Crochet hook storage

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I'm traveling with my hooks and projects, I keep my hooks in a small, long makeup bag that was "free with purchase." It's about the size of a pencil case. Now that I've got a set of wooden hooks, I have a short, pretty vase on my craft table with the hooks in it, looking pretty and alluring. I'm still searching for the perfect traveling case, something that is easy to get out and I can see all my hooks without having to dig. I can't decide if I like a hook roll thingie or not; I'm thinking of looking for a cheap makeup bag that opens up and I can see my hooks in. Hmm...

I keep mine in an old cigar box. I have a very small one too, useful for travelling. If you like them on show, a pretty jar would be nice. The other option is to crochet one of those cases, there are patterns around. Zaraliz

I bought a cute little zippered bag at Hobby Lobby last week that was actually alongside some bigger bags that looked like they were for school supplies... for my travel bag... and I also have a plastic case that snaps shut I bought at Michael's, back in the sewing dept. Both perfect for hooks and were very cheap.

At both JoAnn's and Wal-Mart, Crystalites offers a clear, handled carrying case for hooks, and that's what I use. I've seen it online with a set of hooks, but when I saw it in the stores, it was empty, and about $5.

It's great because it's slender, has little spots for the hooks, and see-through, so I can immediately see which hook I'm looking for without even having to open it all the way. The only downside is that, if I forget to zip it up, the hooks will slide out of it -- but it's not enough of a downside to make me think of not recommending it! Just remember to zip it up when you're done!

Here is the set from JoAnn.com, although this one comes with the hooks inside -- but as I said, whenever I've seen it in the store, it's been a case without hooks (for a lower price, obviously).

If you can so at all take a look at my etsy shop ( in my signature) and I think I have a few on there.. you should be able to get the idea how to do one and if not I'd be more then happy to share the pattern with you..

the hard shell pencil cases work great for travel holders. I have found some at walmart (hard plastic) and remember those older tin ones? I found some of those at borders in town. since all of my hooks are wood now I am more careful and use the tin ones for my travel one cause it won't bend or break. And it also holds all of those little things like a small tape measure, st markers, pencil, highlighter, needle, small post its and thepost it tabs for keeping my place in the pattern.

If you know how to sew there are a few pattern ideas here and here

very similar to Lea's in her etsy shop. I just made some recently as well.

I loosely followed the 2nd tutorial I linked above and made a few hook cases and a tote with pockets. I just posted about it on my blog, take a look here.

I have also used zippered make up pouches, plastic pencil cases, and the xtra long mini m&m containers.

When I first started crocheting, and knew I was going to stick with it, I was searching for a specific hook. The only place I could find it was in a storage case with all the others. I made the investment. Not only do I have a great case to carry my hooks in, almost one of each fits in it. I have about five stray ones that I just sit inside the case; since it has a zipper, I don't worry about them falling out.

My "extras" are kept in a clear plastic zip-up bag that came with something else.

When I was looking for a way to organize my hooks I found a roll up case used to hold skeins of cross stitch thread worked great. Found them at Joann's, clear palstic inside so you can see your hooks. :yes

I made mine. Crocheted it. Someone here did post the link a few times. ( It is the one with the cream colored photo) I didn't put a zipper on it. Instead, I use a cable stitch holder on it to keep it closed. that way if I need it , it is already there ;-)

It was the first pattern I ever tried with out help from anyone. I made it in varigated yarn and it really is beautiful. I love to get compliments on it.

I used a crochet hook case I bought from lewiscraft years ago. I've had it for probably 10 years! I love it, and it's still in great condition. I still see them in stores, like Michaels, and wal-mart. It's great. It has two strips of elastic sewn down inside (to hold hooks in near the top and bottom ends of hooks.) It even fits my yarn snippers and an extra p hook, that i have (too big for the elastic, but it fits fine in the case, and the case still zips up so nothing falls out. Another thing I do is clip on some small brass looking safety pins to the outside, for stitch markers. I think I may clip them to the inside, because I have to replace them pretty quickly.............I put one safety pin on the case, and hook the rest through that one.

Was it here that someone made the frog hook holder? I printed it out, and am planning to make it for the extra hooks i have. LOL, I have mistakenly bought doubles of hooks, a couple of times........so that way i'll have some at home.....or maybe i should keep it in the car with some yarn for unexpected waits...........

