Weaving in ends......

Please tell me I'm not alone in the absolute HATRED of weaving in ends?

I've just started a granny blanket for my cousins baby shower (July) and not more than three squares in all I can think about are all those darned ENDS!!!!!!!:(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. You're far from alone. I won't even make a granny blanket, because I can't stand to think of all the ends I'd have to weave in. This is why I chose to use bigger skeins (usually 7 oz...I Love This Yarn) and patterns that don't consist of squares being joined together.

Do what I did...train your significant other. Tip: works better if they are recovering from surgery and can't run.

I tried this but it didn't work. All I got when I suggested it was a sarcastic "will there be anything ELSE, My Queen? Isn't it bad enough that Wayne caught me whittling a CROCHET HOOK the other night while I was sitting outside? How do you expect me to explain away the fact that I'm sitting there weaving in ends???" I thought about it for a minute and decided not to push the issue. I want me some wooden hooks, so I let it go. :lol

Do what I did...train your significant other. Tip: works better if they are recovering from surgery and can't run.

Ok now I"m thinking of ways to break my husbands leg! lol

This is also the reason why I don't make granny squares (very often) although I have started a bag with grannies in a moment of insanity so I will have those to sew together whenever the mood hits me ... or when the bag gets full!

Fran

I absolutely HATE weaving in ends so I try to crochet over them as I go along, then at the end I have very few to actually weave in. Even better is when I can weave in those ends into the border of the afghan.....then there's only the beginning and end stragglers to deal with!

Well, I conquered my aprehension of the ends by using a large needle and weaving them in as I go. That means, every round, every square has the ends woven at the time I make the square. I have a pile right now of 48 squares waiting to be put together, and all of the squares are beautiful, with no ends to weave!! It is such a feeling of relief....instead of dread. Now, all I have to do it crochet the squares together and I am done!!

Whew!!!!!! :hug

I used to use a crochet hook for this but started using a needle like Texasredhead does. It's a lot faster and neater because it doesn't pull around the stitches. And I agree. Don't set that square aside until it is finished, including the weaving. You might still have some ends to finish as you put your squares together but it's not nearly so overwhelming.

Hmmmmm... I sound like an old nag. Sorry.

Loose ends :yuck. I work over the ends when I change colors. I weave the last end in before I make the next square :yes. Some people leave ends long enough to go around the square, then sew the squares together with them. I mostly crochet my squares together. Using a needle is the best way.

Ellie 13

Whatever do you mean? I LOVE weaving in ends. That's the only reason I crochet. Well, that and the luxury of having to count 200 stitches and being interrupted somewhere around 136 and having to start over.

Seriously though, I do use a needle, and try to break up the monotony. I'm currently working on a graphed afghan, and have been stopping every ten to twelve rows to weave in the ends. Otherwise, I'd probably cry at the end, for sheer joy of having to weave in a hundred loose tails.

Sally

I usually work over any ends that I can, but I've noticed that when working with very soft baby yarns they tend to come out after several washes if not actually woven in - anyone else have that problem?

I am still looking for the elves to do mine. I will get a project done and there it will sit because of those blasted ends :) I used to crochet over mine but found after a washing or two they would pop out. Since I sell and give away most of what I make, I didn't want this happening. Sew (so) I weave mine in AND THEN to make matters worse - I tack them in place with needle and thread. I don't want any of my customers coming back and saying they had a problem with ends.

Currently, I have a baby afghan and a regular one that needs the ends tacked, they are already woven in. :(

Someone needs to invent a glue that is pliable and washable that you can dip the ends into and "glue" them to the project without worry of them ever becoming undone. There's a million $$$$ lurking there for someone I bet!!

I'm with you...I heard about the "russian join"...when you come to the end of your skein you join the next skein with a needle making it an endless work. I have taken to the extreme of...crocheting to where the color change will exist...frogging back a couple of stitches, while holding between two fingers where the color change will need to occur...doing my russian join in that location...and then proceeding on again When I'm finished with my project I have one solid completed work with nothing more to do. :clap!!! I sure do wish I thought of that sooner because I did ONE granny square blanket and vowed never again....of course I do feel another one coming on in the future. :)

I usually work over any ends that I can, but I've noticed that when working with very soft baby yarns they tend to come out after several washes if not actually woven in - anyone else have that problem?

Working over ends isn't the most secure...the stitches you work over are a little looser going over the extra thread, which is part of the reason why weaving with a needle works better.

Maybe I don't understand this properly? When you do a round in a granny square and change colour, you leave a long yarn tail, which you go back and sew into the square with a needle?????

Good grief, crochet wouldn't be worth doing if I had to do that! :lol I just leave about an inch or an inch and a half and crochet over it, using the hook to hook it in or under other stitches so it's in there firmly.

I had never heard of weaving in ends before this site! Once again I am suffering deep feelings of inadequacy, boo hoo. :nworthy

Archived