So how did you do (or are doing) with your Christmas gifts?

Many of you are lucky enough to exchange presents in person so that gives you extra time to crochet, but some, like me, have to mail most of the gifts we make. I had 4 different destinations to mail to and was terribly behind. My best friend from DE actually beat me to it but I mailed her package last Monday night by Priority Mail and she got it yesterday (should've been Thursday...). Finally, yesterday night I mailed the rest, I went to the P.O. after hours so I used the machine (which I prefered as there was no one before me when I got there!). This required that I break up one destination's stuff into 3 smaller packages, because the machine can't take boxes longer than a foot, but I think the two sets of kids (2 boys & 2 girls) will like getting a package in their names, don't you think? :)

It felt really good to have emptied my bag of FOs BUT the truth is that in the last week I had to face the fact that I just couldn't make everything on my list. I had to bag a doily in Christmas colors for next year, scratch off several things off my list, and tell one person there is one more thing that will go later. As if that weren't bad enough, I added two other people at the last minute but they will get theirs way past Christmas - good thing we Latins have the 3 Kings Day on Jan. 6 so I won't look all bad... However, that doesn't even include things that I'd planned to send to my sisters in another country. I only finished a poncho, never lined a purse I'd made nor finished a second I started and I'm not motivated to due to something that happened which to me is "the last straw"; it's anyone's guess when I'll finish them and if I'll ever give those to them.

This is the first time I crochet gifts so I've learned that next time it won't hurt to start earlier and also to have a "fund" for postage, it does mount up!

Now that I've confessed, how is everybody else doing??

Well, like you, most of my gifts had to go abroad. No handmade gifts there, though, mostly books and stationery - and material for my little sis, who loves dress-making.

I have crocheted TONS this year but have literally given away every stitch that left my hook! And while I don't regret it at all - and would do it again, and more - a small part of me (the part that's furiously crocheting a scarf as a last-minute gift on the evening of the 20th December) is wishing that the other part of me (the part believes that finished objects are solely made to fly off into the universe, full of love and positive energy) would control herself occasionally and put a scarf aside. Or perhaps a little hat. Or maybe a baby blanket. :lol Yup, obviously I love the challenge of last-minute crocheting. Extreme crocheting!

Anyway, it sounds like you're much better organised than I am - good for you! And yes, children LOVE to get their own parcels. The excitement of receiving the post will be as great as discovering what's in them!

I ended up only making 3 gifts, scarves for my two SILs and my MIL. I just finished them, but we're exchanging gifts on the 27th, so I'm cool. Next year I'm hoping to start early and finish by November w/ more handmade gifts.

Miss Crochet:

I'm surprised that with all that crocheting none went to Christmas gifts... Do you crochet for charity? Is your regret that you didn't make yourself anything at all? (All I have at this point is a little case for my purse calculator, two eye masks and a couple of bookmarks - I made a pretty shawl but don't want to wear it around the house...) I'm just a curious person and I'm wondering why you would lay aside a baby blanket if that was the case... :think Anyway, I hope you took pictures of what you made, if not consider the idea not just for your sake but because others would enjoy seeing what you make. I decided to take pictures of everything I could because I'd stopped crocheting for many years and didn't keep anything I made and although back then I was not as prolific as I am now I can only remember a few of the things I made.

Hi Yarnluver,

Yes, I made quite a bit for various charities. For a while I went through a baby blanket phase and then gave them away because it seemed that no one around me was having babies. As soon as the blankets were gone, there was a fertility explosion among my friends and acquaintances, so I had to hit the hook and make a few more! I still have three or four that need a bit of finishing, but I'll do that in the holidays and send them on to their designated charity.

