Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm back! The doctor visit went okay for the most part. My A1C went from 6.6 to 6.5 which was good. Vital signs and BP all good. No changes in meds. But I gained 6 pounds which was totally unacceptable and got chewed out for it. :thumbdown Sigh! :sigh I can't win for losing sometimes it seems. :ohdear Sigh! :sigh

Awwww sweetie...you got chewed out for 6 pounds? After the holidays? Your doctor is insensitive...especially since all your other stats are good...focus on the positive and get back on that horse okay...everything will be okay.

When I went to the doctor for my leg in December, I hopped on that scale and just about passed out...I weighed the most I've ever weighed...but I know why...#1, the scale at the doctor's office is ALWAYS higher than my home one...#2, we were in the middle of the holidays and it had been stressful and when I'm seriously stressed, I tend to medicate with food, and #3 I had been stressed for the last few years what with the move home, getting settled, being apart from Hub-e and so on...and I know I had been putting on the pounds anyway...

That being said, it was a wake up call for me to pay more attention to the scale at home...and as such, I've lost about 5 or 6 pounds if not more...and without depriving myself...

My other motivation is that I really don't want to be put on high blood pressure meds...so in order for me not to have to take meds, I have to shed some of this weight...

Big hugs Linda...everything will be alright...

:cheer:yay:clap:yay:woo Its the weekend!!!!!! I'm so excited to have 2 days off (which is what I normally have- but after working 12 days in a row- this sounds like heaven to me)

DH ordered Chinese food and now I'm nice and full and looking forward to spending some hooking time!

Julie- I can totally relate to the thread and the dishcloths- I like making dishcloths, but in spurts- and in between larger projects. With cotton, though, you could make a tote and not just dishcloths- or a tote for your Kindle- or a spring hat- Hoping that the microfiber yarn works out for you- what are you planning on making with it?

Kiyo- The Bernat CAL was fun- but not so much the gazillion mitred squares!!!! I do like the way it turned out in the end though and it looks pretty in my living room! That's great that you got some more orders!!! Oh, and good luck driving tomorrow!

Linda- WTG on the good exam today!!! That's great that your A1C came down. And I wouldn't worry about 6 lbs- especially when everything else was good. ---I'm here cheering you on:cheer:cheer:cheer that you can get that off in no time (of course, that means no banana bread or any of those other delicious goodies you make):lol:lol Just kidding- but it's all about moderation- that's the one great lesson I've learned from WW- and you can eat all the fruit and veggies you want! I don't feel deprived- and I've become conscious of food portions. Although tonight with the amt of Chinese food I ate, you'd never know that:lol But tomorrow is another day and I'll be back on track!!!

Mary- I couldn't believe when i heard that some folks were injured with falling ice at Dallas Stadium!!! Really crazy temps for you in TX for sure!!! We're expected to get a "wintry mix" again tomorrow! But Sunday, sunny and 40- and then colder again next week-

Marisa- Hope today was way less crazy than yesterday and Pink is close to Red so that's good. One of my co-workers wore her Steelers jersey today, but she did wear her Red undergarments!:lol And of course there was the little diamond of red on the Steelers logo!

Off to crochet for a bit. Hope you all have a good evening!:hug

LeAnna- Good to hear from you- one of my motivations for losing wt- to try and get off BP meds- but not sure if 8 more lbs is going to do it. We'll see next time I go to the doc- According to WW my goal is 135- I'm at 142 now.

Well ladies........I'm still here at work.......Listening to Bon Jovi really loud, only one here. Entering loads, dispatching drivers and thinking how I want to go home!

Hi Ladies,

Kiyo, I've heard of that card game slap your neighbor but I've never played or know anything about it.

Mary, We had ice. It was just starting when we were leaving from cards. No delivery of propane. Many people not happy! My nephew is at Ft.Hood and they didn't work today due to the snow. That's kind of strange the army can't work because of snow with all they go through the rest of the year.

Julie, I hope the yarn works for you.

Linda, Glad the doctor appt went well. Don't beat yourself up. When the time is right you will do it.

LeAnna, I'm at my heaviest weight to. I hope the weather warms up so I can get out and walk. Are second winter in Texas I walked up to the clubhouse and rode my bike and lost 10lbs.

Joanne, Enjoy your weekend!

