Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephanie that is really pretty, I'm just curious what brand of yarn are you using?

Anyone who has done this with homespun how did it turn out? I want to try it but am not sure seeings as how that is expensive yarn.

Thanks ladies!!

Melissa, the greens are TLC Essentials in Celery and Med. Thyme. The white near the center is Red Heart Soft White. These are warm colors, which is probably why my Mom chose them for her Rose Afghan (I'm using up the leftovers in this granny). The rest of the white are various brands in bright white. Red Heart yarn also has several shades of Sage. They have a blue overcast (cool colors).

If you want to use the TLC Essentials, I recommend using Red Heart white to act as a stabilizer for the softer, less stable yarns. The final afghan will hold its shape better during use.

Stephanie

I'm almost done!

Six Homespun skeins used up, bought one more last night for an edge row. It's not quite twin-size, but it's close. It's heavy, don't think I'd want to make it any bigger.

_Carrie

Ok y'all I finished Kaleigh's black and white kitty mat but I will be getting the pictures posted on Monday when I get back to work. The library here frowns on posting digital pictures online....BUT I have some great pictures that I will get on here showing Kaleigh lounging on her new mat.

Hi Melannie, I'm sure your kitty is loving her kittyghan. Can't wait to see pictures!

It's been fairly cool at nights here the past week or so, so I have the one blanket that I ever made and kept for myself on my bed (cuz it's warm!), and the kitties love it. They've been plastered to my bed all week.

Hi,

Can I join this CAL? I have like 3 of these in progress now. I just about finished w/one and about 3/4 of the ways finished w/the other two.

It seems I am always working on one these type of afghans. They are just so easy!

Nice to meet all of you.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/crochetk/100_0715.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/crochetk/100_0713.jpg

Here is Kaleigh enjoying her new b/w kitty granny square mat. I just made 9 squares and crocheted them together (lost the needle to whip stitch) and she is quite contented with her mat.

Mel-

What a neat picture ! A cat with a matching mat ! I like it ( the cat and the mat ! )

I have no pets, so am totally clueless on this, but I have heard that animals are color blind. Do any of you know if that is true ?

That'd be neat if your cat knew his blankie was the same color as he was !:lol

Mel - your blanket is lovely and so is your cat. I love cats, have 2 of my own and they are my babies as Im sure yours is. In one of the photos the look on his face as if to say this rug is mine and your not getting it... hehe

Julie - I think your right about animals being color blind

Cats can see blues and greens but cant see reds.

Dogs cant see greens, but can see and distinguish reds and blues.

And animals, like birds, that are brightly colored are probably not colorblind. (why would they be so brightly colored if they couldnt see it?)

I'd wondered what colorblindness was like...until late August of this year. I developed a neurological problem in my optic nerve of my left eye. It screwed up my red/green color vision in the left eye. It's slowly coming back, but I'm worried that it wont be what it was before.

Acquired colorblindness (loss of color vision due to illness) really sucks. I could deal with fuzzy vision, blindspots and even wonky depth perception, but not being able to distinguish between greens and yellows and having reds look washed out or muted really sucks. (at least I can still see colors thru my right eye)

it would just kill me if I could not see colour.

I love colour and it is one of the joys of my life. i guess having had colour vision and losing it is harder than not knowing colour at all. You know what you are now missing?

Yep. I think that's what depressed me the most about what happened. For about a month or so, whenever I went to WM, my dad tried to cheer me up by offering to buy me some yarn. I didnt want any. I'm a bit better about that now. (I've gotten a ton of yarn in the past couple of weeks)

Hopefully my eye will keep healing. It'll usually improve for a day or three, and then slide back to crappy vision for a bit before becoming less crappy. At least the amount of time the better vision sticks around has been longer and longer.

I'm glad it was only one eye that was affected. I'd probably have become suicidal at some point if both my eyes had been affected.

Archived