Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

Hi Linda

Yea, I have certainly had some odd experiences. You wouldnt think ANYTHING of note ever happens in a place like this, but it can be quite entertaining sometimes .

Kim probably is really worn out. Those hospitals are certainly no place to sleep, they wake you about every 15 minutes.

Maybe some of her meds are making her kinda nauseous, so maybe that is why she doesnt seem to be hungry .

Jude

Glad you got your hairdo all fixed just the way you like it ...you guys are funny talking about your dogs.

And we have ok insurance ,but wish it was better. I guess we should be thankful we have it !

As for Huck Finn, I LOVED it,but read it when I was about 12 ..I think it's one of those "have to be a certain age" to enjoy it. I probably wouldnt enjoy it nearly as much now, but loved it then .

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John took a shot at a buck last night but it was too dark to track it then. He went back today and found it! A 9 pointer. He's on the way to the meat processor as we speak. That makes 3 does and one buck for him for this year and a lot of meat for the freezer. Yay! :yay :yay He is one happy camper. :manyheart

John took a shot at a buck last night but it was too dark to track it then. He went back today and found it! A 9 pointer. He's on the way to the meat processor as we speak. That makes 3 does and one buck for him for this year and a lot of meat for the freezer. Yay! :yay :yay He is one happy camper. :manyheart

Can I ask a goofy question-----how do you guys count your points? Sorry-just asking because I heard that people your way count them different than people out here in the west! Just curiosity! I'm no hunter so I don't really care, just my curiosity wandering! WOOO HOOO! I am one that will eat deer meat though! I love deer steaks!

Kiyo

I will jump in on this one and GUESS. I'm not acquainted with any hunters myself ,but I THINK they count the number of points or antlers,whatever them things are called on a deer's horns .

GUESSING .

Last Fall, I took a few days and went down south to stay in the motel where my family is from . All alone, just a little time away to ponder life .

When I checked in ,the motel manager put me in the room closest to the office because the whole motel was filled with HUNTERS ,and she thought I might be AFRAID to be the only lady there with all those men .

HA HA !! Havent found a person yet that I was scared of !!!

I DID think they'd be loud and rowdy and drink beer,play cards and hoot and holler all night,but they went to bed before ME ! ( And 9 PM is a late night for me .)

Anyhow, I "cornered " one of them in the room where the ice and pop machines are .

I asked him what he was hunting for,and if they caught any yet,and what they do when they catch one ,and how they get ahold of it so it doesnt get away .

By the time I asked another half dozen questions, he left the ice room without his ice ..

He looked more afraid of me than if he was hunting a grizzly bear !!

Pretty funny, because the men down there are so very polite and mannerly to ladies,just like back in the old days before you were a sparkle in your daddy's eyes .

I asked him what kind of gun he used and he said he uses a bow and arrow and I asked him didnt that HURT when it hit the deer ,and why they dont use a gun and shoot him,and why they hang the deers heads on their walls,and if they want meat why dont they go down the road to the IGA and buy a pack .

Anyhow, that may be the one time in history that someone converted a hunter to a vegetarian .

Hi all,

Didn't have time to post this morning- as I got up, had coffee, hopped in the shower, got dressed and was out the door by 6! I wanted to get in early so that if the weather was very bad, i could leave early. I left at about 3:15 today- the car had some ice on it, but the roads were fine. I think overnight into tomorrow is when we are going to have more ice.

Since I've been literally "living" in that place called paradise, as soon as I got home, I gathered the laundry and started that. I also decided to do a quick dusting and vacuuming of the bedrooms upstairs and living room. The laundry is in the dryer and in a little bit I'll start the dinner. DH is out and won't get home till about 7:30.

Last night I started another one of the dishclothes from Priscilla Hewitt- #1 this time- but only got about 1/3rd of the way done- and then it was bed time for me!!

Hope all that are in the eye of this nasty winter storm stay safe and warm.

Dusti- I can't wait to see how your felted piece came out!!! How exciting- that is still on my list of things to do- and I sure have enough wool in my stash!

Linda- Sounds like Kim will be fine- just slow to recover- and with the TLC you give her (as well as the pups) she'll be good in no time! Well, i see the deer won- I'm happy for John- and happy for you that you'll have plenty of venison in the freezer.