This morning I had to scrape ice. We did a little bit of prepping for are breakfast meal tomorrow. Early day tomorrow, I have to be there at 6.

One of are friends here does woodcarving and they are having a show so we will go to the either tomorrow or sunday. We went last year and it was awesome.

My bil is home from the hospital but he doesn't know the results of the test yet. Follow up with his doctor and some more test.

DD just called and she came home from work sick. Sounds like the flu. I said keep Maya away from you so she doesn't get it to.

Maya said thank you for the get well wishes.

I'm going to go get my clothes around for morning. Hope everyone has a nice weekend! Stay warm and be safe!

Marlene- Hope that DD is up and feeling better soon- and hopefully since Maya is on medications for her dbl ear infection- she'll be ok... Have fun at your breakfast- and hoping that TX warms up for you- isn't that why you go there in the Winter? To be warm?:lol

Marisa- I watched the Sixers/Knicks game- it was a good one- and I'll be you were happy your team won!:cheer

I finished the last strip and weaved in the ends of the flannelghan and will be sewing it to the rest of the afghan tomorrow and then starting the border! :yay

Off to bed to read or fall asleep---I have a sneaky feeling that sleep is going to win out!;)

Good morning and Welcome to the Weekend!!!

Tab- Thanks for stopping in:hug

I read on another thread that Tammy's DH is home:clap:clap:clap

Not much else to report- I need to go get my coffee and do some cleaning :(

I'll stop back later!!!

Good morning fellow House people

How are you all doing this fine day ? No new snow or ice,just the same pile,and freezing cold out . I am REALLY tired of winter and cold and snow .

Nothing much new in my world today. Cam was here for supper last night ,and may be up later this afternoon. I told him to call if he wants to come up and we'd come get him .

I've done a little crocheting with the yarn I got the other day .Havent used it a lot yet,just a little bit here and there . So far, nothing real bad ....it's the microfiber type yarn,so probably has some small little doodads coming from it as you use it, but nothing real noticeable .

I bought 2 embroidery kits, so they will be my backups if this yarn fails too . I used to love doing embroidery when I was a teen ,but dont do much of it anymore . These are the stamped embroidery kits,not the counted ones. I always mess those up .

Gotta make a run to the pharmacy to pick up my med refills today and that is about the extent of my day .

Hope you all have a good one !

Good morning Julie and Joanne.

Tab, glad to hear from you again.

Joanne, so glad you have the weekend off, finally. You must be exhausted. Hope you have a nice relaxing couple of days.

Julie, I've been doing some stamped embroidery off and on too. I find it quite relaxing, and very portable. No counting stitches, no forgetting where you are in the pattern, and embroidery thread is cheap! I bought some iron on transfers, (remember those?) and put the designs on pillow cases. I've also found quite a few free designs on-line, although I'm not sure of the best way to transfer the designs. So far I've only tried a watercolor pencil, but I haven't washed it yet to see if the lines disappear.

Hope you get to see Cam today.

Today is going to be a quiet day here. After I worked all day yesterday, and went out last night, and didn't get home until midnight, I am dragging this morning. The only chore I need to accomplish is a few loads of laundry.

Hi :hi What a whirl-wind week this has been. Joanne ~ I really feel for you, having gone that many days without a break. Put your feet up and ENJOY your days off. The girls' Spirit Week concluded, yesterday, with Class Olympics in the gymnasium. Sure, there were the regular relay races and football tosses, but they also had relays to see how quickly 3 children from each class could pop balloons by sitting on them. This one caused many of us parents watching from the sidelines to have tears streaming down our faces while we laughed, because the little Kindergarteners and and 1st Graders tried to set their balloons down on the folding chair, cover their ears, and then sit on the balloon to pop it. Yes, you guessed it, the balloon squeezed out the hole at the back of the chair and the chilren had to go and chase the balloon down before trying again. It really was not possible to pop the balloons while covering one's ears :rofl Friday afternoon's activities were definitely a mood-lifter.

I have not done much on the crochet-front all week. I attached the handles to my felted purse and carried it, yesterday. It is really cute, though I wish it were a tad smaller and less 'floppy' in the middle, but I am going to use this one as-is. Kyri's Pinwheel Sweater has 1-1/3 sleeves. She really would like to wear it next week, before we leave on vacation, and I think that is do-able.