I give away everything, actually. We don't have much storage space here so it's for practical reasons as well as altruistic ones :lol I don't have anything for myself, except an afghan I made before I joined Crochetville. It's quite nice but not very warm because - novice that I was - I used cotton and all kinds of yarns that looked pretty but don't keep in the heat. And Bavaria gets really cooooooold in winter (I know you're "enjoying" unseasonably warm weather but over here it's miserable: not cold enough for snow, just damp and grey. Bleuurk.) I've been given skeins of American yarn from lovely Villers and I'm going to use that - brace yourself, this is daring! - to make us an afghan for our bed! American WW acrylic is much heavier than our yarn, so I think that'll make a nice blanket. Because I was gifted the yarn, I'll definitely keep the afghan because I'll look at the different colours and think about the people who chose them.

Anyway, this year I'm going to put away the odd scarf or hat and hide them till Christmas. :hook Though knowing me, I'll probably forget about them and only rediscover them in spring 2010, haha.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, my daughter gives me a hard time about it, I tell her that sometimes my brain won't rest trying to figure some things out (but maybe not as trivial as this one :lol). It figures that you'd need the blankets after you gave them away, it's like Murphy's law or something.

Yes, it's a little too warm for my taste now but I'm trying to not forget completely how much I disliked those dreary days that you are talking about when I lived up north, it wasn't too bad where I lived but after 10 years I began feeling cold weather was the norm there. Here's the opposite and after 11 years, 3 hurricanes and a mold allergy I'm not happy either, now I want something in-between, like SC maybe. Btw, you're not an American? I almost thought you were until I read about the yarn...

I was going to say that I'm not organized because I don't have room in our little house to put everything away neatly so I have my share of mess, but I'm a Virgo, so the tendency is there, and because it does make life easier I try to exercise some discipline, but believe me, nowhere near as much as I think I "should" (dirty word!:P).

Btw, you're not an American? I almost thought you were until I read about the yarn...

No, I'm Irish (so I should be used to the rain, right? :( ). I've been living over here for more than a decade though. When I first moved here I nearly died of cold - I had never experienced such extreme weather, because an inch of snow in Ireland is a novelty. In the time I've been here the winters have become noticeably milder and damper - there were years when I feared I wouldn't be able to get to the airport to fly home at Christmas. One year we drove there in a blizzard! It's a far cry from that this year...

I made 6 washcloths for my children's 3 teachers, a schoolbus scarf for my son's busdriver, a few cupcake/cradle purses for my cousin's daughters, I'm furiously trying to finish an afghan for my MIL:crocheting and I wanted to make a scarf from the "my little city girl" blog....but, decided I was running out of time and I just bought her a gift instead.

Next year I want to be more organized, also! To spread the expenses throughout the year will help out a lot and I won't feel the crunch to finish as much.:eek

I am almost done. I am crocheting for 8 people. I exchanged the majority of them tonight at a christmas party. I made a afghan for a friend I am done with, and I am almost done with another for another friend. I have 2 sets of potholders to make and I will be done.

Well, this is the first Chrsitmas I have crocheted any gifts. (except for the two lapghans I made for the Miami VA last year). So, I did not have a plan or any set goals. I managed the following for Christmas this year (and hope to do more next year):

Wash cloth (to go with bubble bath) for Friend

4 Swiffer shrugs and a SMALL mesh bag for another Friend

'Suede' throw for my brother (not really for Christmas but it was done anyway)

Tarot Deck holder and Yellow bookmark for my friend that is spending Christmas with us.

2 lapghans for Gainesville VA

Black and White candy cane package topper for my son's piano teacher (even her DOG is black and white and is called "BW")

I made 21 covered ball ornaments - 10 of them were made during the Greek games here on the 'Ville, and the other 11 I made in November. I still have a few more to give out, but I think I ended up making exactly the right amount! They make a nice addition to a little tub of homemade goodies (which I debated doing this year with money being so tight - ingredients and then shipping still costs - but I'm glad I did!).

I had hopes - and even some yarn purchased earlier in the year - to make some bigger gifts but life just got in the way. Now I'm one step ahead for next year. :D

Just made 2 scarves today as "additions" to the $ gift that is going to all the nieces and nephews. At this point, they're all getting a little bit of cash and a scarf made from the stash closet! Gotta same some $ somehow!

