My biggest crochet compliment

(shameless bragging ahead)

A friend at work announced a week ago that she had become a grandmother. Her daughter's pregnancy had been kept quiet. Her daughter is unmarried, and was uncertain if she would give the baby up for adoption. She decided at the last minute that she would be raising her son.

So, my friend's grandchild came home with nothing prepared for him. No crib... no clothing, nothing. There is a shower planned, but it's a month away.

I had been working on one of my charity ghans for the NICU babies - and had started a new one the day before my friend announced her good news. I was able to get the afghan finished in less than a week.

I used Aggie May's round ripple pattern. I worked on it so quickly that I even forgot to take a picture --- but I loved the way it turned out.

I gave the ghan to my friend today at work. She went home for lunch and gave it to her daughter. When my friend returned to work, she told me that they will probably use the afghan for the baby's baptism.

I was so touched and honored that they would consider using it for such an important occasion. I think it's probably the biggest compliment I've ever received for my crochet.

Congrats on the honor of having your gift be used at the christening! It's so wonderful when people really appreciate handcrafted things, isn't it? It really makes you feel like you've given them something that they truly like, and not just something that they have to thank you for because you gave it to them. :)

What a heart warming story. So lovely that the baby will be brought up by his natural mum and grandma, and so touching that your gift was so appreciated. What colour did you make the rug? You really must get some baptism photos to post (with your friends permission). What a tough decision for a young mum to make as well. My thoughts are with you all.

Thanks for sharing such a nice story. For your blankie to be used in such an important event is wonderful.

What colour did you make the rug? You really must get some baptism photos to post (with your friends permission).

I used Pound of Love in Blue with a few rows of white thrown in. what a good idea... I'll get a pic at the baptism! Once I had already given it away, I realized I had no picture of it.

Thank you all for sharing in my enthusiasm. I told DH about it, and he thought it was nice.... but it's nice to share the story with other crocheters!

I know what you mean about feeling touched and honored. It's almost as if we put a little bit of ourselves in the things we make.

yay for you! that must make you feel so good.

i have a 14 month old and i can't imagine having nothing when he came home. talk about overwhelming!!! i'd be a nervous wreck on top of the nervous wreck you are when you're a new mom!

Wow, there is no greater honor than that for your crochet. How generous of you to reach out to her. She will no doubt have hard times ahead, but they will be outshined by the obvious love she has for her baby!

Archived