Crochet hook storage

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 5 year old wears glasses and needless to say, we have to replace them fairly often. Each time we get a new pair, she gets a new case. I've comandeered a couple of the cases because they're great for hook storage. My favorite is plain hard plastic (no padding or anything and somewhat translucent) and one end comes off. The other was a hard plastic flip top kind, but eventually it got stepped on and broke.

I finally broke down and bought a Purple zippered case at Wal Mart

I have 1 of ea "C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K & N" in the case on one side andon the other side I have the few steel hooks I own plus 2 large metal yarn needles in the slots. It's cloth inside so I carefully stick some safety pins in for stitch markers. I can set a small pair of safety scissors inside and zip up. It's grab and go for me. I can't rememberhow much it cost me other than it was less than $10.

My extra hooks are in a zippered plastic zip lock type bag. Oh I can usually put small items in a sandwich size zip lock bag and stick it in the zippered bag if I need to.

Pam

• 1 month later...
Anyone have any creative ideas of storing crochet hooks. I could really use a helpful storage medium that would put a hole in my pocket.

Here's a link to my favorite pattern for a crochet hook case and one I would definitely recommend to anyone looking to make a crochet hook case:

http://www.sarahanns.com/crochetworks/case.html

HTH!

- Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

For the time being, I'm using a small zippered 'purse' with a tiny strap handle. My mil found it at the Good Neighbor Distribution Center where she volunteers, and gave it to my youngest dd. She gave it to me to hold my loom knitting hooks, and it's just barely long enough to hold a couple of crochet hooks if I'm careful how I put them in. If it were just a tad longer, I could just use it for all my hooks, but it serves the purpose for now. I also have tossed in some folding scissors and pompom makers.

I have my knitting needles in a 11 - 12 inch tall wide mouth clear vase, and I filled it with a few packages of those bigger glass fish bowl rocks they sell by the pet stuff at Wal-Mart. Looks really cute so I'm now looking for a shorter little vase for my new crochet obsession. :yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn :clap

I have my knitting needles in a 11 - 12 inch tall wide mouth clear vase, and I filled it with a few packages of those bigger glass fish bowl rocks they sell by the pet stuff at Wal-Mart. Looks really cute so I'm now looking for a shorter little vase for my new crochet obsession. :yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn :clap

Sounds like a good excuse to go garage sailing to me! Or just mosey over to Michaels and see what they have there. Are you thinking of those little round vases with frilly edges at the top? We used those for candle holders at my dd's wedding last year. We put those little marbles in the bottom and filled them with water to hold floating candles. Oh, and underneath, we put mirror squares..the effect was really nice.

Ya know I just remembered I have a short little thing floating around with a ruffled top and some purple flowers painted on it..... I think it currently has some Hot Wheels in it (so does everything) but I bet I could commandeer it back no problem! Thanks for mentioning that!:clap

Pencil cases... One for my double point knitting needles, one for my hooks etc for my current "take along" project and another, somewhat bigger one for the kit that stays at home at my "workstation".

Right now I'm working on this one. I'm using Caron Felt-it Yarn and felted a swatch and it came out great! I have a front loader washer. Here's the complete link: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kluster/kluster.html

I plan to tailor the size of the case to my needs. Once I figure out what those are :lol, then I'll finalize the size of it. I have already crocheted it pretty big (not felted yet) but then I thought I want it large enough to hold afghan hooks and the double ended hooks. So, I'll probably frog it and start again.

If you choose this one and I can be of any help, I'd be glad to work with you.

If someone else has already posted the following, please forgive the duplication:

For travel: plastic toothbrush case (the two-piece joining kind)

OR a metal case that comes with reading glasses

OR a metal cigar tube (the kind with the screw-on lid)

At home: Little juice glasses or small glass vases makes it easy to sort

• 4 weeks later...

At home, I use a pretty glass with flowers painted on it. For travel, I used a plastic toothbrush case I found at the local dollar store. It has an oval shape, and is wide enough that I can throw hooks, needles, a 6 inch ruler, and a pair of child-size scissors in it.

I made mine. Crocheted it. Someone here did post the link a few times. ( It is the one with the cream colored photo) I didn't put a zipper on it. Instead, I use a cable stitch holder on it to keep it closed. that way if I need it , it is already there ;-)

It was the first pattern I ever tried with out help from anyone. I made it in varigated yarn and it really is beautiful. I love to get compliments on it.

I think I know which one you're talking about. I think it's the one I made. With "pockets" built in?? I LOVE :manyheart it and also get alot of complements on it as well. I am using a ribbon to hold it shut until I find THE button. I like this one because I can keep it open and see my needles then close it for on the go. THe only problem is that all the pockets are the same size and I am having a hard time getting my N in and out of it. Eventually It will stretch the pocket but for now its a pain. Then I will have to stretch out a pocket for the P when I get it.

Trin made me remember a knitting quandry I had a few months ago also (sorry to offend talking about knitting here!) But how do you keep your DPN sizes marked. I've only got 3 or 4 sets now and I keep them in a rubber band with a scrap of paper with the size on it wrapped around, but there has to be a better way! :think

• 3 weeks later...

Currently I am using an old make up bag for my hooks and accessories, but I LOVE the idea of a vase for the hooks. Another idea I have had would be a tackle box, but I don't think I have enough "stuff" to really need one of those.....YET! (Been crocheting bare bones the last few years, but now I am addicted and will be branching out)

I recently started keeping mine in an old tupperware container I had. about 20 years ago I bought a set of what I think was called "modular mates containers" or something like that, well I never even used them (I think I just bought them because I was invited to a party, and you know how that goes, I had to buy something! lol ) anyway There is a tall skinny round shape one that is the perfect hight for my needles. I don't think they make them anymore (only the oval and square shape ones. but I am so thrilled I actually found a use for one of them after all these years! lol.

OK, I just discovered something when I was typing this post about the Tupperware containers, "Crystal Light" powdered drink mix comes in the same shape containers and I just tested it out and my hooks fit perfectly in them too!!

So if any of you drink "Crystal light", save the containers. between all of us, we could probably come up with some cute crocheted covers for the Crystal Light containers too! ;)

I'm one of those who uses the Crystal Light Tea containers. I just crocheted a cover for it so my kids would stop knocking it over and my needles go flying. This works great for me. I did make it taller than the container because I like leaving a pair of scissors in it. Here are some pictures.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Hoodlumsx4/IMG_3440426x568.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Hoodlumsx4/IMG_3442568x426.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/Hoodlumsx4/IMG_3441426x568.jpg

I think someone else mentioned it on here, but I bought everyone in my family a container of mini M&Ms for stocking stuffers last year and I use two of them. I have my smaller hooks in one, larger hooks in the other. They have a snap-shut lid that's attached to the tube so you can't lose it, and they slide nicely into the side pocket of my project tote.

It's so cool somebody else thought of using them for hooks too! I love that!

Also, for those of you who use iTunes, you can subscribe to Craft magazine and get pdf's of free projects. The last one to come out was patterns for a crochet hook clutch (and a circular knitting needle clutch). It's an interesting design and I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. You can see a picture of it here.

Archived