Kiyo- You crack me up - you have a great sense of humor and wit! Love it

Julie- I was LOL reading your posts- especially the one about talking with the hunters- that's too funny - that you probably turned him into a vegetarian. Insurance costs are going up - and benefits going down- I work in the insurance industry and all the healthcare reform benefits that have been mandated are driving up the cost of the benefits to consumers (for example- plans have to cover children until age 26 (it used to be till they graduated college or age 23 or so) Lifetime maximum's have been eliminated (which is good for everyone) but there is a cost to that (and you know who pays that cost? Of course you do- it's the consumer). Well visits are now $0---another boon- but that will cut into the physicians' bottom line- so who will pay for increased costs in "sick" visits? We will...Enough of the soapbox- but like they say there is no free lunch!!!

Cindy- Hope you make it home safe and sound from work and enjoy your two days off.

Mary- That's unusual weather for TX!! This winter is just crazy and I sure hope the Groundog tomorrow predicts an early spring!

Judy- Back to the Bob- and comfort! Glad you had your hairdresser appointment!

Marisa- My DH was at B&N last night and he said he asked the "nook person" about the web browser- she told him that it is much easier on the Nook color and a little cumbersome to use on the regular Nook. I forgot to put my Nook in my bag today so didn't stop at B&N on my way home. Hope you had a good day

LeAnna- Did you have a good choir rehearsal today?

I'm going to start the last strip of my flannel'ghan that's staring at me tonight and work on that for a little while tonight while watching Biggest Loser

bbl

Julie- OMgoodness!!!! I am over here just laughing my head off- between the two of us we might just be something in here to bust at the seams! ahahahaa! It's great! I'm sure you all are just asking yourselves where I came from and please go back! :) Thank you for putting up with me!

Julie- OMgoodness!!!! I am over here just laughing my head off- between the two of us we might just be something in here to bust at the seams! ahahahaa! It's great! I'm sure you all are just asking yourselves where I came from and please go back! :) Thank you for putting up with me!

Absolutely not!!! Love having you IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!:hug

DH just called and is leaving now- so hopefully he'll be home at 6:30-- which means, I've gotta start dinner NOW!

Maybe you will need MY DOILY!!!!!!

NIGHT NIGHT PEEPS! Running to the bank, then to get my munchkin from dance, then home for dinner......hmmmmm.......what to eat! Loves to you all, be back tomorrow!! ~~~BE SAFE IN YOUR CRAZY WEATHER MY LADIES IN THE EAST!!!~~~

Dinner is cooking- baked chicken, red potatoes and broccoli!

Forgot to report on my Weight Watchers weigh in today at work- gained .6 lbs :eek but I figured as much with this crazy hours- I'm not eating as healthy as I should be! And it's not even a pound, so no worries. Just found out that the last meeting is next Tuesday---but they are going to offer it again:clap so I've signed up to continue- it keeps me on track!!!

There is a walking challenge at work that will be starting Feb 14. Teams of 5- and you wear a pedometer and each week HR has to read it- all walking counts- at home, at work- everywhere! So five of us on my current team are joining forces which will be fun since the project will be ending before the walking challenge does, we'll get to spend time with each other. I have to say this is the BEST team I've ever worked with and Paradise just won't be the same when it's over:(

Kiyo

I will jump in on this one and GUESS. I'm not acquainted with any hunters myself ,but I THINK they count the number of points or antlers,whatever them things are called on a deer's horns .

GUESSING .

Last Fall, I took a few days and went down south to stay in the motel where my family is from . All alone, just a little time away to ponder life .

When I checked in ,the motel manager put me in the room closest to the office because the whole motel was filled with HUNTERS ,and she thought I might be AFRAID to be the only lady there with all those men .

HA HA !! Havent found a person yet that I was scared of !!!

I DID think they'd be loud and rowdy and drink beer,play cards and hoot and holler all night,but they went to bed before ME ! ( And 9 PM is a late night for me .)

Anyhow, I "cornered " one of them in the room where the ice and pop machines are .

I asked him what he was hunting for,and if they caught any yet,and what they do when they catch one ,and how they get ahold of it so it doesnt get away .

By the time I asked another half dozen questions, he left the ice room without his ice ..

He looked more afraid of me than if he was hunting a grizzly bear !!

Pretty funny, because the men down there are so very polite and mannerly to ladies,just like back in the old days before you were a sparkle in your daddy's eyes .

