Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

How much yarn? :think It typically takes about 40-45 oz. to make an afghan 45x60 inches which is a 'standard' afghan size. Obviously, the measurements on these afghans are somewhat different and a granny tends to use less yarn. I'm 25 rows out now and have used up 2 skeins of white, 3/4 of a skein each of celery and thyme and half of a little skein of black (all various Red Heart yarns). Oh, and the rest of the soft white (under 1/2 skein?).

If seperated by other colors, matching dye lots is not absolutely necessary except maybe for some varigated yarns, I should think. I'm using all different dye lots and heck, I can't tell. :shrug What is obvious is that I used a 'soft white' in the center area and bright whites as I worked out. :blink Maybe not the best choice, but it uses up leftovers, Dad likes it and he's claimed it already.

Robyn, you have such happy cheerful colors. Great job!!:cheer

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I didn't actually start with these colors in mind. I was sitting at my computer trying to figure out the middle part and just grabbed any yarn. Then I thought, I have a lot of SS so I will just use it up. I'm not even sure who it's for! LOL

I finished my Granny Square afghan for my parents last night. I will try to post pictures if I can figure out how. Now I am just wondering if I should wash it before I give it to them. I know if I wash it and dry it that will make it softer, but I am so nervous that it will fall apart or something. I know logically that it shouldn't, but they are coming this Saturday and it will be too late to start over if something goes wrong in the wash. What do you think...

I am so nervous that it will fall apart or something. I know logically that it shouldn't, but they are coming this Saturday and it will be too late to start over if something goes wrong in the wash. What do you think...

IMHO I would rather it fall apart on me than on the recipient....although I'm confident you have nothing to worry about....it's not gonna fall apart! :hug

I know logically that it shouldn't, but they are coming this Saturday and it will be too late to start over if something goes wrong in the wash. What do you think...

It won't come apart...!! But be sure to use DELICATE cycle, lots of water, and dry it on the cooler delicate cycle. Yarn sometimes fuzzes and this minimizes it.

The reason for the lots of water is to prevent overagitation. It never occurred to me previously that this was the probably cause of the yarn fuzzing that sometimes occurrs until I deliberately felted something.

STephanie

I think I'll join the CAL too. I finally took out the giant granny I had started several years ago.:embar I had started it when one of my brothers was getting sick alot and almost left us several times. He is retaired Marines and he also has what I call the Gulf War Symdrom. But I stopped working on it and made another afghan instead.

Its been sitting in my stash for so long and I finally found another skein of yarn :yarn to finish the round I'm on. The only problem with it is I think the blue color is discontinued now. It's RH skipper blue. The 2 beginning rows is aran then 7 rows blue then 2 rows aran. I'm on the 43rd row and I hope I have enough blue to do two more rows of blue. But after that what else can I do with it :think ? What other color could I use after this blue? I was thinking maybe some kind of darker blue :think ?

Pat A.

Someone else discovered that a row or two of black can really pop the whole ghan. it might give you an entree to use other colours/blues. So work some black, work some new stuff and get back to your black later.

One is a mistake, two is a design element.

I don't know if you're refering to me Darski but I don't think the black would look good with this. The only thing I can see in my head is some other darker blue color. Maybe a shade or two darker than the skipper blue I have now.

Pat A.

yeah, you have to see the whole to do this. I was thinking that it would depend on the stuff

The good news is that blue is one of those colours where they all look good together whatever the shade or tint.

I think I'll join the CAL too. I finally took out the giant granny I had started several years ago.:embar I had started it when one of my brothers was getting sick alot and almost left us several times. He is retaired Marines and he also has what I call the Gulf War Symdrom. But I stopped working on it and made another afghan instead.

Its been sitting in my stash for so long and I finally found another skein of yarn :yarn to finish the round I'm on. The only problem with it is I think the blue color is discontinued now. It's RH skipper blue. The 2 beginning rows is aran then 7 rows blue then 2 rows aran. I'm on the 43rd row and I hope I have enough blue to do two more rows of blue. But after that what else can I do with it :think ? What other color could I use after this blue? I was thinking maybe some kind of darker blue :think ?

Pat A.

