How much is too much????

Do you believe what this seller is asking for this pattern?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2623202&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26rd%3D1%26item%3D230050193043%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26ih%3D013

It's not even that fancy a pattern, all single crochet, with a row of popcorns and the keys made separately and attached. I'm flabbergasted!

I wonder if some people might think they are buying the afghan? That is what I thought at first. This is a very high price to pay for just the pattern, unless it is rare and not available anywhere and you really, really, wanted it! Which wouldn't be me.

Do you think an adept crocheter would actually pay that for that pattern

Yes I do think they'll pay that much if they want it bad enough.

I've see that stained glass booklet go for about that much, and yes I know it was more than one pattern.

I've seen a christening outfit go for near $100.

People pay high for things they want.

While I certainly would'nt pay that much, I am sure there are others that would. Like Empress said before me, I have seen the catherdral rose afghan pattern go for that, plus more. I don't think that the seller is being greedy.....If they can get that kind of price...more power to them. My guess is that this pattern has been selling in that price range before.

Browsed through store items then I emailed the seller and outright asked if this was a typo. Will let you know if I get a response. Too steep for me thats for sure.

Here's the reply:

Yes, this is the correct price..an out of print, hard to find pattern.. when I bought this from someone a few years ago, I paid more, if you can believe that. I attempted to make it, but arthritis got the best of me, so I am attempting to sell my items..This is cheaper than I paid for it, wanting to make it for my niece, who plays piano...Never got it done :) Want to at least get some of the money back I paid for it..

Stupid is as stupid does. The price may seem outrageous to us, but we are average people. What about the people who have the money to blow. They also have $1100 purses, and $600 boots. To each his own I say, If you can bilk money out of people who have it, why not? Who am I to judge? Same with the oil prices. (No?)

:think Well? I give the buyer this. She has guts, thats for sure! I personally cannot see paying that kind of money. Especially if she is "losing" money. Sorry, I don't believe everything I read.

I am sure if someone wants the pattern bad enough, he/she will pay. Not me. I would rather figure it out myself, then pay for it.

Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem buying patterns, which I am currently doing. To me, that is waste of good money.

I :devil I agree, you can't fix stupid, and , stupid is as stupid does. (The latter one I say all the time :blush)

I only hope the pattern is worth the money.

the 2nd listing (posted this thread post 15) for that pattern is NOT so bad. The poster started it at .99 and it went UP to the $20ish. The 1 in the 1st post of this thread... OMGoodness!! to start it at $54ish, i just cant fathom starting it so high.

*IF* she did buy it for more than that, I'd wonder WHERE she bought it. If it was somewhere like Ebay, then that price was her decision and her value for it, not most peoples. Obviously there are other copies out there to buy at less.

jmho,

Sandy

That isn't a good price. What are people thinking of. I can't believe the seller originally paid more for that pattern. My question how can one afford to spend that kind of money when the cost of living is so high. Not to smart. I just don't understand why people waste money. :think

That's outrageous, but if it's out of print and someone really wants it...

But still.

The Cathedral Window pattern was *sort of* worth paying that much for b/c it's not the kind of pattern you can just look at and figure out, and you got the rest of the book along with it. Now you can just buy the pattern for $9.00 at Annie's Attic. So, I'm hoping the price of the book that it's in goes down, b/c I want the rest of the patterns, lol!

I pay about $30-$40 for old pattern books and $20 for old magazines from back in the 1970's - when they had dozens and dozens of patterns in them, for all sorts of crafts. Why? Because I both collect the patterns b/c I like to just look at them and because I may actually make one of the vintage items one day. I've actually made a few vintage toys from some old books. So I don't mind paying for the vintage, out of print, can't find 'em anywhere else pattern books and magazines.

But I'd NEVER pay that much for a current, in print pattern book! No way! Or for just one pattern. That's crazy.

Wow!! $54.99 for a PATTERN? I could understand it if the afghan pattern started out at a regular price and went that high via a bidding war, but to ask a Buy It Now price that high for a pattern is RIDICULOUS!!

Elle

Archived