I asked him what kind of gun he used and he said he uses a bow and arrow and I asked him didnt that HURT when it hit the deer ,and why they dont use a gun and shoot him,and why they hang the deers heads on their walls,and if they want meat why dont they go down the road to the IGA and buy a pack .

Anyhow, that may be the one time in history that someone converted a hunter to a vegetarian .

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

The deer have 2 antlers, one on each side of their head. A 4 point buck usually will have 2 points on each of the 2 antlers for a total of 4. John's buck had 4 points on one antler and 5 points on the other antler for a total of 9. I'm not sure if that helped or not, but anyway we count every point on both antlers to come up with the total.

We're getting fairly heavy, steady rain at the moment. It got foggier and foggier as the day wore on and then started to drizzel, and then rain, and now it's pretty heavy.

Kim ate a better supper tonight. Her foot and hand aren't as swollen tonight, too. Progress! :yay

Joanne - I have a url address bar. I don't really know if I have a home screen since it just opens up with what I was doing last :think Good luck. You may get to work from home a day or two this week :xfin Too bad it's at the expense of the weather though :hug

Mine also just opens up to where I was last. Wonder if that is a Nook color only feature?

It's fun watchign Julie have a sparring partner...the rest of us are too sedate for her:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Joanne, you may be working from home tomorrow...but the weather people aren't even sure what's going to happen...

And more bad weather lining up down the road....:eek

'nite ladies!

Very busy day at work today, although I can't say it was a bad day. I'm glad I have a couple of days off, and not just because of the weather.

And speaking of weather, we are still waiting for the big blizzard to hit. The blizzard warning started here at 5 Pm, (its nearly 8 now), and so far its just snowing lightly. I don't even hear much wind.

However, its got plenty of time to get nasty. At work, they are so sure of the weather being horrible, that they set up sleep rooms for staff. They are encouraging people who work tomorrow to come in tonight and sleep at the hospital.

Dusti, its not as cold here as you have. Last weekend, it was 15 below, and that is unusually cold for us.

Linda, glad Kim had a good night last night. And good for John for providing all that meat.

Julie, glad you made it out to the doctors and back safely.

Kiyo, glad the dog was able to do her "thing" and feel better afterwards. haven't you got that "doily" done yet?

Judy, our health insurance premiums also went up, all co-pays went up, and we now have co-pays for services that didn't have co-pays before. I work in health care, and the HMO that provides my insurance is owned by the health care system I work for.

As for Huck Finn, I read it when i was 10 or 12, and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'd like it now.

I am busy doing laundry at the moment. I'm a little worried about losing power if the winds are as strong as they predict. I ran the vacuum last night. If we do lose power, I'm planning to sit by the fire and read on my Nook which is fully charged. (gotta have a plan!!)

Good evening everyone,

Work was slow early and picked up as the day went on :yes I actually ate some food today and have been ok although I didn't push it at all either. Just eggs and toast at bfast, which usually does sit fairly well with me. At lunch I had a grilled cheese sandwich. And just had some veggies now since I didn't all day. So, it's not much, but better than the past 2 days :yes:clap:yay At least today I was FEELING hungry too. I guess it was my body putting me back in check :think My cycle did start today, but I never get like this from that so am just thinking that I'm fighting off something small.

The roads were fine getting to and from work today and it was just starting to be misty in the air on my way home, so it hasn't started here yet.

Dusti - How did Annika's hairdo come out?

Julie - You totally crack me up young lady :rofl Makes me remember this..... At the game the other night, there was 2 guys there with their sons, maybe 8ish and the one kid was there with his father the game before that. They stood out because I remember the father yelling at the kid a few times. Well anyway, he yelled at him about running through the restaurant and the kid started yelling, very loudly back, and the father started to warn him about if it happened again and the kid kept yelling what are you gonna do, are you gonna kill me dad, because that's what your saying and went on and on. Well Maryann and I are in stitches laughing our butts off between these 2 and what happens but the father appologizes to the kid :eek So after their meals, the 2 kids went to sit out in the seats and were right in front of us. The kid turned to look at his father, saw he wasn't looking and elbowed the other kid in the face twice :eek (It's sound proof glass right there so you can't hear anything) I gave that kid such a look that he turned around, sat down, and did mess around anymore!!!! We know who wears the pants in that family. ----- I hope your new meds work better for you :xfin And I also find food a great enjoyment :lol

