How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

Amy

How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

• $0-$10
    • $11-$25
    • $26-$50
    • $50-$100
    • Over $100

I said 11-25. I'm lucky enough to have a mother who also crochets, and I've inherited a lot fo her stash, so I don't have to spend quite as much, unless I have a really specific project to do. I just bought 5 skeins of lion heart Homespun for a project, so that was my whole budget for the month. Lol.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I only have one tote too and my hubby says that I have enough yarn to crochet us a new house.

:sofunny LOL!!! I'm waiting for that very same comment from mine!

The stash is growing and taking over, as I don't have a place for it yet (recently gave away a lot of my old stuff to make room for other things). :blush

I don't really keep track but, I would say that I spend in the 11-25 range, I have a large stash that I am trying to reduce. So unless I find some on sale or need a specific color or style for something I am working, I don't buy too much. My last purchase was in January and I bought 2 skiens of bernat super stripes a 3.88 each for a a scarf my sister requested, the same day I bought 5 skeins of phentex fashion four a big lots for $1 each (also for requested scarfs)

So I think I am doing pretty good, not thinking about buying more yarn, well maybe just a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I also don't keep track, I buy when I want something and always make sure to buy enough. I would guess about 50/100 a month some months more and some less. I watch the online sales and order when I see something I want. I use lots of DMC thread and it is kind of spendy.

I don't really keep track, but just thinking about the purchases I've made this month alone, I would say I'm in the $26-$50 range. I buy more when I have the extra cash, and less when I don't. And now that I've discovered my LYS, I have a feeling that amount might go up slightly--they don't really carry anything in the "cheap" category. :hook

I usually only buy the fancy-schmancy(sp) stuff if it is on one of those Micheals,Jo-anns,DollarTree, or BigLots sales the $1 or $2 balls that normally go for $5 and up. I have a friend that gave me some of her yarn when she de-stashed. I don't buy yarn at my LYS. I go to crochet on saturdays at one shop(everyone else knits, but they are nice to me.) I buy my Quicksilver hooks at another because that is the only place nearby to purchase them.

I only work one day a week at a local bar (I'm a SAHM, otherwise), so my tips end up my craft money (unless I'm saving for something special). On a really good I'll take home $250.... and I have blown it all on :yarn yarn :yarn.:hook

I have no clue, but I know that when I got it all out on the bed one day to sort it. I really was amazed at how much yarn I had. I could open up a small store with it. I buy a couple balls when ever I go to the store if I see something I really like. Then I am always looking at Thrift stores and yard sales for skeins. I figure even one skeing I can do something with.

Glenda G

I put aside $100 a month, but it doesn't always all go to yarn. Sometimes I'll buy pattern books too. Sometimes I won't buy anything one month and then the next month I'll lose my mind and spend two months' worth of yarn budget all at once. I figure if I don't spend it on me it will get spent on something else, either way the money is going to go, so I might as well spend it on something I like! :lol I think my worst month ever in terms of money put out for yarn was November of 2005 when I spend a grand total of $350 on yarn on Ebay! Every day for about a week and a half either the mailman or UPS would show up with CARTONS of the stuff for me! :hook My average monthly outlay for yarn though is between $50 and $100.

Elle

• 3 weeks later...
I have to say probably between 50 and 100....but that's an average. It all depends on how many good sales there are. I definitely can't pass up a good sale...or bargain....or coupon....or auction....or .... :lol

A review of my checkbook and yarn stash, reviels about $100 per month. I travel a lot with work and I hit a yarn store in every port of call!! I also like to buy those Ironstone afghan kits, they are soooooo beautiful. But I have to agree with Wildflwr, I love the coupons, sales, bargins etc.!! I always get sucked into those "spend $150 and get $50 off sales!:lol

I marked the $11- $25 category but that's not accurate. I'm on a tight budget and only buy yarn when I need it.

• 3 weeks later...

i can spend close to 100 a month if i really go shopping but i have to say i have been good and have not really bought any lately i did buy some pink camo 9 skeins was around 37 with shipping and thats been all i have bought

I think I'm in the vein of most people. I spend probably at least $50 on average, but if I really added it all up, it would probably be much more. I kind of buy in spurts. If you add in pattern books as well, I'd be higher for sure. :)

Archived