I knit and crocheted a whole bunch of stuff this year for Christmas. I'd post up what I've made, but my family knows I post here and I wouldn't want them to check in and spoil the surprise! :eek In a week I can post what I made. ;) I didn't get everything made that I'd intended as I simply burnt out for making gifts for the year.

I did look at my book listing my start and end dates for all my crafted items and realized I hadn't made anything at all for myself all year. So now I'm leisurely making myself a shawl with the most lovely red mohair yarn that I was given for my birthday from another 'Viller. :c9

I didn't make too many gifts this year. Just a couple of washcloths, a scarf, and now I am working on a dolly dress set for my brother's gf's daughter.

Just kind of a weird year.

:manyheart

I needed to make this list anyway, might as well do it here. LoL

I have not finished all of my gifts, luckily for me the two people I ship to (my parents) are both coming here for Christmas, so I will not have to worry about postage. FO's I have are: 2 snowman candy baskets for teachers (gifted already,) scarf/hat set for my dad, Yoda for cousin, beanie for hubby with mittens to finish, and a shawl for MIL, which I may or may not give to her. Things I still need to finish are a blanket for mom (just have to weave ends,) replace handles on a purse for A-I-L, decided not to go with a shawl for her. I had hoped to get the cat pillows finished for my girls but only have the parts for 2. Oh! I almost forgot the Ipod cozy for hubby, mostly finished just need to do the design on the back and sew it up. Hope his Ipod arrives in time! LoL

I actually think that is it, unless I go through my box and find other stuff. I did finish most things I had hoped, with the exception of weaving ends, so I'm pretty pleased with myself. This was also my first year making gifts so I have learned my lesson and will start early next year. My goal is to start in January, and have everything finished by July or August. I felt so much pressure to finish this stuff that I just let it go until the last days, and then of course it isn't enjoyable because I'm in a crunch. :blush

I am at a point where I could stop and be just fine gift wise but I have 3 gifts still in progress that I would like to finish by Christmas eve (when we exchange gifts with my mom's family).

On one I just need to make potholders to finish off my sister's kitchen set. The other two are scarf, wristwarmer, and earwarmer sets. The scarves are both finished but I still need to weave in the ends. And the other two pieces aren't even started yet. But I shouldn't have any problem getting them done. I can work on them on the drive down too so I should be good.

I didn't get as much done as I had planned but no one has been disappointed so far so Im not too worried. I plan on starting much earlier next year though.

I wish I had folks and family to give to but I just have no one. I didn't make anything for anyone, well yet, I think I might do Christmas dish cloths just 'cuz! But we are done with all the buying !

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm beginning to feel like that because in the last few years my family has shortened quite a bit and most of those who are left are too into themselves to notice that here in the U.S. I have only my children (who most of the time are only into themselves too).

Miss Crochet: Tonight I was listening to a CD of Irish Christmas music, my daughter and I love celtic music! Are you going to live in Bavaria indefinitely? How is it the rest of the year?

ajandbellasmom: Sounds like you've been pretty busy, good luck with your MIL's afghan!

Cliffnote & ratdog: It appears you both did very well after all!

Lady_of_Roses: Will love to see those pics especially your mohair shawl! :) That reminds me I wanted to make myself a stole out of some boucle I have but I just haven't had the chance...

CLLinda: Aren't you glad you saved yourself some stress? ;)

Stacy: You sound sort of like me, I had too long a list and then I encountered problems with several projects which set me back, some days I also didn't feel like doing much at all. My plans are similar to yours, whenever I need a new project to start next year it will be a make-ahead gift.

RusticOkie: Yes, like me you probably made the list longer than necessary but sounds like you've done better than me.

I didn't make a lot, but finished yesterday. I made a fleece coat for my sister and crocheted a hat and scarf to go with it, also quilted a table runner for her, crocheted a tote and sewed a purse (she also has a birthday this month). I crocheted shawls for my mother and mother in law and a bunch of snowflake coasters and baskets for pot pourri for various people. I also made several cross stitched ornaments. I still have a couple of things to wrap and groceries to buy for Thursday, but I am done!