Kiyo - I must agree with Noelle, I don't like wagging my tail when I gotta go and am totally different after :rofl :rofl :rofl

Linda - Glad to hear that Kim's being a bit feisty and although she's not eating alot yet, at least there is improvement :yes I wish I lived closer with all that vennison you've got going on there :drool

Judy - :yay for getting your hair done

Joanne - :yay for getting some cleaning done. I guess if it's harder with your nook, you may as well stick to your ipad ;) One of the benefits of many gadgets :lol Your walking challenge sounds very motivating :yes

Cindy - Enjoy your couple days off, and with all the bad weather, I guess you'll get some 'me' time ;):lol

<de-lurk>Well this is certainly some snow storm. Not a ton of snow... yet. But it's so light and the wind is having a merry ole time with it.

I finally used a snow blower for the first time today, and I'm not sure how much of an improvement it was over using a shovel. My back isn't nearly as tired and it didn't take as long, BUT I was way colder than after shoveling. The snow blower moved the snow well enough I guess, but then the wind got a hold of it and had fun whipping it back in my face. I ended up putting aside my glasses, as I could actually see better without them. I'm one of those people that wears my glasses practically 24/7, so that should give you an idea of how badly they were getting fogged/snowed up.

Anyway, I finally finished with the snow blower and ended up shoveling the drive anyway. Sigh. At least it was only another 1/2 - 1 inch left to be shoveled. But I didn't think you were supposed to have to shovel when using a snow blower. When I got in I changed clothes immediately since I was practically an ice cube.

Anyone have any suggestions on snow blowing techniques? Maybe it's just a matter of going at it a bit different, or I suppose I could just need some practice.<lurk>

Hi Ladies,

It's freezing here just like every where tonight. We are having a hard freeze every night through friday. The park turned the water off so it doesn't freeze and break pipes. DD is suppose to get 18". She closed her store at 7:30 and it took her an hour to go pick Maya up and get home. She said the wind was blowing so bad.

I got a hair cut today and think I should of waited. It kept me warm. It is cut above the shoulders and hasn't been this short in many years.

My bil could use some prayers. He's in the hospital. He's been loseing weight and not trying to for many months. They have run test and they come back okay. But he keeps having stomach pains and throws up after he eats. He does have a hiatal hernia. They said his pancress and liver levels are allevated. Tomorrow they are doing an mri on his pancress. I'm really worried about cancer. I have a gf who was married to bils uncle and all of his aunts and uncles on his mothers side have all had cancer and some have died from it. I hope it isn't that bad.

I heard a friend of mine has cancer and she has been taking care of her daughter who has cancer. She could use some prayers to.

I read all todays posts but I'm not going to answer everyone. Just want to say be safe and stay warm! Have a good wednesday!

Hey Kiyo

You aint going anyplace, my friend . You add lots of life to the house and say such funny,ornery things .

Stick around so we can take this show on the road. We keep everyone entertained with our yakking I think .

You both sure do keep us entertained. I for one love coming home each day to read what you've all been bantering about:D

Good morning from Icy NJ!

I'm up bright and early yet again. Schools have a 2 hr delay so I guess the weather is supposed to improve, but right now- ice on the branches/road, etc. I don't drive in ICE- oh, no way!:no Watching the news- and seeing reports of lots of accidents. We'll see what it is later on.

To those of you in the brunt of the massive storm in the midwest- stay safe!! This has been some winter so far.

Today is Groundhog Day!!! Wonder if the groundhog will be able to break through the ice today?

Marlene- :hug and prayers for your BIL! And for your GF and her family. I kind of chuckled about you getting your hair cut- just in time for the cold weather! Isn't that always the way?:lol I'll bet it looks nice though!

Faille- We have a snowblower- thank goodness- it doesn't always get to the blacktop, but it sure makes it easier than shoveling IMO. Even if you have to shovel a little at least most of it is taken care of by the snowblower. Now if it could only do steps!! If it's really windy out, the snow does tend to blow back in your face sometimes, but it helps to go in the opposite direction of the way the snow is blowing if that makes sense. Stay warm!!

See you all later!

Delayed opening for me at 11- so at least I know I don't have to go in early- we'll see what the weather looks like around 9 - and then I'll decide if I'm just going to go in- or work from home.

See you later--

Archived