Slightly used sweeties

Should previously loved dolls be used for charities?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Should previously loved dolls be used for charities?

• Absolutely, those kids need a doll
    • Well, you could do that; I guess
    • Ew! how clean would this doll be?
    • Don't even think about it. ucky, ucky pooh pooh

When I was a kid (before the flood) :help it was acceptable to give a child a previously loved doll and some clothes.

That seems to have changed and if you don't give new, don't give is the new way of thinking.

I am wondering if a child is not better off with a doll that has been made fresh than with no doll at all; thinking of the charities here that help kids who have been taken into care (Family and Children's Services)

Can I get a witness here that it would be nice to have a doll dressed and ready to go to these little ones? If people here also feel that it has to be new, I won't be approaching FACS or the charities about donating rescued dolls. if however you think it could work, let me know that too.

Honesty is important in this. It is not about my feelings, wants and desires,

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was born before the flood too, but apparently not before the blizzard:) . There are many groups that accept "gently used" toys. A group I've donated stuffed animals to is Bears of the World. The toys are washed, maybe a fresh ribbon is added, then they're donated to agencies that give the toys to children who have been displaced by weather or other situations beyond their control.

It's an easy way to make a big, big difference; not everything has to be new and handmade to be appreciated!:manyheart

I think a child that needs a doll or any kind of toy would LOVE to have one new or not it would make a child happy:manyheart and that is all that matters.:yes

I had several of my mom's dolls when I was growing up. Couldn't tell that they weren't just bought (other than the fact you couldn't find them in the store). I think if they're 'lightly used' looking and can clean up well (not stuffies, too many allergy issues there) and are dressed in a nice new handmade pretty that's just as good or even better than new. I wouldn't want to pass on dolls to charity that were 'well loved' or 'played hard'. The kids may or may not notice, but the parents would and could be disheartening: "I'm only good enough for other people's trash..."

Or instead of giving to individual kids in need, how about daycare/after school/ shelter programs that have a community play room? Then you don't expect the dolls to be out of box new, everyone plays with them and shares.

Or instead of giving to individual kids in need, how about daycare/after school/ shelter programs that have a community play room? Then you don't expect the dolls to be out of box new, everyone plays with them and shares.

This is a good idea too. I would like to rescue some of the dollies sitting in thrift stores. Jimmie Lu has got me thinking about those sweeties. I know some of them won't clean up but some do and a pretty new dress/outfit would be nice.

When I took on one of the kids from the Angel Tree I gave that child one of Lucys' used dolls. I crocheted at least two outfits for it and I gave her the clothes that came with it. They adored the baby I gave. I was kind of freaking at first b/c I didn't think they would want the used baby but the lady who organized it said it was fine.

Hi, I'd like to add my 2cents--I have 8 kids and there were christmases that we got help. My kids loved whatever they got, and sometimes it was used, but clean and nice toys. I'm all for giving a used doll with nice clothes. But now that I'm able to help others at christmas, it seems that the rules are "new only". I don't get it.

But I do have to say that I know alot of women in doll groups that collect, redress and give used Barbies or American Girl type dolls and I've never read anything about any doll not accepted:) hope this makes sense:)....................Lise

Those children have generally lost all they have. Something they can call their own is always a wonderful thing. I wonder if maybe those kids think the dolls clothes/blanktes accompaning the doll was made specially for them? Which in a way it is. As for the parents thinking they're getting "other peoples trash" I personally think that is going a bit far. When you've lost everything and are unable to provide for your own children you'd be pretty happy to accept what is on offer very humbly. It can always be a temporary thing. Once you're back on your feet you make a point of buying your children those brand new toys. The toys they were gifted in their time of need probably remain very special to those children. And as for them being second hand, half the time who would know the difference? In all seriousness, unless the doll has chewed fingers or texta on the face, what's to say you didn't buy the doll, remove the original clothing and then make your own?

People need to remember here what Darski is asking. Where YOU may not like to receive second hand for your children, the question isn't what you want. It is what is best for these kids in need. And maybe if you were in that situation of need, your own opinion would change.

Hello Darski,

I myself DO refurbish Dolls, I buy them at thrift stores, or garage sales in the summer,clean them up, make them an outfit, sometimes sew with the machine clothes, sometimes crochet clothes, I try to always include a change of clothes with it. I have refurbished Barbies, to baby dolls, and I donate mine to the local battered womens shelter, MOST ALL of the times these women flee from an abusive relationship with nothing but the clothes on their backs and their children, they are VERY appreciative of my gifts to them, the girls have a dolly to help comfort them in a dark place they now call home at night, and I also "rescue" stuffed animals that boys would like, so they too have something to comfort them. I used to volunteer for the battered womans shelter in town, until I had to go to work full time. I can tell you, these women and children appreciate it sooooooooo much! And it is something they carry with them forever, that someone cared enough to do that for them, and they have that "special baby" forever and ever. I suppose if you think of where you are donating, someplaces ARE snobs, and want only NEW, which is fine, I can understand thier reasoning, I suppose, but there are places where it MAKES a DIFFERENCE, and that is what my giving is all about in this manner. So seak dear and you will find a place to wholeheartedly accept and want these babies.

Many Blessings

JoAnn

Every year there are toy drives here in Montreal (as I'm sure there are in a ton of other cities) around the holidays. The one I'm thinking about is run by fire departments and the firemen clean up, fix and otherwise make used toys perfect again to give to the less fortunate.

Since I have a girl and they typically play 'better' with their things, I'd feel no compuction about handing down anything she doesn't play with anymore, and I encourage anyone to do the same as those toys will do a lot more good in new hands, rather than in a garbage bag sitting at the dump.