If I'm remembering the colors right, Red Heart Blue is a darker shade than Skipper Blue. (RH Blue is my favorite blue yarn). From there (and not in order of darkness) the darker colors are Navy Blue and Royal Blue...(are there any more blues??)

What are the other colors that you've used in your afghan? Maybe someone here can help you figure out another color to use if you dont have enough Skipper Blue. Too bad I dont have any scrap of that color (used to use it a lot)

You might want to try eBay and see if anyone there is selling Skipper Blue. Sometimes you get lucky and can find a discontinued color there.

Edited to Add: The other blues in RH SS are Windsor Blue, Delft Blue, Soft Navy, Country Blue, Light Blue, Light Periwinkle (which might be a purple, cant tell on my monitor)... Dusty Teal and Turqua are iffy...I've been having problems with my color vision (eye injury) so I'm not exactly sure at the moment from looking at the colors on my monitor if those would be a blue color or a green color... I'm looking at the Coats & Clark webpage for the Super Saver yarn. http://www.coatsandclark.com/Coats/Templates/Products%20-%20Full%20Auto.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b7D132CA1-A5B2-498E-B21B-E8279267B34A%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fProducts%2fCrochet%2fYarns%2fMedium%2fRed%2bHeart%2bSuper%2bSaver%2b%2528Economy%2529%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

I'm doing a secret santa exchange with someone on the kitty board that I've been known to infrequently frequent. I decided last night to make a kitty ghan granny to send in the package. The woman lives in Arizona, so I went to my stash and got out some TLC Essentials in Sandstone and High Plains. I did about 10 or so rounds (I didn't count) in the Sandstone, and I'll do the remaining rounds in the High Plains. I chose those colors, because the sandstone reminds me of the sun, and the high plains is what I imagine the colors of sunrise or sunset would be in the desert. Plus, the colors go nicely in most decors, and the kitties will of course love it (cuz even if it's 100 degrees out, kitties like to cuddle on the yarn).

I don't know if you're refering to me Darski but I don't think the black would look good with this. The only thing I can see in my head is some other darker blue color. Maybe a shade or two darker than the skipper blue I have now.

Pat A.

----------

Hi Pat, I checked on the Coats and Clark website, and they show RH skipper blue as one of their colors, so you might be able to find it about.

I also checked on Ebay, and found this auction (ends tomorrow) that might interest you:

http://tinyurl.com/ykfo7l

If I'm remembering the colors right, Red Heart Blue is a darker shade than Skipper Blue. (RH Blue is my favorite blue yarn). From there (and not in order of darkness) the darker colors are Navy Blue and Royal Blue...(are there any more blues??)

What are the other colors that you've used in your afghan? Maybe someone here can help you figure out another color to use if you dont have enough Skipper Blue. Too bad I dont have any scrap of that color (used to use it a lot)

You might want to try eBay and see if anyone there is selling Skipper Blue. Sometimes you get lucky and can find a discontinued color there.

Edited to Add: The other blues in RH SS are Windsor Blue, Delft Blue, Soft Navy, Country Blue, Light Blue, Light Periwinkle (which might be a purple, cant tell on my monitor)... Dusty Teal and Turqua are iffy...I've been having problems with my color vision (eye injury) so I'm not exactly sure at the moment from looking at the colors on my monitor if those would be a blue color or a green color... I'm looking at the Coats & Clark webpage for the Super Saver yarn. http://www.coatsandclark.com/Coats/Templates/Products%20-%20Full%20Auto.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b7D132CA1-A5B2-498E-B21B-E8279267B34A%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fProducts%2fCrochet%2fYarns%2fMedium%2fRed%2bHeart%2bSuper%2bSaver%2b%2528Economy%2529%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

Thanks for the color ideas. My lys dosen't have a good selection of yarns. So I was thinking of taking a sample of my blue and seeing if there is something that could match it.

Pat A.

----------

Hi Pat, I checked on the Coats and Clark website, and they show RH skipper blue as one of their colors, so you might be able to find it about.

I also checked on Ebay, and found this auction (ends tomorrow) that might interest you:

http://tinyurl.com/ykfo7l

Thanks Renee. But I don't Ebay.:no But if you did find the color on the C&C website they might have it at my lys :hook . I'll check again this weekend.

Pat A.

Archived