Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carol- I really like the yellow-- I think it MAY be the first yellow afghan I have ever seen. It is very pretty and bright and cheerful looking !

:clap

** Andrea -

I sent the PS diagram to you twice through email and it got sent back both times. Do you have a different email address I could try ? Please pm me if you want me to try it again .

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. Every time I go to Wal-mart I have to pick up a few skeins of the colors that I am working on. My black and white kitty loves the black and white one that I am working as motifs, sorry I didn't get pics of that one...its a WIP. I love granny squares especially doing a CAL like this. Oh what fun!

Carrie

It's the WONKEY DONKEY !!! I love that name . CUTE CUTE CUTE . :)

Your afghan is very pretty and looks very soft and squishy !

Wendy- that was a funny line about Mel's cat-- it WILL be invisible if he lays on a black and white afghan. I'd love to see a photo of that, Mel !!!:lol

Carol (natcat)

Wow! I just went to your blog, and you have some gorgeous afghans there! I love them all! It really inspires me to try to do one. I've got a lot of other WIP's, but I really want to do one for this lady who is like a Grandma to my husband's family and me. Anyway, just beautiful work! :) I'm not very good at colors, but everyone's are so neat how you decided what color and where and everything. I'm envious! Any suggestions to someone who isn't very good with colors?

Victoria

Hi Vickietoria!!!

Thank you for the sweet compliment:manyheart

When I started out with the ripples, one of our daughters and her family said they weren't picky of what colors they liked, so we just picked out some colors, to go with each other, and so I picked out a multi-colored yarn, then picked out some colors of yarn in the multi yarn ( to go with the multi), then most of the time I stay with that, & maybe a soft white, white, in between

the other colors to kind of break it up.....

**w

ith the grannies, one of our grandaughters loves smiley faces, she told us that last year, but at the time, I didn't have any idea how I could get a big smiley face in the afghan, so this year, I just typed "smiley face hot pad" in the address bar, & I got a cute pattern for a smiley face hot pad, & I crocheted the hotpad first, just to make sure I could crochet something that looked nice, then I picked out the yarn, so I figured that "why not pick out some yellow shades of yarn to go with the smiley face??" the lightest color of yarn is really red heart super saver soft white (& next to the yellows, it looks like a soft light yellow shade!!), & when I crocheted it next to the pale yellow, and bright yellow,then with those 3 colors of yarn, I wanted something to kind of break it up a little, or I thought it would be too much yellow, so we picked out white, & I asked my husband, what did he thing would be nice looking for the edges?? & he picked out Red Heart ss Gold!!

When I made the purple grannies, we already knew that our other daughter-in-law loves purple shades, so that's what I picked out, but not too dark, then it would look kind of depressing to both of us..

The blue & white granny, is a red heart ss light blue, delft blue, & white, simply because it's for one of our son's so, that' what I wanted him to have:manyheart

If you pick out some shades of yarn, try to pick out a very light color of the same shade to go with it, in between the colors, or you can just keep the shades you picked out!!

Also, if you pick out about 3 shades plus a light one, while you are crocheting the granny, it goes much faster, then if there are about using 2 shades,like the rainbow one, it went pretty fast!!!

I have a granny that I started last night & and the size of it already is 46 1/2" x 35", and it's just been a little over 24 hours, since I started it, not working on it the whole time I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, & post it on the blog....

I'm joining you on your Afghan-a-long now that I finished a major project. When I made my Mom's Rose Granny afghan, she rejected a couple of colors and I couldn't return them (either I made a square or I lost the receipt). :( So, I'm using those, along with leftover white, to make this afghan. My primary colors will be TLC celery, and Red Heart sage and white. I'm starting quickly because I need a take-a-long project for this month's medical appointments (I'm the chauffer) starting tomorrow.

I just love some of the afghans already posted to this thread! Same pattern, but they look so different!

Take care all,

Stephanie

Who technically should be working on her 63 square afghan...:blush

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on these 58 pages, but how large should I make my square granny afghan? I am using the Sensation Rainbow Boucle. It's pretty cool because it seems to change colors each row and I just keep crocheting and crocheting. By the way, does anyone know if all the sensation rainbow boucle are varigated? On the JoAnn's website some of the colors look solid.

Thanks,

Colleen :hook

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on these 58 pages, but how large should I make my square granny afghan? I am using the Sensation Rainbow Boucle. It's pretty cool because it seems to change colors each row and I just keep crocheting and crocheting. By the way, does anyone know if all the sensation rainbow boucle are varigated? On the JoAnn's website some of the colors look solid.

Thanks,

Colleen :hook

I used about 7 skeins of Homespun before I stopped. My blanked measure about 40" wide and 58" long.

I just started another one with Bernat Boucle, but still using a K hook. So far it seems like it's turning out to be about the same size as the Homespun, although much lighter. The skeins have more yardage though, so my five skeins of Boucle might go farther than the Homespun did.

I know that the JoAnn's Boucle has about 800 yards in it, so your blanket might get pretty big with just the one skien! I bet it's looking wonderful! :manyheart

Mollie

The majority of the Rainbow Boucle from Joann's is varigated.. I have seen some (but not in a while) of more "tweed" type in their stores.

I saw a rusty brown and I have a medium pink, I seem to remember a blue also. Anyway I have used up on skein and was just doing the square granny with a size K hook and its approx. 23". I plan on getting one more skein to finish it off. I do not tend for it to be any bigger than 36". Use those coupons when purchasing, this weekend (11/11) Joann's has an additional 10% off the entire purchase.

I did see what I thought were newer colors: they looked like they have approx two inches of a color and then the main color (I saw them in baby colors and one in browns/cream) again in the store :hook

Archived