Having participated in toy drives etc. in my neighborhood, I think a lot of charities do not want " used " because some people donated absolute garbage. We were given dolls with no heads or broken limbs, cars and trucks with three wheels, or no wheels at all, stuffed animals that I wouldn't have let a dog sleep with......and all these " generous " people thought,' they are poor, they should be thankful for what ever they get'. Personally I see nothing wrong with previously loved toys, gently used, clean toys being offered; better yet with a new wardrobe. The same with clothing, and bedding but I also think its sinful to dump garbage to charities.

Darski I have three grandchildren that are in foster care because of their abusive father. I visit with them once a month. I can tell you first hand that my grandchildren greatly appreciated gifts that their can take with them to their foster home. I believe that a used clean doll with a handmade wardrobe is a great idea. These children have lost everything no fault of their own. Dolls can be very emotionally helpful to a child.

I've been on both sides of this. I was one of the kids that recieved toys from charities, and my kids have recieved them more than once as well.

The one thing I've noticed is this: kids can't tell the difference. More than once I've wrapped up donated toys "from Santa Claus" for my kids at Christmas, and they've been just as excited about those as they were about the stuff that really WAS new. After all, it's all new to THEM!

I do agree with craftconnie1 though - if it really should be in the garbage, then it's senseless to donate it to a charity. To me, that's worse than not donating anything at all. It's almost like a slap in the face to them.

But having said that, it's obvious that you wouldn't donate something "trashy" to any charity. And I think it would be absolutely idiotic of any charity to turn away something that's been lovingly cleaned, taken care of, and even made better by making more clothes to go with it.

Those children have generally lost all they have. Something they can call their own is always a wonderful thing. I wonder if maybe those kids think the dolls clothes/blanktes accompaning the doll was made specially for them? Which in a way it is. As for the parents thinking they're getting "other peoples trash" I personally think that is going a bit far. When you've lost everything and are unable to provide for your own children you'd be pretty happy to accept what is on offer very humbly. It can always be a temporary thing. Once you're back on your feet you make a point of buying your children those brand new toys. The toys they were gifted in their time of need probably remain very special to those children. And as for them being second hand, half the time who would know the difference? In all seriousness, unless the doll has chewed fingers or texta on the face, what's to say you didn't buy the doll, remove the original clothing and then make your own?

People need to remember here what Darski is asking. Where YOU may not like to receive second hand for your children, the question isn't what you want. It is what is best for these kids in need. And maybe if you were in that situation of need, your own opinion would change.

Shell-

What I meant was, in some few cases, eg someone already suffering from depression, a hard-used doll wouldn't go over well, but a gently loved one is more than appropriate.

I'd be happy to recieve anything someone gave me or my little one (if I had a little one :( ) used, new or something in between. :shrug

I think that rule was made b/c some used toys are great, but some are not so great and some people donate not so great used toys. I imagine that it takes a lot more time to sift through the used toys to find the useable toys. It probably just simplifies things to say new toys only.

I used to work in the children services division of a community mental heath center and we used to take toy donations for the children. I could not believe some of the toys we would receive. Some were just absolutely disgusting and most of them were unusable. There were things like stuffed animals with gum stuck in the fur, dolls with the hair cut off and written on, etc. I don't know what the donaters were thinking. It was pretty bad.

I have received "gently used dolls" as a child growing up. The Salvation Army in our area collected these and held a contest each year to have them dressed and displayed in banks and stores. It was an honor to receive one of these. Remembering back then. I was given one that had a crocheted skiing outfit and even had the skis. I think it would be great for you to donate like that.

I agree with everyone here. If the doll or toy are still in good condition then go ahead and donate them. When I lived with my mom, "Santa" sometimes brought me dolls that didn't have a box or wrappings. When I lived with my dad, my stepmom and I would go through all my toys a month or two before Christmas and donate the ones that were in good condition that I didn't use anymore.

My 2 eldest DDs used to help me donate their toys to help make space for their new toys they'd get. I would do this with my youngest DD but unfortunately, she's very hard on her toys. Perhaps when she's a bit older and less rough-and-tumble, she'll have some nice dolls and trucks to donate.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I think the key word or phrases here are "gently used," or "refurbished..." I do think that some people immediately think "used" as someone doesn't bother to clean up, repair and make better before giving. They might also be thinking of things they find in thrift stores that makes you wonder who thought that raggedy (in the bad sense) doll would sell at all.

I personally find it hypocritical that it's okay to sell previously loved dolls and toys on Ebay in an attempt to make a mint, but it's not okay to donate the same item to a charity because, "ewwww...it's used..."

That's what comes to my mind when I hear of such situations.

I do understand with stuffed animals, it's not easy to clean them and sanitize them...I get that, but on the other hand, what's the option...buy new all the time just to give...or just give money...where's the sharing of what you have in that (besides the just the money part of it all...)

I think it's sad if we get to a point where one really believes it's better to give nothing than anything "used..."

I think if it's been made just like new it should be ok. Probably best to check with the charity first. I've donated used toys (no dolls though as I have boys) to the local hospital and it was appreciated. Also, lots of church centres love to receive used toys for their nurseries.

When my children where "children", I use to go through their toys each year before "Santa" came. We were always lucky enough to have to "make room" for things Santa would bring. I would take those items that were in good condition, nothing broken, nothing missing,clean them up and give them away. At that point in time no charity was asking for "new only". We would donate to local organizations and churches. This was a habit I learned from my Mom, who did the same thing when my siblings and I were growing up The only important thing then, was that an item was clean and in good condition. I still think that being clean and in good condition should still be the only criteria. So many more people would be able to give if "new only" wasn't the only thing acceptible now. And I do agree, a child that has lost everything, or one who has never had any play things, is going to love an item whether it is new or already gently loved.

Archived