My heart is with all of you still dealing with the stormy winter weather. Did I read right, that there is more bad weather on the way for next week? :faintOur thermometer hit the mid-20s ABOVE 0*, yesterday, and it was glorious! Today, it is supposed to be similar outside, so I think we need to get out and enjoy the sticky snow a bit. Next week, we drop to the teens and twenties below 0, so I am going to relish this taste of spring :yes

Have a good Saturday :manyheart

Good morning again-

Dusti- It sure sounds like yesterday was alot of fun!!! WTG on finishing the felted purse- Pics???

Cindy- Enjoy your day today. I've never done embroidery- well, I lie, I did do a counted cross stitch about 30 years ago- and never finished it- or did I? In any case- it is long gone. I've done whatever cleaning is going to get done. Bathrooms and kitchen- the important rooms!:lol

Still have to do grocery shopping- but it is raining ice pellets right now- I'M SO SICK OF WINTER!!!! Ok, glad I got that out!:lol

I do have some laundry to do too, but that may just wait till tomorrow morning- we'll see how the day goes.

Julie- That's nice you had Cam last evening- and that so far so good with the microfiber yarn. That was a good idea to pick up stamped embroidery kits especially since you used to enjoy doing them!

Tomorrow is DD and SIL's Super Bowl Party- and the big announcement to all their friends. That should be fun- and instead of cooking I ordered Rice Balls to bring from our favorite Italian Deli (they're from Brooklyn) It is my intention to take it easy this weekend!!!!:D

Good Morning!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello.....I am alive and kicking. :cheer

Hello Tabby!

Marlene ~ I sure hope this is over soon and South Texas (and North ;)) get back to normal temps! MIL and FIL used to take their RV to Fulton in the winter...one year we drove down to see them and it was frigid! But a few days later it was 80*!

Linda ~ Oh, we'd love to see the stockings when you can post pictures. :hook

Cindy ~ I used to do lots of embroidery, needlepoint and counted cross stitch...and probably still have all the supplies. :lol Thanks for the reminder - I need to see what's in those "mystery boxes."

Dusti ~ What fun to see the kids' games! And congratulations on finishing your purse and getting a good start on Kyri's sweater. :clap

Hi Julie, LeAnna, Kiyo, Joanne and all of the House Ladies! :manyheart

Parts of the Metroplex are still frozen solid...including us. We almost live "in the country," but in a traditional neighborhood. No one would think of sanding or clearing anything out here. :lol By midday, we hope to get out for a grocery/lunch trip. There's a possibility of light snow tomorrow and more ice/snow on Tuesday night! :(

Hi Cindy

Where were you able to find the online embroidery design things ? Yea, I remember the envelopes of the iron on type transfers,but have never tried using them. I saw some pillowcases to embroider over at the shop I stopped in,but have never tried them .

The ones I got were dresser scarves .

Dusti

That school program sounds like it would have been so cute . We went to one of Cam's school programs last spring,and it was so cute watching the little kids .

Joanne

That will be fun tomorrow to go to the football party plus get to be there for the exciting news ! I forgot when did you say she is due-- was it summertime ?

And when will they find out what it is ? Do you hope it will be a boy since you had all girls ?

Mary

Sure hope your weather gets better down there .You guys arent used to getting all that bad stuff ! Up here, we are kinda used to it,but we still get tired of it every year ..Winter seems WAY too long .

Hi Cindy

Where were you able to find the online embroidery design things ? Yea, I remember the envelopes of the iron on type transfers,but have never tried using them. I saw some pillowcases to embroider over at the shop I stopped in,but have never tried them .

The ones I got were dresser scarves .

here is a blog with quite a few free designs:

http://mytransfers.blogspot.com/

This one has links to a bunch of free designs:

http://www.needlecrafter.com/patterns.html

Hi Cindy

Thanks for the links. I read on one that you click on the picture and it takes you to her Flicker page and you can make the picture larger,then you print it out and trace it onto your fabric with a transfer pen .

Did you say you have done that ,or just used the iron-on sheets you buy ?

Remember the hardware store down at our reunion that has all the yarn ? They also have TONS of stamped embroidery packages - baby and adult quilts ,table cloths, etc ...every type item you could think of, plus lots of cases full of embroidery thread .

I'm wondering how those transfer pens work and how hard itd be to get your design put on so it is evenly spaced .

