How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

Amy

How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on yarn each month (on average)?

• $0-$10
    • $11-$25
    • $26-$50
    • $50-$100
    • Over $100

It depends, I buy alot at thrift stores. Today I bought some stretchy ribbon looking yarn, without labels for 5 balls for $1.00 I bought 10, enough I hope for a hat ans carf, maybe mittens. but there was 10 times that much there! of course you all are enabling me to spend more by telling me all about the sales!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

never really sat down and figured it up.. but i'd dare to say that i am in the over $100 a month range...especially now since i am stocking up for winter. i occasionally find yarn at a thrift store, but most of the time i go to michaels or to walmart.

I voted about 50 per month. I'm still new to crochet and I find I have been just picking up whatever is pretty or on sale. Sadly, I have already made some regretable buys, but I have to learn somehow

I wish I could spend more than $100 a month on yarn! but I don't have the money or the time and my family despises my crochet hobby. I'm a college student working two pt jobs just trying to pay off tuition and rent and I'm trying to save money for after college so I don't have very much money to spend on yarn. I'll usually buy a skein or 2 once every couple of months.

That's terrible that your family despises your crochet hobby! Don't they realize how lucky they are that you HAVE a hobby? So many young people today don't have any interest at all in doing anything creative, and they're into things that are FAR worse than making things with yarn and a hook! I think it's great that you love to crochet! If you were my child, I would support you 100%!!! :cheer

Elle

DH is a warehouse store junkie, i.e., we will never run out of paper products, light bulbs, etc. That said, he is always telling me to buy more yarn "so you have enough". I eventually showed him my stash and he was a bit taken back, but not too badly.;)

After haunting AC Moore and WM, WM finally got some pretty Christmas yarn, so yesterday I bought 19 skeins 1/2 with metallic thread and 1/2 solid SS. I came home with it and said "remember how you said I should always buy yarn so I'll have enough?"

Ha Ha, he laughed and said "You finally did it!" :clap How's that for enabling.....

• 3 weeks later...

I think I need to revise how much I spend a month close to christmas...I feel like I am running to the store to pick up yarn every couple of days. I am trying to make 4 rr's as xmas gifts for my mother and three sisters. This is the first time I have made any that were adult size. I just started my 7th rr this am, but the first 5 were baby and child size. The bigger ones use a lot more yarn...but that's okay it just gives me an excuse to feed my addiction, as if I REALLY needed one.:D

I said around 25 a month, but my count from the day after thanksgiving until now is just over 50, and will probably be back for more before the week is up.

• 2 weeks later...

sssssh! dont you know a woman never tells how much she spends on yarn per month or day for that fact! lol i would say this is one of those times a little white lie isnt such a bad thing?, "what they dont know wont hurt them? and we dont tell how much we spend on books and patterns either.:yes just kidding, i would say about 50 dollars(books and yarn), i try real hard to keep things in check and ask myself if i will really make the project or do i really neeeeed that yarn just cause i like the color, sometimes it works and well other times.......i do find a lot of great stuff at thrift shops i get so much more for the buck! dani

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

lhasaapsolady -If I break it down by month on what my hubby actually spends in a years time it is over $100 a month. He can't go to any store that has yarn on sale without picking it up for me, even if I'm not with him. I find a way to use it. Guess that makes me a little nuts.

Maybe your hubby should talk to mine, LOL. He buys me yarn once in a while, I have 2 small shelves and he thinks thats a lot.I spend 10$ or less on yarn a month.I cant wait until the flea market and yard sales, i get great deals on yarn.

Kim

There's a Sunday flea market here where I get my yarn and it's really cheap so I haven't had to spend more than $10 per month. I bought nine different colors for $2 so I'm good for a little while. Also Wal-Mart's been having pretty good sales lately.

I'm not sure I don't keep track probably so I don't feel guilty.But almost all of it is for gifts so I think I am actually saving money? That's my story and I am sticking to it.!!

Archived