Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

Hi Wendy and Cookie

Your afghans are very pretty and it looks like you both had a little of the same color scheme in mind ! I have never made anything yet in purple ,although I say all the time that I'm gonna . One of these days I will.

Nice job to both of you !

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok stupid question... but since I have never finsihed a giant granny sqaure how many skeins of yarn do most people end up using. I am going to go get some red heart tonight, so the sooner I get a response the better. Thanks!

Yikes thats a great question although I wont be too much help it really depends on how big a gahn you want to make. I did mine as a scrap gahn and used from my stash so I know I am not a big help but if you go and post size wise youll get a better response

Wendy & Cookie~Your ghans are beautiful! Great job! :cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer

I have been working on another granny ghan for one of my 11 yr. old twins. I'm using camoflauge & dark sage because I received those colors for Christmas and had to put them to good use somehow. I have 2 skeins left, 1 of each so i'll have to see how big it turns out. I might have to buy a couple more, we'll see. I'm not in any rush so i've just been using as a relaxing break project. :D

Hi, I'm a long time lurker to this thread; First saw it when there were less than a page of posts. Anyway, this is my first post here at C'ville (maybe ever -- I think I tried to comment once but it went awry).

The hold up was having to teach myself how to deal with pics (past taking them.) But now that I have taken them and uploaded em and all, I better show...

UPDATE: OK, so I better say that the idea was to work 3 squares to match my sister's livingroom rug (big red flowers, on toast -- as in background color, not as in for breakfast) and then work the granny clusters around. Also was in big-time stash-using handmade Christmas gift mode, so some of these yarns are from K-Mart and Venture, long gone stores, wee preprinted prices -- lots could be said about thicknesses, acrylics used, etc. The idea was to use as many "family stash" yarns as I could, and put the full names of the family members who may have contributed on a card with the gifts -- a sort of geneological angle.

Currently at about 13 granny rows -- but have to take more pics.

I also started 2 more traditional granny-ghans for nephews, using my variation on the onceuponapattern start (having got some input from recipients), but that's for another evening.

A lovely rainy night, we need it so badly.

Happy 2007 to you and yours!

- Julia

th_11-15-2006__17_3flower4.jpg

th_11-15-2006__16_3flower3.jpg

th_11-15-2006__14_3flower2.jpg

th_11-15-2006_3flower1.jpg

Hi free2be

I use red heart super saver yarn, & when I need some yarn for a big granny, I buy 3 skeins of each color, and a different color for the edging.

Most of the time, I use 3 colors, but when I use 4 colors, with one a multi-color, it goes a lot faster, for some reason:eek

Just don't cut yourself short, if you want to make one that is about the size of a twin size bed, try to get 1 extra skein, that's what I try to do, & if i don't use all of the yarn that I bought for that afghan, I use it for something else, that wouldn't take a lot of yarn... if that makes any sense.

Thanks Carol.

Julia - Great idea you have with making a family ghan and putting all the names on it. It will be like doing family history but in crochet. It will make a great keepsake that you can hand down from generation to generation. I like the squares you have made so far, very nice.

Has anyone turned one of these into a baby blanket? I would love to see pictures if you have.

I have one that's almost finished (gotta weave the tails in) that's about the size of a baby blankie. If I can find some fresh batteries for my digital camera I'll take a picture of it and post it.

Well I am guessing that it may be too late to get in this one too. I already started working on the rectangular pattern of Erin's. I was just wondering though if anyone else had the problem of the short ends being more round than square. I am only on row 4 so it may straighten out but I just wanted to check.

Thanks

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying, I have been doing that all the way around. In every space I do 3 dc, ch1. And when I start a new color I do ch 3, 2 dc. Basically I am doing the 3dc, ch1 all the way around. I will try to take a picture later today adn post it up so everyone can see what I am talking about.

Thanks

Archived