Hi Cindy

Thanks for the links. I read on one that you click on the picture and it takes you to her Flicker page and you can make the picture larger,then you print it out and trace it onto your fabric with a transfer pen .

Did you say you have done that ,or just used the iron-on sheets you buy ?

Remember the hardware store down at our reunion that has all the yarn ? They also have TONS of stamped embroidery packages - baby and adult quilts ,table cloths, etc ...every type item you could think of, plus lots of cases full of embroidery thread .

I'm wondering how those transfer pens work and how hard itd be to get your design put on so it is evenly spaced .

I have done both. I printed the design, taped the design to window and then the fabric, and then used a water color pencil to lightly trace the design to the fabric. I considered buying a transfer pen, but haven't yet.

Sounds like that hardware store is a treasure house! If I thought I'd ever finish it, I'd do a Christmas tablecloth to match my Christmas dishes. They are just a holly design, and I saw suitable tablecloths in either the Mary Maxim or Herrschners catalogue last year.

Hi ladies :hi

My sixers won last night :clap:yay I woke up this morning and decided to come home to my parents house. My mom's heading out to visit the kids in phoenix in about a week and a half so I wouldn't be home again before she left. I downloaded the nook software on her ipad and linked it to my account. So now she also has all the books I just downloaded and I showed her how to shop and download with it too. She won't do too much of that though since it will automatically go on my credit card, and that makes her feel bad. :lol Of course I told her don't worry about it.

I've noticed that I'm not getting any sound on my nook :( I'm going to swing past B&N tomorrow and question them about it. I've checked the volume and mute settings already :think The Pandora (radio application) appears to play, but I don't hear anything :(

I read through all the posts but didn't take notes so am not responding individually.

However, I do want to encourage Linda and her weight. You've had a good report otherwise, so don't sweat it. Like Joanne said, it's all about moderation :yes My mom got chewed out with 3 pounds :eek They're getting crazy now adays :( You'll be fine sweetie :hug :hug :hug

Joanne

That will be fun tomorrow to go to the football party plus get to be there for the exciting news ! I forgot when did you say she is due-- was it summertime ?

And when will they find out what it is ? Do you hope it will be a boy since you had all girls ?

It will be lots of fun tomorrow! When I was out and about I stopped at the Gap and they had some maternity clothes on clearance with an additional 30% off. I found the cutest shirt- its a dusty purple and it says clearly not a secret! It cost me 3.45!!!! So I'm going to give it to her tomorrow! She is expecting Aug 4th and will find out if she is having a boy or girl in about 5 weeks! It would be fun to have a boy since I have all girls, but girls are alot of fun to dress up too- so either way- I'm good! I just want to know cause there are so many cute things to buy!:)

Marisa

I did watch the game last night- it was a good one!!! Have fun at your parents! I have never tried to listen to music from my Nook so can't help you out there. I do have to download the Nook app to my IPad though and link it to my Nook acct. And download my ITunes to it.

Well, housemates, it has been a busy day- the ice pellets switched over to rain, so I headed out and did the grocery shopping and stopped at the Gap on the way there. Groceries are all put away, and the flannel'ghan strips are all together and now I'm going to watch some shows I have on DVR and crochet a border on it!

Cindy

Yep, that hardware store is a real shocker. First time I went in there, it's all the boring man stuff -hammers and naails and paint ,then when you get to the back of the store,all LADY stuff . Much larger supply of craft equipment than in any Walmart I have been in .

I hope to make it down this year so I can take a look at their embroidery things again .

I've seen those pretty Christmas tablecloths -- they would be beautiful and a neat heirloom item to make and use ,but I'm with you,not sure I would ever finish anything so big .

Joanne

Yep, you will have so much fun buying baby stuff .The girls do have much cuter items than boys, but boy grandsons are just as fun as girls to hold and play with as they grow .

You will be a fantastic grandma .

Marisa

That was nice of you to visit with your mom before she leaves on her trip .

Wish I could help you with how to make the sound work on your nook,but I'd be clueless. I did figure out how to do the reading thing on my kindle so it will read to me, but I dont like it much -- it sounds like a robot reading ,and some words it mis-pronounces .You can choose a man or ladie's voice but neither one sounds like a real person .

It's still supposed to be in experimental phase or some such thing,so maybe they will improve it at some point .

Archived