Let's see, I've made the Kluster felted hook case from Berroco for my swap partner, CrochetRN for the Winter Swap, and I hope to make one for my steel hooks sometime. For myself, I currently use narrow plastic pencil cases that I have purchased from Dollar Stores or Big Lots, and they open on both sides and have compartments of various sizes, including one long, narrow one that I put my hooks in. The other compartments I have filled up with stitch markers, measuring tapes (I keep one in each containter), beads, a pair of embroidery scissors, cable stitch markers, dpns, and different sizes of cabone rings (I use these on vintage thread purses). These containers are usually right around $1, and you can see through it to figure out if the item you're looking for is inside. I have three to keep my hooks and dpns separated, and I need to buy one more. One is for plastic and aluminum hooks, another for wood and steel hooks, and the third--the largest--is for my dpns. I may just have to take some time away from other projects to get my thread case designed. Hmmmmm...gives me yet another excuse to practice my Irish Lace!! :devil

michael's just got these really cute plastic "pencil cases" in their dollar bins - they're white with pastel stripes and polka dots. they're great because it's like a plastic box that slides out of a cover and the top has a flap that snaps to the front (did that make ANY sense?!). i bought two of them, one for all my crochet hooks, and the other for my little scissors, tapestry needles, measuring tape, etc. in that picture of my little UFO amigurumi, theyre the things behind him that he's leaning up against lol. they work really well and they're only a dollar!

A make-up bag is a good place to begin. A plastic tube from snacks works well for longer hooks and other things. A clear zippered bag like you find in a notebook is good too. You can see your hooks. A pretty vase works well for display. Also a crystal wine glass can really show off your hooks.

Tupperware has a lot of nice flat containers that can hold different amounts of hooks, etc. I have a nice big one (probably 11 X 8 x 2 inches) is a perfect size to put a lot of 10 inch and smaller knitting needles and other accessories.

Just some ideas. Good luck finding the perfect container(s).

:manyheart

I use the travelling size containers that baby wipes come in. They're flat and long enough to hold my hooks except for the afghan ones.

When I'm travelling, I use old cigar plastic cases.

For crocheting away from home, I like to keep my hooks, tiny scissors, tapestry needle, and tape measure in one of those hard-shell eyeglass cases that snap shut, which are sold at the Dollar Tree (or sometimes come free with eyeglasses). I've used cosmetic bags in the past, but so far the eyeglass case wins out for its compact size and secure closing.

At home, next to my favorite chair, I'm always changing my mind about hook storage. Sometimes it's a decorative box, sometimes a flower pot my daughter painted. A friend sewed me a beautiful hook storage thingie, a la Martha Stewart, made of a pllace mat and trimmed with beads. But it does not hold the hooks securely, and I feel bad that I don't use it.

Currently I use a low, more flat-style plastic disposable "leftovers" container. The hooks I use most of the time fit in on the diagonal, and since it's clear, I can see all my hooks with ease. And it sits on top of my patterns next to my side of the couch - better than having hooks lost in the couch!

I've also recycled the new style of name brand mayonnaise containers with the flip top lid for hooks that I don't use as often. Those are also great for pens and mechanical pencils, BTW.

I have almost all of mine in a pencil case. Originally, I had a small one but I soon outgrew that case. Now I use a larger one that I can put in a measuring tape, scissors, stitch markers, and a stack of index cards with patterns on it. I have one Jimbo hook which actually lives in the box that it was shipped it. I still use that small pencil case for my thread and thread hooks. I use the DMC thread that is in a skein not the Aunt Lydia's thread so it will fit in there. I do use something special for my thread hooks. I use a candy tube. The Mini MM's have a small tube or a big tube, and the big one is the perfect size for thread hooks. It works great. The only problem is that it still smells like chocolate, so it sets off a chocolate fit everytime I open it! LOL

I used this http://craftydaisies.com/2007/03/14/crochet-hook-case/

and it turned out really good ( I am NOT great with sewing machines)

All in all it turned out good, the only thing that I would have done different was to put in a bigger pocket for my tape measure, etc...

But the pattern was really easy and it doesn't use up a whole lot of fabric! :D

Archived