Me, Myself, and I, THE JoBug, admit to being an utterly and compleate dissapointment to myself. I had BIG inspirations, as in the past I have made things and made things for the Holiday Random Act Of Kindness here at the Ville. I have been able to make not ONE thing. The thought even depresses me now. Unfortunalty my Lupus has taken over my life this year I have Systemic Lupus, and unfortunatly has taken over much of my life and enjoyment of life.

On a good note, I DID manage to make my three year old great Niece Sammi a Ami dolly, she is cute, not the best work I ever did, but hey, she is only three and loves everything I make.

I am going to make a list for Christmas next year and force myself to stick to it. I would have LOVED to have dishclothes to pass out at work to my coworkers, nope, nothing. Sooooooooooo off my soapbox and off to making a list, after all, tommorow is the first day of the rest of our lives, right?

:hug

Since my grandma's alzheimers diagnosis 10 years ago, I've been the one in my family to carry on the tradition of baking vinatertas for Christmas. A vinaterta is a seven layer Icelandic cake and I have to mail out five of them plus make one for myself! I'm getting pretty good at them now, and every year I thank heaven for my KitchenAid mixer. This year I threw an H-bag in my sister's package, finished and delivered an afghan for my MIL, and have another tote and a lapghan waiting to give my mom when she arrives tomorrow. I guess I did really good but having six weeks of medical leave sure helped!

Miraculously, even with the setback caused by the baby blanket debacle, other than the cardigan that I didn't get to yet and a gift for Blanket Girl's grandmother, I have gotten everything on my list done. I decided that the quickest way to get everyone done was to make something simple, but useful, and so everyone here got hats. We had our Christmas party earlier tonight and I gave everyone their hats and either they are all academy award winning actors and actresses of they really loved them! I was so thrilled that they all seemed genuinely happy with them, and better than just happy, they were all very impressed that the hats were handmade. I was extremely relieved that they went over as well as they did.

I explained to my friend about the cardigan and they said that that was no big deal at all, and that if it was all the same to me, rather than a cardigan they would really like to have a coverup to wear at the pool! So that took a huge load off me, because at least now I don't have to rush to get a sweater done while there is still weather cold enough for her to wear it, and I have until probably mid- to late-March before the weather starts where we swim every day down here, so I will place an order for knitting worsted weight cotton from Elmore Pisgah in the next week or two and I will make her swim coverup. I still have to make something for Blanket Girl's grandmother, but she and I have been friends for so long and I have never yet had her gift ready by Christmas, and for about the last five years it has been a running joke with us that if I ever DID have her gift finished by Christmas, something would happen and they would cancel the holiday entirely that year.

Actually, I DO have one more gift to make by next Monday, but I have no idea what that is going to be, so I think I'm going to start a separate thread and ask for some suggestions! Everyone here always manages to come up with such great suggestions, I feel confident that someone will say something that will make me go "Ooooh, yeah! That's perfect!"

I will be going to a friend's Christmas Eve Eve party today, and staying overnight...so while my bf is helping him get setup (he has lupus so needs some heavyweight help) I will be crocheting - finishing a scarf, starting a pair of legwarmers. Then tomorrow, in between cooking for my moms dinner I will be working on an edging for a fleece blanket. Will probably be up late Christmas Eve to finish it.

Have most of the baking done...got gingerbread dough in the fridge to be ready to roll and bake and decorate tomorrow inbetween cooking and crocheting.

Then I have another fleece blanket to do for my son, who I prob wont see til the weekend..that gives me part of christmas day and Friday to work on it...and then before dd goes back to school i have 2 bookmarks & a book cozie to do.

Whew...

I have lowered my expectations a bit and am now just trying to get my children's gifts finished. After that my darling and a neighbor's daughter~then I'll be working on some to be late~shawl for my SIL and two neighbors, some more broom handle dusters, etc. I started in early summer and REALLY thought I'd be able to get it all done, but during my hernia repair my darling was out of work for a time. NOT a sob story AT ALL! but I wasn't able to continue my projects for a bit 'til the $$$ for yarn started comin' in again~LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Archived