I just have to ask - What is the purpose of ...

I used them in art school when we went outside to draw and it was cold.

Haven't used them since.

They are useful if you have to do things outside that require holding small things or doing detail work, but I think that mostly they're popular as a senseless fashion statement. I loved them when I was young and "hip" :roll:

I don't think I was ever hip!!

I wear fingerless gloves when I go to the antique mall in the winter. The don't normally heat them well, so my hands woud get cold. But I worried about picking up expensive glassware with slippery gloves on. So I did me up a pair of fingerless gloves. Gives me some warmth and I don't have to worry about a glass slipping out of my hands so much.

So I guess they are for times when you need manual dexterity and warmth. It's a compromise. I have even crocheted wearing a pair.

Of course mine are made with thread.

Here's a pair I have done.

th_Fingerlessmitta.jpg

My friend where's them when he rides his bike so he has a bit more control when it isn't absolutly freezing outside. I know he's expressed interest in a pair of fingerless gloves with a detachable mitten top for that very reason. And another friend of mine uses his to keep his hands warm when he is at the computer for long periods of time. That way he has the warmth of mittens but he can actually type on the keyboard. I know I've used pairs of mine for that reason. They are very handy for that reason. Also, I use to wear them purely for fashion sense along with arm warmers. Now, all of those are mainly used for keeping warm at the computer when I game a lot.

Biking gloves are fingerless, leather pads on the palms and are net like on the top. They kept you from getting callouses, but your hands didn't sweat. They are great for long rides (10+ mi.). The ones I see in crochet books seem to be elbow length and lacey, for weddings.

Ellie 13

I like fingerless gloves when I run near the water (sometimes our trainings are near the ocean). Having my fingers free helps me change my radio station, grab my water from my fuel belt, and grab a few pretzels when I pass the water stop. I also made a pair for the mailman last year as his Christmas gift..that way he still has warm hands, but can easily thumb through the mail to deliver it! In the winter, I wear a lightweight pair when I crochet/knit at night sometimes...it gets chilly (which I love) and they keep my hands warm while I craft.

Donna

I, too, wear them to keep at least a portion of my hands and wrists warm while still allowing free finger movement. I don't wear the type where each finger is separated, more the 'wrist warmer' style, because as a court reporter I need to move my fingers VERY quickly and without obstruction. We keep the courtrooms cold and even on a very warm and sunny So Cal day, I end up wearing shawls, wraps, shrugs, cardi's - whatever - and wristwarmers so I don't freeze. I've also been known to wear bloomers under my skirts and leg warmers...:lol Yes, I am quite the fashion state!

I think once in a while you see brides wearing them and they're fingerless so they can get the ring on without having to take the whole thing off.

I think my mother wore kid elbow-length gloves (was in August--must have been real comfortable!) and the finger was cut off.

A friend made and gave me a scarf last winter that was in blue.

Now I have a thing about my hats, scarves and gloves all matching and I have a set in red that matches and I was good to go with that. when she gave me the blue scarf - that didn't match anything, I made a hat and was stuck for gloves.

I knew I could not crochet gloves that would fit and function so I was at a loss until I thought of buying cheap gloves and then making the wristwarmer type of fingerless gloves to wear over the cheap gloves so they would match my hat and go up my arms a bit. I do need working gloves so this way I got warm and working together.

I made them using the sc ribbing stitch and they are really great. I can tuck my fingers inside the warm chunky fabric if Jack Frost gets a little overzealous.

Several clerks have asked me to make them fingerless gloves. The air conditioning blows down on their hands at the cash register. As for myself, because of fibromyalgia, keeping my hands warm really helps the pain plus I can still do things. I make an extra inch or two at the top toward the fingers. I can roll it down like a cuff or up to cover more of my fingers.

Glenda

I use them when I'm typing. I use the kind that are open, not cut for individual fingers. I also have toe socks with the end bits cut off that I wear as gloves in the winter. :) Makes for a little more fun and color than just regular gloves.

Many, many years ago, I worked aircraft maintenance in the middle of the night, in a part of the world that had real winters. My dilemma was: it's too cold to work without gloves, but WITH the gloves on, I couldn't feel what I was doing, and in some cases, that's the only way I could do my job, was by feel. One day I came across some fingerless gloves (more like wrist warmers), and my dilemma was resolved.

Basically, I hate fingered gloves. I cannot stand being unable to "feel" what I'm doing, even if I can see.

Also, getting older, and a bit achey now & then, they feel comfortable on my hands without impairing my dexterity.

I love 'em!

I wear little half socks with my mules, but that's mainly to keep from getting all stinky. Socks help in that regard. I don't wear flip-flops at all, so can't see the appeal of those particular things. :)

I would guess, on the socklets, that they would help prevent blistering? My SIL gave me a wonderful comfy pair of sandals, but where the straps cross at the top gives me blisters. Socklets would be ideal because I could still be mostly barefoot (I hate wearing shoes and socks! :lol ) but wear those shoes.

In the winter, though, I wear thick knit socks my best friend made me, and fingerless gloves for all the above reasons. I don't tend to wear them when I'm crocheting...RHSS on RHSS?? LOL It rubs funny. But my computer is right next to a window and the air right there is cold. :wbrr

Archived