Weaving in ends......

I crochet over the ends if it's a project that can hide it well. Like the standard ripple I'm doing now is in all single crochet and crocheting over the ends is hiding them securely. If it were double crochet, I don't think it would have worked as well. When I tried crocheting over the ends on a granny square, they always popped out on me. I'm avoiding squares and/or color changes per row right now because I hate so many ends to weave in. There's something to be said for those 1 pound skeins and a solid color blanket made all in one piece! :lol

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have used sewing thread of the same color as the yarn to sew a few inches of very small stitches over and into the yarn ends. This prevents the ends from working themselves out over time and several washes. The thread doesn't really show if you use small enough stitches and try to work them under or behind the crochet stitches.

That's a good idea that I had totally forgotten about (and I sew). I think I'll do that on the Doris Chan sweater I'm working on cause I don't want any thicker areas in it.

Thanks!

~ Debby

I know there's the Russian Splice but does anyone have other hints for to use on the ww cottons?

~ Debby

OKAY NOW...I know I've still got alot to learn here... this is the second mention of the russian thing - what is it exactly?

I have the centers of an entire afghan for my youngest daughter completed, but only two squares actually finished because of the ends. I am telling myself that I will finish it for her when she has a baby, lol.

The funny thing is, now that I have been making up my own patterns, I have been doing thing with lots of color changes that makes for lots of ends....

OKAY NOW...I know I've still got alot to learn here... this is the second mention of the russian thing - what is it exactly?

Here's some instructions:

http://www.geocities.com/mama_bear_007/Russian_Join.html

I've never actually put it to use but I've tried it and it makes a strong join. :)

Not alone by a mile!

I always save the weaving in till there is something GREAT on tv like a long, interesting movie then I drink a nice coffee or water, plan a snack for midway through as a reward and weave in. I need to drink because it paces me and gives me those little breaks so it's not horrid.

That's a good idea that I had totally forgotten about (and I sew). I think I'll do that on the Doris Chan sweater I'm working on cause I don't want any thicker areas in it.

Thanks!

~ Debby

You are most welcome! I usually tuck the ends along the sides, and if I sew the pieces together, it eliminates the bulkiness within the main body of the work.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... I know I've only made three granny squares so far, but I don't really mind weaving in the ends. Maybe it's because the technique is so similar to ending a thread in cross stitch that it's something I know I can do right (as opposed to most of the rest of my crochet, which I'm still shaky on LOL)

Archived