How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

Amy

How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

• $0-$10
    • $11-$25
    • $26-$50
    • $50-$100
    • Over $100

Well...

I'm probably only buying yarn consistently b/c I work at A.C.Moore and have a pretty decent employee discount.

I've had to cut back though. It got to be where I had yarn on top of every surface and yarn in bags in a pile, and still more yarn in big plastic bins. I'm nearly done with my 3rd stash busting afghan. It's on a size 13 knitting needle and it has 2 strands together. I guess i've made sortof a dent in the pile. IDK yet really, I need to spend some time condensing it all. After that I will need to finish up 2 ripple afghans I started a year ago.

I suppose after those are done i'll need to do another scrap afghan....

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well...

I'm probably only buying yarn consistently b/c I work at A.C.Moore and have a pretty decent employee discount.

Omg. I would be in soooo much trouble. :eek (as would many of us, I'm sure :lol )

• 2 weeks later...

I put myself in the $50-$100, but I would be really afraid to add up my purchases. I know that just last week while I was on a trip I stopped in on 4 different LYS's and of course had to buy something at each one. All together I spent just under $200. I found some gorgeous baby alpaca ( alpacawithatwist) and then some wonderful merino wool in amazing color ( Malabrigo) as well as some various other cottons and wools. I am not usually that bad though.

Oh well, it keeps me from being completely depressed (looks like I am coping in some unhealthy ways!) but I usually give away at least half of the things I make, and hope to do better in the charity area in the future. Stormy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the $100 and over club as well.....ah well, I'd rather be spending my money on that than anything else. It makes me happy....and when I'm happy everyone else is happy as well.

:cat

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really have a fixed budget when it comes to buying yarns. At times I'd buy a lot of yarn and stash it at home and never buy again til I'm almost out of yarn. Other times I buy only a few skeins of yarn that I really need for a pattern I want to try out.

• 2 weeks later...

If I have any money left over after bills, food and whatever the babies need. I'll buy some yarn. LOL..that is why it is mostly Red Heart SS. I can get about 10 skines for a little over 25 dollars.

• 1 month later...

It's scary, when I stop to actually think about it! I don't hit the weekly sales at the big stores. I don't buy yarn every month, let alone every week... but I do buy a lot whe I have a good sale at my LYS, or at the distributors. I would have said under $50, but... then I went back through this year's yarn aquisitions.... :eek

When I average in the Superbowl sale at my LYS, the online sale at Carodan Farms, the JCA warehouse sale in October and the Westminster Fibers warehouse sale in December together with the other random yarn purchases in January, February, April, May, September, and late September..... uh oh... Mom always said it was good to be above average, right?:think

Oh yeah, do birthday gifts of Colinette yarns from dh get averaged in? If so I'm in trouble...

Now I just need someone to come clean my house so I can crochet all this yarn! :hook

I am in the $11-25 range most months. I try to crochet from stash so I am not spending so much on yarn. When that gets low, I spend more on rebuilding it or I have to buy yarn for a specific project. Sometimes I am spending more than $25 but I still keep it under $50 by bargain hunting, using coupons & shopping for yarn at thrift stores. I find a good stash helps the most to keep me out of the yarn store lol...I can usually sub yarns in a project & use up what I have. Space keeps my stash at a reasonable level so I do have to shop for yarn sometimes :)

I love acquiring yarn but I prefer to spend more time crocheting than in the yarn aisles.

The last time I bought yarn was 7 months ago for the stole/shawl swap. I also have months where I don't buy any yarn and go on a buying frenzy for a few days and then go without for longer periods of times. So about $10/month sounds about right. I used to belong in the over $100 club, but that was when I was working. I try to use stash (w/c I have plenty of) but sometimes you gotta get that special yarn somewhere else (mostly eBay, bad, bad diva!)

I was spending about $100 a month until i finally was able to get all the materials i needed to complete my christmas gifts this year. Now I look for materials that are for me to start work on after christmas. I am always looking for sales at Joanne's and Michael's Crafts.

• 3 weeks later...

i probably spend about $50 to a $100 a month on yarn... and i get the cheap craft store stuff!!!

i just always have projects going on, and i'm really fast at finishing... plus i'm always buying new hooks and needles and notions almost every time i hit the craft store. (my new obsession is bamboo knitting needles... i buy a pair every time i go buy yarn)

my new year's resolution is to de-stash. i must use what i have in my stash to make items for myself or family members before i can buy more yarn. but if i am commissioned or making items to sell, then i can go buy more yarn lol hehe i love the loophole.

but right now, i'm destashing by making earflap hats for my cousins (i made two for their twins... they loved them so much they wanted their own!) and by finding small projects so i can rid myself of all my scrap.

Good poll. Now that I think about it I haven't bought yarn in months. I got so into yarn collecting when I first started that I work out of my stash now.

I probably average between $50-100, but I also have a sneaking suspicion that if I added it all up, I would be surprised (shocked) at how much I really spend.

Ditto. I allowed myself $200 or so in December for Xmas projects, and ran more like $250. But for other months, I wanna say $50-100. That's already too much, but am afraid to tally the receipts to really know for sure. As my DH always says, denial is not a river in Egypt.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually only buy yarn when it's on sale or I buy enough for the pattern I'm working on. I always feel like I need to use up the yarn I have before I buy more, it the penny pincher in me.

i have a monthly craft budget of not more than $20 australian dollars per month, but that has to cover all my crafts, crochet, cross stitch are the main ones, but there is also knitting sewing and card making. So I tend to use a lot of acrylic because if i bought wool i would be lucky to save enough wool in six months to make anything nice, and it would take a lot longer if i was trying to make an afghan.

Lucky for me I don't have a LYS all that close to me. There are some months I don't spend anything, and then there are some months where I'll spend up to $50. I don't think there have been any months where I've spent too much more than $50. Since I found a LYS and fell in love with all the wonderful yarns there, it is hard for me to 'accept' RHSS and some of the others. They just seem too mundane to me! :blush That's not to say I don't have a zillion projects I want to do.

My stash is quite large though, or at least it seemed that way until I started my stripey blankie. I also used up quite a bit when it came to a few holiday presents this winter....

I spend $20 regularly every month, but then we get our taxes back, and we pay bills, and we each get a little for ourselves and I splurge then and spend 100-200 at once. But then there is the sales where all yarn is 25% off and my hubby takes me to the store :yes I LOVE those days!!! I don't know, I'm really working on depleting my stash right now, but I spent probably $500 last year.... dear goodness! That's a months rent.. :eek

Archived