How were your gifts received?

I was just wondering if everyone got positive results from their handmade gifts?

My dh's family and my mom's family were more pleased than I had imagined they would be and everyone that didn't get gifts from me (we drew names) talked about how much they would have liked them. Even my grandma who crohets herself.

My dad's family didn't say anything either way, which I expected so no big deal there :rolleyes

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only made two hand-made gifts this year and both went to my mother: Doris Chan's All Shawl made out of Homespun in a deep purple and a pair of Handknit Socks.

Everybody fell in love with the shawl, and there was lots of oohing and aahing. My mother loved the socks.

One of my sisters is a lampwork/jewelry artist. Mom always loves anything and everything Julie and I make for her. She crocheted a lot in her younger days, preferring thread crochet, but her eyesight makes it hard to do it anymore.

My crochet gifts were a hit :)

I made hats mostly, for my grandparents and cousins. different styles, like a balaclava, mohawk hats, earflap hats, beanies, brim caps.

I made booties for a baby cousin, and amigurumi chihuahuas for 2 little cousins. They were delighted with the ami's haha. I didn't get to see the booties on the baby though :(

My cousins liked their gifts so much, they wanted me to teach them. I got to teach my favorite cousin how to crochet, she was a natural at it, and got it right away even though i don't think I was that good a teacher, LOL. A lot of my little cousins were wanting us to teach them, but they gave up after learning to do chains. At least they learned chains though!

My co-workers loved the scarves I made them.

My niece & two nephews haven't gotten theirs yet. My older sister came down for Christmas & is taking the gifts back with her. My mother passed away earlier this year & I'm using the yarn she bought for their projects & making what she wanted them to have. I'll find out Sunday how well they are received.

The only crocheted gift I've been able to give went over incredibly well. I made an amigurumi goose and added a tag saying that a flock of geese had been donated through Heifer International in honor of that family member. On my mom's side we do a white elephant style (only they can't be ture white elephant gifts!) exchange. My grandma ended up with it and she cried because she loved it. I also ended up giving her my hat (also crocheted) because hers somehow disappeared while we were at my uncle's house. My cats destroyed two WIPs and hopefully I can repair the damage/ start over by New Year's when I'll be able to give those away. Nothing handmade for the in-laws as I am not feeling very generous in their direction this year. :/

Mine were a big hit. I made a capelet for my neice, a bob the tomato hat for my nephew, My SIL sent me a thank you note telling me how much she LOVED and appreciated the gifts I made. I also made pot holders for people which they liked. I was so happy everyone like thier gifts.

Mine went over well. I made each of my 3 granddaughters scarves and they wore them right away. The oldest will turn 23 on Saturday and wanted another scarf so I just finished 4 of them for her. They work up real fast. Now my daughters want some too so it looks like I will be busy with that for awhile!

I made only one this year for my sister. She had requested it like three years ago. She said it was perfect. About as excited as she got about anything yesterday.

For some reason she spent most the day sulking and looking out the back window, which meant she had her back to us. /shrug My sister has always been moody like that. If she were ever any other way I would worry she was sick.

So far everyone has been happy with my gifts (mostly hats). I've yet to hear from a family in NY state, they probably didn't get them in time because of the bad weather (I heard in the news of delays in deliveries...).

I think my daughter has been the happiest, she loved the little amigurumi bear I made her and the crocheted bag I put it in. I began speculating that it could be a good idea to make these little bears to sell, like for Valentine's, and now she's told me she wants a different one for every holiday with its own bag too...:rolleyes

i made my daughter a hat and scarf set which she loved and a quilt and a pair of lounging pants and she went absoulutley crazy over it all said was the best gift i ever gave her well besides the afghan i made her with tweety xs on it. she loved all the gifts i made which made me realize just how much she appreciates my work needless to say was very happy:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

It was so much fun to see their faces! My twinsister got an afghan for her birthday, but our birthday is december 23rd, so I kinda count that as one of the christmaspresents.. Anyway, she got all teared up! My mum did the same when she opened her christmaspresent and found a bag. "It's perfect" she said. My grandmother got a tablerunner (my first and last, I think....) and said: "Now, THIS is art". ;) I gave my twinsister a headband for Christmas, and she put it on right away. My family are great at reciving presents... ;)

As for the rest, I didn't see their reaction... My boyfriend sent me an message with a picture of the amigurumi-Mike I gave him, saying that he was laughing a lot and that he loved him. My sister-in-law told me on Facebook that her son had his santabear in bed with him last night, and that her daugther loved the hat and booties set I made her. I haven't heard anything from my brother-in-law... :P

I'll be crocheting like a mad woman this year, I'll have to make a lot of Christmaspresents for 2009. ;) I'm in on a CAL about it, that should keep me motivated. :)

mine was pretty well received. all adults on both sides of the family received hand made gifts. the best received was the mario green mushroom I made my brother and the matching beanie. he was really happy because I made him a red mario mushroom a couple years back.

everyone said thank you but I don't think everyone realizes how much work goes into the things you craft. :hook

I will be making hand made stuff again for next christmas. once my hands agree to cooperate again. (I stitched clear up till christmas afternoon!)

