Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

Erin, you are now at the top of my prayer list. Be well.

I can't imagine living without colour. scary. I'm trying to imagine making a giant granny without a colour sense... although people could tell you they are all blue or whatever.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:hook okay, I have officially joined this CAL. I am making a giant rectangle for my FIL. I'm about 15 rows into it, and will make it as big as it gets until he comes up for xmas. I am using shades of blue. I really like making grannys (they go so quick) and this is my first giant one.:yay

Erin, you are now at the top of my prayer list. Be well.

I can't imagine living without colour. scary. I'm trying to imagine making a giant granny without a colour sense... although people could tell you they are all blue or whatever.

Well, it didnt make me totally colorblind, it's just made colors look wonky. Yellows arent as vibrant as they should be, greens are dull, red is either washed out or looks orangish...and white looked really strange till recently.

I'd crocheted a white shawl during the first week or two of my vision problem. (I pretty much crocheted it with my eyes closed or in a dark room) I finished it within a week or so of starting it, but never finished weaving in the tails because it was so difficult to see where to weave the ends. I pulled it out last week and discovered that my eye had healed enough that I could finish the tails. I checked it over to see if I made any errors. Not a one...had one spot where the yarn split, but it wasnt bad.

Gave it to my best friend about a week ago...she loved it and said she's going to wear it to work. (she works in a warehouse! and she's wearing a white shawl there!)

Erin

I'm sorry to hear about your eye problem, and hope over time that it will get better for you . If it only affects the one eye , are you able to close that eye and just look at the colors ( like if you are buying yarn ) , can the other eye see the colors ok if you cover the affected eye ?

At least that way, maybe you could see how the colors would look together before buying them . I sure hope it improves for you .

There was a boy in my school class who was color blind, and he couldn't tell red from green, which made me wonder how he knew what to do when we were learning to drive , when he came to a red light, but he said he just had to remember which is at the top and which is at the bottom, so he could tell from that when the light was red or green .

I guess people who don't have a serious eye problem don't realize how lucky they are sometimes . We take advantage of our health sometimes until we no longer have it .

Best wishes being sent your way . :hug

Hi Everyone,

I finished one of my many giant grannies in progress. I will post a picture as soon as I can figure out how to download the picture from the memory card. This one is RH Buff and Ranch red. I am donating it to the Toys for Tots campaign. They are going to raffle it off.

Mel, your ghan is too cute and so is your cat. I have a black and white cat also but she is more black than white. She looks like she has on white shoes. :)

Erin, I am sorry to hear about your eye problem. I pray it clears up permanently. :hug

Mel-

What a neat picture ! A cat with a matching mat ! I like it ( the cat and the mat ! )

I have no pets, so am totally clueless on this, but I have heard that animals are color blind. Do any of you know if that is true ?

That'd be neat if your cat knew his blankie was the same color as he was !:lol

Believe it or not, I spoke to a Vet who told me that while in College he did research on animals that we commonly think are colorblind. His study showed that cats DO respond better to Blues and Greens but they also can see other colors but they don't have the need to differenciate (sorry spelling) the colors. They don't say "Ok this is yellow and so stay away from it":lol Dogs, well, they just wanted to make him happy...go figure, right?:think

And about Kaleigh, my kitty....she actually recognized her coloring on the mat when I gave it to her. I asked her where was the white part of her mat, she looked at my big skein of white on the floor. But then she sniffed the white part of the mat. I don't know, maybe I thought too much into it but Kaleigh can see colors in my eyes or maybe its just wishful thinking.

Now, the other afghan that I am currently working on, the purple one is getting bigger...I will post the pictures of it when I am finished but now I have put it aside to work on a Runner for my aunt who is suffering from Cancer. Erin, I truly do sympathize with your eye problem. I hope that everything turns out well for you though. Happy thoughts and while I crochet, I will think about you with every stitch:hug

I love looking at these when the pictures are posted and I keep thinking that I should really make one. Then I remember those lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ong rows of the same old same old and I regain my sanity just in time.

Not that I'm judging any one who makes one of these .. :no:wlol

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/crochetk/100_0715.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/crochetk/100_0713.jpg

Here is Kaleigh enjoying her new b/w kitty granny square mat. I just made 9 squares and crocheted them together (lost the needle to whip stitch) and she is quite contented with her mat.

-----------

Mel, your kitty looks too cute on her matching blankie! I'll bet she's loving having it.

Julie~I really like the camo granny, it's very masculine. Does your SIL hunt alot? It really would be the perfect gift for a hunter & he could stay warm in the woods and still stay hidden. Very cool, great job! :cheer:clap

CroCrazy~I bet your ghan is beautiful. I really like the ranch red & buff, i'm using them in my prairie star ghan. What a great cause too. :yes

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments .

Tab- this is for my son in law who is in the army . I don't think he has ever been hunting as far as I know . He just got shipped to

Iraq and my daughter said it is very cold over there at night ,so I whipped him up a blanket . It'll go out in this week's mail once I round him up some snacks to put in the package .

Welcome - Ohio

What part of the state are you from ?

I'm late to this party, and a newbie here at Crochetville! I couldn't stand the temptation any longer and started in on a neapolitan colored granny last night. I've been so inspired seeing all the afghans here and can't wait to finish this one!

I do have a pic on my blog

www.christinesflowers.com/blog

Looking forward to getting to know you all here!

-Christine

I'm late to this party, and a newbie here at Crochetville! I couldn't stand the temptation any longer and started in on a neapolitan colored granny last night. I've been so inspired seeing all the afghans here and can't wait to finish this one!

I do have a pic on my blog

www.christinesflowers.com/blog

Looking forward to getting to know you all here!

-Christine

Hey Christine your neapolitan granny is delicious!! One of my favorite ice cream flavors:P . Great job and looking forward to seeing you around more

Julie~That was so thoughtful of you to make him a ghan for Iraq. I'm sorry to hear he's over there, it's just so sad. Anyways I won't get on a touchy subject. I just wanted you to know he'll be in my thoughts while he's there. :hug

I worked on my mini granny ghan for a bit yesterday. I needed time on a more relaxing project & to be far away from the PS. LOL. I was able to finish up another skein & am half way through the next one. After this skein of yellow I only have two skeins left, blue & orange. :yay

Thanks for the good thoughts, Tabby

It sounds like you are well on your way to finishing your 2nd granny ! Good for you. I know what you mean about he PS- it gets a little tedious after awhile ,doesn't it ?

Which reminds me, I need to find time to take a photo of mine. I finally have the points done and one diamond of the white .

I'll try to get that done sometime today. I have been doing more Christmas shopping and trying to get some things ready to mail out, so it's been a busy morning .

Ok, if you all remember what my purple afghan looked like I have 2 people drooling over it. They want it and I was kinda hoping to keep it for myself but I think I will break down and give it to my mom for her anniversary present (December 19th). Oh well....the next one is MINE ALL MINE :devil :devil :devil :devil

Archived