Do you always use the yarn a pattern calls for?

Do you use the yarn a pattern calls for?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the yarn a pattern calls for?

• Never
    • Always
    • Rarely
    • Other

I was just following a pattern, but I am not using the yarn the pattern calls for, and got to wondering how many of you actually use the yarn a pattern calls for. I almost never use the yarn a pattern calls for. I use whatever I have.

How about you?

I'm just learning so right now I'm using whatever I can afford. There are so many beautiful yarns, though, and I'm looking forward to using them.

depends on lots of factors. If i like the colors and the yarn it calls for then I do. Also depends on my mood/wallet. lol

I live in Australia, but mostly use patterns from the US or UK (due to availability) so I almost always have to substitute because the yarn called for is just not available...

very rarely, I often use US patterns and we don't have the same yarns over here

ditto

I choose "other" because I will use the yarn if I have access to it or if it isn't too expensive. But I usually substitute something in the same weight class if it is too pricey or hard to get.

It depends. A lot of the books I have list some kind of funky yarn I've never heard of and don't know where to get! I will use the exact yarn if it's easily available and if I'm not pulling from my stash for the project. . . but how often does that happen? :think

I chose "other" since "sometimes" wasn't an option. It depends on the availability and price of the suggested yarn and whether it is made of an animal fiber (allergies rather than convictions determine that for me). Sometimes I just want to see if I'm going to like a pattern before I spend money on good yarn.

It all depends...sometimes I do, but a lot of the time I like to check my stash to see if there's something there I can use. Either that, or I want to use one of my favorite yarns instead.

Sometimes, it's essential to use a different yarn, due to the yarn recommended for the pattern is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy (Lion Brand Homespun comes to mind)...

I voted for rarely because I usually just see a pattern that I really like and then just use the colors that I like or that the person I'm making it for would like. But, I will say that the leaves that I'm working on now and the butterfly one that I finished a few months ago, I did follow the colors that I thought they really made the afghan.

"Other" because "sometimes" wasn't on the list.

If I have the yarn it calls for, yes.. but I don't always go out and buy the yarn that the pattern calls for unless I don't have a substitute that will work. I almost always change the colors, though.

I've only ever used the exact yarn(and exact shade) called for in a patern about.. once, although that was a fluke, and I'm still wondering why I bought two different shades of pink in the first place.

If I happen to have the yarn a pattern calls for, I'll use it. But most often, I use what I have around here. (so long as the weight matches...sometimes I still have to go shopping :giggle) Sometimes the pattern is so old (?) that the yarn has been discontinued, so I couldn't find it even if I wanted to :).

I am a member of the I hate RHSS club. I love worsted weight acrylic TLC, Carron and I love this yarn (hobby lobby yarn, the aran is fantastic!:c9). I never like the color in the patterns:crocheting

Laura

Archived