (planning, pattern/recipe choosing and actual work and for many of us crocheters a lot of frogging!) and will cherish them as we would like them to. Personally, I view the crocheted items I gifted as part of my little mission to spread appreciation for this wonderful craft as much as possible and make it more popular and sought after, not just "old ladies stuff", so I can't help but feel proud to see that others are contributing to "the cause". :hook

I didn't have much time to make gifts this year.

I waited until the last minute.:eek

The only hand made items I gave were a set of mini-doilies to my mom, and a big snowflake ornament to my aunt.

My mom said it was her favorite gift. She said they were beautiful.

My aunt was surprised that I'd made it myself. She went on and on about how nice it was.

I've signed up for next year's christmas CAL, so hopefully I'll have more to report next year. ;)

I started 4 crochet gifts. One of them got done and the gal who received it loved it!!! My DH's afghan did not get done, but, I gave it to him anyhoo and he is very excited about it and can't wait for it to be done. He loves it. The other 2 will have to be finished within the next few weeks and one will be mailed off and the other will stay here till my BIL and SIL move.

My mother admired a large Homespun shawl I had so I made one for her in a pretty aqua color. She seemed pretty indifferent, but everyone else loved what I made. My mother has been increasingly negative lately (she did nothing but question and criticize my younger sister on Christmas), so I figure I can't let it get to me.

I made little blanket for DGD baby doll, even sewed a duck on the corner. She loved it, here comes the bad part. My DMIL said she'd have to make DGD a baby blanket, I said I'd made her one,her response was oh the yellow thing. I wanted to cry, pouted the whole way home in the car. What really mattered was the child liked it. Couldn't believe my MIL could be that mean!!! Charlene

I made my son a bowling set, which he loves. And the juggling chickens along with a note on how to juggle. He's been practing that. I also made him an ami dinosaur with a coupon on it that says "Good for 30 minutes of watching you skate board" and an orange kitty that says "Good for 30 minutes of board games" he loved those because I don't really like to watch him skate. LOL But now I will. I guess he liked them because yesterday I received some coupons from him one saying "Good for 60 [!!!] minutes of quiet!' I LOVE THAT. LOL!!!!

So far the gifts were well loved...I made scrunchies for the older girls...all 6 of them and for the littlest I made a crocheted teaset...she wanted to ahve a tea party right there in the middle of the floor. The boys got little amigrumi's each a snake and another critter. they loved them and started playing right away and of course the uncle i got loved the patriots pillow i made. but then everyone in the family always loves whatever i make.

I made a Christmas Stocking (filled) while doing the Snowtime CAL for my little second cousin and it seems it was very well received. My cousin is talking of it becoming a "wonderful heirloom". that is nice to hear. :manyheart

My aunt, who delivered the present, could not believe that I could make that. (Which is interesting... all things considered :rofl )

I made a cute little dolly set, dress, bonnet, panties and booties for my brother's gf's daughter. GF and my mom both loved it. The little girl wasn't there because she was at her dad's for Christmas.

I hope she loved it.

:manyheart

Well said and I second this!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I already posted I had to come back and comment after reading every post here.

I'm SO happy for everyone who worked hard for months to give others something made with their own hands, to me that has LOVE stamped all over it and I hope most of the recipients will realize how much goes into most hand crafted items (planning, pattern/recipe choosing and actual work and for many of us crocheters a lot of frogging!) and will cherish them as we would like them to. Personally, I view the crocheted items I gifted as part of my little mission to spread appreciation for this wonderful craft as much as possible and make it more popular and sought after, not just "old ladies stuff", so I can't help but feel proud to see that others are contributing to "the cause". :hook

Let's see... now that Christmas is over I can list off what I'd made without worrying my family would see and spoil the surprise!

I made a 1 skein homespun triangle knit shawl for my MIL, and she said it was very pretty and thank you. (She's far away so this was on the phone).

I made a 2 skein homespun diamond lace knit shawl for my aunt-in-law whose husband passed away this year. She said she loved the color and thank you on the phone.

For each of my primary family members (Mom, Dad, brother & his wife), I got large fleece blankets and crocheted edgings on them so that they could have emergency blankets in their cars. I also made a knit hat and crocheted scarf set for each out of bernat boucle. They seemed to all like their blankets well enough. Most were happy about their hat and scarf sets. My brother wouldn't even put on his set for a picture, so I'd imagine he'll never wear them.

I found out that my parents best friends really loved an afghan I gave my mother for her birthday earlier this year. I'm going to dig through my patterns for a similar (but not identical) afghan pattern and then once I get my afghan yarn out of storage I'll pick out some colors for it. I plan on making them an afghan for Christmas 2009 or 2010. I only do one afghan per year on average, and I've got a lot of works in progress and projects in mind already to do!

I made little blanket for DGD baby doll, even sewed a duck on the corner. She loved it, here comes the bad part. My DMIL said she'd have to make DGD a baby blanket, I said I'd made her one,her response was oh the yellow thing. I wanted to cry, pouted the whole way home in the car. What really mattered was the child liked it. Couldn't believe my MIL could be that mean!!! Charlene

How childish of her. I'm so glad that the little one loved it though. That is really all that counts.:hug

hello

my family and friends loved the doilies and toys and shrugs and and and i made for them. they always look forward to any holiday or birthday or whatever to receive something i made

im glad God gave me the gift of making things

michaela in kansas

Archived