Everyone loved my crochet gifts! It was a huge relief! I made my DD a RR, all the guys got scarves, my Mom got Shelle's Button Up Poncho and my Sis a Shawler, and I made my 8 month old nephew a BICO. Everyone was just thrilled! I was so nervous the would not like them.

So far everyone has been happy with my gifts (mostly hats). I've yet to hear from a family in NY state, they probably didn't get them in time because of the bad weather (I heard in the news of delays in deliveries...).

I think my daughter has been the happiest, she loved the little amigurumi bear I made her and the crocheted bag I put it in. I began speculating that it could be a good idea to make these little bears to sell, like for Valentine's, and now she's told me she wants a different one for every holiday with its own bag too...:rolleyes

Yeah yarnluver I'm sure you will hear soon from them my fiance works for Fedex and last Friday they had all the workers turn around and come home 2x this week he didn't have to work until later since the deliveries are coming out of Memphis but anyways not to be off topic but I made my fiance's dad a hat and he loved it he said that he needed a new hat

My kids LOVED the tea set, Peggytoes's K'night, and Photogenic's Aventure Set. I crocheted a microphone for my friend's daughter that everybody wants one of now~LOL! I gave her Mom a Sweet Pea shawl but wasn't there to see how it was received, and I'm not done with her shawl. Everyone seemed to like my broom handle dusters quite a bit~I gave away LOTS of those and still have some to make and share.

All the women got Sweet Pea Shawls, but we haven't gotten together with them yet. WHEW! I am still working on two! LOL! and I made up a pattern for a door organizer that wasn't felted for my FIL~we'll see him today~and I might make a few more of those for some of the men. (((((HUGS))))) sandi

As far as I know, our recipients have been happy. On DH's side, we opened gifts together yesterday, so I got to see reactions. DH made a scroll-saw Betty Boop woodcut for our niece (17) who loves Boop, and LOVES the woodcut...he shocked and impressed his family..esp MIL:lol. MIL liked the doily I gave her, BIL got a kick out of the football pop-can cozies.

My side is farther away, but they're opening gifts today...so I'll wait to hear about those. Mom will like her gifts...she always does :)

Don't know yet as they are on their way to AR and should get there tomorrow or monday. My dd did like the potholders I made her though. Won't know about the niece and great nieces gifts till they get there though.

I made my neighbor a scarf and she just loved it! :hook She wears scarves all the time, and our weather has been so cold that she said she needed more colors, and the red scarf that I crocheted was just perfect! I also worked most of the year on 3 afghans for my daughter's roomates at college. They opened them 2 weeks ago and one of the girls called me in person and was just so thrilled with the afghan in her favorite blue colors and couldn't be appreciative enough. I have not heard anything from the other 2. I also made a quilted table runner for my SIL, in cloth and she loved that. We had a nice Christmas, and being together is just the best part. We went to see the movie Bedtime Stories Christmas night. That was fun.

Pretty much every reaction I've gotten on the ornaments I gave - whether in person (I gave out a lot early as we saw people), by e-mail, or over the phone - has been very positive and along the lines of, "You MADE this?!" LOL I also gave out fudge and cookies to a number of our friends and those always get rave reviews, so I know I can never go wrong with those. ;)

Well, I gave my friend a thread bookmark and a Tarot Pack holder (which she initially thought was for her Cell phone (LOL)! Both were well recieved.

Haven't heard from my other friend to whom I gave 4 swiffer shrugs and a mesh bag.

Also my brother liked the lionbrand suede throw I sent him (although I did take some good natured ribbing about becoming like MOM!!! Ha Ha! Jokes mean he liked it).

I crocheted three scarves, numerous kitchen sets, dishcloths etc. this year. Everyone seemed to love all the handmade items. We all had agreed not to purchase a lot of gifts or spend too much money so the handmade items were received well.

Archived