Giant Granny Square Afgan Along?

Melibean223

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gang-

this is for anyone of you that made a really BIG one of these -- like big enough to fit a twin bed or bigger.

How many ounces of yarn did it take ? I may start another one that I want to be BIG, but have no clue how much yarn to get.

Thanks -

Julie~Well, hmmm.....I used stash so I really don't know an exact. But I can tell you that the skeins of windsor blue you sent me made 7 rounds, they were my last 7 so I guess that's not too bad. I used alot of partial skeins but i'de say atleast 10-12 skeins.

Jaden wants a blankie of his own so his father & him ganged up on me. So, I will probably be starting a small granny ghan shortly. I think i'm just going to use my caron ss brites that I have in my stash. They're not full skeins but some are close so I think it'll do. :hook

Thanks for the info, Tabby

I bet you get ganged up on a lot in your house, since you have all "BOYS" in your house .

Do you have to watch sports 8 hours a day and if one gets an afghan, you have to make them ALL one ?

The SS brites would be great for a small one of these -- I have made Cam a couple afghans out of it and he loves them . He always wants the really brite colors too !

*snicker* I love the word "wonky"....

Big afghans can be heavy, but they are really great on beds or for wrapping up in on the couch. This homespun is making a pretty dense / heavy 'ghan, not one that you would drag around with you but it is soft and cozy. I've gone through 2 full skeins and am partially through two more (switching colors); I have an additional two in the closet and I'll see how big it is then, decide if I need to get any more or leave it on the small side.

I really like the blue/white color pallete that jstwannacrochet (sp) used; I'm partial to those colors so I try to make non-blue items to balance things out. lol...

And the yellow one is so cheerful!!! My daughter would love it, might have to see about that rainbow boucle... I've seen it at JoAnn and it looks/feels soft and airy...

Thanks for the info, Tabby

I bet you get ganged up on a lot in your house, since you have all "BOYS" in your house .

Do you have to watch sports 8 hours a day and if one gets an afghan, you have to make them ALL one ?

The SS brites would be great for a small one of these -- I have made Cam a couple afghans out of it and he loves them . He always wants the really brite colors too !

Julie~Yeah, it happens alot. As for the sports, heck NO. I hate sports so we don't watch them at all. Thankfully my hubby isn't a sports fanatic, he did like football when I first met him but ummm.......let's just say he loves me more. :blush And yes, my two older ones will probably pitch a fit at some point for me to make them there own ghans.

Jaden loves bright orange but it's the one color I don't have in my stash so I probably will buy a skein of that for his ghan. He's just too dang cute not to. :manyheart:yes

Wow, Olga

That is gonna be a whopping big afghan ! Can't wait to see it done .

Tabby- well, we watch sports here . I never did growing up since I had no brothers and my dad worked a lot ,so wasn't home to watch a lot of tv .

Since I had 2 boys though, I soon learned to watch ( and like ) sports . I like football best ,baseball is ok, but I had to have my oldest boy explain all the rules to me. He even gave me a written test in the end to make sure I learned all I needed to know .

I don't care for tennis ,car racing or golf (BORING ) ---but no offense to those of you that like it, I just don't .

We rarely watch basketball, I don't know why . We just never have watched it much .

Can't stand boxing -- too violent for me .

I love the olympics, though -winter and summer .

Wow, the early part of this afghan goes quickly. I brought my Dad to his appointment this a.m. and already have 8 rows done (even though I restarted 3 times)! Tomorrow's appointment is 3 hours, so I will get a lot done. I'll post a photo then.

Another poster asked about the big afghans getting 'wonky'. It all depends on the yarn. If you have a soft yarn, in tends to not hold a shape as well as a denser yarn. What I do then is add a couple of rows with another, more dense stitch, to give it stability. About every 12 rows should be enough. You can do something as simple as a row of dc in every stitch, then return to granny stitches. I've only made square granny afghans before, but I should think the same thing would be true with a rectangle as well. You likely wouldn't need this extra stability unless your afghan is going to be larger than 60 inches.

Hope this helps,

Stephanie

Stephanie

Wendy~That beautiful, love the purple.

When I went to Wally World for yarn for the PS tonight I also picked up a skein of the brite orange so I can start a granny ghan for Jaden. I hope to get started on it soon since I think it'll fly by.

(sung to the wicked witch is dead!) Lol

"Ding dong my ghan is done, my ghan is done , my ghan is done ...ding dong my granny ghan is doooonnnee!!! YIPPPEEEE....:clap This is on a queen sized bed.

th_Afghan.jpg

Archived